Zelkami's gallery-thingy

Zelkami

Going to be making this a more dedicated thread where I can post progress and such. Still very much open to critique.

[spoiler=Old Topic]I'm rather new to this whole spriting thing, so forgive me if I've made any rookie mistakes. These are a handful of the character mugs I've been working on. To be clear, I'm looking for ways to make the mugs look cleaner, things like coloring and shading, etc. Please let me know if there's a format more convenient to critique I can upload in.

yf95KK2.png

EDIT: Two more I think could use some work

c2uy4KK.png

Just a couple of things to note, I realize the outline color of the Cavalier isn't consistent with the others. I will adjust it when I go back to make changes. I also don't care about the 15 color limit, as I intend to use these portraits in FEXNA when it's finished.

[spoiler=10/17/16 Update]

YqwczaC.png

Edited by Zelkami

c2uy4KK.png

You've pointed out these need work. The right guy's face did not face the same direction as the original character (I forget that FE6 knight's name). Although you can make different angled heads and faces work well, this seems a little extensive, as his entire back of his head (and hair) would need an alteration for that face to work with it.

Keep up the good work though! There are a few other things I'd fix on the first category of photos as well.

Edited by Avril Lavigne

Thanks for the critique. Anything specific about the group in the first image though? I have more, but they were all simple enough that I don't think I messed them up so bad. I think all the examples I posted look a bit off, which is why I posted them specifically.

Edited by Zelkami

First attempt at a complete hackbox. Anything I could improve on?

FE5HmlB.png

[spoiler=More]

tEBKGHk.png

j32Iial.png

Also, while we're on the subject, is there an easy way to make Chibis by altering the full portrait somehow? For this one, I had to go back and resplice it, which I'm not sure I have the patience for in the long run, as I have a whole lot of mugs I'd like to use that I didn't think to make chibis for.

Edited by Zelkami

• 1 month later...

Bit of a necrobump, but what the hell. I've been getting better lately, so I'd like to know what you guys think of my newer splices.

http://i.imgur.com/E9YlJOg.png

Don't mind the ugliness of NotSonia's left shoulder, that's still being worked on.

The green-haired's body is completely disproportionate from her head. Her body needs to be a bit bigger. I'm assuming you custom-drew that? Not bad. I can't custom draw worth a crap.

The one with Lyn's face and Syrene's body, the ear is not defined. Her hair also needs a little bit of reworking.

I mean, I guess all of them need a bit of maintenance at least, but they aren't horrid by any means. Good work! Keep practicing. :)

Edited by Avril Lavigne

Would you say this is an improvement, body-wise? There are still a few errors in places, because I couldn't get the current version to look right with the advice you gave, so I had to go back to an earlier one.

6TMEvAK.png

Also, I'm flattered you thought I customed the body, but it's mostly adapted from Niemi's beta sprite.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Far left guy looks like his body is too narrow somehow, also his hair goes on top of his collar looks weird

second one's hair color kind of "glows" awkwardly to me; particularly with the brightest color (can't tell to well w/o zooming)

third one is very wow much impress (I really love it); her hair above her band on her left side (right side of the canvas) looks a little blobby somehow?

fourth one I really like!!

fifth one looks very clean and complete, I like it quite a bit C:

• 1 month later...

I somehow completely missed the archer not having eyebrows. Thanks for pointing that out.

EDIT: Didn't really come out as I might've liked, but I think it's good enough for now.

rXWlGLA.png

Edited by Zelkami

The orange haired girl looks really good, she is my favorite of the group, but if you trim her hair from the sides a little bit she would look even better imo. Some of them could use some fixing like the second mug on the top row looks like the face doesn't match where the body is pointing, and the fourth mug on the top row the top of her hair doesn't match her forehead.

• 2 weeks later...

All of them lack/don't have defined eyebrows lol, but I like the last one, he's checking his medieval fashion style and if the belts are as FF as possible, also the second mug's hair is very reminiscent to Mist's hair.

Edited by Glaceo

I have a hard time drawing eyebrows. They either look really pillowed or out of place whenever I try to custom them. Also, Mist-hair girl gets her hair from one of the NickT collection characters, for which I think he just adjusted the size from the GBA style Tellius collection. In hindsight, it is pretty obvious, so I think I might change her tail thingies to something else in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

A few random things I feel like sharing.

Doofy looking Rodian. The hackbox is a little bit glitched, but it is insertable.

HeiNhgu.png

The above animation in motion. Shoulder is messed up looking, but I have an idea on how to fix it.

bb38825c-e357-11e6-90b8-f1166692b30f.gif

Working on converting Malice's portrait to GBA style. Not quite finished, but I like the way it's turning out. Obviously it's much too big, but I will be sizing it down.

D8wC1HF.png