First playthrough advice

FE6 is "sword-emblem" because this game made the accuracy of axes and lances worse than in other parts for no reason.

Not quite; it's Sword Emblem for the Isles, but in Ilia and Bern you're up against a lot of Lance users. In Bern they hit hard (max str + silver lances on the Lords), and your Swords aren't doing much damage to them.

I'd say it's biased against Axes but it's not the worst thing ever, because hitrates are low against bosses with high evade regardless of whether or not you're using a sword or lance or axe. It's definitely more biased towards Lances though, with Durandal/Wyrmslayer being good swords, because the best combat units in endgame are units like Miledy, Percival, Shin, and like Alance and Zeiss.

Yeah, good luck! :) Chapter 7 is most likely the hardest chapter in the game, partly because you don't really have that many super units at this point.

A little hint: You'll get three new recruits in this chapter, two of them being Cavaliers (both decent, but underleveled) and the third one a slightly better Marcus (still useful at this point, imho).

Two of them spawn before turn 2 and Roy can just not reach them on his own that turn. However, if you give him a little boost towards the spawn point on turn 1 via rescue/take/drop, you can use him to recruit them immediately (they can recruit each other, so you'll get them in one turn) before they run off doing stupid shit. Instead, you can use Rescue and Canto to back up a bit and to recruit the remaining Cav whos spawnes one turn later.

Also, passing the wall north of the houses triggers one wave of reinforcements from the throne room.

MODEDIT: snip

FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE WHO THINKS LILINA IS BETTER THAN LUGH

Hi,

I'm playing FE6 for the first time.

Was just wondering if it's one of those FE Games where a small, devoted team of units is preferred, or if it's possible to swap out units when it's needed.

Is there an Arena feature in this one? Also I feel like Shadow Dragon in that this game chucks loads of units at you but they're all low level (I'm about to start Chapter 3 and I already have 13 units).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Stuff like, one cavalier or both? One fighter or both?

there are two houses on Chapter 9 go to the right you'll go to two different levels than you normally would while the Rewards in the 10 a and 11 a left are better than the ones on the right house levels If you don't feel like RAGING HARD GO TO THE RIGHT 11A is my most hated level in the game

MODEDIT: dude c'mon

Edited by Integrity

I just beat 11A hard mode with all rewards. I can't even tell how many times I restarted this mission. Sigh, lol. FE 6 really is Fire Emblem: the restart. I had the misfortune of having units one shot by that damn archer w/ killer bow. It about a 33% chance of instant death. Oh god, once swordmasters and beserkers are common late game, this game is going to be a real nightmare, isn't it? lol

I finally got some lucky rng movement where the units at the top randomly moved down allowing my geese (got the idea to use him from a youtube speedrun) not to be in danger of being murdered since hes doubled while holding the Brave Axe but I need to use him because he can be carried by Zealot. I was basically trying to kill the boss before the turn 10 reinforcements appeared which I did. I got a turn 11 victory. Not bad for a non-LTC run.

Edited by wissenschaft

I just beat 11A hard mode with all rewards. I can't even tell how many times I restarted this mission. Sigh, lol. FE 6 really is Fire Emblem: the restart. I had the misfortune of having units one shot by that damn archer w/ killer bow. It about a 33% chance of instant death. Oh god, once swordmasters and beserkers are common late game, this game is going to be a real nightmare, isn't it? lol

I finally got some lucky rng movement where the units at the top randomly moved down allowing my geese (got the idea to use him from a youtube speedrun) not to be in danger of being murdered since hes doubled while holding the Brave Axe but I need to use him because he can be carried by Zealot. I was basically trying to kill the boss before the turn 10 reinforcements appeared which I did. I got a turn 11 victory. Not bad for a non-LTC run.

funny thing is I didn't have that much trouble on what is considered THE Hardest level of the game(Chapter 14) it took me like a week to beat 11A IT took me less than a day to beat Chapter 14 and I got all the rewards

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to beat ch 14 now. Its not that hard if you used the save exploit to get 100% item find on any character. It makes this chapter so much easier. Still had to restart because it seems 44% chance to hit = 100% for every single enemy. Sigh. Oh look, another enemy with a killer weapon. I bet hes going to......OMG, he didn't crit. LOL For once some luck. lol

Milady has been a god send. She carried me through ch14 and got a bunch of speed levels ups too. Ch14X has a throne with 30 avoid giving the mage boss 75 avoid. DAMN. lol That was a pain in the butt to deal with, you need a support built up to have anyone have decent accuracy. Not to mention the long range magic being annoying.

Edited by wissenschaft

OMG, Miledy is SO ridiculously broken. Shes 20/1 now and shes invincible. A merc with killing edge crit her for 9 damage. JUST 9 DAMAGE! She has 50 HP. lol Another merc with steel sword hit her for ZERO DAMAGE. Now that I've got the Delphi Shield (which I notice also negates the bonus from Aircalibur), Milady is effectively invincible with enough strength to OHKO enemies with a messily long sword. Those pegasus knights are going to be obliterated. lol I'm going to support her with Zeiss so she can build up her crit % to over 50% with a killer lance. This will be amusing.

A goddess amongst insects.

Edited by wissenschaft

So I've reached CH 20x and theres a swordmaster with Brave Sword with 41% crit. I'm so glad that I can skip through this mess with the warp staff. All praise the almighty warp staff. Savior of many a run. lol

Unfortunately the boss is protected by a swordmaster with 71% crit chance. Oh god, OP Miledy, save me. lol

Edited by wissenschaft

So, ch21x and Miledy vs Hero with Brave Sword. The hero does two hits for 4 damage at 64% hit rate. LOL With physic staves can Miledy even die? lol Even her weakness to magic can be somewhat covered by Pure Water/Barrier.

Edited by wissenschaft

ch23 features max str wyvern lords with killer lances (which means 36 atk, which might be enough for a crit-kill from full health). She'll also face non-zero crit against manakete, making her life in the endgame somewhat risky.

I don't think even those Wyvern Lords can kill her with a crit at full health. They will get her low though. The hero's with killer edge can take about 1/3 her health with a crit. Turns out having a def over 20 makes a huge difference in this game. Its definitely worth giving Miledy and Ziess your Dragonshields, it allows them to tank even crits. Madness. lol

Edit: Just beat ch 22. What a nightmare. And here I feared the game got too easy. Zephiel throne room is a death trap. I had to make liberal use of the berserk staff and sleep staffs to get through that and even then I had to rely on some lucky dodges and the S-rank staff team wide heal. Why do they put stair reinforcements that can attack immediately in that throne room? Good god, why? Not to mention Zephiel has 73 avoid and only one character can attack in melee. I was really lucky that I reached B rank in my Miledy/Zeiss support this very map, I needed the accuracy boost badly.

On a more amusing note, Roy actually got the kill on Zephiel with the Sword of Seals. LOL I didn't even plan for that to happen. The bad news is I needed my units to survive another enemy turn, hence why I had to use the holy maiden.

Also, Nosferatu tanking is real easy in this game with its ridiculous low weight.

Ch 23 looks like a real pain in the ass. Grrr, so close to the end now and yet so far away. lol

Edited by wissenschaft

OK, I didn't catch that you dropped your Dracoshields on Milady. Wise choice! ;) And even without it, she's right on the border of surviving a crit of these wyverns on 20/1... That woman is a monster and it's awesome.

Ch 23 looks like a real pain in the ass. Grrr, so close to the end now and yet so far away. lol

The status druids covering the western ballistae is really painful. I think i burned at least one charge of the Saint's Staff and one Rescue to kill the ballistae (somewhat) reliably. You don't really need them that badly in Jahn's chapter, anyway.

Ok, turns out CH23 is actually an easy map. My Mages + my elite pairs (Allen/Lance + Miledy/Zeiss) just destroy these Dragon Riders. This was surprisingly easy and quick. Most of these Dragon Riders have steel lances and so have terrible accuracy (Vs Lance w/ allen supporting, they got an 8% chance to hit). lol, support avoid bonuses are great.

I will say that this game has made me dislike Swordmasters even more since anything with very high DEF (like Mamkute) will take little damage even from their crits. Man, I hate Mamkute. I'm glad they don't appear in FE 7.

Oh god, next chapter is nothing but Mamkute. Ugh, why? What did I do to deserve this. lol Well, time to use all these S class weapons

Edit: Insomnia has led me to beat the game to day. 356 turns total and B rank because I over used promoted units and burned all my money on weapons I didn't need. lol Thats what I hate about these older FE games, I never know how many weapons to buy and when.

Overall, FE 6 was fun. Quite hard at the start but once you get Miledy and start promoting units the game because much easier. A rather early warp staff helps speed up the game. Probably could beat this game even faster. That said, I think I prefer FE 7 for its gameplay and map design improvements. FE 6 had some good maps but they started to feel too similar, especially all the castle assault maps. Also, this game has way too much bolting and status staff spam. UGH, save me FA with your ridiculous resistance. lol

MVP - Miledy, she near single handily makes hard mode easy

I think next up I want to do a FE 7 S rank run. Of course, I'll be continuing FE 9 too eventually.

Edited by wissenschaft

Out of curiosity - how did you deal with the ballistae/status staves overlap in ch.23? 356 turns is pretty fast, I think, so I suppose you didn't do the ol' turtle-until-they're-out-of-ammo in these situations.

Anyway, congrats on finishing HM. I personally prefer this game's map design over FE7, if only because the bs FE6 throws at you gets less painful if you know where it's going to hit you. Also, Seize (or Kill Boss) is just a great win condition because it allows the player to tackle the fight as he wants. You wanna rout for EXP? Go ahead. You just want to carve a way to the throne? That's fine, too. For me, Defend maps usually play out as "rout in x turns" since they never manage to keep the initial pressure up for the whole timespan; Rout in general tends to be tedious, especially if the map also has reinforcements or forts that injured enemies retreat to.

I used Miledy and Zeiss to take out the Ballisate by turn 2 (restart till they don't miss). They could do this because I gave both of them a boot so they had 10 movement. Then I just let them sit there when they got affected by the status effects. All the Dragon Riders do nothing because their accuracy is abysmal. Just use a physic staff if either gets low on health. By the time the rest of my force reached the boss, the status effects wore off. lol The low turn count was in part because of the warp staff. I could have use it more for an even lower turn count but I wasn't really trying to LTC the game. Mostly, Miledy being invincible and flying around the map slaughtering everything is what ended maps quickly. Feed her Dragonshields and pure waters/barriers and watch her conquer maps on her own.

Speaking of low accuracy, I found a lot of the dangerous slayer weapons had such terrible accuracy that they had close to, and in some cases, exactly 0% chance to hit my units. Especially anyone with an A support boost to their avoid. I find slayer weapons far more dangerous in FE 7 where they can actually hit my units.

Hahaha, I actually like the defense missions of FE 7 because they are like a little puzzle to solve. How do I keep all my units safe and still manged to get secondary objectives like kill the boss or grab treasure.

Even Rout maps can be fun if you keep a low turn count mindset. How do you kill all these units in the least amount of time while keeping my units as safe as possible? If you think like that then every map in any fire emblem is a mini puzzle to solve.

I will say, one dislike I have of defense missions are the ones that force a certain number of turns to pass. I would prefer it if I could end them faster by killing the boss.

Edited by wissenschaft

pretty much nobody cares about Garret so I couldn't really tell you how he performs.

B...but I care about Garret... He's got great dancing skills.... And a fantastic support with Both Lalum and Lilina. He may not be the best in the game, but he does serve as a good HP tank, and he can help in chapter 21 at base. (Beserkers are the only class aside from Fliers and Brigands that can cross peaks, which you will need to do to get the secret shop, if you have no warp staff)

• 1 month later...

I would also like to add that this game does have Ambush Reinforcements. But like Awakening, some chapters give you hints on when they arrive.

Not gonna lie, but I did lose a unit because of that reinforcement....so I ended up using a savestate because of that.

Atleast in Awakening, you have casual mode whereas this game doesn't. Still having fun with this game though as of now.

For a blind FE6 playthrough, I recommend you use chapter guides from the FE wiki, it will help immensely. It will give you a basic idea of how the chapter is going to play out.

Oh, and you want to have Alan and Lance at an A support with each other, they are solid units that can wreak havoc if they are working together. Other units that I suggest you have on your team is Sue, Rutger, Lilina, Miledy, Dieck, and don't use any knights. Knights have bad stats in this game and their Triangle Attack doesn't make up for their poor growths.

... And the RNG will hate you in this game, just ask my units who got killed by a crit-crazy Beserker. That's about it really, though other things can take into account (arena abusing, which is essential for good units) but that should help you out on your first playthrough.