Earth Dragon in Chapter 20: Dark Emperor.

Mild spoilers I guess.

Is there any rhyme or reason that Hardin has an EARTH DRAGON, which are supposed to be sealed under the Dragon's Altar in Macedonia? Is it his pet? Does it have a name? Why isn't it sleeping? Why was it in both versions of the game?

That's an interesting question. I don't think the game itself addresses the fact that Earth Dragon is there.

My guess? It's meant to be a subtle hint that not everything was over if the game ended at Hardin's defeat.

There's something happening here, and what it is ain't exactly clear. I would just guess Gharnef brought it to unleash as a last resort if Hardin were killed, but that backfired when Marth put the Binding Shield back together and sealed it.

Or you could be a jerk like I was and sent Tiki to take care of it.

But all things considered, maybe it was a means to hint at the bad ending. "Oh you didn't get all the star shards/missed out on the Geo and Lifesphere? lol Enjoy the end of the human race. Hero King Marth indeed."

Sent by Gharnef to help deal with Marth before he gets the Shield of Seals, along with that Heretic near his throne. Only one of each because too many would raise suspicion quickly.

In the original Mystery of the Emblem, this Earth Dragon has identical stats to Medeus in Book 1. So he is probably just there to demonstrate the power of the Shield of Seals and to put the dread that is posed by an whole army of Earth Dragons into perspective.

Edited by BrightBow

I can see it being a means to show of the Shield, but due to where it's placed, if you use Tiki or just gang up on it, it'll be dead before Hardin. But honestly, this seems like the strongest reason.

Edited by Vaikanfu