FE: Heart of Dawn ( Demo available )

Luchi

Happy New Year, all.

I don't know if completing this fan-game will be done by the end of the year, but I do intend on releasing a demo of around 30 mins...? before I go back to work in mid-Jan. Then at least this topic can be moved out of Concepts and into the main fan-game thread.

You will need to install RPGMaker VX to play this game, since 1) it is obviously not a ROM-hack and 2) it's not stand-alone. You don't need to buy the software either, you can still run games made with it even after the trial has expired.

This game also needs a bloody title. ><

More screens:

VBNJCUW.png

Kieran continues his idol-worship of Geoffrey. I'm trying to keep everyone in character as much as possible. I don't like him much, but putting up with his loud demeanour still beats writing lines for Ike or his equally boring Mercs.

RG2RG9t.png

That white ball of fluff indicates an on-map enemy encounter. Since I really don't like random encounters in jRPGs.

v7r8MrK.png

And to add to that analysis of FE9's orginal plot, Ike is so unimportant to the main plot of the game ( which involves Elincia trying to regain her throne ) that he AND his mercs could be taken out completely and the main plot would remain unchanged. He's probably the least important Lord in the series after poor Lyn. In the end, he was ultimately a figurehead who wielded no real power.I could go on, but I tend to save my tongue-lashings of Ike for my Discord chats with a buddy of mine ( seeing as he is practically worshiped on this forum ).

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm certain I've played RPG Maker games without having their specific engines installed. Did something change recently?

Anyway, this all looks pretty interesting, and I especially like the application of FE gameplay ideas to a traditional RPG structure. Guess it's time to reinstall RPG Maker VX. :P

@Augestein: Ah yes, I remember playing Legionwood and rage-quitting because it was too hard for me back in 2010. xD A lot of RPGMaker VX games have been completed since then, all with play-times over 10 hours.

@Meg xD: I'm sure it will give you an RGSS 2.0 error because the game needs the RTP ( run-time package ) to play properly. A downside of all games made with the RM engines, unfortunately. They're never stand-alone.

So, I finally have a title for this project. With a title screen to boot.

oiRBasg.png

Some other things to note:

Weapons, like in the original games, are grouped by rank, from D to S. However, because weapon ranks are non-existent here, characters need to be at a certain level to equip ranked weapons.
C - Rank Level 7 and higher
B - Rank Level 12 and higher
A - Rank Level 20 and higher
S - Rank Level 25 and higher
Weapons and items from FE4 will also make an appearance. Swords like the Earth, Sleep, Stun and Prayer swords will work off the user's MAG stat and may give additional skills.
As for determining how the weapon triangle would work in a turn-based jRPG battle ( I probably mentioned this in the OP, but I'll put it here again ):
- Sword users are strong against axemen and resist their attacks. But are weak against spear fighters and their attacks.
- Lance users are strong against swordsmen and resist their attacks. But are weak against axe fighters and their attacks.
- Axe users are strong against lance users and resist their attacks. But are weak against sword fighters and their attacks.
Tbqh, SMT's Press-Turn system combat would have worked really well ( since you're basically targetting weaknesses and acquiring more turns ) for this game, but the way it is coded in VX is pretty broken atm. For example, after a particularly powerful unit has completed his/her turn, you can just select them over and over again to rack up really high press-turns and not even give the enemy AI a chance to attack. ><
I may look to Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE for inspiration as well...
As to how I handle the tier ones and check for promotion:

cUdhwcZ.png
These common events will run for every battle to 'check' if a tier one is ready to promote. Common events will handle death quotes, base conversations and a whole lot of other things. xD

Weapons galore. If you guys want a special weapon in this game, I'm pretty sure I can do it. Same with skills. ^^ I've already recreated skills like Imbue, Nihil and Pavise, after all. The only Tellius-skill I've been unable to do is Miracle (but Ena and Mist don't appear in here so--).

Cm8SJLd.png

Expect a playable demo in the not-too distant future. =)

Demo version released! It took me a while to put together, but yeah, and least I've got something that's playable.

It's about 20-30 mins long. Mods can move this to the relevant sub-forum now. =)

• 1 month later...

Project isn't dead, just got side-tracked from other personal projects, but I don't know if my heart is in it ( for now ). I'm slowly becoming less and less interested in Tellius as time goes on, but then I think of FE9!Elincia and how terribly she was handled in vanilla PoR ( Disney-esque princesses, complete with fawning over her hero and fainting ) have no place in FE ). She deserves so much better, imho.

Besides, I really want to see her thwomp Ashnard and his sorry behind.

Just saw this, and it looks really neat! I find the idea of re-imagining a Fire Emblem game as more of a JRPG to be a really interesting concept. I'm not sure if I'll try it out now, or if I'll wait and see when more updates come.

But this one is definitely on my radar, so good luck with the game!

I do want to expand on the backstories of some of the popular fan favourites like Mia and Nephenee ( while I'm not a fan of them myself, I could probably do a better job of fleshing them out in this game ) so they feel like real people, not stock tropes or blatant cliches. Half of FE9's cast falls into this sadly: You've got the brash food-loving mercenary who swings around a huge sword, the sullen goth who hates everyone, the womaniser, the red-head who hates the hero ( Shinon is almost exactly the same as Salamander from FF9 ), the Disney-princess, etc. They wouldn't feel out of place at all in a generic anime or an uninspired jRPG. Granted, FE in general is very anime-esque, but FE9 really turns it up to 11. 

Mia is a pretty shallow character if you really look at it. She's basically Fir 2 with a point to prove ( that women can make good fighters and I get where she is coming from, hailing from Begnoin and all ) but aside from that, her motivation to pursue the mastery of the sword is entirely selfish. So her arc would basically go from being an eager sword student to someone who realises that the weapon in her hand isn't just for show, but that it was crafted to defend, to protect. Giving her a possible romantic interest would definitely reinforce it, Or even someone with whom she develops a strong bond, it doesn't necessarily have to be romantic ( Mia doesn't strike me as the type to settle down, much like Ike ).

She would make a rather excellent foil to Lucia here since the two are as different as chalk and cheese. So it paves the way for an interesting character dynamic. And then there's the whole 'white-robed rival' thing that was never, ever expanded on. The interactions between the two girls would probably result in mass hilarity ( like a gender-flipped version of Kieran and Oscar ) if done right. In the original games, Mia received zero character development.

But yes, that's the general gist of how I'd detail one character's arc. =)

• 3 months later...

I haven't updated this project since March but I hope to move it forward soon. This game is basically for everyone who loves Elincia and would have prefered her as a main lord. Without sharing the spotlight with any male leads. After adding Mia, Lethe/Mordecai are probably next, followed by Jill.

So there's that.

Edited by Luchi

• 1 year later...