Opinions on that Fire Emblem Awakening Character #1 - #51 (Chrom & Robin & Grima)

RoyLKing

This is a daily thing where I pick a random unit from Awakening, then ask people's opinion on that character based on his/her stats, character, design, voice actor, etc...

Here are the characters:

#1: Walhart

#2: Lucina (23-24/8/2016)

#3: Aversa

#4: Lissa (24-25/8/2016)

#5: Flavia

#6: Sumia (25-26/8/2016)

#7: Gregor

#8: Henry (26-27/8/2016)

#9: Nah

#10: Vaike (27-28/8/2016)

#11: Brady

#12: Yarne (28-29/8/2016)

#13: Cherche

#14: Fredrick (31/8/2016)

#15: Inigo

#16: Virion (1/9/2016)

#17: Kjelle

#18: Tharja (2/9/2016)

#19: Gerome

#20: Cordelia (3/9/2016)

#21: Gaius

#22: Miriel (4/9/2016)

#23: Libra

#24: Anna (5/9/2016)

#25: Panne

#26: Severa (6/9/2016)

#27: Priam

#28: Noire (8/9/2016)

#29: Sully

#30: Stahl (9/9/2016)

#31: Morgan

#32: Yen'fay

#33: Donnel (10/9/2016)

#34: Kellam

#35: Say'ri

#36: Basilio (11/9/2016)

#37: Tiki

#38: Olivia

#39: Laurent (12/9/2016)

#40: Lon'qu

#41: Emmeryn

#42: Gangrel (13/9/2016)

#43: Owain

#44: Cynthia

#45: Ricken (14/9/2016)

#46: Maribelle

#47: Excellus

#48: Validar (15/9/2016)

#49: Chrom

#50: Robin

#51: Grima (16/9/2016

What is your opinion on those characters?

I have done a similar topic with the character of Fates if you want to check it: (even though the topic is complete, you can still comment your opinions on it)

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=65289&page=1

Edited by RoyLKing

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walhart

I always liked something about him. In spite of the silly armor, he's got a commanding presence and there's very little bullshit surrounding him. Unlike Ashnard, he doesn't rely on a mutated dragon or divine armor or what have you, and he's even got more chemistry with Chrom than Ashnard ever had with Ike. I won't pretend he's a particularly deep character or that his arc didn't feel unnecessary, but he's entertaining enough.

Lucina

People call her bland but I don't see it. She's a woman who traveled back in time to save the future, she's determined, strong, a good fighter and...little else, and she knows it. Her serious moments in the main story blend well with her dorky supports, and I rather like the contrast. She's an adorable badass.

#1: Walhart

As a Boss, he is threatening and is ready to kick my ass. As a unit? He's the only one to take Conquerer Class but otherwise... Meh? What I kind of loved about Awakening is that unlike Fates, if there is a Story-centric boss you want, you can get it with Spot Pass, but Walhart, like Iago and Hans would not be people I would want in my army. I worry their bad vibes will rub off on my other units.

#2: Lucina

I feel like Lucina is my favorite character because unlike Chrom, Lucina thinks on her feet and knows what to do when shit is going down, especially when it comes to the main story. Corrin might learn a few things from her. I have yet to play Future Past but I've heard good things about it. I guess my favorite thing about her is that she's a good sister to whoever her sibling is? I personally make Cynthia her sister not actually because I like the Chrom-Sumia pairing (which back then I had no idea Cynthia was her mother, I got them first try together) but because I like the Lucina-Cynthia support. It reminds me somewhat of the Chrom-Lissa support.

Awakening in General Introduction:

I feel like Fates would have to learn a lot from Awakening. While yes, Awakening is flawed, I personally enjoyed the story in Awakening more than Fates despite the minor complaints people have with it. In fact, I liked the idea of an amnesiac character helping a Lord out fight out some disputes all in the name of their nation. Honestly, I can go into detail as more characters are introduced but overall, I really want to see how people that liked Fates better would have to say to these guys.

1. Walhart: Zero tolerance for bullshit, more honor than the other 2 antagonists, and doesn't give a fuck about anything other than war. Also, he can bend dead, soulless, unintelligent corpse thralls to his will FROM THAT OF AN EARTH DRAGON! He could've been even more badass if the Valm Arc were extended as either DLC or it's own game

Lucina: Probably the least compromising lord in the series behind Ike and Ephraim, because Marth doesn't smell the fish in time unlike the other two. She's also taken seriously when she recalls the future. She's also hilariously socially inept and has poor fashion sense.

Walhart: I liked him a little bit, but I'm conflicted, I liked his conversation with Chrom and I liked his boss battle theme, his character appearance is too small to comment on except being a guy who doesn't back down or look down (yet retreats to his castle), him retreating was pretty unnecessary, I'll also comment on the fact that his boss battle is disappointing, in the final show-off, he has a throne that he sits on which gives him good bonuses, yet leaves it to face the enemy for some reason (????), plus the fact that Chrom is so broken at this point my Chrom basically one rounded Walhart with Aether it was so disappointing, and I was playing on hard mode too.

Lucina: I agree with what Thane said, I have some problems with her introduction, but they're nothing too big, at least she has a better character than Azura from Fates. Though she should've done a better job at concealing her identity. (Might expand my opinion on her later)

Edited by RoyLKing

Walhart

I don't really have much opinion besides the fact that I wish he had stayed dead to leave a bit of a bigger impact then "oops. I'm alive now I guess."

Lucina

At first I didn't like her. I still don't like her fans. However, Lucina has grown on me. She's adorable, pretty, a nice voice, and I feel bad for her. Plus I enjoy playing as her in Smash. No bully.

Walmart- my least favorite store chain is now my greatest enemy! While his arc did kinda suck overall, as a character he was foreshadowed in supports and dialogue way before you meet him, making him actually somewhat intimidating once you did. If you play Awakening without grinding, he can be a very challenging boss too. And, out of all the DLC characters, he's one of the one that makes sense. He's a hearty man, he's been through some shit. A few Sword slashes wouldn't kill this man. As for why he can control Risen randomly... I have no idea.

Olivia!Lucina (Oh yeah, I went there) is a solid character. She's given a reason to have no sense of humor and be very serious, and manages to be very likable. As a unit, she's a faster but less bulky Chrom no matter the mother, but with Olivia as her mother as I normally make her, she ends up extremely fast and powerful. And with a 12 Might Infinite Weapon that can Heal you when used, it only gets better.

But yeah, her identity was so obvious even Sm4sh didn't care.

Edited by TrueEm

Walhart:

He's okay, I suppose. He's most definitely not my favorite character! But he's okay. I thought he was a decent enough...villain? Not-villain but still-villain? I dunno what I'd label him as, but he played whatever it was decently enough. I feel like he should have stayed dead, though...but then again, I think that about all the resurrected SpotPass characters, save Yen'fay.

Lucina:

When I first played Awakening, I wasn't a fan of Lucina. But now, she's my favorite Awakening character! I think she (and Chrom) has a lot of spotlight stolen, but the story dialogue she does have and the role she plays is good, and the majority of her supports are good. I like her design, I think it fits well with her character, and she's one of my favorite units in the entire game.

Walhart

He's not my favorite bad guy in the game, but I like his character. I like how he (kinda) reforms after being defeated by Chrom... twice, though still keeps his wits about him.

Also, he's the biggest freaking Knight I've ever seen! o.O

Lucina

While I like her character, personality, and story, I hate how over-hyped she is. Lucina has appeared in the same amount of crossovers as her father, btw (Lucina in Sm4sh, Chrom in TMS#FE, and both in PXZ2), but her fanbase is probably way bigger than it needs to be.

Edited by Power Master

(I'll take a shot at this, never really been good at this, hence why I didn't partake in the Fates thread)

Walhart: This guy is a beast. In devil's armour. Everything screams "Conqueror" about him. I'd be afraid to approach this guy IRL.

I remember that my boyfriend, a couple of his friends and I did a Dungeons and Dragons game. Walhart was our final boss (he was a 7ft dwarf XD).

Lucina: Lucina is Lucina. I have little bias towards her. As someone mentioned before, she fit her role extremely well.

Edited by TheTuckingFypo

A note before I start: I started replaying Awakening to help me with this list, and sweet Lady of the Lake am I reminded of the fact that Awakening's world building is almost as poor as Fates is built. Just fyi, most of my posts will likely include complaints to that regard. Anyways, on with the show!

Walhart the Great: Fully deserving of his title of the Conqueror. His mere presence demands the total loyalty of all those around him, capable of inspiring the people of a pseudo-middle ages land (a time when faith was very important) to give up their faith in a god who is very much real and place their loyalty in him and him alone. He felt like than inexorable Emperor that you knew you had to face to topple a tyrannical regime, but also knowing full well that he built said regime himself, and was able to bully a whole continent into line and follow his tune, making him actually quite intimidating. I wish I could have seen more of his empire, how he had conquered an entire continent while Chorm was off bumbling around being a national leader. All well. TLDR: Walhart is a solid antagonist held back by the meaninglessness of his arc and the fact that he comes back from the dead for you to recruit (seriously, spot pass characters should stay dead).

Lucina: I like her for the reasons that Thane stated. She is single-mindedly driven to her purpose of averting her future, caring for little else, even her blood family (and possibly lover) may have to be discarded in order to see the future restored. The flip-side of her though, is that she is very much a dork. She has no idea as to what social norms are, having devoted her entire adult life to war, to the point where when her own sister (yeah, I am boring and have Chrom marry Sumia, Cynthia just makes a good sister for her personality wise if you ask me) gets angry with her for making her plan for Lucina's death, and Lucina just can't comprehend why. All in all, Lucina is a solid character, and on my list of ideal 2nd gen brides for a male Robin.

Edited by warchiefwilliams

Walhart: Throughout the main game, I never liked Walhart. Plain and simple, he came across as a dick, but around the end of the Valm arc and the time of recruiting him, I saw more detail in him as a character, and that even he has an amusing side to him. Whilst not my favourite character at all, I appreciate that he was driven, commanding and a force to be reckoned with before he was made recruitable!

Lucina: I always found Lucina to be a very interesting character. Witnessing the extent of her burden resonated with me. When she explained everything just after revealing who she was, I felt nothing but sorrow for everything she suffered, even briefly forgetting that she was Chrom's daughter, just because I feel that no one should suffer that way. Her supports made her that extra bit fun for me because you get to see her behaviour in a much more relaxed scenario and it's uplifting as opposed to upsetting. As Thane so eloquently put it "She's an adorable badass.". I'd like to see more of her, but admittedly, I'd just like to see Awakening's conclusion built upon with the characters having gone their separate ways after the finale of it and depending on the situation returning tor whatever reason afterwards. Actually... that might just be because I feel she could have more built on to her. Comparing Awakening to Blazing Sword real quick, each Lord had their own story path and whilst Lyn was only the tutorial mode, there was plenty of development for her throughout the story itself. Eliwood and Hector had the main focus of the story but it was offered in a way of their perspective. So I'd likely prefer that option. Start with Lucina's perspective and work towards her recruitment in Chrom's perspective.

... I... may have derailed that a bit...

Walhart

I quite like Walhart, in terms of design, his two supports and his performance as a unit. Of the villains of the more recent FE games, I felt that Walhart was one of the strongest villains—if not the strongest—in terms of motive but he suffered as his role in the story is more like filler and he is brought back from the dead (though, again, I did enjoy his supports).

Now that I think about it, a character similar to Walhart would have been perfect for a FE story of a lowly soldier of an army fighting for peace in his occupied country, only to watch the leader he so admired and respected gradually become corrupted by power. The narrative could have then become similar to Tactics Ogre: LUCT, in that the player could have chosen to side with their power-lusted leader set on conquest or form another coalition to overthrow him.

But, that's another topic.

Lucina

I don't see the hype.

I'm more or less neutral about her—but I will admit I am fond of her design and VA choice.

"I say when it ends!" has got be one of my favorite critical quotes ever.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

Walhart:

Walhart is great. He hates gods/dragons, he wanted to conquer the world in order to bring about world piece, and he's gloriously hammy. He works extremely well for what he is, a mostly unimportant filler villain.

Lucina:

Is also great. I enjoy the contrast between her seriousness about the future, and her awkwardness with everything else. She does everything well.

Walhart - can bite me, I think he was awful. I didn't feel threatened in his arc, and was more annoyed with the bad guys than anything. So he's taking over the world ('kay, this is FE, it's supposed to happen), and before I can get any sort of emotion tied to him, we're at his front door. Even with world building and back story, it would've been hard for me to like this guy, just because of how overdone it is (for the record, I don't like Ashnard).

Lucina- There's a neat little detail in Chapter 4 that I missed the first time 'round, and it ties her to Chrom nicely. She has some cool moments, and then Robin forces her away from the spotlight. In terms of personality, she doesn't have the wacky hijinks that everyone else does, and it's refreshing.

Walhart

• I rarely think about you
  • nice design
  • If I replaced the H in your name you'd be called Walmart

Lucina

• I like your design
  • personality wise you seem decent to me
  • honestly, I really liked the mysteriousness about you at the beginning of the game
  • I almost cried during that one cutscene with you and Chrom..

Walhart: while far from being my favorite character, I like Walhart: I like his personality, his supports with Robin(s) and his design.

My biggest problem with him is we hear so much about him yet the game shows him for like two chapter(?), which isn't much.

Still, I like him.

Lucina: Strangely enough, even tough she is an important character, she didn't got much of my interest confirming my horrible tastes in character, so I'm quite neutral towards her.

Walhart:

One of my most disliked characters out of FEA. I don't mind his crits but that is about all. (He's not entirely useless but I almost always bench this guy in favour of other units *like Chrom*)

Lucina:

Hmm this is going to take a while.

Lucina's character is charming. She goes through such pain that I can relate to and it just makes me all the more determined to help her stop Grima. She is someone that I have developed a soft spot for who I would help irl if she ever needed it to me she is well written and enjoyable to follow in Awakening.

Lucina's design is perfect and suits her quite well, at least in my eyes. And as Robin's daughter Lucina is a force to be wreckoned with. She always performs well regardless of the classes I use for her and even if she isn't Robin's child she does make an exceptional mother for F!Morgan (so long as Chrom doesn't marry the generic maiden). I find of all the child units Lucina is the one most likely to take out the most battles of all the child units and can easily beat out almost all of them.

Walmart: Tropey Feudal Lord. Pretty coolio. JP version seems more true to the character since... well... the Japanese feudal lord type of simplicity came from Japan.

Lucina: Pretty cool character. I like her simple straightforward personality intro.

Nice design. Amazing JP voice by Kobayashi.

Shit "My daughter!" and "My wife!" fanbase.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Yas! I've been dying to provide my opinions on the characters of Awakening. To be perfectly honest, I totally forgot how I felt about the cast as a whole, and somewhat forgotten about certain characters, so this will also be a journey of self-discovery for me.

Walmart

I know someone else made that joke, but dammit, I wanna have fun, too. I've never played any of the StreetPass maps in my playthroughs of Awakening because I thought the idea of all these supposedly dead characters coming back to life to hang with you was absolutely ludicrous. Gee, remember before Fates, when something like that seemed like one of the most ridiculous things FE had to offer? Good times...

He's one of the more interesting villains in Awakening, if only because his reasons for doing what he did were morally grey. However, you barely see much of him, so he becomes forgettable. I mean, they built him up all the way from the moment you see wee baby Lucina, but you only fight him in two chapters and the rest of his development is spent with him conspiring with the other villains who work for him. Oh and he almost kills Basillio after mowing down a bunch of other chums. In that sense, I guess out of all the characters who are brought to life, his survival would've made the most sense.

I remember that my boyfriend, a couple of his friends and I did a Dungeons and Dragons game. Walhart was our final boss (he was a 7ft dwarf XD).

Seven foot tall dwarf? Pretty sure that's a paradox, lol

Lucina

AKA the person literally everyone in the Smash 4 community likes to shit on. Alright, how exactly do I describe my opinion of Lucina? I guess I'd say maybe like a PB&J sandwich or a nice, home-grilled burger; a very ordinary dish that just about everyone has at least taken a bite of, but that's because it's genuinely delicious and pretty nutritious. I say she's ordinary because she shares traits with a lot of the "young hero" types of character, but that doesn't mean she's terrible or unoriginal.

She's arguably the strongest character in the game, personality-wise. She's reasonably pragmatic (more so than Chrom), brave, and genuinely kind; there's no one in the second gen army she doesn't want to befriend. In this, she's just as great a leader as Chrom. But she does have flaws. She is very protective of Chrom, to the point where she was about to kill one of the most valuable soldiers in the army, who might've even been her mother or lover, just to prevent the possible killing of her father that they knew about and thus could prevent without needless bloodshed. And in her efforts to be a proper leader, she has a tendency sometimes to literally tune out the overtly negative aspects of an ally (e.g. convos between Lucy and Noire in Hot Springs), which bewilders some characters.

Overall, she's one of my favorite characters in this game, which is good since she's a fairly major character. That being said, she and Chrom alone wouldn't be enough to compensate for a terrible cast; luckily, I don't think there were very many characters in Awakening that I hated. Also, as I think I said before, I'm pretty sure I have a weakness for the deep-blue haired characters, so maybe I'm biased towards her. But that hair doesn't mean a thing if it's on top of a butthead who's barely likeable.

I'd consider the concept of killing Robin to save my father a strength rather than a flaw.

However, the fact that they would simply stop because it's their mother or lover is the flaw. The conflict is fine, yes. It makes her human. Her decision before Chrom shows up in those two cases is not.

It is compromising the very mission she set out to do. All for her emotions.

That doubles back on the established character Lucina is built to that point. That she would do anything to save her comrades and companions from that dark future.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Walhart - Not particularly impressed with his character as he just seemed rather simplistic. But after the disappointment that was Fate's villains I feel like he had more going that what they had. But honestly I don't feel like I have much to say about him. I mean hell his design speaks for himself.

Lucina - As a character she's alright. Nowhere near the best Lord in the series but she has her moments. My biggest problem with her is that for most of the story, she really isn't that good at what she's trying to do. I mean sure she stops the assassination of Emmeryn early on, but then she's completely late to save her for her suicide and just falls out in usefulness as the story goes on, feeling more like a side character. She couldn't even stop Basilio from walking towards his own death (Even though he barely survives). Design wise she's pretty good. What I expect from a Lord and she's quite cute with her long hair and such. Her supports are solid for the most part, I particularly liked her sister support with Cynthia as it just felt right with this character. As a unit she was pretty damn good. For Awakening I tend to stick to one grind per mission to balance out the difficulty where I can hit hard, but not to the point of pulverizing them. With this setting she started out slow, feeling like the Est type for me (Like Nino in Blazing Sword) but once she became a great lord she got ridiculously strong and pretty much obliterated Grima with her Parallel Falchion (with a crit to boot). Very solid unit overall and you can't go wrong with Aether.

Walhart

Definitely the villain with the most potential. A ruthless man with a great vision. At least in theory. Unfortunately it's a bit difficult to take his "ambitions" seriously when he is willing to sacrifice all of it just to troll Excellus. And it's not like he has a lot of presence in the arc. The arc basically only focuses on Excellus, building him up to be the biggest douche imaginable so that we will enjoy it when things turn against him. ´By the time Walhart actually shows up it's too little and too late. Not to mention that Chrom simply isn't a good counterpart of this guy, at least not unless he confronts his own ruthlessness that he demonstrated by burning thousands of people alive.

Lucina

She is basically the Anti-Marth. When Marth was chased out his country, he came back a few years later and liberated it. And the rest of the continent while he was at it. When Lucina was chased out of her country... well, she has very few endings that even leave room for the possibility that she might return to her time and do her freaking job as the ruler of Ylisse. Lucina sucks at being a Lord. She only cares about her own friends and family and doesn't give a shit about the responsibilities that come with the title.

In terms of story, she is just this poor, weak little thing that we are supposed to feel sorry for. Of course that would be a lot easier if her constant whining about fate wasn't completely laughable, acting as if she is somehow incapable of archiving any kind of change when she is barely trying in the first place. Someone was trying to have Emmeryn assassinated. That plan was foiled, so the enemy tried something different. That's not fate, it's called "not giving up at the slightest sign of resistance". It's not fate's fault that Lucina only ever puts the absolute minimum amount of effort into anything, to the point where she'd rather sit on her ass for the entire timeskip instead of doing something productive like stopping Grima's resurrection or warning Chrom about Wallhart's invasion.

She also feels very tagged on to the story in general. To the point that when Grima shows up, they don't even exchange a single line despite Grima being her nemesis and the source of all her grief. She doesn't contribute anything to the story besides exposition and... waifu bait I guess. Don't get me wrong, her reveal in chapter 13 was great... at least by itself. But looking at the rest of the story, it feels like making her look vulnerable and in desperate need for a hug is the entire purpose of her existence, at least besides being an exposition bot.

She does have a lot of potential. She is basically Trunks after all. Unfortunately just like the rest of the main characters she is unwilling to prove her intended character through her actual actions.

Edited by BrightBow

Lucina

AKA the person literally everyone in the Smash 4 community likes to shit on. Alright, how exactly do I describe my opinion of Lucina? I guess I'd say maybe like a PB&J sandwich or a nice, home-grilled burger; a very ordinary dish that just about everyone has at least taken a bite of, but that's because it's genuinely delicious and pretty nutritious. I say she's ordinary because she shares traits with a lot of the "young hero" types of character, but that doesn't mean she's terrible or unoriginal.

Wait, hold the phone and pause the thread. I thought PB&J stood for peanut butter and jelly; that does NOT sound nutritious, especially not if you put it on white bread!

Edited by Thane