Can I play the carts on an American SNES?

EricaofRenais

I have been window shopping FE 2 and 4 and I was wondering if they are region locked because one review I read said that you had to have a Japanese SNES to play them. I know I can play FE 12 on my DS Lite without problems and I thought that region lock did not become a thing until disc games, but I want to make sure if I do buy them I can play them.

For FE2 you'll need some sort of NES to Famicom adapter because the connectors are different.

For the SNES ones, you just need to pull out the two plastic tabs that are inside the cartridge slot (like the one you see here) and you should be able to use the cart just fine.

The only actual region lock is between PAL and NTSC Super Nintendos because of electrical differences. JP/US are both NTSC, so you should be fine.

Unless you already own an NES, it might be a better idea to just buy a Famicom. In particular if you plan on ever getting an FDS.

I also believe I've heard that US -> JP cart adapters have better compatibility than JP -> US adapters, but I'm not 100% sure.

Unless you already own an NES, it might be a better idea to just buy a Famicom. In particular if you plan on ever getting an FDS.

I also believe I've heard that US -> JP cart adapters have better compatibility than JP -> US adapters, but I'm not 100% sure.

most adapters are made from us carts containing the famicom to nes pin adapter

if you have any really early NES games like the R.O.B series, they might have a pin adapter inside them

most of them have 5 screws on the back

Edited by Captain Karnage

I have an NES but it needs fixing, I was looking at the Retcon systems that play NES, SNES and SEGA games yesterday because that would be easier for me then fixing the NES, but I don't know how good they are.

Edited by EricaofRenais

Do you mean the Retron 5? I've heard that works okay, but you should be aware that it's an emulation box, not original hardware/system on a chip. There's also controversy surrounding the code that the Retron5 uses for its emulation.

Yeah I think it was the Retcon 5 and yeah I know its not original hardware didn't know it was an emulation box, but that does make sense. Part of my problem is I don't have a TV that my NES can hook up to anymore and I thought that the SNES has the same hook up. My dad might have a TV that would work, but I have no idea if it will turn on any more and I have not seen any converters for new TVs.

Edit

It was the Retcon 3 but since I looked at more systems I think when I do get one it will be the Yobo FC 2 because it sounds like it is better built and it will take my zapper for Duck Hunt.

Edited by EricaofRenais

If you're still thinking about the getting a Retron console I'd say get the retron 5 because it can play FE 1-8 on it. It can play NES, Famicom, SNES, Super Famicom, GB, GBC, GBA, Genesis, and Mega Drive games on it. On top of it you plan the japanese titles in english through an english patch which you put on an SD card. I've got all the FE games physically and I have tested FE 1-8 on the Retron 5 and for the most part, there don't seem to be problems with most of them but I'm wary when I play FE 3 or 4 in english on there because the save data can sometimes disappear(I'm not 100% sure of this but it has happened to me before). FE6 shouldn't be played on there at all through a patch since the game deletes your progress through the day you played it and if have pre-existing saved data your characters will get an increase in stats and sometimes, hilariously, get 31 strength on a swordmaster, or 35 speed on Wyvern Lord. Unfortunately, once you level up these godly stats decrease to only maximum. The Retron 5 is an emulation console so it has problems but it does have nice features to it. There are some features I hadn't mentioned yet but it seems you're more concerned about playing the games than the overall best retro gaming experience.

Yeah I am more concerned with playing them then anything else, it will be a while until I can buy a console to play them on and I will probably buy the games first. That's good to know about the Retcon 5 and I will keep it in mind when I have the money to buy one.

Thankfully there are some cheap FE games out there but all the other ones are a bit pricey like FE5 or POR (RD has dropped in price believe it or not). You know, be aware of the obvious bootlegs. Some of them are pretty hilarious if you ask me.

Yes I am aware of the price of FE 5, lucky for me I was able to get PoR and RD before they became so expensive. About the only FE 5 cart I would be able to buy right now is one of the Memory carts with it on it because those are between $45 and $60. FE 5 will probably be the last one I will buy because of the price, but the rest of the NES and SNES FEs I will be buying soon. though probably with out boxes for now. FE 6 is also going to be one I will wait on but it is not as bad as 5.

Edited by EricaofRenais

Yes I am aware of the price of FE 5, lucky for me I was able to get PoR and RD before they became so expensive. About the only FE 5 cart I would be able to buy right now is one of the Memory carts with it on it because those are between $45 and $60. FE 5 will probably be the last one I will buy because of the price, but the rest of the NES and SNES FEs I will be buying soon. though probably with out boxes for now. FE 6 is also going to be one I will wait on but it is not as bad as 5.

You might want to check if the retron 5 can play games on NP cartridges. It often has issues with odd cartridge layouts.

like another anon said, the only thing preventing JP games from playing on NA consoles are the little tabs

Also just in case. If there are Europeans wondering if the games work on an PAL SNES with a converter, I have FE4 and can confirm that it work just fine on my PAL SNES with my game converter.