Fire Emblem: Order of the Crimson Arm(FinalVersion1.0 out)

TheMaskedRaider

Unit Poll  

287 members have voted

1. 1. Favortie Demo Unit/Character

• Algimas
    • Tactician
    • Ernst
    • Kurtis
    • Haylyn
    • Martel
    • Aceline
    • Boleslav
    • Negu
    • Gerwulf
    • Sven
    • Beatrice
    • Chiara
    • Robert
    • Nilda
    • Wayland
    • Vlad
    • Elaine
    • Celia
    • Foskey
    • Rorick
    • Odin
    • Meila
    • Lani
    • Brendan
    • Dita
    • Katarina
    • Aras
    • Warren
    • Franck
    • Auguste

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>Al: The best lance user and is most likely going to max attack. He has decent speed and defense but only 2 res. It shouldn’t be too much of a probably so long as you keep him away from magic users.
>Tact: Hit hard and can attack at 1-2 range or even 2-3 range with his personal tome. His slow speed was fixed with the speedwings and is probably on the best units in the entire army.
>Ernst: He is a mini-jaegan. He can be useable but only in the latter chapters when his level is finally caught up to. If you are dying for a sword user, he can be somewhat useful but overall I benched him.

>Kurtis: He is a slow but hard hitter. I ended up choosing Nilda over Kurtis but you can use him if you don’t mind getting doubled.

>Haylyn: I wanted this girl to be good. Nearly maxed out speed and luck and high skill as a 20 cleric. BUT WHAT THE HELL IS WITH THE 6 FREAKING MAGIC AT LEVEL 20. THAT IS UTTER BULLSHIT!
>Martel: I hate ax users in general. Benched
>Aceline: Solid defenses and access to bows and lances. Bows feel really powerful in this game and Aceline makes full use of it by tanking attacks even when she can’t counter attack.
>Boleslav: I don’t like this guy or his character. Celia is just a better archer and aceline hits just as hard and has better defense and can attack at close range. Benched
>Gerwulf: He is the stronger of the cavalier units. But he is too slow. Benched after a few uses.
>Negu: The better of the cavaliers. She is an all-rounder character and has the mobility, strength and defense to fill in whatever role you need.
>Sven: I wanted this guy to be good as the first real ax user you get. But my god is he slow. He is slow to the point of being unusable. Benched after some use.
>Beatrice: The first magic user other than tactician. A solid unit overall and hit hard.
>Chiara: Honestly I think she was the most underwhelming unit of my team. I feel as though she should be better and that maybe I got stat screwed but oh well. She is still a solid unit, just didn’t hit as hard as I would have like her to.
>Nilda: The speedier of the two soldiers. I think she is better but people can easily make the argument for kurtis. Its either or in this scenario both are good.
>Robert: He is a thief. I used him to unlock things and then immediately put him on the bench. Can be useable but I choose not to use him.
>Celia: MVP of the game. This girl is likely going to cap speed and skill, and maybe strength. Her defenses are also good enough to where I do not have to worry about her.
>Foskey: An alternate choice to Aceline. I personally benched him, but if you didn’t like how your Aceline turned out give this guy a shot.
>Wayland: I wanted this guy to be good. BUT HOLY SHIT IS HE SLOW. It came to the point where he is basically unusable since he doesn’t have the defenses to keep him alive.
>Vlad: Used him in the required chapters. I felt as though he was an experience sinkhole with average stats. Benched as soon as possible.

>Elaine: The better of the two healers you get in the game. She actually has a magic that is useable plus she can reach people from far away.
>Lani: Most solid all-rounder. Nice damage, decent defense, amazing speed and can fly for mobility.
>Meila: A thief with high res, I like it. She grows really quickly too which makes her really fun to use.

>Rorick: I benched him but if you like ax users he can be useful.
>Odin: I benched him but out of the two ax users you get this one will probably be better.
>Brendan: I personally benched him, but if you are looking for a magic user, he can easily fill in that role.

>Dita: Yeah the first ax user that I can actually use. Nice speed plus can rely on swords if she really needs to hit something, and a horse for mobility.
>Katarina: I love the fact that dancers can also heal. I only used her for a little bit but I can see how she can be really useful.
>Aras: I already have the tactician who is already amazing and I don’t need another slow magic user. Benched

>Auguste: N/A

>Franck: N/A

>Warren: N/A

No it is not complete yet

yes here is all of the ones in the demo, though we are doing some retooling here and there.

Listed as HP/Pow/Skl/Spd/Luck/Def/Res

>Al: 80/55/55/45/50/35/30

>Tact: 60/65/50/35/50/25/55

>Ernst: 70/45/60/50/40/30/25

>Kurtis: 80/55/55/20/40/50/20

>Haylyn: 40/55/30/60/60/15/60

>Martel: 80/60/50/45/35/25/25

>Aceline: 75/45/40/40/35/60/25

>Boleslav: 70/60/65/25/50/30/20

>Gerwulf: 70/60/40/35/25/40/30

>Negu: 60/55/40/55/30/25/25

>Sven: 90/50/40/45/25/35/15

>Beatrice: 45/50/60/40/60/20/45

>Chiara: 80/40/55/50/45/30/20

>Nilda: 60/40/55/55/50/35/25

>Robert: 65/50/60/40/55/20/40

>Celia: 60/40/65/60/45/20/30

>Foskey: 90/50/40/30/20/60/30

>Wayland: 90/60/45/30/30/50/25

>Vlad: 90/50/55/35/30/35/25

>Elaine: 45/40/50/40/65/15/45

>Lani: 60/40/50/55/40/25/30

>Meila: 55/40/40/65/45/20/55

>Rorick: 90/65/35/60/35/20/15

>Odin: 90/60/50/40/15/40/25

>Brendan: 60/40/50/50/50/25/45

>Dita: 65/40/50/45/45/30/25

>Katarina: 40/30/10/80/80/20/60

>Aras: 50/70/25/55/35/35/50

>Auguste: 80/55/35/55/30/35/30

>Franck: 80/35/60/35/45/25/20

>Warren: 120/60/45/15/10/60/10

And that's cool ghast thanks for the future input.

Since you listed the growth rates for the characters in the demo, can you list the supports for which characters can support with whom?

So, so far I like where the hack is going, though I have some criticisms.

I feel like the story with Aceline is underdeveloped as it's made a point that she wants to redeem her family name, how the lord tried to force her into selling her estate, then the story is dropped as soon as she's recruited. It seems as though this is implied to be a reoccurring plot point, but is never followed through. When you have to take the valley fort, she says she'll be mad if she's made to talk to someone near the boss. I assume it's the boss, but it's not clear since there's no cursor point out who exactly she's talking to. There's no talk command with the boss either, so I'm guessing this part is just not fully implemented.

And this is also true for Sven. It's mentioned that he's killed an important person and he's an infamous criminal, but none of the group knows who he is and it's never explained what the situation with Sven is. Also, his speed is awful, so he died on my playthrough lol.

I had no choice but to let Nilda die, since she leaves her cell and then is immediately swarmed by reinforcements from below and the pre-existing enemies in the room. Getting to her is a problem since the only way to her is a bottle neck that's blocked by numerous enemies. I think she should wait in her cell. If you want an incentive to push forward, I think you should increase her survivability by giving her an elixir and widening the hallway leading to her area.

Chapter 13 has it's own issues as well. The left most village is destroyed on turn 4, but realistically, the only way i was even able to get to it in time was by pushing my level 20 promoted unit in that direction, and even then, Lani was barely out of reach to get it. If the idea was to make saving that particular village a challenge, then I think it should be destroyed by turn 5 or 6.

Moreover, the sages pursuing the group appear on turn 6. This is entirely too soon, and the map lets you field over 10 units, but the map's design also restricts movement greatly. The only way I even beat the map without losing someone was to take only 4 units and fly my promoted unit over to the boss. I personally think the map has a gorgeous design aesthetically, but for a timed map where powerful enemies also chase you very early on, it's very frustrating and this takes a toll on the overall enjoyment of the chapter.

I like the setup you gave Aras to protect herself as an npc.

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently doing a Let's Play of OCA on my channel as we speak. I'm on Chapter 9 of my playthrough and I'm currently editing in the growth rates of the characters for this patch. BTW, what version of this patch? Like 1.5, 1.8, or 1.9?

The most up to date version of the demo patch I would call version 1.1 while what I am working on currently is 1.5 cause of significant changes like adding the support reader and mechanical supports.

the most up to date version of the demo patch should have purple colored enemies like this.

http://imgur.com/3m8d6Tg

http://imgur.com/k8IL8P6

http://imgur.com/Cuc3QE0

Edited by TheMaskedRaider

On 15.1.2017 at 6:00 PM, TheMaskedRaider said:

The most up to date version of the demo patch I would call version 1.1 while what I am working on currently is 1.5 cause of significant changes like adding the support reader and mechanical supports.

the most up to date version of the demo patch should have purple colored enemies like this.

http://imgur.com/3m8d6Tg

http://imgur.com/k8IL8P6

http://imgur.com/Cuc3QE0

Im Technically pretty bad so i would be glad for help, i actually don't see a link to the actual game, let alone i could't link patches to the base game, would be glad if someone could poste the link to the actual game, and what i need for updating, if theres no complete game in one link available.

Oh my god, I was playing this when suddenly EO music!!!!!! You made me a happy Koumal. By the way, anyone knows if there's a file somewhere listing stuff like units growth rates and the likes?

• 2 weeks later...

Alright so I've talked to you before on other mediums a while ago, back in October I believe. You might remember this character roster.

I heard you moved to Serenes and I'm here because I accidentally deleted all my emulators, including my save file of TactHack. Forgot they were in a sub folder of a folder that got corrupted. SO, this means I'll be playing through TactHack a third time, and I thought I'd ask you how the update is going. Will it be a major rebalance or a minor rebalance or just the addition of new features? And is it coming Soon TM or do you have a planned release date? Don't take this as me rushing you, take all the time you need, just curious.

But anyways, my recollections from my past 2 playthroughs are as follows. 

Archers are stronk. I used Boleslav on my first playthrough, he was great. I used Celia on my second, she was also great. Boleslav was slow but strong, Celia I gave a strength consumable, but she doubled basically everything. Both of them easily dealt with the Sages that appear on Chapter 6, I used Haylyn to choke a point because she had resistance out the ass and in both cases used my archers to get fat exp gains off the sages. Boleslav had to use the Longbow to not get doubled and die, while Celia could take them on outright. I would say while both are usable, Celia is by far the better choice. 

Haylyn gets way too much experience from healing, she outlevels everyone. 

Wayland having swords and being slow screws him pretty hard. The game throws a ton of spears at you and swords have never been particularly great weapons. Despite him being reasonably beefy on both playthroughs he was always at risk of dying due to his inability to dodge and how he'd get doubled by enemies a lot. He also had terrible accuracy especially for a sword user. He's not bad, in fact because he's fairly beefy and so slow and inaccurate, he draws fire almost as well as an unarmed healer, and he can take it, although he'd need immediate healing the next turn of course. 

Putting so many anti flyer units on Sven's level which is also a fog of war map is just mean. Also, if I remember correctly Sven's defense is actually worse than the faceless mob Wyvern Riders you fight. I used him on my first playthrough but he was never standout for me. Those are the three characters I used that I had any real beef with, one way or the other.

Although, the male thief, Robert you get early on has really bad stats and there's not any reason to actually deploy him because you don't get any more chests past his level until Melia shows up, who kind of just ends up being a straight upgrade. I suppose he's there for redundancy in case you lose Melia or something but he just seems real pointless except to get the chests in the level. 

Overall I like the difficulty level. I would strongly advise against reducing it. If anything, I would maybe suggest increasing the difficulty of some levels. I am somewhat of a powergamer when it comes to FE, though and I know how to cheese it pretty hard, like the Sages in Ch. 13, so take that suggestion with a grain of salt of course. The Sages would have annihilated me if I didn't cheese them with an overleveled Haylyn without a light tome equipped. If you lowered her experience gain for healing and she didn't level so fast I doubt I could have cheesed them the same way I did. 

I'm going to do a third playthrough and once done I'll give another update of how I feel about it. 

Ch. 14 Cast.png

Currently about to do Chapter 14.

This is my current cast without using any of the consumables (which I'm about to do).

Pre Ch. 14 Cast (2).pngI will start by saying I did a little bit of boss abuse and a tiny amount of RNG manipulation, so my team is a tad stronger than they probably should be. Except for Haylyn, who I hilariously enough attained completely legitimately. Reduce staff experience gain by about 30% she powerlevels so fast it's insane. I can't actually tell if she's OP or not because she just levels up so fast as to make comparisons irrelevant. I again, used her to tank the Sages in Ch. 13 so Celia could powerlevel off them, at least in theory, because this time Celia could just outright fight them (I only used RNG manipulation on her once and got +1 hp +1 skl instead of just +1 lck) and she actually crit killed the boss sage as soon as he attacked her. 

Anyways I mainly just want to note I got extremely good level ups, even if I hadn't used RNG manipulation my team would have still turned out incredibly good. In fact the only characters I actually manipulated more than once were Al, Tactician, and to a lesser extent Martel. Even so I may need to play through a fourth time (and not manipulate) to give a better review of the current difficulty. As it stands bosses are still pretty tough even with a beefy team, and I reset maps a few times anyways. The Dark Mage forest is fairly tough just because of the reinforcements, which I remembered and still died to anyways cause Al couldn't dodge 4 dark mages attacking him at once time who'dathunk it right? 

But my main complaints are #1, Staves give too much experience, #2 Wayland is still difficult to use. This time he got speed but not much defense and still ended up with only 4 luck, still will have to see how he does in 14, but I recall there being a ton of spear users and I may need give him a Dracoshield so he won't be at risk of biting it. #3 Lani blows Sven out of the water. Sven is slow and has bad defense for a guy who's gonna be doubled a lot, and he can't dodge archers like Lani can. #4 Celia blows Boleslav out of the water. Now, her strength in this case is insane just by luck of the draw, but her superior speed and higher starting point make her very easy to use as soon as you get her. Plus you get her right around the time Fliers show up in force, while Boleslav only has a few to feed off of. Both are usable, but Celia ends up being able to reliably one round any enemy because she can always double while Boleslav ends up needing a crit to one round an enemy unless they're particularly slow, or they're a chump he can one shot. #5 Cavaliers feel rather underwhelming to me. Negu is a lot easier to use than Gerwulf, and Dita seems like a better, albeit later addition, Heavy Cavalry. #6 Most enemies don't have a lot of defense. Particularly the Fighters, they still only have 5 defense by Chapter 13. the only non bosses enemies l see with more than 8 defense are the Wyvern Riders and Knights. #7 Tons of dudes, tiny amount of deployment slots. I understand giving us more units on missions would make them a bit easier, but at the same time most of the cast ends up benched very quickly, even units I was attempting to use, because a better unit will show up and instead of being able to use both it's either one or the other. I don't know how many more units you're planning to give us, but 28 by Chapter 14's start while only having 13 deployment slots is a little harsh. I never bothered to use Rorick or Odin in any of my playthroughs mostly because they show up so late but then I don't have any deployment slots for the next mission to add them into my team. I don't want to mess up whatever ideas you guys have but 31 is already a hefty cast size (although I think it would be fairer to say 30, Warren is clearly the fallback guy with bad growths in case you still want a wall but got your other knights killed somehow) Frank seems similar, but by benefit of being mounted and having great well rounded bases I could see him being a viable late game addition. I'm rambling. My point is the cast is already pretty big and full of redundancies. It's great if you're the kind of player who wants variety and choices, or I guess if you're bad and get your guys killed a lot, for me it's mostly just annoying seeing so many greyed out characters in the selection screen.

But again, I stress I'm a powergamer when it comes to FE, and even still I do like having so many choices in theory. 

That's about it, overall the map design is pretty good even if I still hate fog of war maps just on principle. I would say no character in particular is OP save Haylyn just because she can again powerlevel so well, although some characters are quite a bit easier to use than others. I'm unsure how feasible it would be for you to code in a hard mode that just mildly increases enemy stats, maybe 1 in the early game then by chapter 7 or 8, by 2? And maybe actually give enemies besides bosses luck? 

Sorry for droning on so long. I really enjoy this hack and I'm looking forward to its completion. I'd offer my services to help out, but I'm a mechanical engineer and I doubt there'd be much skill overlap. 

Post Ch14 edit. I ended up dumping most of my stat boosters on Wayland, as such he ended up like this.Capture.PNG

I used a Secret Book, Speedwing and Dracoshield. He should have gotten better defense growth and that was just unlucky on my part, but his low skill has been a consistent problem, and his low speed was an issue in my last playthrough, although this time he got speed at the expense of defense. Again, because he also uses swords, he ends up as a whole being more difficult to use than Al and Tact, although he's not bad. Rather, Al and Tact are just both pretty fantastic while Wayland seems to be a bit like a Knight without the move and weapon penalties. 

No extremes to note otherwise. Having a better grasp on what Ch14 entails and a truly overpowered Celia led to it being much easier than my first playthrough, I still only barely managed to kill the boss on the last turn. Pretty straightforward Chapter that's manageable if you play defensive but pretty brutal if you want to get the Earth Seal and the Energy Ring. 

Edited by DefendinMyBase
Updated information

• 2 weeks later...

Finished up to 14.

Pretty good. I like how it's more of a Tellius saga where.. your main character is a mercenary rather Noble (& Beatrice as Lucia and Foskey as that other guy with the beard that I dont care) . I plan on doing a second playthrough after I learn how to make my portrait/hack... Oh... I am going to make a Clara twin...

As for stats.

Beatrice = Celia = Foskey (he's pretty good for my run) > Aceline (good speed) = Rorick.

Tried gaving Rorick and Odin a shot ... I dont like warrior but I do have a fondness for Red/Green combo. Rorick threw Odin out of the water and Odin went benched.

Other notables were Lani, Gerwolf, Negu, Sven (he's aite... but no where near the left 3... he pretty much have strength thats about it).

Btw are there any support unit? I managed a support between Negu and Gerwolf but ... its Kent and Sain. 

Small Problem: The chapter were Chiara join ... Do I really have to send out Aligmas to her field and let her take a hit? Also... the very same chapter when Beatrice joined (How come she has no vulnaries? Feels weird when a unit enter a field with "Fire" tome)

Glitch: SaveState saved me on this one. Used Foskey to rescue Cynthia. If you press "R" to look at Foskey stats. It freezes. In anycase.. eventually I tried to release Cynthia so I can talk with her (if it's out) and she disappeared.

Well to sum up complaints quickley DFB
Staff xp was nerfed to 16 xp per heal instead of the 21 xp. Wayland was buffed as was sven, lani and celia were nerfed slightly. The siblings are a pain in the ass to deal with but they are by at least in theory and averages good. Auto level is being a punk to the fighters. Tons of revamps on the maps either completely redone or extra slots added so there are more chances to try out units and or bring more that are doing well and bench the two bozos(rorick and odin) some more.

Ryuke, there are not supports in the version you played only the default fe 7 supports. In the next version however there will be supports at least mechanically in.

As for updates, We completely revamped growths and bases, as I said earlier we edited or completely redid certain maps, such as chapter 5 and chapter 8, added another wayand gaiden inbetween 7 and 8. I also did some snazzy looking things like finally fix Chiaras enemy palette and make the battle window colors match the unit colors.

Spoiler

Played this hack a while back, I can say I enjoyed it. Can't give much review though since I'm not good at it, but I have something you may have found already like several character's stat screen not completely changed yet and stat screen of those who rescued Cynthia glitching after she "escaped" from her rescuer by herself.
Anyway, keep up the good work!

Yay to more map slots! Now I can actually use certain characters that I didn't have more room for! (axe guys, Aras, keeping another earlygame rookie...) Nice battle windows too.

Stats redone... gonna have to redo my growth sheet then. Does this mean we should reboot when the new patch comes out?

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, TheMaskedRaider said:

Made a rather large update for anybody whose been following.

Demo now goes to 18 and supports(mechanically no convos) have been added.

Also a bunch of balance changes.

Remind me to record this after the RH I do after TFK, I actually wanna get this one done

I remember playing this fully when it was TactHack, and I'm gonna start following this again when I have more time out of school (Literally next week)

Amazing, I was waiting for this! By the way, have you changed the promotion bonuses? I remember them being weird in some cases, but I'm not sure, it's been a long time since I finished this. Actually, I forgot to post my unit review...

Oh yeah, it's been a while since I played a hack since most of them are still in development, so having this back comes as really good for me.

Let's see how this goes with the changes.

EDIT: It seems I cannot patch this to the ROM. Some one who has any success with it?

Edited by TheUltimateChaos