Fire Emblem: Order of the Crimson Arm(FinalVersion1.0 out)

TheMaskedRaider

Unit Poll  

287 members have voted

1. 1. Favortie Demo Unit/Character

• Algimas
    • Tactician
    • Ernst
    • Kurtis
    • Haylyn
    • Martel
    • Aceline
    • Boleslav
    • Negu
    • Gerwulf
    • Sven
    • Beatrice
    • Chiara
    • Robert
    • Nilda
    • Wayland
    • Vlad
    • Elaine
    • Celia
    • Foskey
    • Rorick
    • Odin
    • Meila
    • Lani
    • Brendan
    • Dita
    • Katarina
    • Aras
    • Warren
    • Franck
    • Auguste

On 20 June 2017 at 3:54 PM, Darkyan97 said:

I have a little problem. I just finished Chapter 15 on the so called "Last Turn" when the sun rises, and the cutscenes start playing no problem, but after Clara finishes her last sentence, the screen fades black twice and stays that way completely silent. Did I do something that broke the game, or somehow my patch wasn't downloaded right?

I've got this problem as well, and I've tried multiple emulators, plus skipping the event chain.  Do we have to beat the chapter before the sun rises?  (I'm going to try doing that anyway, seeing as a certain village towards the end of the level seems to quietly close its gates once it gets light...)

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Wayward Winds said:

I've got this problem as well, and I've tried multiple emulators, plus skipping the event chain.  Do we have to beat the chapter before the sun rises?  (I'm going to try doing that anyway, seeing as a certain village towards the end of the level seems to quietly close its gates once it gets light...)

I did not encounter this problem and I did wait until sunrise. I remember that the sun rising brought reinforcements, but I don't know if it causes anything else.

On 20 June 2017 at 3:54 PM, Darkyan97 said:

I have a little problem. I just finished Chapter 15 on the so called "Last Turn" when the sun rises, and the cutscenes start playing no problem, but after Clara finishes her last sentence, the screen fades black twice and stays that way completely silent. Did I do something that broke the game, or somehow my patch wasn't downloaded right?

15 hours ago, Wayward Winds said:

13 hours ago, familyplayer said:

I did not encounter this problem and I did wait until sunrise. I remember that the sun rising brought reinforcements, but I don't know if it causes anything else.

So, I've done some more experimenting.  There seems to be a problem with the eventing somewhere, because the current patch (and yes, I did download it again and patch it to multiple ROMs, and played with multiple emulators) has a definite problem here.  I'm wondering if one of the bug fixes accidentally broke something.

The current patch will allow you to get past the scene with Algimas and Clara, but only if you complete the map before daybreak.  Complete it in 19 turns (sunrise occurs on turn 20), and the scene with Algimas and Clara will fade into a scene with Costner telling Algimas about a nearby supply cache (which, incidentally, leads on to a gaiden chapter called "The Red Wind", involving Magnus).  Complete the map in twenty turns or more, and the game hangs (or outright closes the emulator) instead of bringing up this next scene.

So, question for familyplayer - did you get the gaiden, or did you go straight to Ch. 16?  I know that you waited until after sunrise, but I'm also wondering if the tactician's gender matters at all here; you've got the male tactician, I'm using the female one.  Maybe the eventing is only broken for the female tactician.

In any case, I now need to clear the chapter in under 20 turns properly, as opposed to just dumping all my stat boosters on Algimas and charging forward for testing purposes.

Oh, and that village I mentioned, that closes its gates after sunrise?  It's got an Angelic Robe.

Does anyone want me to upload a couple of saves for testing/bug squashing purposes?  One for winning on turn 19, one for winning on turn 20?

Edited by Wayward Winds

7 hours ago, Wayward Winds said:

So, I've done some more experimenting.  There seems to be a problem with the eventing somewhere, because the current patch (and yes, I did download it again and patch it to multiple ROMs, and played with multiple emulators) has a definite problem here.  I'm wondering if one of the bug fixes accidentally broke something.

The current patch will allow you to get past the scene with Algimas and Clara, but only if you complete the map before daybreak.  Complete it in 19 turns (sunrise occurs on turn 20), and the scene with Algimas and Clara will fade into a scene with Costner telling Algimas about a nearby supply cache (which, incidentally, leads on to a gaiden chapter called "The Red Wind", involving Magnus).  Complete the map in twenty turns or more, and the game hangs (or outright closes the emulator) instead of bringing up this next scene.

So, question for familyplayer - did you get the gaiden, or did you go straight to Ch. 16?  I know that you waited until after sunrise, but I'm also wondering if the tactician's gender matters at all here; you've got the male tactician, I'm using the female one.  Maybe the eventing is only broken for the female tactician.

In any case, I now need to clear the chapter in under 20 turns properly, as opposed to just dumping all my stat boosters on Algimas and charging forward for testing purposes.

Oh, and that village I mentioned, that closes its gates after sunrise?  It's got an Angelic Robe.

Does anyone want me to upload a couple of saves for testing/bug squashing purposes?  One for winning on turn 19, one for winning on turn 20?

I didn't get a gaiden chapter, so I guess I have a reason to replay the game again if another patch requires a restart due to incompatible files. I did have the male tactician so maybe it is only bugged for the female tact. It may also have to do with the possible gaiden. I have no idea.

It's fixed the Ch. 15 issue.  The screen still does the weird double fade to black after the Algimas/Clara scene if you didn't get the gaiden, but it actually moves onto the save screen now.  Both pre-sunrise and post-sunrise event sequences are working properly, and lead onto the correct chapters.

I've already gotten past Ch. 15 before sunrise (without just resorting to the cheap Algimas rush strategy) and am up to Ch. 18 now.  I'll post some proper feedback for the hack as a whole when I'm done with that.

Found an issue of my own. I'm playing ch. 6, and when I try to load the chapter (as in, hit start at the base menu,) the game goes straight to the title screen. I used a couple of save states to check the status of the earlier files, and the problem happened during the chapter as well, triggering whenever I would get within attacking range of an enemy unit or when I open up a character's action list. For some reason, the other chapters worked fine, the problem seems to be focused on ch 6. I don't know if this happened last time I was playing (about May 30) and got to ch 6, but I just used the new patch you provided, and pasted that over the old rom so that I wouldn't lose my saves. Had to reset the fem tact's portrait though (which I now know how to do without problems.)

I'll provide my save so that you can look at the issue of you have time.

Order of the Crimson Arm.sa1

Hey Raider, I'm enjoying this so far. The story feels pretty good, I like how it is set up with journal entries, and the characters feel pretty well rounded. I ran into that issue that Bob of the A had with MyBoy and starting chapter 6. I'll probably just go around it with VBA on my PC, but it's an interesting bug. Anyways, how is everything going with work towards the final full release? I'd love to be able to help on anything that needs to be done, even some smaller stuff. I have a decent amount of free time after work.

Hey Raider, I'm enjoying this so far. The story feels pretty good, I like how it is set up with journal entries, and the characters feel pretty well rounded. I ran into that issue that Bob of the A had with MyBoy and starting chapter 6. I'll probably just go around it with VBA on my PC, but it's an interesting bug. Anyways, how is everything going with work towards the final full release? I'd love to be able to help on anything that needs to be done, even some smaller stuff. I have a decent amount of free time after work.

21 hours ago, RobIsFalling said:

Hey Raider, I'm enjoying this so far. The story feels pretty good, I like how it is set up with journal entries, and the characters feel pretty well rounded. I ran into that issue that Bob of the A had with MyBoy and starting chapter 6. I'll probably just go around it with VBA on my PC, but it's an interesting bug. .

I don't know how much luck you'll have with the bug, I was using VBA when I ran into it. Anyway, I hope it works for you. The screenshots I've seen from later in the game look pretty awesome.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So another minor error that might need attending to: Ch. 18 has a mucked up portrait.

Specifically, on turn 10 Dione turns up with a few Pegasus knights.  The introductory scene is perfectly fine, but once gameplay starts and you go and put the cursor over Dione, you find she's got Farina's minimug.  R button into the status screen, and she's got Farina's portrait as well.  It's a bit odd, because she was perfectly fine in the last chapter...

Ah, well, I usually on lurk here on these forums, but I might as well share my characters here with you..

Celia: Think I'll start with her. I love using Snipers/Archers, and I also have a thing for girls with bows, so I couldn't resist at all. She turned out to be very powerful and ended up snuffing out the lights of many bosses in the game after promotion. Easily my favorite character combat-wise yet. I just hope that embedding the screenshots of the characters will work like I expect it to. :') Here goes..

WtKU2mi.png

Beatrice: Frail. But her A support with her husband usually allows her to dodge. If she doesn't feel like dodging, she usually is able to take two physical hits and that's the end of the line. Her resistance, on the other hand, let's her tank mages very well. I liked having her around.

dTWLoS2.png

Foskey: Seems to be a little less useful than Aceline and his low luck doesn't do him any favors, either. However, he comes with the aforementioned A support with his wife and can tank physical hits where she can't. His resistance, on the other hand, is pretty poor and he shouldn't be sent up against mages, lest you want to see him bite the dust. Contrary to what his speed stat might suggest, he can dodge hits semi-reliably as long as he's within three spaces of Beatrice.

Ao2u5eO.png

Elaine: Well, well.. I see a lot of people praising her for getting magic quite often, but for me, she only got up to nine magic before promotion (In total), which I'd consider pretty poor. She feels a lot like FE 6 Clarine: Relatively low magic, but with dodgetank capabilities. As long as she has a Mend staff at her disposal, she'll usually heal up most characters just fine, but her offense is pretty poor, especially against high-res classes like Pegasus Knights/Falcoknights. Her high resistance speaks for itself, I guess.

LRgaZpB.png

Odin: First of all, let me point out that I like his portrait. He looks like an.. mh, how do I put it? A basement hacker who sustains himself by eating KFC? Haha. (I'm not being sarcastic, I really like his portrait. Makes me chuckle everytime I look at it, so I kept him around.) His stats are pretty solid and kept him relevant to the posse, I usually use Berserkers over Warriors, but I don't mind him.

id6upjG.png

Melia: As frail as you'd expect from a thief. It also doesn't help that a majority of the enemies in the game appear to be lance users. (At least I'm under the impression. I found her pretty hard to use.) What's noteworthy about her is her resistance, she's probably a really good magekiller if EXP is invested in her. I might train her when the next patch's out.

gVeMZfg.png

Wayland: Oh, Wayland. He felt like a decently fast Sword Armor, and I like it. His only weakness would be his lacking resistance and skill, which leads to rather problematic hitrates. I'd recommend saving your Secret Books for the guy, unless mine just got skill-screwed. His immense gain of mobility after promotion makes him really fun to use, and I personally do not mind the fact that he's still sword-locked.

eDn5Yq9.png

Aceline: 16 speed on a Lv. 1 General? Granted, I used a Speedwing on her, but damn! She was incredibly useful early-game and was able to tank a lot for the posse. Her low luck makes her prone to critical hits, but she usually tanks those as long as her enemy isn't overly strong. Don't think I have to say much else, her stats pretty much speak for themselves.

vDJZ0v7.png

Algimas: Has been a liability before I decided to invest an Angelic Robe on him. When he got the Silver Lance, he finally started contributing a lot to the posse, and after promotion, he's finally as useful as the others. He's been a late bloomer for me, and felt sort of lackluster to me stat-wise, but.. I'm guessing that it's how he was supposed to be.

2heQSDf.png

Kamille: Low CON, mediocre speed and heavy dark magic spells.. well, they're certainly useful early-game, but drop in usefulness during the current mid-game, then after promotion, they regain their usefulness to an extent. The high magic and skill-stat ensure hard-hitting and accurate attacks.

wxbiY4D.png

Lani: Awesome flier with very high strength. Her defenses might look pretty high, but despite that, she's actually somewhat frail. Her high speed ensures that she dodges frequently, though. If you didn't train her, Eliana or Cynthia can probably make decent substitutes.

eE3J768.png

I want to start off by saying that this hack was fun to play, and had enough of a challenge without becoming frustrating. New classes and weapons are always fun to place with, and the Strategist critical animation looks fantastic!

Not sure what of this is intended, normally part of FE7 (I haven't played it for a while), engine limitations  or already reported. There were a few additional general issues I wanted to report but managed to accidentally delete from the .txt I was using to record info.

Just so I understand, after chapter 18 the game continues as FE7 rather than ending, right? I played another chapter or two that point after and it seemed that way.

General stuff:
* Promoting into a Sage grants E-rank Light. However, all Light tomes are D or higher.
* Some characters have support conversations even though only functionality should be in the hack right now. They use wrong portraits and text.
* Knight Crest description is outdated.
* Rouges gain 1 movement and still need Lockpicks.
* Merlinus is the party's merchant but is never established as a character.
* Forts heals 20% of maximum hp per turn, but Gates only heal 10%.

Chapter specific:
* Chapter 8 objective is supposed to be seize gate, but in reality is defeat boss. Or possibly route since he was my last foe. The knight who must be protected and an ally (forgot names) gain A-rank support on this map.
* Chapter 9 objective is supposed to be defeat boss, but in reality is seize gate. After killing the boss, there's dialogue with incorrect portraits.
* Chapter 10 has a Shaman with Flux spawn on the north-east peaks, and then one in the south-west woods. The latter won't move to attack enemies in range, and the former is stuck. I imagine both are "0 movement" like some previous knights and bosses even though movement displays normally, and had Eclipse tomes which were used. Just  wanted to check.
* Chapter 11 objective is Defeat Wire" although the boss is Cortez. There are some Light Cavalry with axes, and Heavy Cavalry with lances here. All have backup weapons so not but still an issue.
* Chapter 12 south house flashes to interior and then back to map without anything happening if one selects the "visit" prompt.
* Chapter 14 has a monk with rank E in Light but a Divine tome so it's effectively unarmed.
* Chapter 15 objective eventually will change to display "Last Turn" if taking too long, but this has no effect.
* Chapter 17 boss has a Delphi Shield which can't be stolen (It may be that my Rouge had lower speed or that they lose the steal ability, don't recall). In addition there's a Pegasus Knight with a steel sword, a Pegasus Knight with a bow, and later on a Drake rider spawns with an Aircalibur. In all cases they have no other weapons so are unarmed.

Edited by Sythion

More minor notes from a second playthrough that's almost done:
-Dione's portrait in her Chapter 17 boss quote is wrong, it uses one of Jormund's flunkies.
-Chapter 18's armory and shop are located in the opposite buildings the map would normally indicate. Also, Short Axes are dirt cheap at 120 G, even if they are horribly inaccurate.

• 4 weeks later...

fun hack

I haven't completed all the content there is in this version yet but since I'm on Chapter 18 which I think is nearing the end of the current content and I've gotten my entire team promoted now's as good a time as ever to do a screenshot dump

Main team:

Algimas:

Algimas.png.b1392822e5b684ce5616b2c82f3b80c0.png

While not nearly as fantastic as his brother, Al's still a very good unit. For awhile he was Speed-deprived which made it hard for him to double many foes with anything heavier than an Iron Lance, but he ended up correcting that by himself without the need of any Speedwings, making him a very well-rounded and reasonably versatile unit.

Wayland:

Wayland.png.0111c756dd9f89073879ccfcaf717301.png
Easily my favorite playable character in this hack, no questions asked. If there's any character I could compare him to it'd be Hector: He's got absolutely fantastic HP, Strength, and Defense, decent enough Speed that the only times he'd had trouble doubling the enemy types who could even scratch him were in his side chapters, and following promotion decent Resistance for a physical unit too. That comparison doesn't really do him all the justice he deserves, though, because he gets a wyvern mount on top of all that when he promotes, giving him 8 movement. (Yup, that's totally not broken.) The only flaws I'd really say he has are his maintained sword lock after promotion and the fact that it can be a bit hard to get him off the ground, but his side chapters alleviate that a lot.

Tactician (Kamille):

Kamille.png.eaafa2f3c4a4d61a07991e8dbf1af469.png
Sort of an unconventional crutch character in that they start at only level 1 but with an increased experience growth rate which combined with their access to magic from the first chapter makes them a real force to be reckoned with early on, but they ended up lacking in the requisite Speed to double many foes later on in the game. Still a good unit regardless of their speed issues though, because the effectiveness of a magic user acquired as of the very first chapter isn't really something that can be overstated.

Sven:

Sven.png.ebed5466a1c064384ae664e2a0207bab.png
Sven's sort of one of those units who are defined more by their availability more than anything. His Resistance and particularly Luck are abysmal making him extremely vulnerable to magic attacks and making him being randomly critted a very plausible scenario, his Speed is pretty mediocre even with the Speedwing I fed him, and even his Defense isn't particularly spectacular for what you might expect out of his class. With that said, he's the first flier you acquire (with the next, Lani, coming around 7 chapters later iirc, and I didn't end up using her anyway though I've heard good things about her in this thread), and that alone comes with immeasurable utility. He also benefits a lot from the fact that his class uses Axes in this game since the game has a lot of spear-wielders as enemies.

Haylyn:

Haylyn.png.2f345d62de580899c507f74d0a9ad1b5.png
Though she's just your early-game healer I like her quite a lot, she turned out extremely fast for me (her Speed is already capped as only a level 9 bishop!) and she's got good Magic, Luck, and Resistance as well, as you might expect from a Cleric. Her Skill turned out rather poor but she hasn't had any accuracy issues due to the high accuracy of Light tomes so she should be alright in that department too. On top of all of that, the increased experience gain from staves makes her level up extremely quickly if you heal at all opportunities like I did, making it feasible to get her to level 20 before promoting if you feel comfortable doing so (I got her to 18, personally)

Kurtis:

Kurtis.png.606c84310fb01585856616e62592f84d.png
Like the Tactician, Kurtis also gets increased experience gain from enemies. Stats-wise though he's sort of like a mirror-world Algimas in that he's got slightly lower parameters in Strength/Skill/Speed but much higher Defense; like Al he was bereft of Speed for quite awhile but fixed it himself. I found having high Defense to be a lot more useful in this game than in standard FE7 because enemies are stronger, so Kurtis always found a way to make himself useful even during the times he couldn't double reliably.

Chiara:

Chiara.png.fea4c1528178991b0aa4cc8381d89151.png
Chiara's another one of my favorite units to use in this hack. Her Strength may have turned out on the low side but it's made up for by the fact that her Skill and Speed are incredibly high, allowing her to wield heavier weapons with impunity despite her Con being fairly low as well. If it gives any insight, she had already maxed Skill and Speed as a level 18 Mercenary by the time I'd promoted her to Hero, and her evasion while in a forest is so high that she was able to hold off Roswell's death mage squad by herself for two turns despite having low Resistance.

Elaine:

Elaine.png.97a31d44d003c611622bc6e61076994d.png
Elaine turned out pretty much strictly worse than Haylyn statistically, but I still decided to run her because running two healers is something I always feel the need to do in Fire Emblem games. That's about all there is to say, she's a healer on a horse

Celia:

Celia.png.5d284e404627e07ae8ae835a4b3a07c6.png
Her stats make her look a bit better than she actually was because I kept forgetting to buy her any Steel Bows, whoops... With that said I still liked using her a lot despite generally hating to use Archers, she made for a very good mage killer because of her high Strength, Speed, and Resistance and that's an extremely important niche in this game because unlike in vanilla FE7 generic enemy mages can actually be significant threats to most of your physical units (this is an improvement I like quite a bit about this game, by the way)

Katarina:

Katarina.png.7972558b80e446da0cd2c94be743d8b4.png
She's a Dancer. That's about all there is to say about her except that I was pretty impressed by how high her Speed and Luck were at base (didn't take a screenshot at the time so don't remember now, unfortunately) and that she has the ability to throw in Staves too, but I never did this because she was invariably always better off just Dancing. I gave her the Boots because I think Dancers always benefit more from having them as opposed to other units, even Generals.

Warren:

Warren.png.7e596fd228cf0bebe6b2854cc0d7fae7.png
Speaking of Generals, Warren was alright. He was actually extremely useful in his joining chapter because of the fact that he has both high Defense and high Resistance for a physical unit in combination with starting with a Hand Axe to kill magic users on the counter, but I didn't get much use out of him after that except as just a filler unit. Still, that Resistance seems extremely appealing if you want to try using a General in this game.

Danica:

Danica.png.2ebe40430fb7c3e4e6b0c6a99841ddb5.png
Much like Warren, her late joining time means that I didn't get much use out of her, but her bases impressed me enough that I considered dropping Ernst for her. (I eventually decided to run both of them at once, and I think I'll continue doing so for the rest of this version)

Ernst:

Ernst.png.37ad4c498a98511f5743e113d63e9a67.png
Ah, Ernst. He's a pretty interesting unit imo for two reasons: The first being that he's a Myrmidon with good defense, which aside from his low-ish Con makes him play more like a Mercenary at least until his promotion, and the second being his experience progression, which is pretty similar to that of an Oifey except that he doesn't start overwhelmingly powerful like an Oifey does. Instead, before the rest of my party members caught up with him I got the most use of him by using him to feed kills of tough physical enemies to my weaker units, which isn't something you could do with, say, Seth. At times his awful Resistance could make him a liability when going up against magical units, but he was always pretty solid on the whole.

Supporting cast:

Meila:

Meila.png.6aadb5adea131d930599f57830bcda54.png
Pretty bog-standard Thief aside from her Resistance which is quite good for a physical unit. This thread has said lots of good things about her so I probably could have gotten something better out of her if I'd tried to train her up, but I generally find training Thieves to be far more trouble than it's worth and I don't know if she'd for sure be an exception to that. As an aside, I like how she looks kind of sleepy in her portrait... I don't know why, I just do.

Beatrice:

Beatrice.png.62da6870ce7a4494d79f34a03256f6b2.png
I was actually using her for quite awhile hence her high level, but I opted to drop her because she really wasn't impressing me in terms of Magic and Speed and I didn't really need more offensive magic users than Kamille and Haylyn (who I'm pretty sure I'd promoted by the time I dropped her). Perhaps she'd have been better if I'd made an attempt to use her husband as well, given the Support they start out with?

Gerwulf:

Gerwulf.png.dd6c328ea0bd276a0bd6b603413b4873.png
He was originally going to be part of my main team but I promoted him as early as level 10 out of necessity for having a unit with 8 move (I believe this was in the chapter where you recruit Nilda, I was having a lot of trouble trying to recruit her before she kills herself on the enemies with 7-move units as the maximum) and then dropped him shortly after. Since I like this game's version of the Great Knight so much I may try to use either him or Dita on my return playthrough if I do one, but it's hard to say.

Negu:

Negu.png.c031016dd2aa7202f6f474a120946d90.png
She was awful

Franck:

Franck.png.a4126a30113eb67bf76510473c5a534c.png
I honestly forget why I even screenshotted this guy, he was reasonably useful in his join chapter for most of the same reasons Warren was albeit diminished due to his lower defenses (although being able to double enemies besides knights unlike Warren was handy) but I never once deployed him afterwards. Maybe it's just because I really like his portrait? I don't know.

(hopefully I did the screenshots right btw, I'm still a bit unused to this forum)

Edited by Stocke

• 3 weeks later...

Might as well give an update, but we are working on the final chapters(starting work on ch 21 of 25) of the game after a break of doing nothing.

I won't say expect a completely finished version within the month, but I would say its in theory possible to see it by october/november.

It'll be done when its done, and that might be soonish.

On 9/8/2017 at 10:47 AM, TheMaskedRaider said:

Might as well give an update, but we are working on the final chapters(starting work on ch 21 of 25) of the game after a break of doing nothing.

I won't say expect a completely finished version within the month, but I would say its in theory possible to see it by october/november.

It'll be done when its done, and that might be soonish.

Looking forward to it ^^