First time playing Gaiden. Any tips?

SimpleTactician

To take a break from FE7's HHM, I've decided to play a bit o' Gaiden. Despite its clunkiness, I find myself enjoying this game (if only because of the removal of the dreaded Archer Curse).

However, since this IS an NES game, I'd imagine that there would be some possible trial and error. Like, 'A Glimpse In Time' sort of trap. So far, I know that I should avoid fighting Dozer at the end of Chapter 1, but that's about it.

My current situation is this: I'm on Chapter 1. I've been using all of my units, and I've promoted the villagers ASAP. I just recruited Krebe and his gang, and my encounter with Dozer is next.

It would be nice having a tip or two, but if I'd also like to see your experiences with the game, if it doesn't bother you. I'd like to see your thoughts about Gaiden.

Edited by MathMagoo12

I promoted Robin into a Mercenary, Grey into an Archer and Cliff into a Mage.

You made a BIG mistake promoting Grey into an Archer, but other than that you're basically set for the entirety of Chapter 1. Making Cliff a Mage and AT THE VERY LEAST 1 other villager a mercenary is one of the best things you could do at the beginning of Alm's route.

I usually go Merc!Grey, Mage!Cliff, and Archer!Robin. Mage is the best choice for Cliff, and Mercenary is a great class.

You usually shouldn't bother with making any of the villagers (not even Atlas) into Archers because they can't hit things worth shit. If you DO pick up a natural archer, go ahead because utility.

You usually shouldn't bother with making any of the villagers (not even Atlas) into Archers because they can't hit things worth shit. If you DO pick up a natural archer, go ahead because utility.

I don't really think Robin is good. I jut use him as an archer till I get an archer to replace him

I don't really think Robin is good. I jut use him as an archer till I get an archer to replace him

If you're going to use Robin (which you should at least for a little while) make him a merc so he gets good stats as soon as he promotes. Also give him the Bolt Sword so he actually has a reason to exist.

If you're going to use Robin (which you should at least for a little while) make him a merc so he gets good stats as soon as he promotes. Also give him the Bolt Sword so he actually has a reason to exist.

That's why he carries his Levin Sword

Yeah, the bolt sword is good.

That's why he carries his Levin Sword

Yeah, the bolt sword is good.

So no further arguments? Okay, glad we can agree on something.

Anyways, in Chapter 3, DO NOT go after Sonia's map. Go after Deen's. You'll have both an easier time and get a better unit.

Promote anyone who can be ASAP.

Promoted Pegasus Knights do insane damage to monsters, do try to promote them.

Deen > Sonia

Remember that Bow Knights have 1-5 range.

Other than that it's your typical Fire Emblem with more trial and error than others as there's less hand holding. If you find yourself stuck somewhere, you're often able to travel back to areas where you can grind as much as you need to.

Edited by Sirius

You made a BIG mistake promoting Grey into an Archer, but other than that you're basically set for the entirety of Chapter 1. Making Cliff a Mage and AT THE VERY LEAST 1 other villager a mercenary is one of the best things you could do at the beginning of Alm's route.

Whoops. Oh well. It's not like Grey has a good speed growth either. Even for Gaiden's growths, it still sucks.

Anyways, in Chapter 3, DO NOT go after Sonia's map. Go after Deen's. You'll have both an easier time and get a better unit.

Gotcha.

Promote anyone who can be ASAP.

Promoted Pegasus Knights do insane damage to monsters, do try to promote them.

Deen > Sonia

Remember that Bow Knights have 1-5 range.

Other than that it's your typical Fire Emblem with more trial and error than others as there's less hand holding. If you find yourself stuck somewhere, you're often able to travel back to areas where you can grind as much as you need to.

Cheers for the advice. On a side note, I think it was Ghast's playthrough that encouraged me to play Gaiden. I only watched part 1, so that I could have a shot at the game at my own pace.

robin is just terrible

archers/snipers with an equipped bow also have 1-5 range, while bow knights have it inherently

the game has a tendency to be unbalanced but can work for you too, some of the items like the rings are pretty ridiculously good, but some are pretty hidden if you don't look them up.

if you need to grind mummies give a huge amount of experience. there's a specific map in the lost forest area (though that's admittedly later) that has around 10 of them, and you can leave the area and reset the battle infinitely afterwards.

overall it's not especially difficult.

Edited by Tryhard

I promoted Robin into a Mercenary, Grey into an Archer and Cliff into a Mage.

I would've promoted Grey into a Mercenary as well, but I usually tend to have an archer in my group at all times.

In my opinion, Robin fares better as a Cavalier. Besides, you get an Archer during Chapter 1 anyway.

As far as other tips...

You'll eventually come across weapons. They have no durability, and they act almost like Hold Items in Pokemon. In Chapter 1, you can get a Levin Sword. However, the Levin Sword will always do 15 Damage in Gaiden.

So far so good. I've made it all the way through chapter 2 without too much trouble (Although I skipped recruiting Boey because he's seemingly as universally hated as Robin). In chapter 3, I did not move Alm's group an inch. Instead, I've played through Celica's pack of levels, up until I've recruited Atlas. He has 14 whopping strength, and I've been thinking of putting that to use by promoting him into a Mercenary. Seriously, you can't really go wrong with mercenaries in the series.

I still need to visit the Dragon Shrine and the fort to the east. I'll play Dean's level, as suggested by you guys.

I think I've got Celica's route in the bag. Anything that I should watch out for in the future?

Celica promotes in Geyse's fortress when she talks to the priestess. Alm promotes when Celica talks to the sage in the lost woods (in chapter 4). In chapter 4, DO NOT move Alm onto dragon mountain until you've played all of Celica's maps. At the risk of stating the obvious, do not kill Dyute at the end of chapter 3. Shuffle the angel ring to get the most out of your levels (if you feel like it).