Cipher Series 8: April 20 - Promo Chrom in Dengeki Nintendo!

Kirie

Fire Emblem Cipher Series 8
Release Date: March 17th, 2017
Info section on the FECipher Official Website (Japanese)

Booster Series - 生と死- 運命の先へ (Life and Death: Crossroads of Fate)
Featured Games:

• Genealogy of the Holy Wars (Yellow Cards)
  • Alternate Timeline Awakening (Blue Cards)

Booster Boxes now available for pre-order from AmiAmi!
S8 sleeves feature Chrom, Tiki, Seliph, and Altenna. Pre-order on AmiAmi: Chrom, Tiki, Seliph, Altenna
Tournament Promos (Olivia, Lewyn, Cherche, Julia, Caeda, Sothe)

Revealed Cards:

Promo Chrom from Dengeki Nintendo!

Full set list is now live on the official site!

All Y!J leaks will be compiled here. Currently known: Leif R+X, Frederick SR+, Febail, Larcei, Ares, and Maribelle R+, Lene R, Julia N/HN

Daily Reveals:

Spoiler

BSIUzim.png
Bride Lissa

wtACJDG.png
Jeanne N/HN

item_B08_02.png
Tiny image of Larcei R+ (and other already revealed cards)

bZl4XfY.png
Patty N & SR

D4kZrgU.png
Julis & Seliph SR

Awakening Spoilers - Grima R - click here to view!

JcxEu2i.png
F!Robin SR

bh06dcJ.png
Tine R/R+

b5qxxqb.png
Tharja R

ScJ17cp.jpg
Kawade's deck from Cipher Sai East (new Sumia, Emmeryn)

0Zp3m9X.png
Julia N & SR

t1d5exi.png
Virion R

ha4K2pN.png
Cherche SR

FObLt7Q.png
Hannibal and Coirpre

99tZLTi.png
Owain R

bveJ7J3.png
Kellam R & Mysteriously Blank R+

Pe0sesS.png
Aversa N & SR

0G9bjf7.png
Larcei R

WbuI4GN.png
Noire N/HN

4sYqOCi.png4xVEKN6.png
Alm & Celica Valentia Complete Promos

O92HDmB.png
Shannan SR & SR+

UlDrnhN.png
Tiki & Lucina

T5HjleF.png
Lucina R

DjjB9DN.png
Febail R

d8KfinH.png
Frederick SR

B21Uupu.png
Ulster HN

sKkAB3A.png
Exalt Chrom

34ztxFd.png
Risen King Chrom

jEyDFtn.png
Altenna SR

ZibAFpj.png
Fee R

nMLskjW.png
Risen - 3 Variants (Sword, Axe, Lance)

qKdjDgB.png
Chrom & Seliph

Pre-Release Livestream Reveals - Full album can be viewed here.
Winter Livestream Reveals - Full album can be viewed here.
S8 Ad Posters - new art of Larcei, new cards for Lucina, Ced, Henry, Arthur, Miriel, Cherche, Nah, and Oifey

Revealed Artwork:

Compilation of S8 Text-Free Artwork from artists (in-progress)
Shannan artwork shown at Cipher Sai West
Promotion text-free art - F!Robin, Lucina, Cherche, RK Chrom, Seliph, Altena, Shannan, Julius
Risen King Chrom & Seliph art on Cipher Sai Marker Cards
All other pre-release artwork can be seen in the Series 8 Intro article on the main page here.

Edited by Kirie

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably a bit early since so little is known about this set, but I thought I'd go ahead and make the thread so we have a place to dump info as it's learned. Feel free to discuss and speculate, of course. :)

Given what we've seen of the Fates cards in Series 6 and 7, and how few characters from Awakening are actually left without cards, I kinda get the feeling we'll be seeing the rest of the Spotpass characters/main villains in this set. Or, some of them at least. Should be fun. It'd be nice for some of the single-card characters to get another chance in the spotlight, too.

Unfortunately, I haven't played Genealogy, and as such I can't really speculate on what characters would be represented.

Also, not that it really affects anything, but it'd be nice to see Chrom be the mascot of a blue set instead of Lucina like the last two.

I'm pretty sure Chrom will return as the mascot.

We'll probably get alternate classes of a majority of characters as well as characters we haven't seen yet. We don't have to have a WHOLE pack of new characters, but only like... 10-20 cards new, for example.

It's pretty obvious what we should get from Gen II of Genealogy though let's be honest.

Edited by TheVinceKnight

Chrom wasn't the mascot last time because he was a mirage, and all the mirages got downgraded (hi Caeda). Although to be fair, Lucina got the box cover in set 1, and it wouldn't surprise me if she got it here as well, since well her and Seliph have you know what going for them.

Edited by Draxal

Chrom wasn't the mascot last time because he was a mirage, and all the mirages got downgraded (hi Caeda). Although to be fair, Lucina got the box cover in set 1, and it wouldn't surprise me if she got it here as well, since well her and Seliph have you know what going for them.

Lucina had the box Cover in Set 4 as well right?

...you could say this is where Chrom... makes his Chromback...

Assuming the theme of Series 8 is going to be more focused on the second generation of characters of Ylisse and Jugdral, my current belief is that the mascots will just be Lucina and Seliph. I don't think it makes a lot of sense for Chrom to be a mascot unless they also want to make Sigurd a fourth one (it wouldn't be one or the other, I think), and it seems like too much to happen when we usually just see two mascots per series, or three in Series 4's case. I would personally love for Chrom to be an unadulterated mascot for a series (I feel that Series 1 doesn't really count and that Lucina actually stole it from him), but realistically I think he's doomed to be a bit of his own joke character ever since Smash Bros. happened.

On a different note, I think a later series, maybe as early as Series 9, could potentially be one about the second generation of characters of Nohr/Hoshido and Elibe if they really wanted to do that, but that may be a discussion for another day.

I hope we see more cards of playable Ylissean characters who only ever saw one, like Vaike, Maribelle, and Kellam. Since Series 6 is making the game more open to having playable villains, it may not be too crazy to also see others like Validar, Walhart, and even Grima become playable too. Chrom's depiction as a veteran Exalt (probably how he appears post Awakening Endgame) might complement this idea since they basically did this with Series 6 and the royals. I'd like to see Emmeryn too, and it doesn't seem impossible to see Phila as well since they're letting Mahnya in with Series 6.

With all of this in mind, I don't think there will be much if any space to feature Jugdral's second generation replacement characters. We'd be lucky to even see them here, but I hope they do appear at some point.

Edit: I want to see someone appear in the Griffon Rider class. I'm personally not avid about the class but I think it would be nice to see it represented somewhere.

Edited by Prince of Iris

On a different note, I think a later series, maybe as early as Series 9, could potentially be one about the second generation of characters of Nohr/Hoshido and Elibe if they really wanted to do that, but that may be a discussion for another day.

I have to be honest, I'll have had enough Black, White, & Blue by that time. Not when Magvel andValencia still gets the shaft.

Honestly, I'm disappointed that Magvel wasn't in set 8.

Edited by ChibiToastExplosion

Don't think Awakening set will be focused on second gen characters. It will be more focused on spotpass characters and villains. Maybe a Grima [romoted card for both Robins for example.

After this set, we will have roughly (just using boosters cards so not using promos or starter exclusives for this).

Red 100

Blue 150(151 Priam)

White 125

Black 125

Green 100 (99 Priam)

Purple 100

Yellow 100

Red is a lock for set 9 imho (they might go Gaiden for this). And I'll bet you they throw Sacred Stones in it as a new color or Green in as well.

Edit: I want to see someone appear in the Griffon Rider class. I'm personally not avid about the class but I think it would be nice to see it represented somewhere.

I'm kinda predicting we'll get Emma as a Griffon Rider. It's one of the few flying classes she's yet to take on, and I personally would find it a little odd to pull Cherche or Gerome away from Minerva, even if it's something you can actually do in game.

I have to be honest, I'll have had enough Black, White, & Blue by that time. Not when Magvel andValencia still gets the shaft.

Honestly, I'm disappointed that Magvel wasn't in set 8.

I know how you feel. Fates has a relatively large presence in the TCG and I'd personally prefer to see them move on to other things too. However, I get that Intelligent Systems wants to stick with it for a while longer than others considering it's the hottest game in the series right now. I'm confident we'll see new stuff sooner or later. Magvel and Valencia would be great to see.

Edited by Prince of Iris

Don't think Awakening set will be focused on second gen characters. It will be more focused on spotpass characters and villains. Maybe a Grima [romoted card for both Robins for example.

After this set, we will have roughly (just using boosters cards so not using promos or starter exclusives for this).

Red 100
Blue 150(151 Priam)
White 125
Black 125
Green 100 (99 Priam)
Purple 100
Yellow 100

Red is a lock for set 9 imho (they might go Gaiden for this). And I'll bet you they throw Sacred Stones in it as a new color or Green in as well.

Robin promoting into Grima would be crazy but I love the idea.

I definitely agree that SpotPass and villain characters will get some limelight here, but I feel like the hypothetical idea of the theme of Series 8 being a little more about the second generation characters of both Ylisse and Jugdral would be a safer and more likely thing they'd do. Even though Chrom is really the first and only confirmed character we know who will be in it so far, I don't feel like that's necessarily a lock that he could be the mascot. Maybe it'll be another bait and switch and Lucina will be the mascot again.

A Valentia and Magvel combo would be great since they go really well together thematically, I should say.

A big factor is going to be FE Mobile. If that game features an original cast, you can rest assured that Series 9 will feature it.

That's a great point to bring up. At the very least I think there will very likely be some kind of crossover between Cipher and the mobile game in some capacity; it'd be kind of silly if they didn't at least do something with the two together.

If the mobile game has its own cast of characters, then I can't see them not being featured in the TCG in a new set, and I think they probably wouldn't want to wait later than Series 9 or 10 to do that. Although we know very little about the mobile game right now, the confirmed detail about it having character customization might mean a new Avatar character (I wouldn't think Kris, Robin, or Corrin would be reused for that purpose, if true), in which case that might spell for a new setting for the game to take place in, and in turn a new cast of characters. I'm just ready to finally see what it's all about.

Of course, that's all for later. We'd need to go through Series 8 first to see anything like that.

I'm kinda predicting we'll get Emma as a Griffon Rider. It's one of the few flying classes she's yet to take on, and I personally would find it a little odd to pull Cherche or Gerome away from Minerva, even if it's something you can actually do in game.

Your idea of Emma taking on Griffon Rider actually sounds very plausible to me, I appreciate that you brought that up. I hadn't considered Emma before, but now that you mention it, I think that would be a very sensible thing to happen. Cherche or Gerome adopting Griffon Rider for the sake of being able to say that the class finally showed up in the TCG doesn't seem as nice as just having Emma take it for herself. I wouldn't mind to see that.

Edited by Kirie

as long as we get King Chrom, I'm ok with Lucina stealing the mascot spot again (though I hope Chrom gets to keep it this time).

I wonder if 9 will be red/mobile, or Thracia/mobile? both seem plausible.

also, if mobile's a new cast, what color would it get?

We are starting to run out of easily distinguished colors. My guess is mobile is orange and sacred stones will be teal. Giaden could be red or pink.

I'm starting to think Ema/Shade/Lando/Yuzu will have a presence in mobile.

.ie It's more of a greatest hits game were you can recruit units of all fire emblem games during gacha events/game events.

Edited by Draxal

Since they revealed King Chrom earlier, I'm hopeful there'll be more "epilogue" cards akin to the Nohrian King Xander and Hoshidan King Ryoma cards in Series 6 and 7. Also, because we've reached the epilogue of Fates and potentially Awakening, I'm guessing we won't see Awakening or Fates after this series, but who knows since they need to milk their cash cows: P

Edited by VincentASM

IS while clearly taking popularity into considerations in notably taking gameplay into it too unlike certain other cardgames nowadays cofcofVangaurdcofcoftwoyearswithoutasinglecardofsupportforsomearquetypescofcof, meaning that after certain ammounts of time every game will get more cards, Fates is clearly taking some priority due to being the new game but it also suffers from not being that great due to them pushing to have too many characters but too litte actual focus into cards, now they can actually focus in a theme and making actually valuable cards rather than puting as many characters as they can due to most characters already being covered.

The first three sets where a mix of "we need more colors" and "Fates is all the rage", even then it'd be a good idea to see the current standings:

1-Two new Colors due to launch (These being Archanea and Ylisse as tehy are the more well known ones)
2-Two new Colors due to launch and newest game (Taking advantage of it releasing two games)

3-New Color and support latest new colors (These beign Fates due to newest game (Technically counting as new game in the Cipher lineup too due to it being Revelations) along introducing Tellius)

4-Support for existing older colors that needed it (as they had less cards than Fates due to the White/Black splash, they also featured TMS due to it's recent release)

5-Support for the latest new color and a new one (Tellius getting it's support here getting up to par with the others and introduces Elibe)

6-Support for an older color that needs it and a new one (This making Black (Via Revelations) up and higuer than the rest and introduces Jugdral)

7-Support for the previous latest new color and for an older one that needs it (This bringing White (Via Revelations) up and higuer than the rest alongside support for Elibe)

8-Support for the previous latest new color and for an older one that needs it (This bringing Blue up and higuer than the rest and supporting Jugdral)

From this which I hope you could understand (I'm iffy on the phracing), we can see that their priority is to keep card numbers as equal as possible even if they stick to their themes.

Based off this I'd like to call that Set9 should bring more support for Archanea (aka Red) alongside a new Color, with Set10 being new color again alongside Tellius support, depending on Set9. Set11 would very likely be Set9s New Color support and Elibe with 12 being Set10s new Color and Jugdral.

From here on out we are on mystery territory, on top of the fact that we are very likely to be getting announcement of a new mainline game here.

Mobile, if it even gets original characters, will be mixed in other colors much like TMS.

Set8 is extremely likely to be focused on SecondGen for Blue and Yellow, but due to Blue already being a mishmash there's going to be a few first gens as they wanted to appeal to all the Awankening fans to call attention to the game unlike the case with Yellow which can properly focus on it's themes.

I think we actually will see more of Fates. I may have miscounted, but by my count only one retainer for each royal will get new cards in this set. And like you said, Fates brings in the ¥ like no other game in the series.

Personally I feel that a big problem with the balance of the game is that 30 support cards are strictly fliers, which causes red to get a lot of use. Was it intentional that half of everyone's deck is fliers or was it just a strategy to keep Archanea always relevant?

Edited by SalShich10N

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...