What would you change about Micaiah?

Dunal

I am currently developing a hack for RD (primarily gameplay oriented). However, given that I have the opportunity to change the game's plot/writing (not to a huge scale at all -- rewriting a few scenes in particular that many people have issue with and adding a lot of support-esque elements, particularly with base convos) there's also the potential here to change the way certain characters are portrayed. Whether it's their personality or disposition through various events that occur.

Of course, I'm not going to changing the core direction of the plot, or the main events that do happen. However, I do have the opportunity to expand the script and give certain characters some much needed love.

Micaiah seems like the most obvious choice for this (most people have criticism with the way she is portrayed and I can easily see why) and I do have some idea on how to change her. But what are other people's opinions on the matter?

My own thoughts are as followed:

• Too much plot convenience as far as Micaiah herself is concerned. Instead, there's some fertile ground here to show Micaiah's leadership qualities and the importance of good decision making. Rather than her powers dictating how events unfold.
  • Take some inspiration from Soren on how her character has likely developed over the course of her life, and mould this into her perspectives and overall personality. We do not have too much info on Micaiah's back story itself but if I were to try and fit in the gaps there, its very possible that as a Branded she's had her fair share of hardships and struggles throughout her life. Reflect this further onto her persona.
  • Taking the above into account; I can easily imagine Micaiah being a lot more reserved and possibly being rather impassive/stoic. She's not as young as she looks and likely has experienced a lot. She's caring towards those she trusts but can be quite hostile towards those she does not (and we do see glimmers of this in the original game regarding her own thoughts on Ike -- simply put, I would greatly expand on that aspect of her character). In the original game her one-note is mainly being nice/caring/good/amazing with zero of the charm that should come with it. Keeping that aspect of her is fine, but it needs to be done in a way where it doesn't just make her just seem really self-righteous or 'perfect'.
  • Make the game a lot more self-aware when she screws up. Simple as that. There's too much pandering going on towards her, to the point where it doesn't even seem like she does anything wrong, especially after part 3. She should know it, most importantly. Zero room for denial. And part of the reason why her personality needs to shift is to make this area of the plot make more sense overall.
  • Relationship with Sothe and Yune certainly has room for expansion. In the original game they had a few comic moments. Again, this is worth embracing and adding towards. Same with other characters. I can imagine Micaiah and Ike being consistently cold towards one another just on the basis of the events in part 3. She gets no sympathy from him. (Which on the topic of Ike, is definitely a character trait that should be really elaborate -- especially with the Black Knight)
  • Simply to match the story with gameplay. Micaiah's no longer a support unit (relatively) and can use both Light (Order) and Dark (Chaos) magic. Which can be symbolic to her character.

Simply put, I would imagine her to be a less... brusque Soren. They're similar characters in terms of their experiences with the main distinction between the two is that Soren is under the command of the one person he truly cares for and was basically 'rescued' by them. While Micaiah is the opposite -- she was the one to ultimately care for Sothe and/or others. As well as having leadership. The parallel between the two may make room for some interesting exchanges.

Making this topic because it's very likely what I'm going to be changing the most. For any enthusiasts on this kind of subject, give me your thoughts. I know some people do like her current character and wouldn't want much to change, if at all. However, the general consensus is that she's a very weak character overall and if you would like to speak up on why certain aspects shouldn't change or should change, then you are free to argue that.

I find Micaiah a very good character overall. The only flaws in her character, I would say, are all of her actions in Part 3 being motivated by genocide paper and anything that has to do with Part 4, and Part 4 is very badly written in general. She's much more of an interesting character than any of the generic fan favorites like Lyn, i'd say.

How about you let Yune not possess her upon Ashera's revival? Also, if you can show her showing regret for her actions (especially oil on a canyon floor), that would be great.

The interesting thing about Micaiah's actions in part 3 is that while there was zero context for what appears to be a perfect/loving/morally-good individual to do what she did (and also to have no regret) what you could do instead, is to spin it in another direction and further develop that aspect about her character to the point where it actually makes some sense. She isn't evil, but could well be written to have almost non-existent care for any people outside of Daein (at this stage). From her standpoint, other nations came and destroyed Daein from the inside-out. She could try to convince herself that it's justice, despite the actual scenario that she's in. There's also a point to be made about that whole scenario in itself. Perhaps Micaiah has actually been lied to. Perhaps Pelleas to too afraid to confess his stupidity. Micaiah's own self-righteousness could be her main flaw, and other characters can rightfully call her out on it. Especially Ike.

Perhaps she still tries to justify herself even after finding out the truth? Not successfully, of course. But that could just be part of her character. However, the goal is to make her a good/likeable protagonist (but being well written is the important part), so it may not be the best direction to take. There are multiple options here.

As for Yune... Expanding the script should certainly help this issue. Yune does need to possess Micaiah in order to have screen time herself.

I find Micaiah a very good character overall. The only flaws in her character, I would say, are all of her actions in Part 3 being motivated by genocide paper and anything that has to do with Part 4, and Part 4 is very badly written in general. She's much more of an interesting character than any of the generic fan favorites like Lyn, i'd say.

The main problem people have with Micaiah is that she has no flaws aside from a forced one. There's a certain term for it, but everyone's heard it countless times, I imagine.

The game tries to portray her as perfect/amazing (which doesn't necessarily make her interesting) and her powers are too convenient for the sake of progressing the plot. It's no where as near as bad as Corrin, but it's a similar case.

Edited by DLuna

Micaiah is secretive, often deceitful, capable of extreme ruthlessness, chooses loyalty over morality repeatedly, and even then while planning to abandon everyone in the end. Which makes sense considering that her profession before the Dawn Brigade used to be being a conwoman (sorry, fortuneteller. Same diff). She gets called out for her flaws more noticeably by Sothe and by Tibarn.

Less possession and more screen time in parts 3&4 would certainly be an improvement.

The main problem people have with Micaiah is that she has no flaws aside from a forced one. There's a certain term for it, but everyone's heard it countless times, I imagine.

The game tries to portray her as perfect/amazing (which doesn't necessarily make her interesting) and her powers are too convenient for the sake of progressing the plot. It's no where as near as bad as Corrin, but it's a similar case.

I think Micaiah is flawed in the games. It just isn't presented well.

Anyway, for my suggestions...

- Micaiah's love for Daein is pretty extreme, but the game does not go much into why she feels so much love for the country (the only explanation given is that some people were nice to her when the war was going on.) Expansion into her reasons would be a massive help in understanding why she is so determined to save the country.

- More humour on her part would also be a good fix. The one time she uses humour in the game is great- her humour is rather sarcastic and would be both fun to write and read.

- Not exactly to do with Micaiah but Sothe needs more stuff to do besides being Micky's shadow.

- More screen time in part 4.

- I would also recommend you be careful if you want to try a colder Micky. A colder Micaiah would look an awful lot like Stefan in personality and it is suggested in the canon game that she had a much nicer life than say Soren or Stefan have had. So, her being too cold wouldn't make a lot of sense unless if you want to ignore what little is known on her background.

Maybe if you tried to make her a bit more of a realist? Instead of being unsure of what others would think of her being Branded, have her be well aware of how she'd be treated. Instead of being upset and unknowing of how the laguz were being treated at the end of the Daein Liberation war, have her understand that them leaving was a necessary move to ensure their safety.

Basically, I would suggest you have her be a bit more aware of the cruelty of the world. She can still be kind but it would be interesting to see Micky be a bit slower to trust rather than outright cold to those she doesn't know. She needs to have some charisma to her in order to rally an army behind her.

- Scrap her foresight but keep her Sacrifice healing ability and ability to hear Yune speak. Her foresight has next to no reason to be in the canon plot other than to be something which makes Micky seem 'perfect'. This nerf would make her seem much more human.

- I would also like to see a bit more questioning of Pelleas on Micky's behalf. Her blind faith is a bit dull to witness.

Edited by NJ7009

Or amplificate her denial in Part 3 to the point where she even gets a bit unstable on her dialog, constantly reassururing herself that everything's gonna be fine once everyone else is on fire. Or, as some suggested, make her see those outside Daein as monsters. You could even remove some of her "goodnes" by making her, let's say, less non-racists against laguz, since not unlike Soren she's bound to hold a grudge.

Regarding humor, yeah - her line in the desert temple is her best one in the game.

I feel like what she needed was more time devoted to her loyalty over morality flaw. And not getting shoved aside in Part IV. Perhaps make Yune manifest as a separate being and allow Micaiah to join in the conversations.

Also, Micaiah didn't know about the Blood Pact until around 3-12 iirc. So she was motivated by loyalty to Pelleas, and belief that Pelleas had the right judgement in sending them to fight laguz.

The biggest Issues about Micaiah are mostly how easy is to misconcept her ideals and character for her design be basically a subverted Mary Sue (has the basic physical traits but the plot traits are mixed bag... she is good but not more good than Ike; she is strategical capable, but a worse Strategist than Soren; she has plot device powers, but in the end of the game actually helped more Ike than she; she is loved for her people after winning the Civil War, but the love never equals Ike's for obvious reasons... In fact, this game increase it; etc.) , but without the proper time to explain her character... and be used mostly as a plot device Weapon in the last Par; with Ike and Yune (And in a minor extent, Black Knight and Sephiran) as the Plot Focus.

Edited by Troykv

She does not develop as a character. She does not experience anything resembling growth. She already knows her actions in part 3 are bad, but does them anyway because my country is right and bound by a magic parchment of doom. Micaiah doesnt get to grow like Naesala, Elincia, and Skrimir. Yet shes the main protagonist! Yune hijacking her really does hurt whatever growth she could have had in part 4. There was so much potential there after the Daein arc because of the kind of responsibility that was thrust upon her by Pelleas. We only get a little look in how she felt about all of that. But it doesnt impact her character at all really. In Part 4, when she can speak as herself, shes still pretty much the same person as in part 1. Thats lazy af. Come on.

Removing Yune's possession of Micaiah would solve some issues, definitely. And adding some dialogue between Micaiah and Naesala. I MEAN COME ON THESE TWO PEOPLE HAVE TO DEAL WITH A SIMILAR THREAT UPON THEIR LAND AND YET THEY DONT TALK ABOUT IT? REALLY? Naesala acknowledges that he has to pay the fucking piper (Tibarn) eventually for his actions during the wars, all because he tried to keep a blood pact secret. Everyone knows by now why Daein was forced into shit. Naesala and Micaiah having a word about consequences would have been pretty goddamn cool and needed. *snarls* Also, why is Sanaki, little miss bamf at 13 years old, going around looking at Micaiah as if she's done everything right? Hell naw! Sanaki faced the brunt of Micaiah's actions in part 3. There should be words about that shit. Who cares about "everyone is stone now and we gotta focus on the goal and not talk." fuck that. The whole point of putting major characters together like that is to ADDRESS ISSUES amongst them that have been unresolved. No, instead we get Sanaki simply pondering why Micaiah can sing the Galdr of Release. This is a valid question but not the only one that should be asked. Holy crap. (one thing Sothe says is correct: "So are we just supposed to be play nice now and forget about everything?" yeah really mate.)

Thats really whats wrong among other things that others here already mentioned. Talking more about her loyalty. We do get that she loves Daein and why, but like...yeah. Also, the revelation about her heritage happened in a asspullish and flimsy way.

Keep her as the main character. Don't let Ike steal her spotlight. xD Speaking of him, he needs more witty banter to spice up that dead-dull persona of his.

But in all seriousness, this is an excellent idea. RD had so much potential to be a gem, but it was ruined by shoddy writing and odd gameplay quirks. But yes, more screen time for Miccy. Maybe people will stop calling her Fail-caiah.

Removing Yune's possesion also has the problem of, well, removing Yune's possesion. Her banter with Ike is totally worth Micahia's screentime.

I guiess you could have Slothe literally slap some sense into Micahia at the post-battle cutscene after her firemage-wannabe fiasco.

Adding the back stories of the Dawn Brigade into the actual game itself (as opposed to being relegated to supplementary material) would be nice. I'd like Micaiah a hell of a lot more if I knew more about her fortune teller days, for example.

• 2 weeks later...

No Yune possession for her to get more screen time in part 4 for perhaps some redemption for her actions and stuborness in part 3. Some more dialogue with Naesala and Sanaki would be nice as well as more character depth to her actions at part 3. If Micaiah wasn't built up to be the zero evil/kind/benevolent/selfless type of person, I say her actions on part 3 could have made sense on a writing point of view.

Less Heron power nonsense. Attribute some of the reason she is the leader of the Dawn Brigade because she is actually a competent tactician and not because "OMG Heron powers that can literally do pretty much anything that the game dictates except for when they can't." And using the "chaos" as an excuse for why her powers don't work is ridiculous, because the heron powers still work perfectly fine amidst the war. It's like the other characters suddenly don't have this problem, but Micaiah does. It's pretty obnoxious.

She doesn't necessarily have to take inspiration from Soren, as I feel that Micaiah is far less aloof. She seems more apt to actually talk and enjoy the conversations as opposed to Soren that's rather shadowy.

I actually don't really think that's there's much pandering going on to her in Part 3. Part 3 seems to shit on Micaiah's team more than it does anyone else. If anything, I think you should have her be more openly dissatisfied with Pelleas' orders rather than it only being limited to a base conversation. As there isn't enough cross talking between teams for it to even matter, and by Part 4, it's too late.

I'd honestly have less Yune possession going on in Part 4. Micaiah seriously barely has any lines, and I think Sanaki and Micaiah should have more moments together instead when they are together. And I do agree that Micaiah should still not like Ike.

• 3 weeks later...

You know, I always thought that the relevance of Ludeveck and the confrontation between him and Elincia would be better if Ludeveck:

- Was a woman.

- Had been Ashnard's secret lover, or at least a fan of his meritochrastic ideals.

- Acted as a double agent for Daein back in PoR, easing the infiltration of Daein forces into Crimea to attack the capital.

You know, I always thought that the relevance of Ludeveck and the confrontation between him and Elincia would be better if Ludeveck:

- Was a woman.

- Had been Ashnard's secret lover, or at least a fan of his meritochrastic ideals.

- Acted as a double agent for Daein back in PoR, easing the infiltration of Daein forces into Crimea to attack the capital.

lol what? That's so... Scandalous. I love it. And it kind of makes Part 2 more relevant.

• 1 month later...

The biggest issue that I had with Micaiah is that her backstory is hardly touched upon compared to Ike's while hers is supposed to be more interesting. She was supposed to be the next apostle but we don't know anything about her parents, how old she was when that happened, how she survived, how she wound up in Daein, or how much of her past that she remembers.

Edited by fangpoint333