The Golden Age. Act 1: Discoveries.

riariadne

"Mmm... That's a fair point. But still... Where's the best place to find cliffs overlooking the ocean? Wait, no. That couldn't be now. Not enough has happened..." She trailed off mumbling to herself, glancing over the map a second time before shaking her head. "Stopping by Madragil on our way to the Lake wouldn't be the worst idea. It would allow us to change direction if needed and still move us in that direction I suppose."

Edited by scorri

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hmm, interesting. Madrigal could work nicely, though... I wonder how many other people would think the same. The markets in Veiro and Fordright would offer more to anyone who had something they were looking to sell. I wonder if anyone would be audacious enough to try that with a Gift? It's true that Madrigal is closer to here than any other major city, and the river runs right through it, too. On the other haaaaand, people returning from the mountains would be more interested in either Vespen or Fordright." Velvet paused to think about some of the other options as well. "Were we to go to, say, Jotun or Veiro, it would likely be to hear information rather than the hopes of seeing anyone with a gift themselves. As for Lake Hart, well, I admit that one was a bit far fetched... even though there are stories of an ancient treasure hidden near the lake, that could be anything, not just a gift, and who knows if it's even true? If it's not, then it's super isolated, and we would be no closer to finding what truly matters. I think going there first would be a big leap of faith." She looked at Kaya at her mention of cliffs. "Wouldn't that be Koerm with cliffs high above the ocean? Perhaps southern Balor or Rathuum, but those are quite far."

Velvet started to comb more carefully over the map. "Well, time is of importance, of course, isn't it? The forest terrain made it take much longer than a distance of here to Vespen would usually take... six days ago, right, was the meeting? Ulysses and I weren't there from the start, of course, but hearing of it was why we went here. I think that if we traveled at a good pace, we could make it to Madrigal or Vespen in three days. Avoiding the woods, I would guess about a week to reach Fordright or Jotun using an optimal route, maybe a day longer for Jotun. If were to visit Veiro, the boats are much faster than walking. It's only three days from Fordright to Veiro or back, so I've heard. Or we could get on a boat even before reaching Fordright and shave off maybe a day there. So I would estimate nine days if we wanted to reach Veiro as fast as possible. If were to visit anywhere else, I think we would have to stop at one of Madrigal, Vespen, or Fordright. Walking any further than that as a group would be foolishness, so we could rent a wagon of some sorts. Even so, reaching somewhere like Lake Hart would take at least two weeks, and I would estimate sixteen days for Grunan."

"So, that leaves it a matter of priorities. We could go to close cities in hopes of immediate information. But if we wanted to get the most out of one visiting one place as possible, it would likely be Veiro, Fordright, and Madrigal, in that order, though that's also in reverse order of distance. Another benefit of close places is that we could directly encounter other explorers instead of dealing with rumors, but that's not necessarily the case, and they might not even have good news. Alternatively we could go very far off, to somewhere like Grunan or Lake Hart... maybe even Shakruln, in hopes of gleaning wisdom from more remote people. It depends on our objective. Speed, thoroughness, or variety... that sort of thing. Or maaaaaybe I'm overthinking it, and Madrigal is closest, so it would be just better. I doubt there's anywhere we could go that would provide instant satisfaction to all of our questions, so it's a matter of picking where we think is best!"

"With someone like you worryin' about 'em, it'll work," Kolmar said, resisting the urge to clap Mikhalia on the shoulder.  "Bein' there helps, but they gotta do the work to find their happiness.  Telmara's the trickier of the two, since she's too buys hidin' herself.  If you can get past that shell of hers, you'd do wonders for her.  Kaya's a lot easier - all she needs is some nudgin'."  Much as Kolmar wanted to talk about anything other than two other women, he wasn't quite sure of how to approach Mikhalia.  Sure, she fought with that glowing mask of hers, but even HE know that pointing that out would be rather. . .rude.

Raz brought a finger to her lip as Kaya mumbled of a cliff, prefacing a sheepish smile. I see that's a point we'll get to. She's been seeing pretty far, huh? I wonder how far these visions go. "I see, Fordright might be a good idea. It wouldn't hurt to ger to Madrigal first, in my opinion. From there, we can follow the river." Honestly, Titan wasn't a very big place, if they could keep a graceful speed, they could even make loops around the continent feasible. Maybe investing on a wagon wouldn't be so bad... "If we get any information on Lake Hart by the time we reach Madrigal, we turn and go for the lake instead, otherwise, Fordright. As for markets... I doubt anyone in their right mind would just sell a gift. Not in the open, for sure." Raz snapped her fingers, standing up. "Unless you really think Hart is the right choice, Kaya, I feel like this would be more efficient." 

"Koerm, maybe... It doesn't matter. Even if we could find the right spot, it likely wouldn't matter." But wait. Raz has the Crusader's Calling now. But she wasn't part of the group I saw... Does that mean she gives it up eventually? Unless she was the cloaked figure. Or I'm wrong about why I saw seven of us up there... Hmm, maybe I should ask Velvet more about the Gift she knew of. And just the Gifts in general... She blinked, realizing she'd lost herself in thought and Raz had just asked her a question. "Uh, that seems reasonable. Lake Hart stuck out at me but it wasn't a vision or anything, just my mind finding it interesting I guess. So long as we're not headed to Jotun, I'll be fine with wherever we think makes the most sense." I have little interest in returning home. Best to stay as far away from there as possible. "Was there anything else you needed Velvet? I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. I hadn't thought much about where we were heading after this."

A continuation of Velvet and Kaya's conversation from when Velvet first joined

"Ah so you have heard of the Order. That's rare enough. And dark magic... Yes. That's how my visions are powered. Though I myself did not know that until a few days ago. I was informed of this by someone with... similar powers I guess. She-- ah!"

Kaya took an involuntary step back as Velvet poked at her chest. Blushing very slightly, she coughed and continued. "Ah, erm, right. Yes, that's the Fire Emblem. The Greatforger is on my leg under my right boot." Holding up her arms, she continued, "These are the Talon and Crusader's Calling. Around my waist is the Horn." Brushing her bangs out of the way, she displayed a sixth tattoo. "This is Quento's Grace. And on my back..." She twisted slightly, pulling her long hair out of the way, "Is the Lazarus Gem. As I said, it wasn't exactly a dream I had. I was awake... And then I fainted as the vision took hold of me. But I agree. It was strange that I should have a vision of you and then run into you shortly after. I can only believe that it was fate."

She frowned at the last question and shook her head. "I do not know if it will be a Gift at all. If it is, I have no idea which. I hope it's the Emblem. That's the whole reason I'm out here seeking. I must find the Emblem... But I was told that what I seek may not be what I find by the same person who told me more about how my visions work. She is not always correct but she seemed certain this time."

"Well, I've been traveling around the continent for a while now. And someone like me finds out their fair deal of secrets, though I won't reveal my sources too easily. Though... your similar-powered acquaintance seems very... familiar." Velvet's ears twitched at the statement as she smirked at Kaya's reaction. "How interesting. Magic seems to be around us in so many ways. Grunan's strange spell affecting those there, artifacts, tomes, visions, and now your tattoos too."

She contemplated the dragon priestess's explanation. "Well... it would be hard to say it's a coincidence when there's nobody like me. It is unfortunate if you won't find the Emblem so quickly, though. That would just be too easy, wouldn't it? Hopefully it can be like that, but if your prophet friend isn't so sure, then it's probably not very likely."

"Nothing in this life can be easy, can it?" Kaya sighed, and gave a quiet laugh. "No, what would be the point of that? Ah well. Still, life is more interesting that way I suppose. After all, if everything that you wanted to happen just happened, what sort of world would that be? And what if what you wanted directly conflicted with what someone else wanted? No, in the end it seems that the way the world is now is better."

She shook her head and then turned the conversation back to powers. "So, my acquaintance seems familiar, does she? I don't suppose you could tell me more about why she seems familiar?" She grinned, clearly trying to play a bit of a game and get the cat to reveal her information before Kaya did.

"Maybe so. I wonder what it would be like to be so powerful as to enforce whatever your will is. What did the Elder Dragons think when they sculpted this world and gave us these gifts? I suppose if we were to ever find the scroll that summons Quento, we could ask her... you're a spellcaster, after all." Velvet's tail swayed back and forth, before she shrugged. "But it doesn't really matter! We will just have to find these gifts and the Emblem so your vision comes true."

Her expression turned to confusion at Kaya's question. "Why are you playing around? It's Shylah, right? A woman with prophetic power and knowledge of dark magic... there aren't very many people who fit that sort of description. I met her a few years ago. She's very peculiar, but with the way she dedicates herself to the things she researches, I'd guess she's probably right. So that narrows it down to... four gifts it could be, right?"

Kaya blinked and then nodded. Huh, no sense of that sort of thing. Interesting. I'll need to remember that she was a cat first and human second. She's going to have different habits and ways of interacting. "Sorry. Force of habit I guess. Sharing secrets has bitten me before, and I've learned to be careful with the information I give out because of it. In some ways at least. I mean, I shared with you about my powers but the only reason I did that is because the group knows about them already and I wanted you to travel with us. And the only reason they know about my powers is because I accidentally gave a fireworks display during a battle and uh... ruined the clothes that were covering my tattoos."

She hesitated and then continued on. "Plus, it's not exactly... Shylah isn't exactly someone I feel like I should be talking about a lot. She helped me a lot and seemed to think we would meet again, but I guess I still worry that it isn't something I should bring up often. The only reason I mentioned it at all was because you knowing about visions being from dark magic. So yeah."

She trailed off, the last sentence Velvet said causing some confusion. "Only four gifts? I'm not sure... The only ones I know for sure it most likely isn't are the Emblem and the Greatforger. The Emblem because of what Shylah said and the Greatforger because, well, someone in our group has it. Again, not really my secret to be sharing, but since everyone in our group already knows and you're likely to see it used if you travel with us, better I warn you ahead of time I suppose. So what's the third it couldn't be?"

"I see. It's not that I don't keep secrets too, but... I think knowing when to give up on them is important too," Velvet elaborated. "I mean, how many other prophets do you know of? Toying around with what we might or might not know doesn't seem very productive to me." The clothes story seemed to amuse her a bit. "What, they got ruined completely? And you don't have them at all anymore? You should be more careful with your remaining clothes, then... I suppose I could lend you my cloak if that became necessary, but I'd rather not. It's very cozy."

"Well, it can't be the Horn! I've heard it before in the Grunan region, though only twice," she stated matter-of-factly. A lot of the locals there have, though I won't say who has it. That would be a bit discourteous to the owner, I think, unless the time comes that it's obvious we should meet him. The way it sounds... it echoed across the the valleys and open fields around for what must have been miles. I can't even describe it properly. Words can't tell you what a sound so distinctive is like, but it truly is chilling to hear. Maybe you can visit there some day. In a place like Grunan, hearing the Horn of the Dragons is an experience like no other. The other two, well, those were more obvious. I saw the way the Greatforger was used with that green glow when we were sneaking nearby. And if Shylah said it's not the Emblem, then yes, she's probably right."

"Wait, you know where the Horn is? That's... Wow. I didn't realize any of the gifts had a known location. Well, I won't press for any more information there, but it's good to know. I see no reason why we should pursue the Horn this instant, but if there's ever a point where we need it, we have a head start!"

She smiled at the cat, and idly beat out a rhythm on the top of the small staff at her side. "Hmm, well. I suppose there's no knowing which of the other four it could be then. Still, I suppose it's a good start. Now then. Are there any more questions you had for me? Anything I can do to help you as you join the group?"

"You haven't heard? Well, perhaps it's only well known in Grunan. Kair Valley... it is the area most densely occupied by demihumans on all of Titan. A lush valley with trees and near a clean river, nestled between the southern mountains. Even without the attraction of the Horn, it's a very nice place."

Velvet returned the smile, her tail twitching. "Well, we have to start somewhere! Still, prophecy or not, I'm glad we met each other. I didn't think I'd exactly have trouble finding people eventually, but you're all very receptive. I suppose fate must have something good in mind for us all for this fortunate meeting!" She paced back and forth a bit, brushing one of her hands through her hair for a moment before speaking again, "Well, I don't have anything else important to ask, but it's always nice to chat anyway, hmm? Were you always in the Order? I'll admit that while I know of it, my knowledge of anything else regarding it is very limited."

"The Order? Ah, no. I joined when I was around nine..." Kaya frowned, memories surfacing that she had been pushing down for years. Glancing at the others around her, she gestured for Velvet to follow her and moved a bit away from the group. Once mostly out of earshot, she sat down with a small sigh.

"I talked about this some around the others, but I don't think they really... cared. Or wanted to hear about it. They all have their issues after all. But... Before I joined the Order, I was the oldest child of the Duke of Fernait. Long story short, he had my mother killed secretly because he wanted to marry an attractive young daughter of a merchant he had promoted to nobility. And... I saw it coming. I just didn't realize what I was seeing. I was too young to understand that some of my dreams were real. And then I saw that his wife was going to have a child and he remembered my dream about him getting rid of my mom and..."

She trailed off, drawing lines in the ground for a few seconds before continuing, "So much for short... But anyways, somehow the Order found out about my powers. Though originally my father was apparently just looking for anywhere to send me. So I joined them when I was nine. Before then I was training to take my father's place some day. Now I suppose my brother will take that place."

She forced out a small laugh. "I'm sorry. You were just asking about the Order and there I went off on a complete tangent. The Order is interesting. Lots of studying. The location I was in was small but apparently they have at least one village in every province. A simple life but not like the stories you hear of monks and all that. There are married people there, we have good food though we do raise most of it ourselves. You can study different forms of combat there. They taught me how to heal as well as a mix of unarmed and armed combat. I took to daggers and other similar small bladed weapons. They're easier to hide and I can use one hand to fight with them and still have my staff. Oh and lots of studying about the Dragons though I suppose that's obvious. That's... probably more than you wanted to know, but there you go."

Velvet followed along as instructed, sitting on the ground near Kay and stretching a bit as the prophet told her tale. "I see. That situation seems complicated. For the Duke of Fernait to do something like that... how suspicious. I don't think the other Dukes would be pleased to hear of such things happening with him. Do you know any of them? Duke Mazzarin was appointed well after the time you'd have left, but I met him once... I've met lots of famous people, but almost all only once, and always somewhere quiet. I'm fortunate that there aren't a lot of rumors about me as it is. Him, the two Magi I mentioned, Commander Thalia, the bow master Tyranos, and even Lady Sierra."

"Mostly what I've learned along the way is that everyone has their own surprises with who they really are... well, not Tyranos." The demicat laughed at the thought. "He's exactly how they say! He seemed annoyed at me more than surprised, since he wanted to get back to his practice instead of deal with a nosy cat! I've never seen anyone so single-minded, but it pays off, I suppose. Sierra was the nicest, probably because she loves animals a lot. She has her own kitten, Rosie, too- did you know I can still talk to animals? Not a common demihuman power, but not something I lost upon my own transformation. She's a good owner. Most house pets really like being owned if they have a nice owner. Well... anyway. I suppose I was talking about a lot of unrelated things myself, wasn't I? Your Order... it's interesting too. I would've thought for such a hidden group, they'd be very strict. Maybe I overuse the word interesting, but there's always so much to learn about different things, so it's true!"

Kaya blinked at the flood of information. Velvet certainly wasn't shy about talking. "Uhm, no, I haven't met any of the current Dukes or at least not that I remember. If I did it was when I was too young. I don't think it's wrong to use the word interesting as much as you did. You've certainly met people that deserve that title. The Order... It has varying levels of strictness I suppose. Normally the restrictions on me are more than on others because of my position. They couldn't risk me going out and having something happen to me. They needed my dreams. But now..."

She trailed off, staring off into the distance and gave her head a small shake. "They didn't want me to leave at first. They didn't think I was ready. But I'm the only one who can do it. They're my dreams, my visions. If anyone is going to be able to follow them and find the emblem, it has to be me. So here I am. And I can do it. I know I can."

"Ah... the hesitant but necessary sort of sendoff, then? I understand." Velvet pat Kaya on the shoulder when the priestess shook her head. "Hey, you're already doing a good job of collecting gifts! If we're lucky enough to find one in the forest, that's two in this group- which makes two more than most anyone else in the world! And even if it isn't the Emblem, surely the Gifts can be helpful in locating others with their unique powers."

The demicat leaned back to the ground after her brief comforting gesture, waving her hands through the air. "When you do find the Fire Emblem, and with your prophetic powers so strong, I trust you will... what are you going to do with it? Are you going to bring it back to your Order, to defend it? Or will you try and use the mysterious powers it has for something else?"

"You know? I haven't really thought that far ahead. I'm sure the Order would want me to bring it back, but I can't deny there's a part of me that would love to use it. I suppose it will depend. I can only see bits of the future. I don't know what the circumstances surrounding us finding it will be. But I know that I will find it. I have to. That's all there is to it." Standing up, Kaya stretched, her tattoos glinting in the sunlight coming through the trees. "That was an interesting talk. We'll have to do it again some time, but for now I think it's best we start moving on." She smiled at the demicat, before heading back towards the rest of the group, determined to move onward and find the Gift that lay in their path ahead.

"Well, thank you for the pep talk, Kolmar. I shouldn't keep you, I'm sure that you've things to do... and I'd much rather it not come to that, Aaron." Mikhaila replied, turning her head to the new arrival, finally noticing him.

"If nothing else, it would do little good to have our fighting strength culled, even those who aren't fond of her can't deny that. But more than that, I feel like if we give up on her, it will only set her back further on trying to re-integrate with people."

"Madrigal it is, and from there, we gather information and decide our next step better --Fordright if we find little." Raz snapped her fingers, content with their decision, and relaxed herself, sat on the ground. She leaned back, looking expectantly at Velvet. "So yeah, we should tell the others, right?" It'd be rude to ask her to leave, but Raz had a mind to continue her conversation one on one.

"Very well, I think that's a sensible decision as well. I'm glad we've reached a nice concluuusion together." Velvet put her map away, nodding at the other pair's conclusion. "No, other than that, I don't think I have anything that must be added. I just thought it important we know which way we're headed as soon as we leave the forest, especially since there's enough daylight to spare that we can make plenty of headway. If I think of anything else, I'll be sure to let you know, but if not I'll lead the way out when we're all ready."