The Golden Age. Act 1: Discoveries.

riariadne

"Interesting, indeed. Name's Kolmar Whitman. You mentioned 'we'. I assume you've found others to join you?" He resisted the urge to add "Your Highness". Even if this guy was as nutty as the fruit cake he'd eaten earlier, Kolmar wasn't lying about Lionheart. If His Highness dies, I should be able to get a good price on it. If he doesn't, then I have another meatshield, should things go badly.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joviana silently nodded to everything that Clint said, having nothing to add to the conversation. Saying a farewell to Clint, Joviana decided to walk through the crowds, trying to listen to conversations to gauge the capabilities of people present, and to perhaps learn new information abut the treasure, if someone knew. Much of the chatter was useless, though. Most of them were as clueless as she was about the treasure, although, if the treasure was one of the Seven Gifts, then she would understand the nature behind such a treasure, giving her a natural head start. Only an amusing conversation between two people caught her attention as she walked passed them.

"This is the Lionheart - King Peregrine's weapon of choice. It was lost for over a hundred years, but now has found it's way to me."

Joviana did not look back at the man wielding the axe, not wanting to draw attention to herself. What was this child thinking? How could a silly, fancy weapon lead him to greatness? Not to mention that there was no proof that it was the real one. He seemed like a poor partner, however, the other man that he was talking to, garnered Joviana's interest.

" I'm the one that's worked with people you'd never dream of associating with, and one of the few that left that business alive, and willingly. The services I offer aren't what the vast majority of the travelers here would think of requesting. But if you need to get someone out of jail, or slip someone or something past the guards, you need my knowledge."

If he has seen the kind of life that I've seen, then maybe he's more reliable. Besides...a person slipping someone out of jail is definitely the kind of person that I'd like to have with me. She stood in place while acting like she was scanning the area for possible team mates. She ignored most of what the man who wielded the ' Lionheart', who introduced himself as Aaron Lawson, said. He was too delusional to listen to.

Edited by Magnificence Incarnate

"I'll leave it to you then, if you feel she'll be fine, then we can leave her be. If you'd rather follow, that is also fine." Mikhaila replied, honestly just glad she had finally found a group to travel with, allowing herself to relax a little bit.

"Hmm, well, it can't hurt to follow her. The crowd is small enough at this point that splitting up will only help so much. Unless you'd rather I introduce you to Aaron?" Kaya wasn't overly concerned either way but figured that the other girl might have some strong opinion about meeting other members of the group.

Tense

"Difficult, huh..." At least I can sympathize with that much. Not that I know why it would be hard for you to find someone to group up with, considering you look like a fairly competent fighter... Maybe he was a day dreamer, or had some other issues that he just wasn't willing to mention at first glance. "I can't imagine I look very interesting... The girl here, sure. But I'm just a simple mage." You're going to choke on your lies one day. "But I guesssss..." and is that seriously going to be a thing, tongue? Ugh... "If you want to ask the... 'interesting' women some questions, I won't stop you..." She fidgeted for a moment, sliding her tome back into her robes. "But... I won't answer everything."

Was she being too defensive? Probably. Or, maybe not. Itzal's reasoning was far too basic for her to try and read into; she couldn't get a grasp on if he had any other ulterior motives for approaching them. No one else had come up with him, so it didn't seem like he was working with a group yet, so he wasn't lying, so far. She glanced around quickly, just a check to see if anyone else had noticed her and Naylen. She didn't catch anyone, but the crowds were large. She couldn't be sure. "Aright, Itzal... I'm..." you're going to give that up, right now? Just like that? He's a human, you know... This could make things bad... "I'm Telmara." Against her better judgement, she shared her name. "What would you like to ask?"

"It would probably be best to meet this Aaron, now that you bring it up. Things seem to have calmed... for the most part. Lead the way." Mikhaila replied, deciding that it was a good idea to meet the last member she had not yet been introduced to.

Kaya smiled and nodded. "Right then, I last saw him heading over that way, so lets go that way." She lead Miki through the crowd, before spotting Aaron standing next to a mustached man. "Ah, there he is!" Reaching the pair, she gestured to Miki. "Aaron, this is Mikhalia. She's a sword fighter and will be joining us. Mikhalia, this is Aaron. As you can tell, he's an axe fighter. Who's your friend, Aaron?"

Following along after Kaya for a short time, the pair came across a haughty-looking fellow wielding an ornate axe, as well as a markedly more... normal, at least appearance wise, man. Based on Kaya's own descriptions, that meant the axe-fighter was their confirmed comrade, and this other man, either an adventurer or a sell-sword, was a prospective addition at the moment... unless Aaron had sealed the deal either way before their arrival.

"Good to meet you, as Kaya said, my name is Mikhaila."

Aaron was about to confirm Kolmar's statement, but with Kaya's arrival it looked like she was answering the question for him. "I see." His eyes lingered over Mikhaila's odd mask for a moment, still not somewhat wary of them, before speaking again. "This is Kolmar. I'll... allow him to introduce himself." Perhaps this was a bad idea, considering the man didn't seem like the type to mince words, but the axeman figured that it was important for Kaya to understand exactly what kind of a person Kolmar was.

At this point, the crowd began to dwindle somewhat. Many had acclimated themselves to a group to set off, while others had second thoughts after checking the crowds. About a hundred remained- close to a quarter of the original number of adventurers.

But it was still crowded enough that careless navigating could be an issue. As was the case when a small mage covered in robes tripped on hers, bumping into another mage- this one being Telmara. She tumbled to the ground, dropping a staff and a few tomes. "Sorry, I'm sorry! My head was, ah..." she began, before noticing Telmara's tail. Though she didn't comment on it, her eyes clearly widened. "I'm Aria. I'm such a klutz... I'll just go if you want. Sorry."

Though she seemed rather meek and honest about the situation, some others were less considerate. Muttering started up immediately, and one woman shouted "Grunan's the other way, freak!" Aria seemed to shrink even more beneath her robes at the commotion.

Naylen found herself nodding in agreement with what Itzal had said about it being difficult to find a group. And now that he had given his reason for approaching them she could kind of see where he was coming from; she probably stuck out like a sore thumb with her black armor and red cape, not to mention her "gauntlets". But that didn't mean she was giving him a free pass, there was no way to verify anything he'd said was more than a ruse to get them to lower her guard. "So long as you don't as you don't ask anything... weird, I suppose I can answer some questions, I guess." She didn't particularly like the thought of giving out information but refusing probably would've stood out more. Same deal with giving out names, but Telmara had already done it. "And I'm Naylen."

Normally, it would have ended there as they waited for Itzal to ask his questions but, of course, nothing could go that smooth. Despite the crowd beginning to thin, someone, a girl named Aria, had managed to bump into Telmara and reveal that her lower half was that of a snake. Even Naylen was surprised by the reveal, never having seen a demihuman with such a major mutation, and she herself had claws and a tail! And of course with the reveal came the muttering and the comments. She had expected it, but it still infuriated her. "Who said that?" Naylen snapped. "Who are you to tell her what to do? So what if she has the body of a snake. She may look different, but she's still a person! The same could be said for anyone else here!"

Kolmar's eyes narrowed. "Name's Kolmar. More will have to wait." He turned his gaze towards Aria. "You. Don't move from that spot." He then turned back to the woman whose exposed lower half definitely wasn't human. "Check your pockets, now. Leave the idiots who can't keep their mouths shut to me." Lastly, he faced the general populace, and glared at them. "Something slightly different weirds you out? By all means, speak up. You'll be the first to run when a monster shows up. Please, show me how limp you are, while I have a chance to kick you to the fucking curb." Though Kolmar's own reaction was one of internal disgust, he was far more concerned about whether or not the half-snake's belongings were intact. It would be a bad start if she lost a weapon or something equally important.

Well

That had happened quicker than expected. Some girl-- she mentioned her name as Aria --had tripped. Of course. Telmara had assumed it was going to be something more violent than that; some brute tearing her hood off, maybe an accident with another mage's fire spell. But no. An innocuous tripping girl had bumped into Telmara, knocking over the carefully coiled pile of tail she'd assembled underneath her robes. It was like a tiny tower topple over. She hadn't even realized it was happening until Naylen started to move in front of her-- or rather, she started to move behind Naylen.

She didn't have enough cloth to cover the mess as it spilled out, scarlet scales and pale beige ones underneath sprawling out around her. She'd managed to catch herself before she collided with the ground, at least her upper half, but... There was nine feet of tail, suddenly in full view of all the crowds, Naylen, Itzal, the girl that had just collided with her-- pretty much everyone. Great...

She did what she could to try and play it off, straightening herself out underneath her slithering mass, collecting the cloak that had been shaken off. She was wearing a cape underneath the cloak mess, a red one; something as close to what she used wear before that. There was no dragon pattern, alas, but that would have to wait until she-- ever --got back to Jotun. Her shirt wasn't impressive either, covering her torso enough to not have anything slipping out. It was beige, like her underscales. A bland, flat, red skirt clung itself tightly to her waist, sliding down a section of her tail. A short sword sat off a belt around that skirt, her tome still in her hand. Her golden eyes glared up at Itzal, her pointed ears twitched.

There was the first shout, a call for her to leave. She'd expected it, and she wasn't going to listen, but it still stung. Naylen was quick to her defense, spouting at whoever had made the comment. "I-It's fine, Naylen, I--" I'm used to this, but not to that... Another man had spoken up as well, seemingly to her defense. "Check my...?" She glanced at the small girl; wondering if she'd tried to swipe anything when she was bumped into. It would've been a feat to sneak a hand through both her cloak and robe and snatch something. "I don't think she... What are you...?" She shrunk a bit. What the hell is he trying to accomplish turning the crowd against him like that? They're just going to yell at him over me...

Well, that was his choice, she figured, and she'd thank him for it if nothing happened. She slid her tail around, bringing a section over to lean on as she glanced down at the girl that had bumped into her. "It's fine. This was going to happen sooner or later." Sure sucks that you pulled the rug out from under me before I could even find a group, but that's fine, I'll stick with Naylen and no one else.

"So, Itzal..." she began again, leaning against her tail, the end of it flicking gently against the ground. "Any questions?"

Kaya gasped as the demihuman was revealed, though not from fear. As others stepped up to support her, Kaya instead made her way over to the demihuman. Scales. Like a dragon maybe! Snakes are almost like dragons after all. It has to be a sign... Reaching the demihuman, Kaya stretched out a hand. "Kaya Bereen. I'm sorry that you're dealing with the ignorance of people like this. I've got to say though, you remind me of the Dragons. And how could something so similar to the divine like that be evil or bad? I don't suppose you're looking for people to pair up with, are you?"

Well... that was certainly a commotion. Two women had bumped into one another, they had both toppled over, and... out from under one of their cloaks came a writhing mass of scales. A demihuman then, though Mikhaila had never seen one quite so far gone. She herself wasn't disgusted by them as most were, they tended to be defensive and stick to themselves, and she felt no need to intrude on their business. Well, most of the time. Even were it not for the threat of the crowd forming into a throng of limbs and anger, it seemed that both Kaya and this new fellow, who had identified himself as Kolmar, were the type to step in, surprisingly to the aid of the demihuman.

That was all well and noble, but Kolmar had decided it wise to egg on the crowd. This could go South very quickly, and Mikhaila wasn't looking forward to trying to find another group after this whole fiasco. Suppose it best to simply make sure they came out of it then. Placing her hand on the hilt of her blade, she took a few steps towards Kaya, placing a hand on her shoulder.

"That's all well and good, but make it quick. We've enough of a scene already, I'd prefer this gathering not end in a violent mob." Mikhaila noted, taking precautions just in case, as the glow of her mask intensified. Looking pained for a moment, the exorcist bit back the blood and bile that welled up in her throat, as her countenance grew sharper, her uncovered eye seemed to share in the glow of her mask, though in it's own natural hazel unlike the mask's eerie violet. Her muscles tensed, seemed to grow larger within an instant, accidentally squeezing down rather hard on Kaya before catching herself. Still not used to it...

Okay, so maybe Raz hadn't started scouting in the right direction.

As she snuck into the dense crowd of adventurers, Raz quickly found that her idea was a bit late to be executed. Some already had groups, another few seemed to be uninterested in adventuring as a whole and just wanted to sell second-hand weapons and gear, and some random jerk even snickered at her, saying he'd prefer his adventuring partners with some more meat --what a rude dude!

At least, the crowd was starting to dissipate, and as it became easier to move around, Raz managed to catch the start of a commotion at the edge of her sight. Is that... Kaya? She turned to see things cleared and caught eyes with a lot of snake tail sprawled all over the floor. What.

Raz tried to dash around the crowd to get a better view from it all. Is that... demihumans? Raz had some familiarity with how demihumans worked, but she never thought, like, nine feet of tail was a thing that could happen. You learn something new every day. "Whaaa..." Raz stood agape for a second, slowly approaching from beside Kaya and Mikhaila. "Uh... is everything alright?" She figured now these demihumans were pelted with more attention than they ever could've wished for, so she kept some distance compared to the others. There seemed to be some growing discomfort with the crowd --some man even seemed to start an argument! Things might escalate around here... Well, I know a few places to hide if it comes to that.

Edited by Xinnidy

"I'm so sorry," Aria continued to mumble. She pulled up her own hood, holding a tome in front of her face and sitting in place. She felt going anywhere would just invite more trouble, a few tears dripping down her face. What did I do?

Much of the murmuring in the crowd continued. Some of it seemed genuinely curious, but some of it still consisted of belittling. The woman's jeering continued, though she didn't exactly walk out before everyone to continue it- she was mixed int he crowd a bit. "I'll say what I please! Good for nothing freak bitch and lizard lovers! Get outta here, scum, the Dragons would never let anyone like you use the gifts!"

As Joviana kept listening to the conversation between Kolmar and Aaron, she was interrupted by an unfortunate...accident. Some kid had bumped into a cloaked person, and had revealed her to be a demihuman. This drew comments from the crowd, and some of the people started arguing back, supporting the demihuman. With tensions rising, Joviana wanted no part in this conflict. Perhaps this Kolmar guy isn't smart after all. Why would he provoke the crowd like that? That last thing we need is violence right now...

Turning around, Joviana noticed another woman standing next to the demihuman, this one wearing a mask. As Kolmar continued to berate the loudmouthed woman, the glow of the mask intensified. What kind of magic is this? Perhaps I should ask her...

Slowly walking towards the masked girl, she asked, "You, with the mask. Pardon me for asking, but...why is it glowing so intensely?"

Gathering

Why couldn't I have found a group and spilled the beans after? This is such a mess... The crowd continued to murmur, as more people came up to her, this time someone telling her that she reminded the girl of the dragons, and that the divine and blah blah blah-- "Pair up with?" The 'compliments' were in one ear and out the other, but the question wasn't something to avoid, with the brouhaha growing as it was. "I was talking with... With Naylen, and his name is Itzal. But, just three people wouldn't really work out that well..." If you're considering offering then say something... The sooner we can all walk out of here, the better. Dragon girl-- Kaya --seemed to have a small group with her already, as multiple people followed after her and got close.

Then there was the girl that had crashed into her, pulling her hood up and crying. Telmara sighed, and patted her head. "It's fine, little girl. Don't mind the crowd. I'll be gone soon enough." If you want to throw your hate at me at least keep these people out of it. The woman screaming in the crowd, especially. It was getting increasingly hard for Telmara to sit there and ignore her, but she did her best to keep it up. If you want to see a real monster, then just keep pushing... I'm fine with losing my chances at a group just to shut your ignorant ass up...

Edited by Narmaya

Coward

Naylen was surprised by the number of people that had jumped to Telmara's defence, one of them trying to direct the crowd's attention towards himself and a couple of others walking over to them to give support. But not even that was enough to shut up the bullheaded woman. 'Of course it wouldn't.' In the very least Naylen wanted to see the person herself, or better yet make her shut up. "Well how about you come out here and say it to her face you damn banshee! Or are you gonna prove that you're just a coward who'll mouth off so long as you can't be held accountable for it?"

Edited by Oersted

"Well--"

As he instinctively stepped back while Telmara was nearly knocked over, he collided with two other crowd-goers who were attracted by the start of the commotion. Of course it would keep happening this way. At this point it seemed the dragons themselves desired for Itzal to just travel it alone. The impact caused him to fall backwards onto his tailbone. Stunned, he didn't notice for a few moments why the commotion was starting up in the first place.

"Scaled freak bitch!"

The man scrambled to his feet at the instant he heard the first insults. Scales? Lizards? What. What could possibly--his eyes gazed upon the trailing snake tail fully visible to the public. He knew there was some reason for the cloak, but this--this wasn't even the edge of what he had expected. He'd never seen a demihuman before in his life--he'd never even cared to talk about it when the subject came up. I mean what are even the chances it'll ever be relevant anyway, he'd say. I'm never going to see any around here. I don't really need to imagine what I'd think about them or not. He stood straight up. "Any questions?" Telmara's fearful, defensive gaze startled him again, and the inner workings of his mind... collapsed. "Shit," he replied. His tone was flat.

"Shit," he said again. "Whoa holy--fuck, Dragons of the the holy realm, Ursula's back hand!" He was shouting now. "A tail! Mother holy shit fuck haha you fucking idiot a red feet-long snake's tail! Mother you would be dying at your writing chair you bitch! Ohhh fucking shit oh shit fuck, bitch, oh fucking snake tail." He heard the woman in the crowd jiving at the demihumans to leave--he turned in her general direction. "Fuck! Shut the fuck up! I can't fucking think right now! Just shut the fuck up you black-tongued ass-behind!"

Edited by Quote

Kaya winced as Mika's hand dug into her shoulder but she still reached up and rested a reassuring hand over top the other girl's hand. "It will be ok. Do not worry." Taking a few steps forward, she offered a hand to Aria while staring out at the crowd. "Here, come stand. She is clearly not mad at you. This will be ok." The man that Telmara had introduced as Itzal seemed to be having a fit, but Kaya couldn't give him her attention right now. Standing up as tall as she could (which was nothing impressive), she called out to the crowd, "You all judge this woman, and yet you know nothing about her. You would cast her out when she is part of the Dragons' plans as much as you or I. Or do you truly believe that the Dragons would make a mistake on such a scale?"

She looked back at Telmara, and quietly said, "You and your companions are welcome to join our group if you wish. If you want to leave now to avoid this, you can do so. I will do my best to keep them occupied while you escape and we can meet up somewhere close by in a bit." Turning back to the crowd, she continued. "Your fear and hate are misguided. You should be ashamed of yourself if you would treat her or anyone like her as if they were less deserving of your kindness and love."

Aria sniffled, taking Kaya's hand when offered. She was even shorter than Kaya, hiding behind her when she made her proclamation.

Much of the crowd seemed to effectively quiet down from several of the party members shouting at them, but a blonde woman pushed through them. She wasn't tall, but she certainly looked strong, heaving around two axes as if they were weightless. "I got nothing to fear. I'm Haley, and I'm not about to back down just because you talk the talk! I've seen what you freaks can do, and I got half a mind to--"

Her voice cut off suddenly, though her mouth moved. She paused confusedly for a few moments, before a tall man in a brown cloak holding a simple staff stepped out of the crowd as well. Beneath his robe were many bandages wrapped around him, even near his face- his well-traveled nature was quite evident. "Enough of this. There's no need to bicker amongst each other. Idealogical differences or not, this is a gathering for people seeking treasure, not a shouting contest." He waved the staff again, Haley looking to retort but he cut her off immediately. "I will silence you again if you can't be reasonable. That goes for you others, as well- she was merely the loudest. Most of us here have no qualms with any other's presence, differences or not. The intolerant just tend to be vocal." The axe-wielding woman seemed to concede this point, backing off towards the crowd again, presumably to any others she was working with. The cloaked man looked towards the group of people near Telmara.

"I don't believe I've spoken with any of you. I am Varann, supreme archaeologist. I was near Mount Troy when the rumors were announced, and decided to head back to the city to gather more information. As such, I've assembled much of an adventure group already, but perhaps I could answer any questions you may have."

Kaya was soon met with a bump at her arm, Aria lightly touching it with her staff as she held on to all her equipment. "Excuse me, miss... you're with an adventure group? I'd be so grateful to come along... I'm not very strong, but I can heal and cast spells, and I really need to go with someone to try and find the treasure. I'd take only a small chip if we could find it, I just need to find money for my family..."

This is what she wanted even less than being discovered. Both sides-- how did she even have a side, really? --were beginning to rile each other up, argue, shout; a fight would certainly happen if any more toes were stepped on. Naylen wasn't helping things, despite her best intentions. "Naylen, please, it's alright, just..." Just stay quiet! Let them get their jeers in! What good does fighting back right now do you, huh!? Shut up! Shut up and let it pass!

Nothing would quiet her, or Itzal now, so taken aback by Telmara's appearance that he'd driven himself into hysterics. Great. Another one. She'd thought he found her disgusting, but after a point she couldn't tell if he was yelling at her, or himself! Maybe he was just so dumbfounded by her look that he didn't know what to say. She'd met a few of those, but none that exploded into vulgarity because of it. Interesting, I guess... I hope he's got more to say than 'fuck' once he's calmed down. But at least I can write him off of my 'people I want to talk to' list, if some scales sets him off so badly... Then again, I screamed at myself when I woke up... But I think that was a lot more justified, having lost my legs.

But of course, what was a proper riot without some preaching, yes? Preaching about the Dragons. The mystical creatures that certainly could do no wrong. Eaglus Point. There was no reason to speak up and blow down one of the few people that was arguing for her, but all this talk of the Dragons' plan was disgusting to her... "If this is part of the Dragons plan, then I bow out, respectfully." She mumbled to herself, hoping that Kaya didn't hear her, but not entirely minding if she did. At this point, things were just going far too out of order, really, so what was one more person shouting over the crowd, right?

"Listen, can we all, just... Just calm down; I can ignore this stuff, I don't mind--" or so she thought. The original instigator of this debacle, this Haley, stepped forward with axes drawn. Telmara narrowed her eyes at the barbarian woman. "If throwing down over this will shut you up, then so be--" it? Wait, what? Her mouth is still... A mage, one introducing himself as Varaan, had shut her up, seemingly for good. Telmara sighed, lowering her guard, her tense shoulders relaxing. She glared over at Haley one more time, sticking a forked tongue at her and hissing, before rolling her eyes and looking away. Fools like that are never worth the time, no matter how vindicated you feel after you win... Just spreads more rumors.

"Thank you, Varann... All I'd ask is where you think a good place to start would be, if you're up to sharing. I... Guess I'm with them, now, for better or worse." It was an... An interesting crew, that was for certain. With the crowd going back to their dealings, she got a good look at everyone hanging around. The first to defend her, a mustached man with rough black hair. He didn't seem engaging, but he'd come to her defense, so he couldn't have been awful. The woman in the mask, still looking tense, some magical glow about it... How it stayed on her face was beyond Telmara. And Dragon girl... Covered in clothes, staffs on her. A healer, or are those just for show? Perhaps they'd be able to talk, if this Kaya managed to quiet her fanaticism for the amazing Dragons...

And then Naylen, another demihuman, one that was going above and beyond the call-- whether it was for good or not --to defend her. Thinking about it, with everything quieted down, brought a small smile to her face. At the very least, one friend. A group to travel with, all with their own motives, but at the very damn least... One friend, to spend time with. Maybe more, but for now... That's all I could ask for. Now focus back on what's going on, before you start crying... Can I even cry anymore? Regular snakes can't-- oh, well... There you go. Luckily, or unluckily, that part of her humanity remained, as she felt the small drops well up. She quickly wiped her face clean on her shirt, shaking her head. "Phew... What a mess."

Edited by Narmaya

Once the idiot named Haley disappeared, Kolmar let out the breath he'd been holding. "Varann, eh? Thanks for the respite, that lady's shouting was getting annoying." He turned to Aria, who had surprisingly stuck through the tirade. "And as for YOU, little girl," he said gruffly, before softening his expression, "you're either the boldest thief I've ever met, or the world's bravest klutz. Regardless, you've got guts, and I like that." Finally, he turned back to Telmara. "Sorry 'bout all that. Got a good look at everyone who glared at you, and none of 'em are here. Guess that was a fortunate accident, since it's easier to find a party that doesn't care about what you look like in a place like this. Hell of a beginning, but it looks like things'll be interesting around you, at the very least. Mind if I tag along, so I can shove my spear down that loudmouthed harlot's throat, should she be stupid enough to open her mouth again? Pretty sure she ain't gonna let that argument go."

He slowly counted to five under his breath. If the magenta-haired guy didn't take the hint and shut up, Kolmar would do it for him. And here I thought I'd be doing this alone. Figures it would be some boneheaded bitch with a chip on her shoulder that would steer me to a group. Besides, I don't think I can take her group all by myself.

Edited by eggclipse