Vestaria Saga Part 1 Out Now + Discussion Topic

VincentASM

In case you missed the memo, Vestaria Saga Part 1 is now available to download, 2 weeks ahead of schedule. Now, this wasn't completely unexpected, since Kaga mentioned he might release the game early, but this early? Nice.

Downloading the Game

At the time of writing you can download the game using the three buttons from the official download page. The first link is the official download. The second and third are temporary mirrors to relieve the strain (these will be removed after 2 weeks and 1 week respectively).

(Do to the terms and conditions, I won't be re-hosting the game right now.)

Please read the "terms and conditions" BEFORE downloading the game. Here's a simplified version:

1. Content: Property rights and copyright belong to Vestaria Project.

2. Copyright: The software is freeware and for public use only. Users are not permitted to copy, edit or redistribute the software in any manner without permission. If a user infringes on the copyright, the author has the right to claim compensation.

3. Disclaimer: Those who use or download the software do so at their own risk. The author cannot be held responsible for any damage caused by the software.

4. Support: Since this is a free "fan game", no user support is offered. On occasions, information may be posted on the official website.

Playing the Game

After downloading the Vestaria.zip file, you'll need to extract its contents. Then to play the game, you double click the Vestaria.exe file. Be careful that there may be a long delay between clicking the file and loading the game, so if nothing seems to be happening, don't bother clicking again unless you want the game open multiple times.

You can find the basic game controls (as in button controls) and other useful information from this page.

What is Vestaria Saga?

vestaria-site-logo-1.jpg

Vestaria Saga is a FREE indie game/fan game (take your pick) developed by S_Kaga and Vestaria Project. It probably has some really vague relationship with Fire Emblem.

First unveiled back in May 2015, S_Kaga developed Vestaria Saga in his spare time, together with a group of passionate volunteers that he recruited along the way, using the commercial SRPG Studio software. As such, it's not a big budget blockbuster strategy RPG, but a humble labour of love.

Initially envisioned as one game, the scope of the game was too large and complex that S_Kaga eventually split it into two standalone but interconnected games. Hence Vestaria Saga Part 1. Work on Part 2 is expected to commence eventually, but for now, we can see if Part 1 lives up to the legacy.

Other

If you have any questions or need help, feel free to post here.

Why S_Kaga and not... you know who? The man himself doesn't want to be named.

Fan translation when? If anyone knows, give me a shout.

Otherwise... go nuts!

Edited by VincentASM

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plot is typical Kaga FE.

Traveling officials from the Solvian Empire get attacked while at Meleda and they blame the Meledan army. The Empire then invades, but Meleda's allies pull out or betray them and the Empire blazes through and the king gets killed. Zechs orders his brother Zeid to flee with his fiancee Atol, the princess of Meleda.

Of course, since Meleda is being invaded by the Empire, there's chaos and bandits are loose everywhere. You need to reach the port to flee to Venecia, but the ships are attacked by pirates. Literally. If you don't get there before the ships are all gone or destroyed, you lose. I thought it was a nice touch and it's amazing watching a ship evade an attack XD

In the next chapter, Zeid has reached Venecia, but the nobles want to send him and Atol to the Empire because they're scaredy cats. Lytton, the governor of Venecia and Zeid's brother-in-law suggests that Zeid deal with Venecia's serious bandit problem. If he can drive them out within 3 months, he can stay (I think).

At the end of that chapter, Zeid manages to liberate one of the bandit-infested cities, but he learns that the children were taken away to an island. Apparently they're being sold as slaves to another kingdom. Heck, if you thought this wasn't Kaga enough, they even mention "child hunts". Zeid being the hero he is pledges to go and rescue them.

That's just a really simplified version though; there are a lot of nuances. So far, I really liked the portrayal of Lytton and the Venecian nobility. Kind of reminded me a bit of the politics of Crimea or Begnion in the Tellius games. Also, Sister Alicia is totally not a Priestess in disguise.

Edited by VincentASM

Plot is typical Kaga FE.

Traveling officials from the Solvian Empire get attacked while at Meleda and they blame the Meledan army. The Empire then invades, but Meleda's allies pull out or betray them and the Empire blazes through and the king gets killed. Zechs orders his brother Zeid to flee with his fiancee Atol, the princess of Meleda.

Of course, since Meleda is being invaded by the Empire, there's chaos and bandits are loose everywhere. You need to reach the port to flee to Venecia, but the ships are attacked by pirates. Literally. If you don't get there before the ships are all gone or destroyed, you lose. I thought it was a nice touch and it's amazing watching a ship evade an attack XD

In the next chapter, Zeid has reached Venecia, but the nobles want to send him and Atol to the Empire because they're scaredy cats. Lytton, the governor of Venecia and Zeid's brother-in-law suggests that Zeid deal with Venecia's serious bandit problem. If he can drive them out within 3 months, he can stay (I think).

At the end of that chapter, Zeid manages to liberate one of the bandit-infested cities, but he learns that the children were taken away to an island. Apparently they're being sold as slaves to another kingdom. Heck, if you thought this wasn't Kaga enough, they even mention "child hunts". Zeid being the hero he is pledges to go and rescue them.

That's just a really simplified version though; there are a lot of nuances. So far, I really liked the portrayal of Lytton and the Venecian nobility. Kind of reminded me a bit of the politics of Crimea or Begnion in the Tellius games. Also, Sister Alicia is totally not a Priestess in disguise.

Cool, thanks for this. Sure beats trying to decipher Google Translate.

Are there any secret recruitable characters in the first few chapters? I only got the 4 in the village in the second level. But i am stuck there since i have the two other npcs attacking me and i dont know what to do how do i recruit them?

A0k7NNx.png

These bases what the hell.

this guy is probably going to pull a Tear Ring Saga Zeek or Orson and just bail on you somewhere in the game (whilst being the best character). He even kinda looks like Zeek.

Edited by Tryhard

And people bitched about Awakening stat inflation.

To be fair, he's an NPC and never leaves that spot for the duration of the map, and appears to die by enemies overwhelming him in a cutscene soon after.

Doesn't make his stats any less crazy/what the hell worthy though...

To be fair, he's an NPC and never leaves that spot for the duration of the map, and appears to die by enemies overwhelming him in a cutscene soon after.

Doesn't make his stats any less crazy/what the hell worthy though...

idk man, the dude maxed a few of his stats

Kaga games aren't about stat inflation anyway outside of FE4. Just look at TRS and Berwick.

Ah, NPC. Didn't catch that.

Onto Chapter 3 now. Haha, this map looks familiar.

Chapter 2 was pretty decent. I like how it seemed short, but after conquering the port, the super suspicious area with the cave opens up.

Meredy is a rookie knight from Lestia who goes on her own to rescue the hostage kids, but obviously she gets waylaid by the bandits and captured. However, somehow when they're distracted, she runs off on her horse XD

I have a feeling she's gonna be a strong growth unit, but man is she hard to use. She does have an amazing weapon and good skills though.

After rescuing the kids, Garland lectures Zeid about trying to warm up with Atol. I didn't quite catch everything, but Atol is Zechs's fiancee and Zeid's liege (since Zeid hails from the country that Atol's father ruled over). So I think Zeid is kind of awkward about interacting with her. However, Garland tells him to treat her like any other girl.

Later, after surveying the liberated port town, Zeid chills with Atol at the beach. Bit tired right now so I kind of forgot how the conversation went, but Atol seemed pretty happy and hopes the two of the will talk again. Finally, after Alicia takes Haldia (the swordfighter you defeated back in Chapter 1) to heal his wounds, Atol finally joins your party proper.

Anyway, I'm rather enjoying the game, but I need to sleep, haha. Tomorrow, I'll probably post the profiles of the early-game characters. Was gonna post them before the game came out, but it came out much earlier than I expected : P

Also to point the fact that, kind of Thracia, units can also escape in some kind of order from the map. My order in the first map was the lord, cavalier, the two guys and the priest (can't remember the names yet). Dunno if it affects the next mission (since the priest is already missing).

So far I like it and I'm very eager to keep it playing, it really feels like the old old FE games I guess that's Kaga for you.

Edited by Tenryuu

Also to point the fact that, kind of Thracia, units can also escape in some kind of order from the map. My order in the first map was the lord, cavalier, the two guys and the priest (can't remember the names yet). Dunno if it affects the next mission (since the priest is already missing).

So far I like it and I'm very eager to keep it playing, it really feels like the old old FE games I guess that's Kaga for you.

The Escape mission in the first map right? I had all my units escape before the lord and the healer still poofed (her inventory was sent to convoy), so I guess her leaving is scripted.

Seems kinda jerkish to give you a healer with relatively low stats just to take her away the next chapter though. She was cute too... pity.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

>Notices that Protagonist's home country was founded by the "Red Haired Fierce Lion"

I will now be unable to consider this as anything but an unofficial Elibe sequel

Ngl my first thought was actually the boat from The Wind Waker.

Link confirmed?

English translation when

looks cool but I know a literally subzero amount of Japanese and I'd like to actually avoid spoilers so I'll wait a bit

as a whole it looks like one of the best games though. Almost as good as Awakening, Fates, and Genealogy.