Pokemon Generations

Konnor97

Also what was up with the Team Rocket group's walking postures when they cornered Lance around the 1:30 mark? They look like they are marionettes or something.

Time to maybe make a gif :P:

DomC3Y1.gif

Night of the Walking Rockets

Edited by Jedi

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think they're really going to be showing off the protagonists themselves much. Notice how both Red and Ethan, when they appeared in their respective episodes, always had their faces hidden in shadow and focus was on someone else (in order: Pikachu, Looker, Blue/Green and Lance).

It's an interesting design choice, I think. As much as I love the "Freeze you solid" line Ghetsis has in BW2, or whatever, this lets us see more new perspectives.

Why? Nothing stopped them from giving Red voiced lines in Pokemon Origins. I see no reason why the protagonists can't speak here too.

And yeah, what the heck was up with those Rocket grunts' walking? That was just weird and dumb. They looked like they were high or drunk or something.

Edited by Anacybele

Why? Nothing stopped them from giving Red voiced lines in Pokemon Origins. I see no reason why the protagonists can't speak here too.

And yeah, what the heck was up with those Rocket grunts' walking? That was just weird and dumb. They looked like they were high or drunk or something.

But, in that case, Red was the protagonist, the focus of the series. In this case, the side-characters are simply the ones who takes the spotlight.

I'd like to hear a bit more about this. I watched the episode in both German and English and (as you might expect) it's not a 1:1 translation. For instance, at the very beginning Agatha has a line in the German version that flat-out doesn't exist in the English one and Blue's line at the end is also completely different. With that in mind I wonder about the other language versions and in exactly which ways they differ from each other, both in terms of completely new lines and also nuances. I did a pretty literal translation of the German script into English to highlight what changed between those if anyone is interested:

Sorry for being so late!

Anyway, I can say to you that the Italian script is the same as the German one in the beginning(during when the Elite 4 talks to each other), but then, It starts to go on his own, tough It's still...a bit similar to both of the german and English' script in some parts, such as Lorelei's first quote to Blue.

There is a huge different between the English and Italian version of Episode 4 as well: for example, Lance, in the english version, says "That Red Gyarados...It wasn't acting normal. Was It forced to evolve by a mysterious radio wave? I have to find the source.", but, in the Italian, versione he says "That Red Gyarados...It had something suspicious, there are no doubts. They'll have forced it to evolve with some anoumalous waves. We have to understand from where they come from."

Another example is about the TR recruits: in the english version, whenthey see Lance, the first one to talk is male recruit, while in the italian version is the female one who talks.

But then again, I'm not really surprised about these differences, considering how the various localization teams likes to take their liberty with the Pokemon Games in general.

​Anyway, the episode itself was really good: Lance and Dragonite were Amazing and the four TR recruits had the best walk I've seen in a pokèmon related series. It was kind of similar to Jojo, in that point of the episode, but maybe It was just an impression of mine

Edited by The Wyvern Rider

I don't get why the grunt walk is so confusing for some people. It's the standard grunt m.o of acting tough while being incompetent, so their attempts to be intimidating wind up looking goofy. It's simple characterisation.

Edited by Shuuda

Time to maybe make a gif :P:

DomC3Y1.gif

Night of the Walking Rockets

This is amazing...

Anytime I see this, I hear Ridin' Dirty by Chamillionaire playing in my head.

On a side note: One more thing I really like was how they actually saved the electrodes, giving them a happier ending instead of in the games where they had to be put down.

On a side note: One more thing I really like was how they actually saved the electrodes, giving them a happier ending instead of in the games where they had to be put down.

You could always catch them, assuming they don't self-destruct.

But, in that case, Red was the protagonist, the focus of the series. In this case, the side-characters are simply the ones who takes the spotlight.

This was supposed to focus mainly on side characters? Where was that stated?

The trailer advertises the series with "untold stories", implying it would focus on the people we didn't play as in the games themselves. The stories of the player characters aren't exactly untold.

There's the untold stories part that Shuuda mentioned, and if you look at the main poster for Pokemon Generations, you will notice that there isn't a single main character in it, so it's safe to asume that the player characters will only make small cameos or not appear at all.

The trailer advertises the series with "untold stories", implying it would focus on the people we didn't play as in the games themselves. The stories of the player characters aren't exactly untold.

About the main characters, there is the 2/3 years(or were they more?) between BW and BW2, where the MC of BW disapperead and we don't know anything about it, asode that he wanted to find N.

It won't most likely be shown in this series tough and I doubt that there is somebody interested about it.

I was referring more to today's episode, to be honest.

Sorry for not having been more specific.

Edited by The Wyvern Rider

It's just a design idea, trying to go with a "featureless protagonist" the audience can project onto in anime form, pretty much.

It's certainly a different way of going about it, whether it's a good idea is up to the viewer. So far, they seem to have made it work.

Its good to see Lance is still ordering his Pokemon to beat the crap out of his enemies. First Hyper beam, then Giga impact and now just electrocuting someone.

The short format worked pretty well for the team rocket hideout crash. Dragonite's rampage looked awesome and it showed Lance doesn't mess around. Much better then Blue soloing the elite four without breaking a sweat.

I'm still not a fan of the featureless protagenists though. I get the point, but I think it looks a bit weird in something animated.

I think the idea of Generations is highlighting the most important or valuable parts of each generation instead of a series in itself which consists of episodes, a built narrative, defined cast, etc. I like it tbh, it's like a gift to fans that love each Gen and want it in the anime without a defined protagonist or a chump named Ash

Honestly, the most recent episode was the best- the smaller format worked for it much better, as it's just really one scene while also being entertaining. Blue VS the Elite 4 could've been up to two full length episodes.

And I'm super late to the "Lance's voice sounds so familiar -wait it's Ben Diskin" train.

Lorelei did sound like Laura Bailey, though.

I really enjoyed the Silver episode. Poor kid...

Eusine, well, that expands on his Suicune stalkerisms I guess? Makes you wonder why he doesn't stalk the other two though.

Favorite to least favorite so far:

1. The Legacy

2. The Chase

3. The Lake of Rage

4. The Reawakening

5. The Challenger

6. The Adventure

Huh, I expected Silver to have a voice more like Paul's in the main anime, to show how much of a dick he is. I don't think the voice he got fits him at all. Otherwise, these were nice.

Huh, I expected Silver to have a voice more like Paul's in the main anime, to show how much of a dick he is. I don't think the voice he got fits him at all. Otherwise, these were nice.

Well, to be fair, this is Silver a good deal into his development in the games, since it's at the endgame.

I was not very impressed by these episode, maybe that's because I never played Johto.

Also, in a world when almost everyone have at least 1 pokémon, the people of the town choose... a stone and pieces of wood against 3 Legendary pokémon?

Edited by Nym

I was not very impressed by these episode, maybe that's because I never played Johto.

Also, in a world when almost everyone have at least 1 pokémon, the people of the town choose... a stone and pieces of wood against 3 Legendary pokémon?

Wood Hammer is super effective on Suicune, and Stone Edge is effective against Entei. Smart villagers.