Feminism discussion

UNLEASH IT

It's so rude when people die and don't tell you.

That's why you leave your login information in your will, so that next of kin can notify your internet friends that you died. Might be the only thing to pass on to the angsty teenage great-grandkid.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if anyone is still here but I just wanted to bring attention to an issue that isn't very widely reported and something that I believe should be at the forefront of discussion with regards to women's rights (though, that may be coming from a position of bias, since I work as an intern in this industry and intend to pursue a career in it). Women in agriculture face a wide range of challenges, some that may even be life-threatening. You can get some more info on it here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agriculture_in_the_United_States#Women_in_agriculture

I wouldn't call myself a feminist per se, but I feel like this is an issue I can't ignore, because it goes beyond the realm of sexism into blatant exploitation that can have life threatening consequences on not only women, but also their children and spouses. I feel like we have an obligation to help these women out because they play large a part in producing something that we can't live without: food. And many countries around the world (especially my home country) depend on America's food exports. I'm not saying that it invalidates the other causes for women's rights but I feel like it should stand on equal footing with them.

Phoenix, you said that you were a resident assistant at a university right? Is there some way that you can get this issue more involved in the discourse that usually happens with regards to women's rights that takes place in colleges? I want to do something, but I feel like I'm not in a high enough position of influence to actually do so. If you want to take credit for it, go ahead. In fact, don't tell anyone that I shared this with you, because I'm sure that there are people currently fighting for this, and I don't deserve anything for trying to point it out. I'm just a bit fed up with myself for lamenting wrong things in society while doing nothing to change them. It might not be a big step, but maybe it can snowball into something larger.

If there's anyone else in this thread who sees this, you're very much welcome to follow suit. And if there are people who think that what I'm doing is ill-advised and is willing to point out flaws in what I stated, you're welcome to do so as well.

Edited by UNLEASH IT

Wow, that definitely does seem like a worthy cause to promote! What would be a solution, do you think? Looks as if proper fitting equipment and better educational outreach would go a long way?

I'll have to read that closers when I get the chance. I grew up in the corn capital of the world, but this never really got much attention growing up.

Thankfully, I don't seem to have been affected, since I had two kids without even trying.

Wow, that definitely does seem like a worthy cause to promote! What would be a solution, do you think? Looks as if proper fitting equipment and better educational outreach would go a long way?

I think so, but I feel something more sinister is going on behind the scenes here. Call me paranoid, but I feel like those big agricultural companies are purposefully not making proper fitting equipment for these women in order to save a few bucks. And many of the women working in the industry aren't in any position to refuse because they lack other avenues of income and need that job to support themselves and their families.

IMO this is something that OSHA needs to look into. I feel that this is an issue worth discussing, but I don't really like how little the article covers. Is this a problem unique to women? Are the employers deliberately not telling women how to properly protect themselves when spraying pesticides? How do shorter men handle the issue regarding protective suits?

IMO this is something that OSHA needs to look into. I feel that this is an issue worth discussing, but I don't really like how little the article covers. Is this a problem unique to women? Are the employers deliberately not telling women how to properly protect themselves when spraying pesticides? How do shorter men handle the issue regarding protective suits?

And that's something that I feel myself. Despite reading on it, I feel like I just don't have enough information on the matter and I'm being too hasty. I feel like I need to talk to more people within the sector, both American and worldwide, before jumping to conclusions.

This was another article on it btw. http://nasdonline.org/1815/d001759/women-in-agriculture-risks-for-occupational-injury-within.html

This is probably my own youthful naivety showing, but I feel like if this really is an issue worth looking into, and we make a big enough fuss about it, people may actually become more aware and a change might actually happen. Like I said, I feel like this goes beyond just gender issues. Though I'm most certainly biased with regards to this, I feel like we aren't mindful enough of the effort that people go through and the risks they take to put food on our table.

I feel like I'm kinda hijacking the thread by doing this though.

Edited by UNLEASH IT