Does FE8 still have the framework for personal sprites?

Topaz Light

Does FE8 still have framework in place for certain characters to use alternate/personal sprites in battle? In FE7, characters like Lucius, Guy, Legault, and Lloyd all got different, personalized sprites in battle, but FE7 is the only GBAFE game that does this. I was wondering if the framework for this still exists in FE8's ROM, or if it would require ASM hacking to get it working.

I don't think there's a nightmare setting where you can tell the character what class to use, but you can just get/make the animation you want to use, insert it, create a custom class that's the same as whatever class you want the unit to be, and assign the unit to that class.

Vennobennu made a patch to let you do this for FE8:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/15777mh2z0yya2b/Custom%20Animations.zip?dl=0

This is purely for my own curiosity at the moment, but is there a limit to how many characters you can give unique animations/sprites? Could you theoretically give every character a unique animation for their respective class? I suppose this question also applies to FE7, if you or anyone else browsing has the knowledge on hand.

I know that in FE7 you theoretically could, as long as you were able to insert all the custom animations, because the game supports defining specific animations for each character with each weapon type, IIRC. Now, I'm not familiar enough with the FE7 ROM to know how feasible it'd be to actually insert a unique set of battle sprites for every single character in the game, but theoretically the engine would at least support associating them with the respective characters.

Edited by Topaz Light