Serenes Forest Interviews Lady Corrin w/ AMA Event! [Closed]

Elieson

You're free to ask anything (within reason, of course), no worries! Doesn't have to be Fates or FE related at all :P:.

Yeah, that's what I'd mostly heard from people in the past. It's too bad that you don't get to socialize much with co-workers on a project! But that's the nature of voice acting I guess :P:.

Do you have any interesting tales you might be able to share about your time in the business? You mentioned your colleagues are pretty down to earth, so I figured you may have some fun stuff to share with the rest of us! Just something that stands out to you that you think might make a cool story, I'm sure people would like to hear about it!

Edit: Night! Thanks again for spending a few days with us.

Hmmm, well sessions in general are always a lot of fun with lots of laughs. I remember A couple months ago I was recording another video game (which I can't talk about but you lot will all be very interested ;) and I was reading my lines and I thought it read "Character Snort laughs" So I started snorting and laughing and everyone on the other side of the glass all started cracking up. I asked if that's what they meant and apparently it read "Charater Short laughs" like a little giggle...It actually makes me laugh thinking about it.

Anyways for the rest of the session at random points when no one was expecting it, the engineer would just play the recording of me snorting.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Marcella! Thanks for doing an AMA. Also, as an aside, I have an aunt with the same name. :D

Ahem, now more on track. Firstly, thank you for your performance as Lady Corrin and Lady Scarlet. I enjoyed both performances. Though you might like Scarlet more, I find that I prefer Lady Corrin. :D In fact I prefer Lady Corrin over Lord Corrin. Though I think my avatar hints that I like her a lot. :D

I noticed earlier in the thread that you said you preferred Scarlet's, so I'm curious. Is it specifically Scarlet herself or the type of character that Scarlet is that you prefer? So this specific character or the rather the general role she fills into the story at large is what I'm more meaning.

If there was an animated feature/story/series for Fire Emblem: Fates, would you love to return to your roles?

Finally, I noticed you said that you liked Scarlet's confession to Corrin, but do you wish Scarlet had more? I know for myself, I was wishing Scarlet and Ryoma had a confession scene.

Hi, and welcome to the Forest~!

Assuming I'm reading your IMDb page correctly, it also looks like you do some acting, as well. Which do you prefer, acting in front of a camera, or voice acting?

Yup, I do all mediums of acting, I love to perform. I don't have a favorite but voice overs holds a special place in my heart because I feel like I'm taking after my dad.

It's great to have you at SF!

If you were to pick another character (whom you have not voiced as before) to voice as, whether he or she is a Fire Emblem or Nintendo character or whatever, who would it be and why?

I don't know any particular character but I'm dying to do a non human character that speaks gibberish. Like a pet or animal or robot or something. Creatively that would be a lot of fun. I'm pretty wacky but tend to not voice wacky characters funnily enough.

Welcome to the Forest!

First and foremost, I really want to commend you for your performances as Corrin and Scarlet. Both are easily some of my favorites in the entire game (Your voice for Corrin is by far my favorite option for them.)

Since you mentioned you were into films, do you have any favorites?

Thanks again for stopping by!

Awww thanks so much! I'm so glad everyone enjoys her so much!

Well the list is endless but here are a few...

cool hand luke

hocus pocus

force majeur (2015 film check it out)

Clue

arsenic and old lace

big lebowski (of course)

manhattan

casablanca

four rooms

romance and cigarrettes

woman on the verge of a nervous breakdown

Welcome to Serenes Forest and thankyou for this great opportunity! We really appreciate it, staff member or not :)

Here are my questions.

1. Is it hard to get into voice acting compared to the standard television industry?

2. Do you like the idea of Fire Emblem and the genre as a whole? (Fantasy/Medieval/Strategy)

3. If you were asked to go back and voice for another Fire Emblem game, would you do it?

4. What are some other video games/anime/cartoon/TV/anything really series you'd like to be a VA in?

Sorry for the large amount of questions. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have fun answering everyone's questions :) Good luck for future roles :D

1. It's hard to get into any medium of acting. It's a tough town period. that being the said the voice over world is small.

2. I LOVE fantasy! I don't play video games but If i did I would 100% be playing a fantasy game. Something that take some into another world. You ee, one of the reasons I don't play video games is because for me acting is like playing a real life video game. I get the thrill of being in another world when I'm working :)

3. hell yea!! I would've to! Voicing the same character or new ones, I love this game and the fanbase :)

4. I'd love to do a Blizzard game as I have a lot of friends who work there so it would be Special if I could do one of their games. Any game or series that is high fantasy, or weird/bizzarre, or pushing the envelope...

Thank you!! xo M

Do you play video games, and if so, what is your favorite genre?

Have you played any Fire Emblem in particular or plan to try any out?

Do you ever get the urge to spontaneously scream "For Nohr!"?

I don't play any video games. I've tried and I suck at it. But I do like watching my friends play and hang out with them while they do. To me when I'm acting and Voicing the characters is kind of like being transported to that world.

I haven't tried it out but if I have a friend who could get it for me and show me I totally would!!

ha! I can't say I have but I had a lot of fun screaming it while recording :)

Hi! I'm glad to see the actors involved with the series as of late interacting with the community more, so first of all, let me just say "thank you" for taking the time to do that. From my own experiences, I know actors are very busy people because they are essentially all small business owners; you have to constantly be auditioning, fulfilling work for clients, and looking for future prospects.

Anyhow, hopefully my questions here aren't too personal, but if they are, please forgive me. Do you do any other work besides acting? If so, what else do you do? I know it's fairly common, especially in the VO business, to work other jobs on the side in addition to acting. That said, you seem to do a lot of onscreen and offscreen acting, so I was just curious as to your situation.

Also, how difficult is scheduling sessions for different clients? I would imagine it being fairly difficult to deconflict with different client needs if you have a decent influx of people hiring you. Do you ever miss out on work because of scheduling conflicts?

No problem! I love connecting with my audience! seeing what people like about what I do :)

I'm lucky enough to be doing this long enough and to work consistently enough that I don't need another job :) I used to be a nanny for years though.

It's not difficult at all. I actually don't do any of the scheduling as that's what I pay my agent and manager for. So they just tell me where and when to be and I go. Once and awhile there might be some scheduling conflicts and they'll need to work with different companies to schedule me on different days. Btu usually it's all doable. I have had to turn down some work if I was already booked on a project and the paperwork is signed and the new job does not have a flexible schedule but that is very rare!

Hello, and welcome to Serenes Forest! It's a great community just so long as you avoid Serious Discussion. :p

Anyway...

Which historical figure would you most want to voice?

Which fictional character would you most want to voice?

Good Question!!!!

Wow I've never thought about that...

Queen Elizabeth though, or Bloody Mary! Cleopatra would be cool.

The caterpillar from alice in wonderland, Any Shakespeare character, Poison Ivy, Female zorro

Nice to see another Fates voice actor/actress here.

Anyway, have you picked up FE Fates for yourself; if not, do you plan to?

I have not! and I would but I wouldn't know the first thing to do... plus I don't have a nintendo :( I would probably go to a friends house and watch them play. i enjoy watching other people enjoy my work then playing myself.

Hi! Super cool to see more people involved with the series on the site - thanks so much for doing this interview!

You just mentioned you love fantasy and I gotta ask as a language arts student... video games aside, are you a fan of any fantasy novels (or movies/shows, even - I'm flexible) at all?

When you play Fates, do you think you'll play as the Male or Female Corrin?

-if Male, do you romance Scarlet or another character

-if female, do you choose your voice, and who do you romance?

How did you get into Voice Acting?

Edited by Pokedude729

Hi Marcella! Congratulations (and thank you) for the amazing work you did for Fates, your voice fits Corrin's character perfectly (especially Conquest's Corrin, hearing Corrin crying always gets me during sad cutscenes), and I'd be glad if you continued the Fire Emblem adventure with us! I have a few questions too, but I'd like to say it's very nice to come chat with us here.

Questions:

- When you're working on a character, what are you told about her? Are you just given the main lines, or a more detailled description, design, etc.?

- How does it feel to hear your own voice on a video game or see yourself on a screen?

- As a voice actor, do you work alone, or sometimes meets/ records (simultaneously) with the other VA working on the same project?

- in the cultural world, artists often have for inspiration an artist in the same field. What is yours, if you have one (outside of your parents)?

- I'm always amazed by the diversity of (sometimes very different) voices a single VA can perform. Are voice clips edited numerically to help you change your voice (more than just a little correction to sleek the sound)?

- I saw you appeared on an episode of Criminal Minds (my favourite TV show). What did you find the more difficult or interesting, voice acting or "live action" ?

- How can you stay serious when recording combats screams, grunts, pain, etc?

- Was it difficult to perform Corrin's voice exactly as it was a few months later for Super Smash Bros? It's hard to explain, I mean, to sound exactly like Fates' Corrin ? And also why did Nintendo changed "This ends now!" into "This ends here!" ?

Thank you!

-I'll have an audition with a description of character and a couple lines. If I get the job I don't have any info until I show up at the studio. then they might tell me a little more about the character. Then I'll listen to my audition to voice match myself. then... We start recording and I read the lines as we go :)

- it's weird and cool t the same time. I've gotten used to it, but every once and awhile I 'll hear myself differently and I'll surprise myself which is nice.

-I almost always record alone. I usually meet other actors before and after my session.

-i know you said not my parents but my inspiration is always my dad. HE was incredibly talented. I mean he could do absolutely any voice, dialect, accent, impression. He worked so much because he could do it all. And I strive to not be pigeonholed for one thing but to also do it all.

-I'm not sure what you mean by numerically, nor do I know about the editing process. But i can tell you myself and many other VA's can do 100's of voices that sound nothing alike ;)

- I like it all. I get a different rush from both forms. I love acting period, in whatever medium that takes form. But I do love being behind the mic ;)

-I have to admit we do laugh a lot in the booth, but it's my job and this is still work. So when I need to be serious, i have to.

-They play me samples of what I did before and I voice match myself. Usually I get it immediately. Every once and awhile there are sentences that the director will say "that's not Corrin" And I'll have to find her again.

-No idea why nintendo does anything they do ;P it might not have even been conscious. Sometimes if they change a line it's for timing, a word might just sound weird, there's something off that they can't pinpoint.

Great thread. I really like Corrin's critical hit quotes/skill activation quotes they are awesome and Scarlet's "I'm gonna go Nohrian on your butt" always gives me chills it's really cool and enjoyable to hear.

So 2 questions for Ms.Marcela : How did it feel to save yourself in Revelations during the jump in the Bottomless Canyon ?

Also who is your favorite male character in Fire Emblem Fates.

Ha, thanks!!!

I love that part! I'ma pretty and ass chick so it as all in days work ;)

and I have a soft spot for Male Corrin of course ;)

Thank you!

-I'll have an audition with a description of character and a couple lines. If I get the job I don't have any info until I show up at the studio. then they might tell me a little more about the character. Then I'll listen to my audition to voice match myself. then... We start recording and I read the lines as we go :)

- it's weird and cool t the same time. I've gotten used to it, but every once and awhile I 'll hear myself differently and I'll surprise myself which is nice.

-I almost always record alone. I usually meet other actors before and after my session.

-i know you said not my parents but my inspiration is always my dad. HE was incredibly talented. I mean he could do absolutely any voice, dialect, accent, impression. He worked so much because he could do it all. And I strive to not be pigeonholed for one thing but to also do it all.

-I'm not sure what you mean by numerically, nor do I know about the editing process. But i can tell you myself and many other VA's can do 100's of voices that sound nothing alike ;)

- I like it all. I get a different rush from both forms. I love acting period, in whatever medium that takes form. But I do love being behind the mic ;)

-I have to admit we do laugh a lot in the booth, but it's my job and this is still work. So when I need to be serious, i have to.

-They play me samples of what I did before and I voice match myself. Usually I get it immediately. Every once and awhile there are sentences that the director will say "that's not Corrin" And I'll have to find her again.

-No idea why nintendo does anything they do ;P it might not have even been conscious. Sometimes if they change a line it's for timing, a word might just sound weird, there's something off that they can't pinpoint.

Thanks a lot for answering my 2000 questions :) I'm sorry I asked so many questions, but Voice Acting is something that's really interesting, and I learnt a lot today! I wished I had the talent to do that.

By numerically I meant post-production, with computers (english is not my mother tongue). But I'm even more amazed to hear that! And that you're not even shown a picture of the character whereas the voice perfectly fits her design.

Anyway, thanks again! I hope we'll see (hear) you again in a next FE in the future :)

Edited by Brand_Of_The_Exalt

Hi Marcella! Thanks for doing an AMA. Also, as an aside, I have an aunt with the same name. :D

Ahem, now more on track. Firstly, thank you for your performance as Lady Corrin and Lady Scarlet. I enjoyed both performances. Though you might like Scarlet more, I find that I prefer Lady Corrin. :D In fact I prefer Lady Corrin over Lord Corrin. Though I think my avatar hints that I like her a lot. :D

I noticed earlier in the thread that you said you preferred Scarlet's, so I'm curious. Is it specifically Scarlet herself or the type of character that Scarlet is that you prefer? So this specific character or the rather the general role she fills into the story at large is what I'm more meaning.

If there was an animated feature/story/series for Fire Emblem: Fates, would you love to return to your roles?

Finally, I noticed you said that you liked Scarlet's confession to Corrin, but do you wish Scarlet had more? I know for myself, I was wishing Scarlet and Ryoma had a confession scene.

I've never met anyone with the same name as me only people who know other Marcella's!

I think I prefer Scarlet purely on a weird personal level. I didn't have that much to say for Scarlet and she was done really fast. I was just getting into her character and then we finished. With Corrin I really got to explore her and have fun with her and discover her. Which is great! I just wished I had a little more to say as Scarlet. You know, actually I probably do enjoy Corrin more and I'm just bummed Scarlett didn't have as much :P

I would LOVE to return to do my roles... or any new ones too!!! This game si so much fun and such great world.

100% agree with you. I wanted a confession scene.

Hi! Super cool to see more people involved with the series on the site - thanks so much for doing this interview!

You just mentioned you love fantasy and I gotta ask as a language arts student... video games aside, are you a fan of any fantasy novels (or movies/shows, even - I'm flexible) at all?

YES!! I'm a huge harry potter (the books) geek. I love game of thrones. I loved the lord of the rings (need to read the books). I'm really into witches and the history of witches. wizard of oz (book and movie), alice and wonderland (the book is incredible).

If you have any good recommendations for witchy books I'd love to hear them :)

When you play Fates, do you think you'll play as the Male or Female Corrin?

-if Male, do you romance Scarlet or another character

-if female, do you choose your voice, and who do you romance?

How did you get into Voice Acting?

Good question! I'm not sure if my voice would be distracting or not. I would probably want to play female but is there an option of me romancing Scarlet? or only boys can do that? :P

My parents are actors and my dad mostly only did voice overs. I started doing voice overs when I was 8 and really got into it. I grew up in recording booths and in studios, it's definitely another home for me. But I've known I was going to be an actor since I was 4, no joke.

Thanks a lot for answering my 2000 questions :) I'm sorry I asked so many questions, but Voice Acting is something that's really interesting, and I learnt a lot today! I wished I had the talent to do that.

By numerically I meant post-production, with computers (english is not my mother tongue). But I'm even more amazed to hear that! And that you're not even shown a picture of the character whereas the voice perfectly fits her design.

Anyway, thanks again! I hope we'll see (hear) you again in a next FE in the future :)

Oh Gotcha! Sometimes they do show us a picture of the character! Sometimes they can only show us a rough drawing, other times they're not aloud to show the artwork.

YES!! I'm a huge harry potter (the books) geek. I love game of thrones. I loved the lord of the rings (need to read the books). I'm really into witches and the history of witches. wizard of oz (book and movie), alice and wonderland (the book is incredible).

If you have any good recommendations for witchy books I'd love to hear them :)

Ohhhh man Alice in Wonderland and LotR (the movies, tbh. the books are fine but the movies are a+) are two of my favorite things of all time!

This opens up an important question, though: what Hogwarts house are you? (hufflepuff representing, here)

(I'll try to think of some witchy books!)

Edited by Specta

Oh Gotcha! Sometimes they do show us a picture of the character! Sometimes they can only show us a rough drawing, other times they're not aloud to show the artwork.

That's the drawback to keep avoiding leaks I guess. They should trust their VAs more, they would get an even better work! It must be a difficult part of the job, to apoint the voice with both appearence and personality, even when you saw a picture. It's something irrational, sometimes there's a little gap between the voice and the design, but often they match. Fates is very good on this point fortunately.

The LotR books are very good. There's a whole world outside of the events shown during the films, split between the appendix (at the end of The Return Of The King, with the future of the characters) and a lot of (big) books. The first three Harry Potter films were wonderful in my opinion (John Williams' music!), but it became awful after the 4th, because they changed the team and made it darker.

Edited by Brand_Of_The_Exalt

I don't have any questions to ask right now since almost everything I came up with has already been asked.

But I will use this thread to thank Ms. Lentz-Pope for agreeing to do this AMA, and to tell you that I loved your work as Corrin in FE:Fates and Smash Bros.

I hope to hear your voice in more games in the future, as well as returning as Corrin in upcoming Smash Bros. games.

Even if you're no good at video games, have you ever considered taking up tabletop gaming with any of your fellow voice actors? Working with Matt Mercer and Marisha Ray and many others who worked on Fates concurrently, were you ever interested in being on a show like Critical Role?