NHL 2016-2017: Defending Stanley Cup Champs, the Pittsburgh Penguins!

Anacybele

It's about that time again! Time flies, huh? It still feels like my Penguins won the cup only mere days ago. :P

But preseason starts up real soon and then the regular season will be upon us too! And I think the Penguins can repeat! They looked dominant against every team they played in the playoffs. Nobody could stop these guys, not even if you put them in a hole like the Lightning did. They still climbed out and got to the Stanley Cup final!

It wasn't like they were against easy teams either, they had to get past the President's Trophy guys (the Capitals) and the Rangers (who had a history of beating this team a lot). And then the Lightning was able to match their speed. And I don't even need to talk about the Sharks, right?

All I can really say is PRAISE COACH SULLIVAN! He came in mid-season and turned this squad into champs. Do you think the Penguins can keep the cup? Or will someone dethrone them? Either way, they'll be really good again, because veterans and young rookies contributed to that victory. They won the cup with a rookie goalie and two more rookies scoring goals. Also, Sidney Crosby is like hockey God right now.

I don't really watch much hockey until the playoffs, since that's a lot of hockey to watch lol, but I do watch regular season games if I'm bored or it happens to be on TV in a restaurant I'm in or something. :P But playoff hockey is pretty exciting!

Btw, the Stanley Cup parade in Pittsburgh broke the record for number of people attending a big Pittsburgh event! :O

Edited by Anacybele

​Yea, the Canadians will obviously detrone them in a blink of an eye.

​It's kinda sad when the last time that your team won the Stanley Cup was when you were not even born :(

Edited by Nym

Man, that is sad. :(

But if it's any comfort to you, the last time the Penguins had won the cup before 09 was either 91 or 93. I can't remember which. :P And 91 was the year I was born.

Sidney Crosby and Team Canada just won the World Cup of Hockey! Which means Sid now has the Stanley Cup, the Conn Smythe, an Emmy, and now the World Cup of Hockey trophy for this year. :awesome: Like I said, he's hockey God! Is there anything this guy can't do? :O

GO SID!

Edited by Anacybele

• 2 weeks later...

Opening day of the new season has come! The Penguins' raising of their 2016 championship banner was spectacular. :D

(I didn't watch it live, though, I just saw the video)

Edited by Anacybele

Getting killed 4-0 by the Canadiens and getting a bunch of penalties ain't cool, man. :( Pens gotta do better, and thankfully, we can be confident that Sullivan will fix things. He did before, he can do it again!

Btw, next up is a Stanley Cup rematch with the Sharks! I wonder if the big fish are mad about getting beat by us? lol

Which reminds me, here are some fun facts about the Penguins' Stanley Cup playoff run!

- Sidney Crosby was the one that called that one OT play in a game against the Lightning (I think) It's the one where he passed it to Letang, who then handed it off to Sheary who found a soft spot in coverage and buried it in!

- Carl Hagelin, Nick Bonino, and Phil Kessel, despite being the third line, were the most productive for the Penguins. They earned the nickname HBK line for this outstanding work!

- And speaking of which, these three also got a sandwich named after them at this cafe in downtown Pittsburgh, much like Big Ben of the Steelers got the Roethlisburger way back when. It's called the HBK, of course, and uses ham (the H), bacon (the B), and kabasi (the K).

- Phil Kessel was especially productive. One of the games was, in a nut shell, Lightning vs Kessel, pretty much. XD I think it was the Lightning, anyway. At one point, Kessel had eight shots on goal while the Lighting combined had ten. lol

- Matt Murray is the fourth or fifth rookie goalie in NHL history to win a cup. Can't remember which. One road in Pittsburgh, due to originally having a similar name, was named Matt Murray Avenue for a day as well! Kudos to this dude!

Edited by Anacybele

• 3 weeks later...

Pens win 5-ZIP against the Sharks in another Stanley Cup rematch, lol Sharks and their fans must HATE us now. :P (Sharks lost the first rematch too)

And this is Matt Murray's second shutout of his career. Man I LOVE having two Stanley Cup winning goalies!

Edited by Anacybele

• 2 weeks later...

Yeesh, no kidding. Apparently Murray took a bad hit in the middle of the game and Fleury had to go in for him at goalie though, so I'm sure the sudden change was somewhat of a factor. For some reason, the defense tends to play worse when Fleury's in the net. :/

But yeah, this...is the worst loss I've seen for this team so far.

Edited by Anacybele