Let's Die! Final Fantasy Tactics 1.3 Part 24 - Dance With The Devil

Deltre

is up, where we meet an old friend and kill our second Zodiac Demon. My editor also decided to really mess up the sound of my voice, as well as drop about 5 seconds of video, but that's life. 

[spoiler=Videos]

Chapter 1

Part 1- 

Part 2 -

Part 3 -

Part 4 -

Part 5 -

Part 6 -

Part 7 -

Part 8 -

Chapter 2

Part 9 -

Part 10 -

Part 11 -

Part 12 -

Part 13 -

Part 14 -

Part 15 -

Chapter 3

Part 16 -

Part 17 -

Part 18 -

Extra 1 -

Part 19 -

[spoiler=OP]

What's going on guys, I wanted to share with you guys over on the FE side of things a playthrough of what is in all honesty my favorite game of all time. FE is my current lover, but at heart, I know she'll never be as good to me as my first. Which brings us to this game. Masterful gameplay, masterful storytelling, and a masterful soundtrack all blended together to form the closest thing to a perfect game as it gets in my eyes. But some hardcore fans over at the Insane Difficulty forums added an extra ingredient to this concoction; Insane...dificulty. . .it sounded better in my head.  Here are some before and after images to illustrate my point. 

[spoiler=Before]gfs_42153_1_1_mid.jpg

Nothing out of the ordinary. Now if we apply the patch:

[spoiler=After]10dfyh4.jpg

It's subtle, but upon careful observation the differences become apparent. So if strategy games are your thing, but FE isn't quite doing it for you or you just want something different, I highly encourage you to check this out! But be warned, this game makes Conquest Lunatic look like a lil' bitch. It eats Thracia for breakfast and Lunatic Reverse calls 1.3 its daddy. If you're a fan of the FFT series and you consider yourself an expert then you owe to yourself to give this a go. But as it says in the description for the mod, you'd better check your ego at the door. I attempted this patch many years ago, but was never able to finish it to completion. Now, many years and several versions later my pride has finally healed and I'm ready to get back on that horse again. 

And fear not! If you have no clue about Final Fantasy Tactics and how it works, I can answer any questions you may have. Although I totally skipped out on this during part one. If it's requested though I can throw together a video on the mechanics, because it's absolutely essential if you're going to play along or on your own. For the vets, I'll throw a list of notable changes in the spoilers tag below, as well as a link to the mod.

EDIT: There is also a version of the mod that strictly adds in the modified content without the overpowering difficulty. It's called FFT 1.3 Content. Can't believe I forgot to mention that. I imagine it's still a good bit harder thanks to the rebalancing, but should be good in case you want something in between Vanilla and controller-through-screen rage inducing.

[spoiler=Changes + Patch Download]Download Here

Dark Knight & Onion Knight playable without WOTL
Marche from FFTA is playable
200+ New Random Battles
50+ Arena 5 VS 5 VS 5 Free For All battles
40+ New Deep Dungeon Battles
Rebalanced / nerfed overpowered elements that trivialized the game
Completely redesigned storyline battles, boss encounters, and sidequests
Thousands of individual balance changes
White Chocobos and Green Chocobos
Archaic Demon event
Vormav 1 vs 1 duel event
Cactuars
Tonberries
Sage Job
Marksman Job
JP Scroll / Level Up / Down / Degenerator Glitches removed from the game
Jobs rebalanced
Items and Poaching rebalanced
Brave and Faith are no longer alterable
All storyline enemies are now the player's level in strength or higher
Enemies now use every single item the player can use except rares
Enemies now have alot more JP to learn strong abilities with

Anyways, without further ado, here's

. Nothing too spectacular, it's the intro battle, what did you expect? The quality will be better in the next part as well, I'm pretty sure I've sorted out my emulator issues. Also, I was thinking about making this a one off, but since I'm actually going to play through this I'll attempt to slow down for the story next time, promise :] I stand by my version though. Can't very well skip through everything if I'm calling it masterful though, can I? Edited by Deltre

Huh, I still have my WOTL copy (I can live with slowdown) but seems interesting, unfortunately I'm too lazy to get a ps 1 enulator up and running ...how much harder does this make it to get an Arithmage and the Flare/Holy every map in like 10 moves? FFT is a masterful game and also the game I played before FE so it dose hold a special place in my heart too. "DELITA!" (Ramza in 90% of the cutscenes) Slightly off topic but I hope the New Dissidia comes out west soon,I really wanna try Ramza in that too...

Huh, I still have my WOTL copy (I can live with slowdown) but seems interesting, unfortunately I'm too lazy to get a ps 1 enulator up and running ...how much harder does this make it to get an Arithmage and the Flare/Holy every map in like 10 moves? FFT is a masterful game and also the game I played before FE so it dose hold a special place in my heart too. "DELITA!" (Ramza in 90% of the cutscenes) Slightly off topic but I hope the New Dissidia comes out west soon,I really wanna try Ramza in that too...

If I'm not mistaken, 1.3 removes the Mathematician/Calculator class completely from the player's job tree because it's broken as hell, replacing it with Sage, a class that uses various high-level, previously enemy-only spells (you can still find enemy Mathematicians later on, but they're unrecruitable).

You know, I WOTL was a game I really wanted back in the day when I had a PSP. If you can live with the slowdown it's still great, and I did always want to try those new battles they added. What killed it for me is the re-translation. Maybe I'm just getting old (22 is the new 60 don't you know) but there's just something weird about the whole "Wherefore art thou Alma" style writing that just rubbed me the wrong way. Also Algus's new name is Argus Thadofolus which is somehow, impossibly, makes me hate him even more.

And yeah, calculator is out completely. I never really used it back in the day because like you said, and I can't believe I can say this, math is way too OP.

Never played Dissidia but always really wanted to. Is it PS Vita? I may pick it up if it's not, or see if I can snag a PStv at some point.

Looks intersting, but I don't think I'll try it, mainly because I'm not very skilled at FFT I still need to play WOTL and many other games.

But I'll make sure to remember to give this a try, one day.

Partially my fault for hyping it up so much (and it really is as hard as I'm saying here) but I know of several people over on the website where I found this that played through FFT 1.3 as their first experience with the game. If you do your research on the mechanics it's probably not impossible, even if you've never played it. I totally understand wanting to play vanilla first too though!

this is the mod i needed thank you dude

Any time :]

If I'm not mistaken, 1.3 removes the Mathematician/Calculator class completely from the player's job tree because it's broken as hell, replacing it with Sage, a class that uses various high-level, previously enemy-only spells (you can still find enemy Mathematicians later on, but they're unrecruitable).

Correct! I am unsure if there are still enemy calculators though. I did make it to the final battle on a previous version (we're talking 6 or 7 years ago mind you), but never did the Deep Dungeon. Also I could never beat the final boss so I have a bit of a vendetta against this game haha.

Anyways I decided to do a basic rundown of the mechanics anyways. I'll probably do one more like it that covers more 1.3 specific details, but I'd prefer to keep these separate from the main videos to save on time, as well as for those who would rather see the changes as they happen. Also I'll have a real update tomorrow for anyone who cares! I'll be up front, I can probably do the next 3 battles in my sleep, but from the fourth on things should get more interesting. You know the battle I'm talking about :] and then from what I can remember it pretty much never stops.

You know, I WOTL was a game I really wanted back in the day when I had a PSP. If you can live with the slowdown it's still great, and I did always want to try those new battles they added. What killed it for me is the re-translation. Maybe I'm just getting old (22 is the new 60 don't you know) but there's just something weird about the whole "Wherefore art thou Alma" style writing that just rubbed me the wrong way. Also Algus's new name is Argus Thadofolus which is somehow, impossibly, makes me hate him even more.

And yeah, calculator is out completely. I never really used it back in the day because like you said, and I can't believe I can say this, math is way too OP.

Never played Dissidia but always really wanted to. Is it PS Vita? I may pick it up if it's not, or see if I can snag a PStv at some point.

I didn't mind the writing, but I'm an Englishman who took acting in secondary school at the time I was playing the game so what do I know, I clearly like artsy crap, plus I'd never played the original game, I had VII like 90% of other people, and again, live in Northern England where no one cares we exist and getting games is near impossible (My game didn't even get 1 copy of the fates special edition to put in context, they always have to get things like that brought in from other stores)

The Arithmagician was OP as hell but thats maths, clearly he did statistics and got an A*.

Thinking about it everyone could just get the mobile version of WOTL since it doesn't have the slowdown and may have different writing (dont hold me to that)

Dissida and Dissidia 012 Duodecim are PSP games 012 been the ultra ex hyper mega ultra remix & knuckles version, so get 012 if you do invest in them, They weren't expensive, like £10 so what, $7-8?

Part 2 is up! I'd like to put these out faster but no joke, I spent a total of 6 hours between rendering and uploading/processing so it's definitely a work in progress to say the least. At least in the time it took I threw together the most appropriate title card I could think of. It's the little things, really.

I didn't mind the writing, but I'm an Englishman who took acting in secondary school at the time I was playing the game so what do I know, I clearly like artsy crap, plus I'd never played the original game, I had VII like 90% of other people, and again, live in Northern England where no one cares we exist and getting games is near impossible (My game didn't even get 1 copy of the fates special edition to put in context, they always have to get things like that brought in from other stores)

The Arithmagician was OP as hell but thats maths, clearly he did statistics and got an A*.

Thinking about it everyone could just get the mobile version of WOTL since it doesn't have the slowdown and may have different writing (dont hold me to that)

Fair enough. I don't mind Shakespearean writing necessarily, but I remember this game a certain way. It wouldn't be the same game to me without l i t t l e m o n e y and stuff like that. I can admit that the translation probably could have used a touch up, but it's almost unrecognizable. If you've never played the original it probably doesn't matter though, and I'm sure the PSP/IOS version is just as good when it gets down to it.

My heart goes out to you for the whole PAL gamer thing. You guys get screwed pretty badly, from what I understand.

Dissida and Dissidia 012 Duodecim are PSP games 012 been the ultra ex hyper mega ultra remix & knuckles version, so get 012 if you do invest in them, They weren't expensive, like £10 so what, $7-8?

Lmfao I don't know why, but that & knuckles bit killed me dude. That's good to know, very cheap for sure. I'm not exactly terrible or great at fighting games but there's something novel about these compilation fighting games I like. And Final Fantasy II/IV was one of my first games ever so yeah, I love me some Final Fantasy.

Edited by Deltre

My heart goes out to you for the whole PAL gamer thing. You guys get screwed pretty badly, from what I understand.

Oh didn't we just, So many games I only played recently since they never got a PAL release at all, Earthbound been one of them...

Lmfao I don't know why, but that & knuckles bit killed me dude. That's good to know, very cheap for sure. I'm not exactly terrible or great at fighting games but there's something novel about these compilation fighting games I like. And Final Fantasy II/IV was one of my first games ever so yeah, I love me some Final Fantasy.

Because it's & Knuckles, and IV not to sound harsh but the II for IV and III for VI need to die, they really make it hard to find information on the actual II and III. And as a Fighting game Dissidia is far from the norm since it's is 3D and you have 12 attacks really, it's pretty simple.

Part 3 is now up, in which we meet the best character in the world! Also, I'm using a different set-up for this one and probably every subsequent video since it's just outright better. I found an old mic laying around so the sound quality should be a bit better, and more importantly, I'm not hunched up over a horrible laptop mic making it both difficult to play and speak clearly. Seriously, the way I had things before were so ridiculous you'd wonder why I even bothered trying to record.

Also I'd like an opinion on the editing style I used for this one. I've gotten more used to recording so the commentary isn't nearly as cringey now that I'm feeling a bit more comfortable. I stand by some of it, but hey, I'm not so self indulgent that I can't admit nerves definitely hurt the quality here. Mostly I want to know if people mind my cutting out repetitive actions/grindy bits once the fight is for all intents and purposes over, as well as long periods where I'm just thinking. I feel that what I did improves the watchability a ton, especially when I'm just waiting around for crystals and such. Don't worry, all boss fights will be bigger, longer, and completely uncircumcised; there's no save scumming here. Hell, not even any fast forwarding (on my end, I may or may not speed through gameplay post recording if it gets ridiculous). But I just can't see making people watch me bash my own units over the head for 15 minutes straight or whatever. Even if SOME units deserve it more so than others.

Oh didn't we just, So many games I only played recently since they never got a PAL release at all, Earthbound been one of them...

Because it's & Knuckles, and IV not to sound harsh but the II for IV and III for VI need to die, they really make it hard to find information on the actual II and III. And as a Fighting game Dissidia is far from the norm since it's is 3D and you have 12 attacks really, it's pretty simple.

Ouch, my condolences. I get where you're coming from. I've played just about every FF under the sun by this point, so I know the official numbering, but when I was playing FF4 at 3-4 years old it was FF2. Habits die hard lol.

but when I was playing FF4 at 3-4 years old it was FF2. Habits die hard lol.

I understand that, And Square themselves don't help sometimes since the Wii shop versions were II and III, Because apparently title changes take too long, and just changing the name on the e-shop was too hard (Sarcasm).

Have a two for one update with Part 4 and Part 5. Sweegy was easy peasy. Dorter was...slightly less so. A lot less so.

Okay Dorter was hard.

I understand that, And Square themselves don't help sometimes since the Wii shop versions were II and III, Because apparently title changes take too long, and just changing the name on the e-shop was too hard (Sarcasm).

Doesn't help that they've since released versions with the proper names either :p on Nintendo consoles no less.

Meh. Agrias is pretty mediocre in this tbh. Magic spikes way too hard in Ch.2 and Ch.3 of 1.3 for Agrias to really have much use. The global changes to sword skills costing MP and being able to miss really works her over. If she could wear clothes in her Holy Knight class, I'd give her a pass, but as it stands, having to have equip sword to use her skills in any class but Geomancer -- a class that wants Magic Attack Up instead of Concentrate or Attack Up makes for a rather lackluster unit.

If you seriously plan on beating this, I recommend you get Dancer for your females ASAP so they can get move + 3, because Dancer is pretty shit in Ch.4.

Yeah, it's removed. There are no enemy Calculators in the story, but I know earlier versions had them as random encounter enemies.

Edited by Augestein

Meh. Agrias is pretty mediocre in this tbh. Magic spikes way too hard in Ch.2 and Ch.3 of 1.3 for Agrias to really have much use. The global changes to sword skills costing MP and being able to miss really works her over. If she could wear clothes in her Holy Knight class, I'd give her a pass, but as it stands, having to have equip sword to use her skills in any class but Geomancer -- a class that wants Magic Attack Up instead of Concentrate or Attack Up makes for a rather lackluster unit.

If you seriously plan on beating this, I recommend you get Dancer for your females ASAP so they can get move + 3, because Dancer is pretty shit in Ch.4.

Yeah, it's removed. There are no enemy Calculators in the story, but I know earlier versions had them as random encounter enemies.

Interesting to know. I have played 1.3 before years and years ago, but I mostly just like Agrias because Agrias. I seem to remember a certain other swordskiller being much much worse, because he didn't even have the good sense to be female. There are a few things I could think of that might make Agrias usable, but you're probably right in that it might take some work. My main issue with her is the same one that I have in vanilla, in that she has almost no JP for this point in the game, and specials cannot go on propositions for whatever reason.

And I haven't been showing it, but I have slowly been working towards Dancer/Bard with propositions :]

Interesting to know. I have played 1.3 before years and years ago, but I mostly just like Agrias because Agrias. I seem to remember a certain other swordskiller being much much worse, because he didn't even have the good sense to be female. There are a few things I could think of that might make Agrias usable, but you're probably right in that it might take some work. My main issue with her is the same one that I have in vanilla, in that she has almost no JP for this point in the game, and specials cannot go on propositions for whatever reason.

And I haven't been showing it, but I have slowly been working towards Dancer/Bard with propositions :]

I like Agrias too. It's just that you'll be using her as a generic for most of the game as Holy Sword got nerfed as well. Stasis Sword for instance is no stronger than a regular attack now, so unless you're going for a Stop proc or AoE, there's no reason to not use Split Punch over it. Orlandu is pretty mediocre as well, but at least he comes with Night Sword, Dark Sword, Power Ruin and Mind Ruin. It's not great, but he can debuff and keep his MP topped without having to use a secondary or rely on other people to keep him going. But yeah, females rule in this game as the PA advantages are nullified by the perfumes.

Good. Although I'll say this: Bard is actually a really solid class in 1.3. In fact, it's so good that I recommend actually having one or two (no joke). Life Song and Angel Song CT fixes are enough to make this class pretty solid for Ch.2 and Ch.3, and Battle/Magic Song are good enough for Ch.4. I'm going to keep an eye on this now because it's fun to see other people play, and I'm slowly wrapping up my own 1.3 playthrough (not doing the final boss however, it's too poorly designed for my tastes).

I like Agrias too. It's just that you'll be using her as a generic for most of the game as Holy Sword got nerfed as well. Stasis Sword for instance is no stronger than a regular attack now, so unless you're going for a Stop proc or AoE, there's no reason to not use Split Punch over it. Orlandu is pretty mediocre as well, but at least he comes with Night Sword, Dark Sword, Power Ruin and Mind Ruin. It's not great, but he can debuff and keep his MP topped without having to use a secondary or rely on other people to keep him going. But yeah, females rule in this game as the PA advantages are nullified by the perfumes.

Good. Although I'll say this: Bard is actually a really solid class in 1.3. In fact, it's so good that I recommend actually having one or two (no joke). Life Song and Angel Song CT fixes are enough to make this class pretty solid for Ch.2 and Ch.3, and Battle/Magic Song are good enough for Ch.4. I'm going to keep an eye on this now because it's fun to see other people play, and I'm slowly wrapping up my own 1.3 playthrough (not doing the final boss however, it's too poorly designed for my tastes).

Oh god, the final boss. I could probably go on for hours about all the things I didn't like about that, but she was 1) Lv99 and 2) I was a savescumming cheater back in the day so I probably wasn't all that skilled to begin with. No savestate nonsense now of course, but I'm still dreading Chapter 4, and I can only imagine how it's been updated. I'll be very interested to see if she's more tolerable than I remember. Glad to have more people watching though haha, we're getting to my favorite parts of the game [Ch2 End-Ch3/4 Beginning] here pretty soon.

Also gonna drop Part 14, in which I take on Lolgorand.

No seriously, 7 on 5?

Oh god, the final boss. I could probably go on for hours about all the things I didn't like about that, but she was 1) Lv99 and 2) I was a savescumming cheater back in the day so I probably wasn't all that skilled to begin with. No savestate nonsense now of course, but I'm still dreading Chapter 4, and I can only imagine how it's been updated. I'll be very interested to see if she's more tolerable than I remember. Glad to have more people watching though haha, we're getting to my favorite parts of the game [Ch2 End-Ch3/4 Beginning] here pretty soon.

Also gonna drop Part 14, in which I take on Lolgorand.

No seriously, 7 on 5?

So could I. I actually refuse to finish it because of how awful it is. As of the final patch, she's actually not much better. ALL CT-Reducing skills have been removed from the game so you can't use things like Persuade or Return 2 to prevent Altima from going, and the second form of Altima still has All-Ultima using the self-destruct formula -- which essentially means that if she uses it 6x in a row you die. She still has Terror so she can turn you into chickens which wastes your turns, and finally, she still has the ridiculous multipliers on speed growth and concentrate on her first form (meaning that evasion is pretty much completely worthless on the final fight). She's not necessarily level 99, the issue is that Altima is Party Level + 25, so if you enter the final stretch and reach 74, she's level 99. So basically, if you reach 74, just grind to 99, as while the levels don't help you much, there's no reason NOT to have the extra stats. Also, I recommend getting a Bard for the final boss to speed up the boss. If you don't you'll be there for about 4 to 5+ hours fighting the boss.

Execution site is one of my favorite fights in the game to be honest. The enemies are setup in a way that puts you in a bad spot, and status effect usage reigns king here for either side.

Execution site is one of my favorite fights in the game to be honest. The enemies are setup in a way that puts you in a bad spot, and status effect usage reigns king here for either side.

Oh I like it too, for a lot of the reasons you listed. I certainly like it more than The Gate of Lionel; even though it's a similar idea the Execution Site is...executed far better because of the terrain. Rydia killed it with her Oracle skillset in Golgorond, even if only for Silence Song, but Lionel Castle is very much a DPS race in my experience, which doesn't leave as much room for strategy.

Speaking of, Part 15. It's been real, Chapter 2. I talk a little bit more about the design philosophy of this hack in this one, it might be worth checking out for those interested in this patch. I elaborate a fair bit and try not to spoil anything we haven't seen yet. You know, since I have damn near 40 minutes to do so because Queklain has a ton of HP.

In the next one we most likely encounter the source of my frustration. Should be good.

• 2 weeks later...