Tips for "Merciless" Difficulty

Icey Azoth

So I never played Shadow Dragon, but I have played the first FE so I am familiar with the levels and characters(for the most part).I am just looking for general tips that will make my life easier. I don't want to boss abuse or anything like that.If there also any mechanics that I should look out for that might also be nice to know. Just an FYI I am on Chapter 2 and have focused on leveling Marth, Cain , and Abel.

I know the difficulties as Normal, followed by H1-H5, depending on the stars.

Chapters 1-3 are pretty painful, then you get the unit select screen, which makes things a lot less headache-inducing. I'm not sure how much you've trained Jagen's sword rank, but if he's up to C, he can do. . .things with Navarre's Killing Edge. Use the save points well, especially on Chapter 3. And pick up that Devil Axe, there's a couple of places where it's useful.

Abuse effective weaponry. Forge Marth's rapier, Shiida's wing spear and any other effective weapons that will see a lot of use (like the knight killer) as soon as you get a chance to; it's possible to beat the game without doing so, but being able to one-shot the most annoying enemies helps a great deal.

Also note that past the earlygame, barely any enemies use axes, so swords will almost never see WTA.

I know the difficulties as Normal, followed by H1-H5, depending on the stars.

Merciless is H5. Edited by Scarlet

Out of the units you get early on, in addition to the ones you've already mentioned, Ogma, Barst and Merric are very reliable units.

Wolf and Sedgar are also worth a look, as they start out promoted with deceptively bad base stats but have the highest growths in the game by a ridiculously large margin. If you reclass them to generals, getting them up to par isn't too difficult, and they'll quickly become some of your best units. Sedgar in particular tends to be unmatched in any of his physical classes.

Wolf and Sedgar aside, reclassing is a nice bonus, but not really important. Most units do just fine in their default class, although some (mainly early promoted units like Jagen) can offer utility well beyond their normal limits if you play around with reclassing a little, mainly because the promoted class bases in this game are so high.

Edited by Scarlet

I reccomend saving at least one warp staff use and one use of a thoron tome for the final map. Why? If you forge thoron to have 17-20 might, and 20+ crit, with a mage who's magic is 21-capped, let's say that... Medius won't like electricity.

Keep in mind though, this costs a ton of money. You can also do this with a blizzard tome, but you will need to get the forged might to 16, which is the max might for blizzard. Same crit, 20+, and don't bother with hit or weight in this game.

My final tip, is to forge an Iron Sword for 7400 gold. In SD's standards, this is cheap. Forge it to have 11 might, and 15 crit. It will help in those situations where you need just enough damage to do chip or finish off a boss. It's not the best, but it works.

Edited by Lord Tullus

I reccomend saving at least one warp staff use and one use of a thoron tome for the final map. Why? If you forge thoron to have 17-20 might, and 20+ crit, with a mage who's magic is 21-capped, let's say that... Medius won't like electricity.

Keep in mind though, this costs a ton of money. You can also do this with a blizzard tome, but you will need to get the forged might to 16, which is the max might for blizzard. Same crit, 20+, and don't bother with hit or weight in this game.

My final tip, is to forge an Iron Sword for 7400 gold. In SD's standards, this is cheap. Forge it to have 11 might, and 15 crit. It will help in those situations where you need just enough damage to do chip or finish off a boss. It's not the best, but it works.

Thanks for the advice, I am doing fine so far. I am currently on chapter 10 and am having blast thus far(with a few speedbumps early on). And don't worry, I only warp when I have to.I am surprised people dislike this game to be honest, it's really fun.

+4 Might +12 crit Thoron costs 21.000 Gold and a +9 Might +15 crit Blizzard only marginally less at 20.700 Gold.

Why not just make a light +3 Might Wyrmslayer forge (3.600 Gold), warp SM!Caeda (or anyone else who hits 30 Spd as SM) to ORKO the Manakete and warp->Aum->warp with Tiki for the Medeus kill? Caeda might need a Seraph Robe or two but they cost 1.250 Gold post Silvercard. One could also purchase a few Secret books for Tiki to improve the 40ish% total success chance but that's optional.

As for advice: You get 21 Warp staff uses total (28 with Gaidens) so use it whenever you see fit but make sure to not break any Warp staffs since you get a Hammerne in C20. Forge mainly effective weaponry (Wingspear, Rapier, Ridersbane etc.) since the forge effects are tripled.

+4 Might +12 crit Thoron costs 21.000 Gold and a +9 Might +15 crit Blizzard only marginally less at 20.700 Gold.

Why not just make a light +3 Might Wyrmslayer forge (3.600 Gold), warp SM!Caeda (or anyone else who hits 30 Spd as SM) to ORKO the Manakete and warp->Aum->warp with Tiki for the Medeus kill? Caeda might need a Seraph Robe or two but they cost 1.250 Gold post Silvercard. One could also purchase a few Secret books for Tiki to improve the 40ish% total success chance but that's optional.

As for advice: You get 21 Warp staff uses total (28 with Gaidens) so use it whenever you see fit but make sure to not break any Warp staffs since you get a Hammerne in C20. Forge mainly effective weaponry (Wingspear, Rapier, Ridersbane etc.) since the forge effects are tripled.

Because forging a blizard or Thoron tome can kill medius in one hit, and requires less RNG (unless tiki is trained).

And a lot of money to me is around 20000 because I want to save it all and forge grand weapons. Derp.

Because forging a blizard or Thoron tome can kill medius in one hit, and requires less RNG (unless tiki is trained).

And a lot of money to me is around 20000 because I want to save it all and forge grand weapons. Derp.

No, base Level Tiki with a Lightsphere has 86% Hit. 92% Hit with the three C21 Secret Books and most likely 100% if you actually train her(80% Skl growth and 90% Lck).

Let's say we didn't bother training her and just gave base Level Tiki 3 Secret books: 0.92^2=0.8464-> ~85% success chance.

A Sage with capped Skl, Lightsphere and a 22 crit Thoron has 36% crit and 100% Hit. 36% success chance if we don't Aum->warp; ~59% if we do.

To summarize:

The first strategy requires 5 statboosters(6250 G) and a +3 Wyrmslayer (3600 G) and has a reliability gap from 85% to 100%.

The second strategy requires a +4 Might, +12 crit Thoron (21.000Gold) and has a maximum reliability of 59%.

Tiki is still more reliable and cost effective without the Lightsphere.

I don't want to sound condescending but I think just throwing Tiki at him is the best option.

I don't want to sound condescending but I think just throwing Tiki at him is the best option.

I see your point, and I agree that it is the best option. I just think that forging a tome gets the job done faster, if I just want to get it over with. Because that's what it felt like with Merciless mode. I just... stopped caring for the last 3 chapters.

I ended up using Caeda to clear the dragon in front of Mediuth(Used 2 charges of my geo sphere to weaken the dragon a bit). Afterwards I sent Tiki at him(RIP) and then finished him off with Marth.I used the crap out of warp once I got the Hammerne staff(I miss this staff so much) which made the last few chapters a lot of fun.I took me around 19 hours to beat and I had a few casualties but hey what can you do? Anyways thanks for all the help guys, your tips helped a lot.