Yggdra Union LTC

ruadath

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaRQIiRnzZu-OjR3QeZinTtmIebyhU5R6

[spoiler=Turn Counts]Battlefield 1 (4 turns)
Battlefield 2 (5 turns)
Battlefield 3 (16 turns)
Battlefield 4 (7 turns)
Battlefield 5 (2 turns)

Battlefield 6 (5 turns)

Battlefield 7 (7 turns)

Battlefield 8 (13 turns)

Total: 59 turns

Stub topic for my LTC playthrough of Yggdra Union (which I will flesh out in more detail later). I've got to say, it's quite a bit different from LTCing a Fire Emblem game, due to the complex nature of the battle mechanics and such, and I've had some fun with it. Meeting benchmarks to "ORKO" enemies is super difficult though...

Enjoy the playthrough if you're a fan of Yggdra, and if not, I highly encourage you to try out the game (perhaps on the PSP version for better graphics + voiced cutscenes).

Edited by ruadath

IT DEPENDS~!

Absolute LTC - play the Japanese GBA version, and abuse a certain chapter's glitch.

Actual LTC - Probably GBA, due to a smaller party size

Full recruitment and chapter LTC (which is a goddamn oxymoron) - PSP

I like PSP's mechanics more, but certain things were nerfed, IIRC (don't remember off the top of my head, but the extra army size does hinder certain strategies). The calculations for morale damage are different on the PSP version, which is why speed-running it is a bit more difficult.

Edited by eggclipse

Are you talking about the units standing in the same spot glitch (saves 4 turns in Battlefield 3)? Or something else?

Mountain glitch. Don't remember the exact trigger details, but I'm pretty sure it allows for completion of B16ish in far less than 35 turns.

OK, time to start giving a proper playlog:

Battlefield 1

Standard clear, picking up the item and feeding all the kills to Milanor in 4 turns. It's important to start getting some Pow for Steal, since it needs to meet a benchmark of ~1520 in order to save a turn at the end of Battlefield 4.

Steal: 1080 Pow

Mind Change: 1420 Pow

Battlefield 2

We get Revolution at the end of the last map, and it will be one of our most important cards since it has a combination of high Mov and high starting Pow. The video is slightly outdated; I ended up using Steal instead of Revolution on the first turn and Revolution instead of Mind Change of the next turn. I need to have a card reach a benchmark of 1720 Pow next map to ORKO Aegina with a crit... originally I thought only Mind Change could do that, but it turns out that it is just barely possible for Revolution to get there. Also, on the final EP, I purposely leave Yggdra in danger (she loses to the invincible boss) in order to get her some precious EXP.

Steal: 1160 Pow

Revolution: 1420 Pow

Mind Change: 1420 Pow

Battlefield 3

Completed in 16 turns, 1 shorter than the TAS, by setting up Revolution to be high enough power for Durant to crit-kill Aegina. Again, the video is outdated in that it uses Mind Change/Revolution instead of Revolution/Steal, but the strat remains identical, so I didn't bother rerecording. Steal needs to get trained here so I can use it to save a turn in the next map.

Steal: 1400 Pow

Revolution: 1888 Pow

Mind Change: 1432 Pow

Battlefield 4

Now this is quite an interesting chapter. At first glance it seems that you can't do any better than 9 turns; the generic bosses are too tanky to be killed in one round of combat, so you need two player phases (3 turns) for each of the three segments of this map. However, the last segment can be 1-turned by setting up a 3-person union to attack the boss twice! In order to have movement to complete the map on the same turn, we need at least 11 Mov, which means that Steal needs to be used. A pretty fun clear to map out, since I wasn't expecting to bring my whole party forward originally. Hope you enjoy!

Steal: 1595 Pow

Revolution: 2150 Pow

Thankfully I can record this like a TAS, and since the RNG advances with every frame in this game, rigging things isn't really that difficult at all (even critical hits usually require at most ~100 frames/RNs to be burned), so I can just record in one pass. I do try and make the playthrough "look" natural though, because I feel it's more pleasant to view than seeing everything happen at max speed (in a non speed-run context, of course).

I'd like to get hype about this but I expect it to die around BF 11.

Also I'm sad you're not doing PSP if only because you can speed battles up lol, plus it has hard mode! (actually, does GBA? I forget)

Also, if you're getting into the nitty gritty of things, can you confirm or deny that defensive to say, 20% then aggresive back to 0% is equal/worse/better than letting the battles play out?

Edited by Irysa

Well, given my current record of completing things, that wouldn't be too surprising

PSP hard mode = GBA difficulty (as far as I'm aware). You can't speed up battles on the GBA, but PSP has much worse "TAS" capabilities, so doing this would be significantly more painful.

Regarding the last point, I think it's true for people like Milanor/Durant, although usually if I need a "safety net" to win it's easier just to rig a crit. One thing I can confirm, however, is that this is not helpful for situations where you have someone like Yggdra charging into cavs/undines, because while you're going passive, Ygddra's units are getting killed off so she's doing less damage even when you do go aggressive.

Battlefield 5

Not too much to say here... this map is completed in 2 turns, with all enemies killed and all drops obtained (including that very nice Ice Javelin). Revolution takes all the Pow here, because it needs to reach a high benchmark for the first turn of the next chapter.

Steal: 1595 Pow

Revolution: 2390 Pow

Battlefield 6

Cleared in 5 turns thanks to a Nietzsche crit at the beginning of the chapter. In addition, all of the droppable items (Kill Blade, Gale Bow, Stell Persona) are obtained. If necessary, the last turn can be redone using Steal to get the card more Power (in addition to some EXP for Durant), at the cost of Stell Persona (which isn't really a great item anyway). But I think things will be fine for the next chapter.

Steal: 1871

Revolution: 2703

Hey hey, this looks good. You don't see much Yggdra Union stuff nowadays, or ever I guess. It must be interesting routing this stuff because unlike in Fire Emblem, enemy phase is a turn, so you gotta make very effective plays to minimize how many there are. I mean Fire Emblem LTC does the same thing, but it's different. You know what I mean?

Also yeah Stell Persona sucks. Evade Panic is a useless ability because first of all, it only happens when you get crit, so it doesn't see use often, and secondly you're generally still screwed because you're lacking the head unit so you can't go aggressive, and if you do somehow manage the win that fight, you aren't getting that standard Head Alive 40% morale damage bonus.

Hey thanks for the support! Yeah, this is pretty different from FE LTC, especially because of the card system and the difficulty of effectively killing enemies because of that. Things have beenh pretty intense in terms of planning for now, but I feel like there is a strong possibility that midlate ga me might devolve into Durant crit ORKOING bosses with a 6k power card.

No one will ever critical me because of RNG manipulation so Stell Persona is even worse here.

No one will ever critical me because of RNG manipulation so Stell Persona is even worse here.

True. But even in casual play it's pretty much worthless outside of giving Elena some morale.

Hey hey, this looks good. You don't see much Yggdra Union stuff nowadays, or ever I guess. It must be interesting routing this stuff because unlike in Fire Emblem, enemy phase is a turn, so you gotta make very effective plays to minimize how many there are. I mean Fire Emblem LTC does the same thing, but it's different. You know what I mean?

Also yeah Stell Persona sucks. Evade Panic is a useless ability because first of all, it only happens when you get crit, so it doesn't see use often, and secondly you're generally still screwed because you're lacking the head unit so you can't go aggressive, and if you do somehow manage the win that fight, you aren't getting that standard Head Alive 40% morale damage bonus.

Let's not forget the part where Elena can't even counter, which means Evade Panic is even less helpful than it already is.

How can I tell if an enemy has "Protect" status? Apparently Ishiene has it up until the end of her first turn; this doesn't cause me to lose any turns, but it surprised me and I had to alter my strategy a bit, so I'd like to know how to anticipate that for the future. Does Emelone have Protect status?

Battlefield 7

Completed in 7 turns. One would think that 6 would be possible by killing Emelone on her enemy phase, but she won't attack Durant unless he doesn't have anyone in a union with him, and it's impossible to get Revolution!Durant strong enough to take her out in 2 rounds of combat in the context of this playthrough. With the one extra turn, I'm able to kill everything on the map and get every single drop (including the Brave Ring and Gungnir). I set things up so that Durant would get the MVP Bonus since Milanor is already at 5 Atk stars, and Durant can now get to 4 stars if I give him the Ice Javelin (I'll probably hold off on that, however).

Steal: 1959 Pow

Revolution: 3175 Pow

Milanor's extra Atk star was ridiculously OP and pretty unnecessary for the last chapter, so I'm probably going to redo it bringing in a bonus to Tec from the previous chapter; this will keep Milanor's Tec at 3 stars even after he loses the Silver Moon, which will allow me to Steal the Lucky Broom of Rosary.

Battlefield 8

13 turns. Can't be done any faster because you have to wait until Roswell uses his Ankh before Russell loses his Protect status.

EDIT: I forgot to list out the Card strengths

Steal: 2238 Pow

Revolution: 3376 Pow

Edited by ruadath

How can I tell if an enemy has "Protect" status? Apparently Ishiene has it up until the end of her first turn; this doesn't cause me to lose any turns, but it surprised me and I had to alter my strategy a bit, so I'd like to know how to anticipate that for the future. Does Emelone have Protect status?

You can't. That said, 9 times out of 10, if an enemy has Morale Protect, it's because of plot reasons.

Is there an enemy in the middle of nowhere that seems like they have a role in the story? If yes, they probably have protect.

I don't remember if Leon's knights in B16 (or whenever you first see Emilia) have Protect in this one. I think they had it in the PSP version, which made things a lot more irritating. As for the Ice Javelin, I'd save it for a certain BF where you have to run from a bunch of Dragon Knights. Being able to ORKO them with Blizzard makes things much less irritating.

If we get to vote on which mage, I vote for Roswell, due to night warping and requiring less rigging to be useful.

Is there an enemy in the middle of nowhere that seems like they have a role in the story? If yes, they probably have protect.

I don't remember if Leon's knights in B16 (or whenever you first see Emilia) have Protect in this one. I think they had it in the PSP version, which made things a lot more irritating. As for the Ice Javelin, I'd save it for a certain BF where you have to run from a bunch of Dragon Knights. Being able to ORKO them with Blizzard makes things much less irritating.

If we get to vote on which mage, I vote for Roswell, due to night warping and requiring less rigging to be useful.

Those knights were outright invincible in the GBA version, iirc (at least until you give Eudy the boot). Edited by Levant Mir Celestia