Rate (and rank!) my Path of Radiance Team!

Irony

So, I'm on Chapter 19, and I want to know how my party are doing average stat wise, and to know which ones are the best and which ones are the worst in your opinion. Every one hit level 20. For those who saw my previous thread on the forum, I have decided not to use Rhys and I did use Astrid in the end.

So, here we go:

Ike:

Level 2 Lord

37 HP

16 Strength

7 Magic

21 Skill

22 Speed

12 Luck

20 Defence

10 Resistence

Jill:

Level 2 Wyvern Lord

35 HP

18 Strength

3 Magic

16 Skill

17 Speed

9 Luck

15 Defence

7 Resistence

Oscar:

Level 2 Paladin (Bows Secondary Weapon)

36 HP

17 Strength

9 Magic

19 Skill

16 Speed

12 Luck

15 Defence

9 Resistance

Boyd:

Level 2 Warrior

46 HP

18 Strength

3 Magic

17 Skill

16 Speed (+1 Speedwing)

10 Luck

16 Defence

8 Resistance

Nephenee:

Level 2 Harberdeir

33 HP

12 Strength

5 Magic

18 Skill

23 Speed

9 Luck

16 Defence

7 Resistance

Ilyana:

Level 2 Mage (Staffs selected)

33 HP

6 Strength

15 Magic

18 Skill

17 Speed

13 Luck

9 Defence

21 Resistance

Rolf:

Level 2 Sniper

34 HP

16 Strength

7 Magic

19 Skill

20 Speed

12 Luck

12 Defence

9 Resistance

Astrid:

Level 2 Paladin (Axes chosen)

36 HP

17 Strength

13 Magic

19 Skill

20 Speed

15 Luck

18 Defence

13 Resitance

Mia:

Level 2 Swordsmaster

41 HP (+1 Seraph Robe)

13 Strength

7 Magic

19 Skill

22 Speed

14 Luck

9 Defence

6 Resistance

Gatrie:

Level 2 General

41 HP

23 Strength

2 Magic

17 Skill

8 Speed (Poor guy!)

9 Luck

22 Defence

8 Resistance

Soren:

Level 2 Sage (Staffs chosen)

31 HP

2 Strength

22 Magic

21 Skill

21 Speed

11 Luck

9 Defence

20 Resistance

Mist:

Level 1 Valkyrie

31 HP

8 Strength (+1 Energy Drop)

20 Magic

12 Skill

17 Speed

20 Luck

6 Defence

19 Resistance.

You could check your units for yourself.

very short summary

• Ike: low strength but very high defense; everything else looks normal to me
  • Jill looks fine overall
  • Oscar has good defense, everything else looks ok
  • Boyd looks fine overall
  • Nephenee has an awful strength
  • Ilyana's speed > magic ?!? she looks fine, but her magic could be better
  • Rolf looks fine overall
  • Astrid looks really good
  • Mia's typical (her low strength and defense are normal)
  • Gatrie's slow indeed (give him the knight shield Astrid got because it increases the speed growth)
  • Soren is OP
  • Mist's typical; actually even worse (Imo I never would invest energy drops in her because her combatpower is too bad. The best way to make use of her is to give both arms scrolls to her at once to let her use sonic swords immediately. She's only good in combat with magical swords.)

Also Mia is best magic sword user.

Edited by Ayama Wirdo

>not using Rhys in Physic Emblem

lol

Can't imagine using that many low level units. I'm guessing you're on normal mode.

I am indeed. Not brave enough to try out Hard Mode.

I do have some strategies for level grinding (mainly involving Ena and Chapter 21) so hopefully they'll all reach max level and have the stats transferred into Radiant Dawn. The rankings are for the "what if that isn't possible" scenario.

(And before you ask, I love level grinding and so it wouldn't be tedious for me?)

And Rhys just fell behind... By six levels. Kinda knew it would be difficult to get him back up there, so I gave up.

• Mist's typical; actually even worse (Imo I never would invest energy drops in her because her combatpower is too bad. The best way to make use of her is to give both arms scrolls to her at once to let her use sonic swords immediately. She's only good in combat with magical swords.)

I usually just give Mist a forged Iron Sword, and have it, not so she can attack, but just so she can counter-attack if she's within enemy range on enemy phase. I think blowing both Arms Scrolls on her is a waste. I like using them on Mages, since I like full elemental coverage, and weapon XP takes forever to build in PoR.

I think blowing both Arms Scrolls on her is a waste. I like using them on Mages, since I like full elemental coverage, and weapon XP takes forever to build in PoR.

Honestly no one else does really need them.

If you focus Soren and Ilyana on magic, they'll reach maximum tome level (Soren only needs A anyways) without problems.

As I said, it doesn't mean that I normally do it, it's just the easiest way to make Mist useful in combat at once. I usually only use her for healing and nothing else.

Ike, Mia and especially Tanith aren't too bad magic sword users either.

Honestly no one else does really need them.

If you focus Soren and Ilyana on magic, they'll reach maximum tome level (Soren only needs A anyways) without problems.

As I said, it doesn't mean that I normally do it, it's just the easiest way to make Mist useful in combat at once. I usually only use her for healing and nothing else.

Ike, Mia and especially Tanith aren't too bad magic sword users either.

I pretty much use a maximum of two mages max, so I need at least one of them to use more than one school of magic, which take forever to level. I like getting every school to at least level C, and want them to reach it before endgame, so I can use the good tomes, especially the siege tomes. I find that better than making Mist marginally more useful. The magic swords are extremely limited, and I like using them on sword-locked characters to give them at least some form of ranged combat, and if Mist is using only the Magic swords, she's going to run out of weapon uses very quickly.

Funnily enough, in my latest playthrough Mist capped Strength and had higher Strength than Ike, until she capped, and the only reason that Ike surpassed her eventually was that she was stuck at her woefully low Strength cap, and I gave Ike an Energy Drop.

... I just used both Arm Scrolls on her.... She's become my most reliable Wyvern Lord killer as a result.

Don't worry, you can play however you like, and Mist is a decent enough unit. She just requires either being RNG blessed or boosters to be optimal.

Edited by Rezzy

Actually you don't need train the mages in multiple magic types until they've classchanged.After promotion they have weapon level D automatically.

And I highly recommend to bring one element to maximum level first to have early access to the A / S tome.

What does it bring if Soren has weapon level B in wind and C in the other two?

He still couldn't use tornado. The best tomes would be longrange magic which are rare (except you restore them with hammerne) and superheavy.

I pretty much use a maximum of two mages max, so I need at least one of them to use more than one school of magic, which take forever to level. I like getting every school to at least level C, and want them to reach it before endgame, so I can use the good tomes, especially the siege tomes. I find that better than making Mist marginally more useful. The magic swords are extremely limited, and I like using them on sword-locked characters to give them at least some form of ranged combat, and if Mist is using only the Magic swords, she's going to run out of weapon uses very quickly.

Personally, I agree with Jules - I think trying to raise the mages' weapon ranks in magic types other than what they specialize in before promotion is unnecessary when they're brought up to D rank automatically after promoting.

A Wind forge is stronger and more accurate than Tornado, a Fire forge only loses to Bolganone in might by one point, same goes for Thunder forge / Thoron (althogh Rexbolt is a thing for the final map).

Honestly, the only tome rank that really matters is the C-Rank for long ranged tomes and maaaybe an S-Rank in thunder magic. Everything else doesn't really help outside of transfers to RD. I guess the A-Rank tomes' animations look more impressive? ;)

€: Oh man, sorry about the derail, Irony. To write something more productive: You might want to keep an eye on Ike's strength grow. He's currently at -2 and not capping that by the endgame will make things more difficult. Not unwinnable as a whole (you do play on normal, don't you?), but you might have throw an optional fight.

The Energy Ring on Mist might be somewhat of a misinvestment. In my opinion, it's usually more helpful to improve a character's strengths even further instead of trying to salvage a weakness (the one exception: use Angelic Robes to make squishy units not die to a thrown ball of yarn). Even with the ring, Mist will still not be a great fighter with non-magical swords.

Ayama Wirdo gave you a good advise for Gatrie: The Knight's Ward increases the speed growth dramatically (I think 30%).

If Mia or Nephenee have trouble one-rounding enemies, just give them some forges. Money isn't an issue.

But as a whole: Lookin' good! ;)

Edited by ping

Yeah, I stayed clear of the Derail, as I didn't know what was even going on? All I know is that my Mist can use Sonic Swords now, and that she's cool. :)

Anyways: I'm on Chapter 21, and I've begun the Level Grind. I don't have exact stats on me but:

1) Gatrie now has the Knight's Ward. He now has 10 speed! :) I also forged him a uber light and powerful iron lance (The Final Breath) so he won't have weight issues?

2) Ilyana did gain some more magic, but her speed is still higher than her magic. One small problem is that only one of her tomes can damage Ena.... And that has 20~ish uses left. :/

3) Mist is my highest level unit, and Sothe and her combined have roughly 120~ish uses of the Mend staff left. Perfect for level grinding! :) I also forged her a uber powerful iron sword (The Raging Blitz) that complements her 9-10 strength nicely.

4) I think Ike has gained strength on every single level up since. Plus I got all the treasure in Chapter 19, so I should have an Energy Drop to give to him.

5) Mia and Neph are my lowest level units I think?

6) I'm on Normal yes. :)

7) Next people who are getting forges: Mia, Neph and Ilyana (I think you can forge Tomes?)

8) Astrid is the Horsewoman of Death.

Reducing weight on Gatrie's lance wasn't necessary - your speed gets reduced for every point of weight above your strength. For example, Mist actually gained 2 effective speed through the Energy Ring when using a Sonic Sword (9 weight), but only one speed when wielding an Iron sword (7 weight - so it would have slowed her down one point if she only had 6 strength).

Or put differently, a weak unit gets slowed down by heavy weapons, but a strong unit doesn't get faster when using light weapons.

Yes, you can forge the basic tomes. That's why I don't think the A-Rank tomes (Bolganone, Tornado, Thoron) aren't that important; if you put +5 Might on a basic tome, it'll have around the same power as the A-Rank tome.

Mist with the Sonic Sword is just so much fun :) Still very squishy, but overkilling wyverns is amazing.

Edited by ping

Oh, right. :) I guess if Gatrie doesn't need it at some point, another unit can benefit from it? :)

I agree with you on the "Mist over killing Wyverns front". It's so much fun. :)

Oh, right. :) I guess if Gatrie doesn't need it at some point, another unit can benefit from it? :)

From the low weight probably not. Weight is mostly an issue at the start of the game because sooner or later, most units will be able to wield every weapon just fine. The only exception are the mages, or at least Soren (if he wants to use something else than a Wind tome) as well as post-promo Rhys and Mist.

But really, that just means you spent a bit more gold than necessary. The lance doesn't get worse from the lower weight, either, so there's really no reason to worry at all.