What are the optimal Birthright Pairings for the children?

TheGingerNinga

I'm planning on doing a child-unit only run of Birthright, so I'm wondering on what is considered the optimal pairings for making the best kids. I plan on using a Male MU, so both Dwyer and Midori won't be recruitable until after chapter 15, so they aren't considered high priority. With that in mind, what should my pairings be?

In my experience there aren't really a ton of pairings that are quantifiably BEST overall like there were with Awakening; pairings are pretty flexible for making the kids good, especially with how flexible everyone's classes are... My suggestion would be to figure out what classes you want everyone to be, and plan around that.

Off the top of my head, I know you wanna pair magical moms with magic dads (although IIRC there are more magic-based moms than dads), so....

Hayato x Orochi / Sakura

Saizo x Sakura / Felicia

My wife has a crazy-strong Sakura!Rhajat so I can attest to her usefulness.

First, what difficulty are you on?

Second, "best" is hard to say. What roles do you need on your team (physical attacker/magical attacker/staffbot/rallybot/tank/etc.)?

I like Tsubaki so...

I'd say Oboro is easily the best mom for Caeldori. A lot of people use Hinoka for that lovely red hair, but I refrain from that because I feel she's better off with someone else like Silas.

Just puttin' this in here as a little reminder that, since you're using MaMU, you're going to need to marry either Anna, Reina, Scarlet, or one of the female kids, unless you're okay with missing one of the kids (which I'd imagine you're not, seeing as you're only using them). So, that's something worth keeping in mind when planning Kana and your Avatar's Boon/Bane/Talent.

Just puttin' this in here as a little reminder that, since you're using MaMU, you're going to need to marry either Anna, Reina, Scarlet, or one of the female kids, unless you're okay with missing one of the kids (which I'd imagine you're not, seeing as you're only using them). So, that's something worth keeping in mind when planning Kana and your Avatar's Boon/Bane/Talent.

I know this. I plan on marrying one of the kids, since I have to field Corrin I figured I would keep him in the group.

Birthright's a lot more straightforward than Conquest, even on Lunatic, so. . .

- It looks like you want a magical Asugi/Rhajat, which is fine

- Mitama and Dwyer are in a strange place, since they start off as staffbots, but they have physical mods. More on them in a moment.

- Selkie can go either way

- Shiro/Kiragi are usually physical units

- Midori is, um, fast

- Caeldori's mods lend themselves to tank

- Hisame's like a less extreme version of Caeldori. Difference is that he has the ability to tank magic (somewhat).

- Shigure and Sophie don't want to be magical, though Shigure can fill the rallybot niche if you so desire

So you've got two straight magical units, four straight physical ones, one that can go either way, two that can tank, one speed demon, and two confused kids in the wrong class. Between Mitama and Dwyer, Dwyer's magical penalty is slightly less obnoxious. So, let's work backwards. . .

- You've established Hayato x Sakura and Saizo x Orochi, so I'll leave them alone

- Since Selkie doesn't care which offensive stat she uses, Felicia works for her

- Of the four physical kids, Shiro can take Kagero's speed hit the best

- Sophie's fine with her class tree, and Shigure appreciates Cavalier, so I'd pair Silas and Azura

- Hana makes a decent enough mother for Kiragi - fixes his speed, and gives him the Samurai line

- Mitama can go purely physical with Oboro as a mom, since Azama sucks at being a magical unit

- Kaze and Hinata can take one of Mozu and Setsuna. Kaze/Setsuna results in a ridiculously fast but unlucky Midori and Hinata/Mozu results in a very boring Hisame. Kaze/Mozu results in a slightly luckier but boring Midori and Hinata/Setsuna results in a Hisame that has no business being that fast. Your call.

- As much as Dwyer doesn't care for Hinoka's class or hair color, he likes her mods. Think of it as Shigure with a worse personal skill.

- That leaves Subaki and Rinkah, which gives a Caeldori with +6 Defense. Tanks!

That's one example of why it's important to figure out which kids want to fill which roles, and then building a team accordingly. I don't know if this will work for your purposes, though, so feel free to experiment!

• 1 month later...

I've found that Rinkah makes a pretty decent mom for Rhajat. Her magic growth is just high enough to not completely tank Rhajat's naturally high base Magic growth, and she gives her a lot of Skill growth, which Rhajat desperately needs. The rest of her growths are decent enough, and Rinkah's one of the moms that not many other kids are really competing for. There might be better moms that you could give to Rhajat, but they would make other kids better as well. Rinkah is a pretty crummy mom to most kids, so blowing her on Rhajat isn't something that going to hurt your eugenics anywhere else. She gives a decent Def to other kids, but her HP growth is so low that I wouldn't really recommend using her eggs if you want a tank.

TL;DR: Rhajat needs Skill and can afford the crummy offensive growth that Rinkah would give to any other kid that wouldn't be able to compensate.