Wow, people weren't kidding when they said Conquest's difficulty is brutal.

iridium137

Whenever someone calls any Fire Emblem game "hard", my instinctive reaction is to think, "they mean hard for people new to the series". But as someone with previous Fire Emblem experience (I've been playing for over a decade), surely Conquest should be no problem for me, especially if I start on normal difficulty, right? Lol NOPE.

The worst part about this was that the first few chapters (7 to 11) were indeed relatively straightforward, so I was caught off guard by the sudden difficulty increase. Even the infamous chapter 10 wasn't that bad. I guess I got cocky after beating chapter 10 on my first try and thought everything would be smooth sailing from there. Chapter 13 in particular gave me lots of trouble due to three(!) named characters with good stats, wyverns dropping armors, outlaw deincentivizing turtling, etc. I guess part of it is my own fault, because I often make it harder on myself by doing things like going out of my way to build supports, which is often tactically inconvenient.

Here's my planned team and pairings:

+Magic -Luck avatar, Monk talent
Xander x Effie
Camilla x Silas
Leo x Felicia
Kaze x Azura
Mozu x Niles
Arthur x Selena
Odin x Nyx

I plan on benching Odin and Nyx after I get Ophelia. They're both kinda awful, but I heard the kid is really good, and you get a bunch of goodies in her chapter. Everybody else is an actual team member... or so I thought.
Now I'm gonna list all the things that caught me off guard:

1. Supports take excruciatingly long to build up. I'm on chapter 16 and most of my team is still at B-rank, if even that. (I did get the S-rank with Elise though.) And this is despite me trying to go out of my way to build supports! I've been dragging Odin and Nyx through every chapter just to take some random potshots to build supports, and they're still only at A-rank. I'm at the point where the game takes off its kiddie gloves, so I don't think I can afford to drag them along anymore, so I basically did all that for no gain. But I remember seeing all those "rate my pairings" threads where EVERYBODY is paired up, even for Conquest, which gave me the impression that it was easy to build supports up. Apparently those people are grinding castle battles and stuff. Speaking of which, I'm trying to do this without using anything that requires connecting online, so no castle visits, no free DLC, and no BP/VP. The only thing "extra" that's allowed is path bonus.

2. Apparently I'm using too many people. This tends to happen on my first playthroughs, where I try to use anybody that looks halfway decent. But I thought Fates was supposed to discourage low-manning, with a steep exp dropoff curve. I thought 14 was a reasonable number of people to use, but apparently I'm wrong. Only Avatar and Elise are promoted, and everybody else is still at around level 13. I'm tempted to just bench the ENTIRE scrub brigade and just royal-stomp the rest of the game, but that seems like such a lame way to play.

3. I had to worry about crit evade of all things. Even early on, many enemies can have around 6-8 crit, while most of my team hovered around 3-5 crit evade. Whose bright idea was it to make luck give half crit evade? Because of that, basically my entire team (not just Arthur, like I originally thought) faced low percentage crits all the time. The only people with decent luck are Effie, Elise, and Felicia, who are either too squishy or too durable for it to matter. I found myself pairing up just for the +5 crit evade, until I decided to just give my entire team bronze weapons. I found myself using the Dragonstone for the +crit evade more often than for the +defense. It's funny how I used to scoff at the +5 crit evade of guard stance, and the +10 crit evade of bronze weapons. Also kinda sucks that I have to bend over backwards to worry about something that was a complete nonissue in every other FE game I've played.

4. On top of that, I also had to deal with accuracy issues. I guess I'm just too used to seeing 100% hit rates all the time, but those are rare now. On bosses and named characters, my accuracy can dip to as low as 60%, and that's with the avatar fighting them, so everybody else is probably worse. 1.5RN certainly isn't helping. While I haven't been screwed over by an untimely miss (yet), it makes me paranoid and I constantly play as if Murphy's law will strike at the worst moment.

5a. My units are... surprisingly inadequate. I know this is supposed to be hard, and I'm not supposed to be able to steamroll the enemy army solo (though my avatar can kinda do that...), but I at least expected every unit to have some kind of "unique quality". Instead, most of my units can't take more than 1-2 hits. Only Effie and Dragonstone avatar can survive most enemy assaults, and even they often need things like pairups and Elise's personal. (And I also have to be careful not to stack too much Def, because then the enemy won't take the bait.) Most of my units can't double either, nor do they even hit particularly hard. I like how in chapter 14, Keaton shows up and is instantly better than half my team that I worked hard to train.

5b. Thinking Arthur was actually good for something. I know I already talked about my units being not that great, but this guy really takes the cake. I remember watching a playthrough where some guy had an Arthur that was an unstoppable juggernaut that dished out crits left and right. My Arthur was nothing like that. Surprisingly enough, crit evade isn't even his biggest issue. His accuracy woes are even worse than the rest of my units, even with a bronze axe and removing Gamble. He's even squishier than most other units, even ignoring crit evade, and because he needs a bronze axe to survive, doesn't even hit very hard. It's like, he has all the weaknesses a character can possibly have. I guess at least he's not Odin...

... okay I've rambled on for quite a while. Anybody else feel similarly frustrated/overwhelmed? Any advice?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed ,Conquest is hard when you don't just throw nostank God Odin at maps and laugh. It's also hard when you fuck over hellmurderjusticeman Arthur by chaining him to a damn bronze axe.

JK your on nhormal

Just get to 16 and Xander will carry you.

Acc issues are only a thing if you refuse to use heartseeker/freeze/mein/think skill is not important.

Supports are pretty easy even ignoring mycastle bullshit you can easily make all the relevant kids before ch14 (dwyer,percy,ophy,soliel,nina)

Fates in no way punishes low manning.

Edited by joshcja

1. I can understand the desire to not use online capabilities but you'll probably need to if you want to get the kids in a reasonable amount of time. I say play the game normally until chapter 19 and support grind any pairing for whom you specifically want the kid. At that point, the children will come with a Child Seal which will safe you the money on buying them promotion seals. Be wary, however, there is a sharp difficulty spike on several paralogues after the enemies become promoted.

2. You don't need royals to beat the game, and for the most part I didn't use them just because I'm biased towards pre-promotes. Try to stick to a core group as much as you can.

3. Welcome to Fates where 1% happens 50% of the time. Personally, I never felt the need to give everyone bronze weapons. Arthur would definitely appreciate the Vanguard seal though.

4. Some of those joke weapons are actually pretty good just because they have higher accuracy. I know my Elfie skewered more than a few enemies on her broom.

5. If you find your units are underperforming, consider all of the my castle resources you have. Tonics, food and forged weapons can do a lot to patch up weaknesses. I didn't find Arthur that bad (a certain user on these forums is going to tell you that Arthur is the worst character in the series). Effie makes a great pair up for him.

Alright, I'll do my best. . .

1. Are you utilizing pair-up? You don't get as much damage, but in return, you'll get support points. Your bruisers will gain supports faster than your back-line casters, because they'll be in battle more often. Corrin can build supports via the room thingy in My Castle.

2. Kick Arthur/Selena, and you'll probably be good.

3. Either learn to play around it, or deal with it. Luck Tonics can help, with Goddess Icons being a more permanent way of mitigating criticals.

4. Freeze staff + Heartseeker will kill evade really quickly. Skill Tonics are also A Thing, as is Rally Skill (Bow Knight 5).

5a. Xander is a wall. Use him. Camilla should be able to tank a fair amount of hits, as well. Beruka + Benny is another physical wall. On the magical side, there's Felicia/Jakob, and I think Nyx/Niles/Elise do a half-decent job of it.

5b. Arthur is amusing, and can really amp his crit rate by hitting A+ with Keaton, then using a Friendship Seal.

it's kinda ironic. in my Birthright run I was very strict in funneling exp just to people I was going to use and usually had 1-2 excess unit. then comes Conquest where I accidentally planned to bring up too many people. maybe it was the timing of recruits of units.

1. yea, supports can potentially take a while. it's not really an issue unless you really want all the children by a certain chapter. part of the problem probably stems from bringing in too many people in at once. so if you focused on 3-4 pairs instead of 5-6, it's be quicker. since there's only so few opportunities to gain Support, especially if one pair is killing a lot of the enemies by themselves.

2. I played Hard and it's still ok using full team. and for that matter, you're probably funneling too much towards the Avatar if there's a whole 7+ lvls difference. what chapter are you on? I usually kept my whole team within 2-3 lvls of each other max and only started promoting ~ch17 in Conquest (Avatar being exception because of Ch 15). just from my personal experience though, Leo was too slow while having a bit of Hit problems and wasn't that great in offense or bulk. a bit more Spd might've made him a bit better. Nyx's bases and growths are just terrible. when I recruited Elise!Ophelia, she was completely outclassed in every stat. especially terrible HP and Def, too. Silas really needs Spd as well... mine got Str RNG screwed and even slightly Spd rng screwed (compared to his average expected Spd). Niles, Kaze, and Felicia all suffer a lot in Defense and lack Str so they're stuck with Mage killing. though Felicia's support mostly anyways but she can do more dmg because Magic. Selena wasn't stellar either. Effie, Xander, Camilla, Keaton->Velouria are all amazing though.

3. that Crit Evade from Guard stance definitely takes care of most problems. as does some char's Attack stance bonuses (Elise for one). besides Berserkers, I never found it too much of an issue personally.

4. the Bosses are ridiculous, yes. the biggest reason is the stupid thrones that they sit on, which gives 20-30 Avoid. Ch17 for that matter is one of the worst ones. but people above me already mentioned counters as I was typing this

5a. yea, not many units can fair too well solo and to do so, they'd still need Guard Stance. you need to learn how much Guard Stance will help vs Attack Stance. probably the biggest hurdle to learning to deal with Fates mechanics well. but as mentioned, Xander/Camilla are tanks and killing machines early. Silas has decent bulk excluding his miserable base Spd and average Spd growth (though Xander has similar Spd issues, but he's prepromoted so yea)

5b. there's also the possibility of just being RNG screwed. he does have 70% Skl growth though his base is somewhat subpar. having someone support him will definitely help a lot. Attack Stance is pretty good with helping with poor Hit issues. while I didn't use Arthur, I did use Charlotte and she had some questionable Hit but Nyx was definitely worse ._. I used Samurai Odin and he was acceptable if not a bit subpar. slightly lacking Str to really be useful against axes early game and lategame if not relying on Crit/skills. Sunrise Katana is fun (though exacerbates the dmg issue)

Edited by GoXDS

5b. Arthur is amusing, and can really amp his crit rate by hitting A+ with Keaton, then using a Friendship Seal.

Erm, I read elsewhere that Keaton would wind up giving Outlaw to Arthur and Charlotte...

Screenshots or I don't believe you. This page hasn't failed me yet~!

I went here instead:

http://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/characters/guide/arthur/

It actually shows you which class a unit gets from an A+ or S support.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

In which case, that's even better, since Lucky 7 fixes the hit rate issue (at least for the first seven turns). Given Arthur's personal, it also means more crits~!

Personally, what I quickly noticed about Conquest is that if you treat it like most previous FEs (especially Awakening) and expect to deal with the bulk of the enemies during the Enemy Phase, it will wreck your face. Due to the abundance of 1-2 range weapons, skills that only activate when the owner initiates combat, stat debuff weapons and skills, and the fact that Guard Stance no longer also allows your pair up partner to provide extra attacks like it did in Awakening, you'll generally have to rush the enemy during Player Phase and abuse Attack Stance rather than pair up to make the following Enemy Phase even remotely survivable.

As far as CEv is concerned, yes, the Luck/2 formula can be an issue, but pair up and/or attack stance (depending on which units are involved) usually takes care of that. Just avoid using silvers or other weapons that further drop your CEv.

The accuracy issues, on the other hand, are pretty normal as far as I can tell, simply because the enemies in Conquest are actually competent. In fact, they'll probably get worse. I remember having sub-60 hit rates even on normal lategame enemies with a -SKL avatar (and yes, that was on Normal difficulty).

With that said, definitely make use of stat boosts where you think they'll help. Utilizing meals from your castle will probably not help much if you're locked to a single ingredient, but tonics exist, too.

Forging weapons even just to +2 or +3 can also help you more reliably dispatch enemies during Player Phase without relying on high-end weapons like silvers (which, killers aside, are generally terrible in this game).

It's also hard when you fuck over hellmurderjusticeman Arthur by chaining him to a damn bronze axe.

Harold needs the bronze axe on Lunatic.

Or do you want to risk your entire map on an 80% or lower? I didn't think so.

Also, it does in fact punish lowmanning on later chapters, even on Normal. If you don't reclass for skills like I did, those silver weapons will eventually get to you.

You have to deal with a good amount of enemies on the player phase. Or it will wreck you on Enemy Phase.

You don't have Awakening style stances anymore.

Also, the experience formula seems to effectively kill most "super unit" raising barring Kamui's extra exp skill. Even then, 7 level gap is a bit much.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Personally, what I quickly noticed about Conquest is that if you treat it like most previous FEs (especially Awakening) and expect to deal with the bulk of the enemies during the Enemy Phase, it will wreck your face. Due to the abundance of 1-2 range weapons, skills that only activate when the owner initiates combat, stat debuff weapons and skills, and the fact that Guard Stance no longer also allows your pair up partner to provide extra attacks like it did in Awakening, you'll generally have to rush the enemy during Player Phase and abuse Attack Stance rather than pair up to make the following Enemy Phase even remotely survivable.

As far as CEv is concerned, yes, the Luck/2 formula can be an issue, but pair up and/or attack stance (depending on which units are involved) usually takes care of that. Just avoid using silvers or other weapons that further drop your CEv.

The accuracy issues, on the other hand, are pretty normal as far as I can tell, simply because the enemies in Conquest are actually competent. In fact, they'll probably get worse. I remember having sub-60 hit rates even on normal lategame enemies with a -SKL avatar (and yes, that was on Normal difficulty).

With that said, definitely make use of stat boosts where you think they'll help. Utilizing meals from your castle will probably not help much if you're locked to a single ingredient, but tonics exist, too.

Forging weapons even just to +2 or +3 can also help you more reliably dispatch enemies during Player Phase without relying on high-end weapons like silvers (which, killers aside, are generally terrible in this game).

Killer weapons are, to say the least, not exactly amazing either. Also, personally, about the only time I ran afoul of accuracy issues with my -Skill avatar was chapter 25, and this was on hard mode.

Also of note: enemy units in Conquest can have skills outside of their class (e.g. Snipers with Counter).

Or do you want to risk your entire map on an 80% or lower? I didn't think so.

Also, it does in fact punish lowmanning on later chapters, even on Normal. If you don't reclass for skills like I did, those silver weapons will eventually get to you.

You have to deal with a good amount of enemies on the player phase. Or it will wreck you on Enemy Phase.

You don't have Awakening style stances anymore.

Also, the experience formula seems to effectively kill most "super unit" raising barring Kamui's extra exp skill. Even then, 7 level gap is a bit much.

He gets 90+ nitrates with +1 iron on ch10 @ C axes and wta for the rest of the game

Why the fuck would you even use the silver axe in CQ, by the time that shop opens with silver you have enough free steel to make a better free axe along with a nice low hand axe forge, killers and a million other things to buy. (Seals, brave axe)

The new exp decay does nothing to stop lowman builds from ruining the game. (Cammilia ignored it entirely, Ophelia/Soliel wipe entire maps)

But seriously. 80 percent chance to kill is better than 0 percent chance to kill.

Edit: Ep works just fine in cqlunatic. The game just makes Pp matter at all ever.

Edited by joshcja

4. Some of those joke weapons are actually pretty good just because they have higher accuracy. I know my Elfie skewered more than a few enemies on her broom.

I can attest to the EFFIcacy of this (haha).

Nah but seriously, yeah, Effie can still murder fools with Brooms and Sticks and the like. Effie is great.

Erm, I read elsewhere that Keaton would wind up giving Outlaw to Arthur and Charlotte...

Just want to interject into this little back and forth that Arthur can still get Oni Savage by marrying Charlotte, if that's your aim.

Well you're in Normal, so Camilla should be carrying your game pretty easily. You don't have to use everyone to pair them up for children, since you can grind supports in online battles the trick is to make an ideal team and stick to that, just keep adding as the game goes on. Don't switch your units around every map, stick to a few every single map.

Anyways for chapter 14 it's better if you go right versus the Armors first, specially if you bought an Armorslayer for Silas or someone and/or a Hammer for Arthur. Corrin should be able to deal with the armors with the dragon stone and tank Takumi (Nohrian blade works better if you got one), while Camilla kills one of the armor from the top right group. Then when Takumi advances you just royally screw him over on a combo attack between Camilla from the side and Corrin from the front. If Felicia has the Explosive shuriken then she probably is your best mage so far.

As far as the group below Takumi what's best is that you lure cavs with tanky units that are not Camilla (make sure to mark Reina's group, she's ready to ambush Camilla). One you're past that, then you're free to finish the map, everything is a smooth ride afterwards. You're in normal so you should do fine.

1) to grind in online battles: you must first find a castle with unarmed overpowered and an empty throne. Just whack at them for like 8 turns and repeat on different castles. Most top Visited/Battles should be like this.

2) You shouldn't have anyone promoted so far, you should be around the levels 16-17ish Notable units are: Corrin, Elise, Camilla, Azura, Felicia, Xander, Niles, Effie, Silas, Kaze. so-so units are: Leo, Beruka, Keaton, Jakob, Arthur, Selena, Benny, Peri. Garbage units are Lazlow and Odin. Charlotte is kinda bad but she's an amazing pair-up bot.

3) Don't be afraid of crits, #YOLO that shit

4) Attack Stance has notably higher accuracy than guard stance, do make use of both depending on the situation. You also get greater accuracy if a character is surrounded by several other units, not just one. Odin, Leo, Ophelia and Nyx both have skills that lower enemy avoid, so if you plan to use any of those make sure to take that into consideration. When in doubt, Skill tonics exist.

5a) This is a result of you probably scrambling units around too much never training anyone constantly other than Corrin, His waifu, Elise and Camilla and Normal mode's reduced stats on enemies.

5b) Arthur is quite the unit to use. A crit arthur needs to already be promoted into Berserker (zerkers get 20 free crit and Arthur reduces 15 crit evade from the enemy naturally. dew the math) and he's really not reliable early on due to Axes having low hit rate and his skill growth taking a while to kick in. Furthermore he's quite slow and his defense is lukewarm, Arthur definitely shines as a tank rather than a full on attacker. If you marry him with Effie, when he's a lead unit he'll have tons of defense and lots of HP to back it up, while giving Effie craploads of power and when he's a berserker Speed so she can finally double.

Just want to interject into this little back and forth that Arthur can still get Oni Savage by marrying Charlotte, if that's your aim.

But how the heck does THAT work? Because I thought it'd be one of those cases where they'd offer up the other's secondary class, like would happen with Subaki and Hinoka.

Why the fuck would you even use the silver axe in CQ, by the time that shop opens with silver you have enough free steel to make a better free axe along with a nice low hand axe forge, killers and a million other things to buy. (Seals, brave axe)

You kind of misinterpreted what I was saying entirely.

Fyi, I never use silvers unless they're free and strictly on "equip as a dual attack boost".

IIRC, the experience decay catches up with super units if you avoid the children paralogues.

Edited by shadowofchaos

1. You don't need to go crazy over supports. Just focus on the game and get what is within your reach. If you are super dedicated to a particular child, then prepare for that early.

2. At the very least, units do join with fairly decent levels in conquest. Just focus more on strategy rather than individual levels and you can catch up in time for each of them. You won't need to worry too much about stats until much later on. Even then, tonics, food and pair ups help. You can also get some rallies from online if you are desperate.

3. Crit evade isn't that bad. Guard stance does help to remove that small chance when it does come up, so it's not so bad. Also, goddess icons are sprinkled all over the place, so they can help ease the crit issues.

4. brass weapons, heart seeker, attack stance, abuse weapon triangle more, and get people to stick next to each other as the hit rates do go up from that.

5. They at least specialize in some particular niche, which can let them be stronger than regular units in certain ways. Beruka on average has more defense, Harold has higher strength, skill and defense on average, etc. If they have issues with certain stats, food, tonics, pair ups, rallies, etc.

We all have particular units that end up leveling badly due to RNG. My Silas ended up growing in skill and res, while lacking in everything else. Selena ended up having a very difficult time early on in my run, so I kept her out in favor of not wasting a space on my team for another 5 panel sword user (Corrin). Harold may have some issues early on, but he has some definite strengths. High health may not seem that impressive with mediocre defenses, but with a pair up and Elise support, his high health suddenly gains a lot of value, while heavily mitigating his crit weakness. Unfortunately, you'll have to deal with his early hit rates until later on when the skill growth kicks in, but he will have good weapon match ups later on, so it is definitely a good investment.

5b) Arthur is quite the unit to use. A crit arthur needs to already be promoted into Berserker (zerkers get 20 free crit and Arthur reduces 15 crit evade from the enemy naturally. dew the math) and he's really not reliable early on due to Axes having low hit rate and his skill growth taking a while to kick in. Furthermore he's quite slow and his defense is lukewarm, Arthur definitely shines as a tank rather than a full on attacker. If you marry him with Effie, when he's a lead unit he'll have tons of defense and lots of HP to back it up, while giving Effie craploads of power and when he's a berserker Speed so she can finally double.

You DO realize enemy units, like, pretty much never have that much crit evade ever, don't you...??? I can think of like, only two units that'd suffer the full effect of Arthur's crit evade drop, and putting Arthur in range of those two is about as smart as robbing a police station, to put it bluntly.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

You DO realize enemy units, like, pretty much never have that much crit evade ever, don't you...??? I can think of like, only two units that'd suffer the full effect of Arthur's crit evade drop, and putting Arthur in range of those two is about as smart as robbing a police station, to put it bluntly.

He's pretty gr8 at mercing final Takumi and the 25-28 bossrush (though other less godly zerks and brokephelia can do the job)

Way easier than expecting corin to do their job for once

Combining these two points, don't forget that the "joke weapons" give Dodge (the game's term for Critical Evade) +10 in addition to their higher hitrates than Bronze weapons...and unlike Bronze, they do not take away your ability to perform crits and trigger skills! In my current Lunatic run, my Berserker Arthur's go-to weapon is a Frying Pan of all things, helped by the fact that I got lucky enough to pick up two and forge them together.

Edited by ajmiam

He seems pretty bad early on, but once his skill stat kicks in he's pretty reliable. He has the dual club for swords and all.

Crit evade works of the full luck stat, so he petty much makes sure he almost always has a full crit chance. If you're not beyond buying skills online Darting Blow patches him up nicely. It's funny to see Arthur get crit and still survive it with that shit eating grin of his.

He seems pretty bad early on, but once his skill stat kicks in he's pretty reliable. He has the dual club for swords and all.

Crit evade works of the full luck stat, so he petty much makes sure he almost always has a full crit chance. If you're not beyond buying skills online Darting Blow patches him up nicely. It's funny to see Arthur get crit and still survive it with that shit eating grin of his.

Ugh. The fact you think that Arthur's tendency to face crit chances is some laughing matter is nauseating. :facepalm: A chance to auto-lose, or at the least, get severely wounded, ain't a laughing matter to me. On top of that, you completely missed the point of what I was saying earlier, which is that I ain't praising Arthur's personal skill when it affects a stat that 99.9% of enemies have a very low amount of. Well, that, and it's actively detrimental to him, because criticals are much more potent in enemy hands than player hands - also why I think Berserkers work MUCH better as an enemy class than a player class as far as this game is concerned. Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Ugh. The fact you think that Arthur's tendency to face crit chances is some laughing matter is nauseating. :facepalm: A chance to auto-lose, or at the least, get severely wounded, ain't a laughing matter to me. On top of that, you completely missed the point of what I was saying earlier, which is that I ain't praising Arthur's personal skill when it affects a stat that 99.9% of enemies have a very low amount of. Well, that, and it's actively detrimental to him, because criticals are much more potent in enemy hands than player hands - also why I think Berserkers work MUCH better as an enemy class than a player class as far as this game is concerned.

Why are you so concerned with critical hits, even with Arthur if you don't give him goddess icons because really only he and kaze need them enemies will at most have like 10-15 if they have craploads of skill, which is a tragedy not something you should worry about. How many enemies do you make your units tank in a single turn for a 10% crit rate to matter?

Berserkers are awesome for you. Rally Strength, S rank, 20 free crit, Amazing speed, Tons and tons of HP, The highest strength base and cap. Let Arthur pass through 5 levels of Hero for Sol then back to Berserker. Support, pair-up bot, crit machine, powerhouse all of that for so little. I've used Arthr in Lunatic, I've seen this man's potential and it's a thing of beauty on his own.