Your unpopular opinions for general games/media (besides Fire Emblem)?

henrymidfields

Since I couldn't find an existing thread for unpopular opinions for non-FE games, let's talk about our unpopular opinions here. Some brief mentions of FE games shall be fine for illustrating a bigger point, but let's leave them to the relevant FE sections as much as we can.

As for me, I've got six at the moment, and more will be added:

General Opinions:

• I don't have as many cases where I actively hate a character. Many characters of video games that I've played have some good moments that are memorable/interesting (Lysandre in Pokémon XY, Yoshi in the Yoshi games), awesome (Zelda in Twilight Princess), or even just plain nostalgic (Ash, Misty, and Brock during the Pokemania). I do have characters to be not my cup of tea, but most of the time, I can understand and appreciate why they are well-liked by others. And vice-versa.
  • Speaking of which, I get more interested with the background history and worldbuilding more than the actual stories/characters at times. Whether it is Pokémon, Zelda, or even F-Zero. In the latter example, I would think: What would make a city of 200 million people possible? How would people commute? How is law and order maintained? How will food be produced for a big number of people?
  • Sometimes, I even get interested in the architecture of the buildings in the story setting of the games. Though, that is because of my architectural background.

Game-specific Opinions:

• Having said that, there are two definite cases where General-#1 does not apply. I absolutely refuse to even touch any of the recent Super Mario games anymore, or any of the non-N64 Smash games, because of just how stupid Peach, and increasingly Luigi, acts. I find it stupid when the former keeps getting kidnapped 70-80% of the time without physically resisting (via moves in Smash Bros), and the latter increasingly being the distressed dude against some of the enemies he actually fought in the past - the latest example being 3DS Land. For all the flak Nohrrin, Xander, or any other supposedly stupid/cowardly/oversentimenal people get, I prefer them to the two girls.
  • Surprisingly, I didn't like Mother 3 when I first played it myself years ago, but I might give it a second chance.
  • I vehemently disagree with the worldbuilding direction that Gen 3-5 of Pokémon implemented. Why didn't GF retain more of the "true-to-OTL" like Gen 1-2 and 6 did? Why didn't they go overseas to Hawaii, Guam, or Queensland outright if they wanted a tropical region in Gen 3, instead of an unrealistic Hoenn that has nothing of the climate of RL!Kyushu??
  • (addenda) I think I can appreciate what Sega was aiming to do for Sonic '06 game. I've heard critics panning the game and the story, but as a complete outsider to the franchise, I suspect it would have been much better received if Sega actually took the time to at least iron out the gameplay issues. Maybe Sonic 06 just needed some more time and better planning.
Edited by henrymidfields

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoenn was my favorite Pokemon generation.

I didn't like/care for Sinnoh.

I think DMC2 is an okay game. Far, far from the worst.

I think Persona 4 is okay, I don't think it's worthy of all of the hate it gets from them hardcore Shin Megumi Tensay players.

I didn't care for Rise Kujikawa however. She's still better than Marie.

Resident Evil 5 was an okay game, but it had the best Mercenaries in the series and I sunk so much time in it, it's insane.

I liked Dragon Age 2.

On the flip side, I didn't care for Anders.

Is it my original post that is the problem?

I think she's referring to the fact that these kind of "unpopular opinion" topics tend to devolve into pointless arguing.

• EarthBound Beginnings is a good NES RPG and isn't nearly as insufferable and bland a slog as many people make it out to be.

EarthBound's plot is my least favorite in the series and I really don't care for the way it concludes the aliens' plot arc.

I actually really liked how the first two Pokémon generations made the enemy Team shenanigans a subplot instead of having it shove its way to the forefront, demoting the Pokémon League Challenge quest to the back burner.

Final Fantasy II (the actual Final Fantasy II, not Final Fantasy IV) is actually a pretty fun game if you don't take progressing the plot seriously at all and just screw around with how nonlinear its world is.

Paper Mario 1 is hands-down the best-looking game on the N64. Never have I see a game take its own console's graphical limitations in stride so elegantly, even going so far as to turn them into its own unique art style rather than coming across as ultimately hampered by them.

I think that RPGs using huge stat and damage numbers (i.e. making five~six-digit HP and damage output commonplace later in the game, having level caps over 100 or even over 1,000, etc.) is just garish and showy and adds nothing to the quality of the gameplay.

Forced grinding, even for optional content, is nothing but padding that doesn't test anything but the player's patience. It's a poor substitute for competent level curve and challenge design and its presence is pretty much impossible to justify.

Calling the genre "Metroidvania" strikes me as a little weird considering that Castlevania games didn't start qualifying for the genre until some ways in (Castlevania 1 is even more linear than SMB1, if substantially more difficult, and utterly devoid of any sort of permanent upgrades), while the Metroid series has fit perfectly into the genre since its debut.

The romance arc setup of "male and female character who frankly don't get along all that well suddenly decide to make out for some reason at a terrible moment" annoys the shit out of me and frankly I could not be less invested in such relationships if I tried. Although, granted, I am very picky about romance arcs in general and I fully admit that it would be very hard to work in one that I could actually get invested in within the very tight length of, say, a movie plot. Still, authors interested in writing romance into their stories can do a lot better than just forcing two characters with minimal chemistry together purely for the sake of having a romance subplot. (Or obligatorily pairing up the male and female leads because That's Just How Things Go).

The "Always Chaotic Evil" trope really irritates me as well, not only because of the unfortunate implications of it ("Stereotyping an entire biological subset of people is accurate and okay!"), but also because beings with the same level of intelligence as humans logically would not work that way, psychologically nor socially.

I very rarely actually have any ships from stories in any medium because I've learned that shipping my own OCs together instead is infinitely more satistfying.

Edited by Topaz Light

I think she's referring to the fact that these kind of "unpopular opinion" topics tend to devolve into pointless arguing.

Bingo~!

Whether this thread stays open or not is dependent on the people posting in it. Right now, the only opinion that might cause some sparks is TC's general opinion 1, due to how it's worded.

As for mine. . .I much prefer turn-based RPGs to action RPGs.

I don't think Sonic the Hedgehog had as bad of a decline as people thought, sure Heroes & Shadow were Mediocre (We still had the excellent Advance games going on at this point and Rush), but it wasn't really till 06 that it was a "Dark Age" before that and Secret Rings, but at least Unleashed & Colors carried us out of that.

I also think people are way too quick to judge newer Sonic games even if they turn out to be good or they listen to IGN who are blatant Nintendo Fanboys, as was the case with Generations, with people hating it before people even mentioned it was actually good.

Of course Boom isn't good at all, but Mania & 2017 seem to be another step towards good stuff. I say this as a long time standing Sonic fan, that, there has been more good/mediocre titles than absolute horrible, unlike alot of people like to parade around.

Someone is going to challenge this post and I know it, but I'm just tired of being labeled as some kind of crazy for being a fan of a franchise.

I don't think Sonic the Hedgehog had as bad of a decline as people thought, sure Heroes & Shadow were Mediocre (We still had the excellent Advance games going on at this point and Rush), but it wasn't really till 06 that it was a "Dark Age" before that and Secret Rings, but at least Unleashed & Colors carried us out of that.

Now that you mentioned '06, I think I can appreciate what Sega was aiming to do for Sonic '06 game. I've heard critics panning the game and the story, but as a complete outside to the franchise, I suspect it would have been much better received if Sega actually took the time to iron out the gameplay issues. Maybe Sonic 06 just needed some more time and better planning.

Edited by henrymidfields

Now that you mentioned '06, I think I can appreciate what Sega was aiming to do for Sonic '06 game. I've heard critics panning the game and the story, but as a complete outside to the franchise, I suspect it would have been much better received if Sega actually took the time to iron out the gameplay issues. Maybe Sonic 06 just needed some more time and better planning.

Yeah there were alot of behind the scenes stuff going on during its development, and I think if they had actually been able to get everything together it'd have been really cool, although I admit I like parts of it, the soundtrack is still one of my favorites and I do enjoy some of the level design.

Although I find it funny how I get the most enjoyment out of Shadow's story (then again I like Shadow as a character and seeing him bounce off Rouge and Omega like in Heroes was nice)

Edited by Jedi

Hmm I was debating on posting this or not, but instead I think I'll preface my post with

Bingo~!

Whether this thread stays open or not is dependent on the people posting in it. Right now, the only opinion that might cause some sparks is TC's general opinion 1, due to how it's worded.

so that said, if you feel the need to disagree with me (totally fine), but feel like maybe you're getting a little heated please just PM me instead.

Final Fantasy 7 is the second worst Final Fantasy, second only to 13 and not counting Mystic Quest. I could honestly go on for hours about this one, and nitpick all the things I don't like, but trying to keep in the confines of the rules laid out here I will keep it as simple and clean (heh) as possible.

1. Every character is the same in battle, discounting limit breaks and the fact that some can attack from the back row without materia. It started with 6, but 7 makes this fact really obvious, and at least 6 had characters with special abilities unique to them.

2. Objectively speaking Sephiroth accomplishes less as a villain than every single villain before and most that come after him, and I do mean nearly every single one.

[spoiler=Spoilers FF 1-13]Chaos had the Time Loop. Palpantine had the Pandemonium and after you kill him he literally conquers Hell to come back to spite you. If you count the bonus content then he conquers Heaven too. The Dark Cloud threw the entire world into ruin, save for one small plot of land where your adventure begins. Zemus mind controls your brother, who controls your jealous best friend, resurrects an ancient doomsday weapon, and has hatred so strong it's nearly impossible to actually eradicate him. By the way, he does so from the freaking moon while half asleep. Ex-Death successfully merges two universes together, in addition to already having all but conquered Galuf's world to begin with. Kefka destroys the world as you know it and literally becomes God. Ultimecia achieves her Time Kompression nonsense, even though I admit I don't totally get it, we can at the very least agree that she accomplishes her goals. Kuja destroys Terra, masterminds a war that eventually gets Brahne killed right in front of Garnet's eyes, and destroys existence, or at least destroys the crystal causing the creature who would destroy existence if not for your party. Again, the game isn't really clear at the end. Yu Yevon, while a lame fight indeed, is certainly more successful in his overall goals than Sephy-boy, and if we're bringing in gameplay, then Yu Yevon isn't really any less pathetic in terms of difficulty than the final duel with Sephiroth. Never played 11, so I'll have to skip that one. Vayne has his goons on your ass the entire game, and it's hilarious that he has next to no idea who any of you are except for maybe Ashe when you do fight him, but I admit I'm struggling to think of much that he himself is directly responsible for. So I think I'll give this one to Sephiroth. Sadly, I think even Barthandelus is more successful than Sephiroth, as much as I hate to say it. The way he goes about his plan is much, much more stupid, but in the end you do become Ragnarok, technically, so I dunno how to place this one. I'll say, tie.

3. I find the soundtrack to be just okay. Not bad, mind you, but not the highest point in the series either. I will say that I like Those Who Fight Further and One Winged Angel.

4. I don't like most of the characters. Subjective, I know, but sue me. I have reasons, but this is probably the most sensitive area for most people, so I'll just leave it at that.

5&6. Tifa's boobs. Boobs don't work like that. Stop it.

Of course, I don't have a problem with people liking the game, particularly you PAL gamers, who from what I understand didn't see an FF before 7 besides Mystic Quest of all things. But, it wasn't my first FF, so I guess it just doesn't do anything for me. Blasphemy I know.

My personal wird opinions

• Persona 3 has the best final boss theme while Persona 4 has the worst one I've heared yet.
  • Chie is the worst dressed character in Persona 4 but has the best personality to me while Rise is the best dressed (if she's dressed) with the worst personality.
  • The Tales of game with the simplest battle system is the best game one (Abyss).
  • I can't stand Sonic since his appearance in Smash Bros Brawl.
  • Kirby is way more a hero than Mario.
  • I like the gameplay of Pokémon but I can't stand 95% of these creatures. (I prefer RPGs where you can control humans)
Edited by Ayama Wirdo

General opinions

1: I don't understand the big fuss about the controls of Star Fox Zero. They were annoying a couple of times but hardly a deal breaker. I don't think they were all that radical either. In the first stages you can pretty much play as you're used to and when more in depth use of the controls are required you will have grown more used to them.

That's not to say I'm a defender of Star Fox Zero. I had my fun with it but I was left a bit disappointing. The problem wasn't the controls but all the other things. The low amount of planets, the missions being about half the size of 64 missions, and the already small amount of stages being infested with these filler missions where you have to protect the great fox from rockets or robots crawling over it.

It also doesn't help that its a game we already played twice before. I've seen everything the game had to offer well before I played it.

I'm not opposed to the idea of Star Fox remaining retired for the time being. Nintendo clearly doesn't know what to do with it and you could argue it has never been able to come close to the peak it had with 64. The gameplay of fighting enemies in the air before possibly flying down to fight enemies there is also quite similar to the set up of the new version of Kid Icarus. Let Kid Icarus, which is still riding on its goodwill from Uprising take over for a while. It gives the chance for one series to further establish itself while Nintendo can do a deep long think on what to do with Starfox.

2: I don't think Sonic has grown that infamously terrible at all. I think its more of a problem with Sonic's image than its games.

There was a very noticeable low point with 2006 and Shadow the Hedgehog but a game for game overview of the series just doesn't support modern Sonic being all terrible. The adventure games may not have aged very well but they were well received at the time. Sonic Adventure 2 is brought up as a game more Sonic games should try to be. Heroes wasn't that great but it was perfectly adequate, then came the low point of Shadow the Hedgehog and 2006 but a recovery sat in after that. Unleashed didn't set the world on fire but it was seen as step in the right direction.

This was confirmed by Colors and Generation being wildly recognized as a return to form....and then Sonic Boom turned the series into a laughing stock once more.

3: I want more diverse settings. A lot of the time its either a modern setting, a medieval European one or one based on Victorian England. I want a big rpg set in a world that's based of the Roman empire or one that has an Arabian night theme.

4: A lot of the times I don't get the outcry over ''censorship''. usually I find it incredible easy to ignore the altered content and its quite easy to see the reasoning behind it. In the case of Skinship I also found it a straight up positive action to remove something that clashed quite hard with what Fire emblem is.

Game specific examples

1: Xenoblade chronicles X should never have tried to use a mute to replace Shulk and I hope they will for an actual main character again in the next game.

2: The most popular character in the Samurai Warriors series is the troubled Tsundere Mitsunari. He's my least favorite character for being an irredeemable prick. On the other side of the coin we have one of the least favorite characters being Mitsunaru's fat rival, Ieyasu. He's one of my favorites for easily being one of the nicest and most benevolent characters in the game.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

These topics are always interesting. It's nice to see what other people think.

Here we go. My personal unpopular opinions.

General

- Out of any video game genre, I like JRPGs the most (I know that's the case with many people, but in the west, it seems like JRPGs are the anti-christ of gaming, somehow).

- In RPGs, I don't really care if it's turnbased or action, as long as the gameplay is easy to understand and fun.

- I have no specific opinion on the console vs. PC gaming debate.

Game specific

- The 4th Generation of Pokémon has the best region in terms of layout and looks, but this is offset by incredibly slow-paced gameplay, constant handholding and some of the worst Pokémon designs I have ever layed my eyes upon. Only the 2nd and 7th Gen designs are worse overall.

- I don't mind that the 6th Generation only introduced around 70 brand new Pokémon. Quality over quantity, as I always say. Although you COULD technically count the Mega Evolutions as new Pokémon as well.

- I don't really play nor like Sonic the Hedgehog games that much. The high-speed sections give me motion sickness and the main character's attitude gets annoying really fast.

- I believe Tales of Zestiria has an awesome story and is among the best Tales games to date.

- Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World is better than the original Symphonia, at least gameplay-wise. Story-wise, they're about equal.

- I don't mind the debt system in Xillia 2. It gives you an incentive to explore and fight more, which by default makes you stronger than you would otherwise be.

- Final Fantasy XII is the best in the series, although it is also one of the hardest.

- The music in Bravely Second is just as good as in the first game.

- I don't know if this is unpopular or not, but I'd like to see Etrian Odyssey III Untold on the 3DS in the future. Millenium Girl and Fafnir Knight were awesome and I would love to see what they would do with the 3rd game, which I sadly haven't played yet since I don't have access to it.

I don't like ATB in FF6. At all.

DQ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> FF

The only time grinding has bothered me in any game I've played is in DQ8, between the Great Argon and Dhoulmagus, because that's the only time it felt forced on me. And in that case, I chalk it up to poor balancing on Angelo's spell list (Multiheal comes much later than the level I tend to see naturally at the point it becomes practically required).

Black (2) and White (2) were better than X and Y, in practically every way. I can't think of a strength XY has over either.

That said, I liked Team Flare, though not as much as Team Plasma.

While I don't mind the Zelda timeline too much, I think it could have been implemented better. That said, I hate actively denying it exists and work with what we're given anyway.

I also think it's not too limiting on creative freedom in future games, the devs play loose with canon anyway and the decline timeline provides precedent for possible endings never shown in the games.

Ocarina of Time, despite being my first game, is an underwhelming game, there isn't anything about it to make it better than the other 3D Zeldas beyond historical influence.

Phantom Hourglass > Spirit Tracks.

The Link in Spirit Tracks needs more love.

Dragon Quest VI is the best Dragon Quest game and is highly underrated sometimes.

That said, I will admit there's a gaping plot hole caused by Milly not getting any sort of closure.

Newer DQ translations > old ones, bring on the puns.

I don't like ATB in FF6. At all.

DQ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> FF

The only time grinding has bothered me in any game I've played is in DQ8, between the Great Argon and Dhoulmagus, because that's the only time it felt forced on me. And in that case, I chalk it up to poor balancing on Angelo's spell list (Multiheal comes much later than the level I tend to see naturally at the point it becomes practically required).

Black (2) and White (2) were better than X and Y, in practically every way. I can't think of a strength XY has over either.

That said, I liked Team Flare, though not as much as Team Plasma.

Dragon Quest VI is the best Dragon Quest game and is highly underrated sometimes.

Newer DQ translations > old ones, bring on the puns.

DQ and FF aren't really comparable now (and haven't been for a while). DQ is traditional RPGs mastered perfectly. FF is trying to innovate gameplay, adn is becomming more and more action-based as time goes.

I'm still not sure which DQ iS my favourite. DQVI is my first,a dn have the most original setting. DQ VII mastered the self-contained stories,a dn is long and beautifull. DQV is fantastic as well, with the generation system (Bianca is the best waifu.)

OK, let's go :

- FFX-2 is better than FFX. FFX tries to looks serious, but everything looks so fake.

You can't have serious drama with such ridiculous outfit, and I find Tidus' attitude to be truly despicable, so the romance made me angry.

FFX-2 embraced the inner stupidity of the game and as such ends up better and more fun.

- I played Lunar in the GBA back then, and found it to be a really tepid and boring experience. I don't hate it, but it wasn't really fun. It also made me pretty seriously against random battles.

-I don't have played through all the Tales of game, but Innocence is still my favourite, and have the best cast overall.

-Tales of Narikiri Dungeon's ending is better than Awkening's.

I don't care about high definition graphics.

In fact, I tend to be quite forgiving of 3D graphics and care more about how pretty the scenery is than I do the character models. So long as the characters aren't outright ugly (see: Skyrim) I don't care about how "low definition" they are.

In fact, I happen to think that Xenoblade Chronicles is an absolutely gorgeous game, and while I admit the character models COULD be better, I don't particularly care. And I certainly don't think that the quality is bad enough for everyone to give it the low score they do.

Also, I never cared about the lack of feet in Awakening. Never noticed until somebody pointed it out.

Eh, the only unpopular opinions I have are:

- Vaan is a fantastic character and FFXII is probably one of the best titles in the series. Also, Vayne is a very underrated villain and should get more credit.

- The ending of the original FFXIV is probably the best in the series, surpassing even FFIX and FFX's endings.

- Kingdom Hearts: Re: Coded is the best "spin-off" of the KH series

- FFX-2 is better than FFX. FFX tries to looks serious, but everything looks so fake.

You can't have serious drama with such ridiculous outfit, and I find Tidus' attitude to be truly despicable, so the romance made me angry.

FFX-2 embraced the inner stupidity of the game and as such ends up better and more fun.

It's true, Tidus's attitude isn't exactly one of the best, starting as an arrogant superstar, but, as the game progress, he does mature, to the point that, if It's necessary, he would even sacrifice himself

/

About Vayne, he wanted to "bring back history into the hands of man" and he actually succed in doing such a thing at the end of the game.

Also, Vayne knows who Basch and Ashe are, since he was the one that

did the plan that would disgrace Basch's name and was also the one behind the idea of announcing that Ashe was dead, even tough she wasn't.

I only have one unpopular opinion.

Turn based RPGs shouldn't exist with the technology available nowadays to execute said actions. They were cool when the hardware couldn't handle much, so actions were "represented". But not anymore. Evolve or die.

1. Xenoblade Chronicles X is better that original (even if the story is worse).

2. Sticker Star is an Average game rather then an Abysmal one, and Color Splash (so far) is close to PM 64 in quality.

3. I know there's plenty of love for the game here but in other places this game is widely hated so I'm gonna say it. Kid Icarus: Uprising is one of the best 3DS games if not the best 3DS game, and really really badly needs a sequel.

4. Not sure if it's unpopular but the Ubisoft Sandbox genre needs to die, or at least some action games should come out occasionally that are not in that Genre. Variety is the spice of life and I've been playing way too many RPG & Plaformers recently (because there's a dearth of good action games and single player shooters), i've been revisiting games get my fix.

3. I know there's plenty of love for the game here but in other places this game is widely hated so I'm gonna say it. Kid Icarus: Uprising is one of the best 3DS games if not the best 3DS game, and really really badly needs a sequel.

I don't think that's an unpopular opinion actually. There was a bit of a fuss about the controls but the overall reception seems to have been quite good.

Crash Bandicoot: Warped is the best PS1 game.

Metroid: Other M is a good game and a good Metroid game.

Metroid: Zero Mission is the best Metroid game.

Minish Cap is the best 2D Zelda.

Crash Team Racing>Mario Kart 64 (and all the rest).

Sin & Punishment sucks.

Super Mario Galaxy 2>Super Mario Galaxy 1.

Sonic the Hedgehog has never had a good 3D game, and all the rest are so-so at best.

Big the Cat is the only really good character Sonic has, besides possibly the hedgehog himself.

Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne all suck.

That's all for now, but I'm sure I'll come up with more...

Minish Cap is the best 2D Zelda.

Super Mario Galaxy 2>Super Mario Galaxy 1.

These are unpopular opinions? I thought they were common ones. But I agree with them nonetheless.

A few more from me:

- Zelda: The Wind Waker and Zelda: Majora's Mask are horrible games and the worst games in the Zelda series.

- Skyward Sword is the best Zelda game.

- I thought TWW's Triforce Hunt was fun, however (I'm talking about in the original version too), getting all those Rupees for Tingle aside.

- Gen 4 is the best Pokemon generation, Sinnoh is the best region, and gen 4 has overall the best Pokemon designs.

- Greninja, Blaziken, and Gardevoir are horrible designs and I have no idea why they're popular.

- Gen 3 is the worst Pokemon generation.

- Super Paper Mario is the best Paper Mario game, followed by Color Splash, then The Thousand-Year Door.

Edited by Anacybele