FE10 tips?

escotanner

Hi so I just got Fire emblem Radiant Dawn and even though I won't play it until after I beat Path of Radiance, I was wondering if there are any tips to help me since I heard how tough the game is.

It depends on the difficulty.

In easy mode you can use almost everyone since it features elite mode (doubled experience).

If you play normal or hard, you should focus on not too many units.

This is a little guide for hard mode, but it also includes tips you need on lower difficulties.

Making good supports is one of the most important things.

Front units need often need earth support to get higher evasion.

The chapters with Micaiah are the hardest since she's a very fragile and slow lord. It's possible to lose her, even in easy mode.

Ike's chapters are much easier because you have lots of high leveled units.

Don't try to train all the people you get in Part 1 unless you do easy mode, because they're so weak and it's just impossible for them to be on par with the units in later parts in the end. Only train a select few. Just ignore Tormod and his party entirely, because you get them for only a few chapters and then they disappear until near the end of the freaking game (whose idea was this? Ugh).

Drop the Part 1 units completely for the Endgame (except for the two who are forced), as you'll get a lot of way better units throughout the game, especially Ike's party.

Don't overuse the Promoted Units during part 1 (I.e. Sothe, Zihark, Taurneo, Tormod & Crew and Volug and Nailah). I'd disagree with Anacybele actually. Yes, some of the Mercanries are better units. However, I've watched an LP of Radiant Dawn (don't own the game myself) and the LP-ear made that mistake- which made certain maps in Part 3 very difficult. I'd say- there are a couple of members in the Brigade that are hard to train (Meg, Giona and arguably Leonardo). You can bench them if you'd like, but I'm not going to force you. But yeah, train up as many members of the Brigade as you are able to.

Also, do you own FE9?

Edit: I guess you do, as you said that you wanted to beat that first. Advice- Get Ilyana and Jill to level 20/20. It will make Part 1 of Radiant Dawn more manageable. :)

Edited by Irony

Most of the non-royal laguz units can't hold a candle to beorc units, and it does not help that they level up slowly transformed, and are free kills untransformed. Also, I agree that overusing the pre-promos in part 1 sets you up to suffer in part 3.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I'd disagree with Anacybele actually. Yes, some of the Mercanries are better units. However, I've watched an LP of Radiant Dawn (don't own the game myself) and the LP-ear made that mistake- which made certain maps in Part 3 very difficult. I'd say- there are a couple of members in the Brigade that are hard to train (Meg, Giona and arguably Leonardo). You can bench them if you'd like, but I'm not going to force you. But yeah, train up as many members of the Brigade as you are able to.

Well, I tried to train a lot of the part 1 units in my first playthrough and this was a big mistake. They were all far too weak in the end and I had to rely almost on Naesala ALONE in their part 4 chapters. And this was on EASY mode. Besides, I don't mean train only 1-3 of them, 4 or 5 would be fine. I'd recommend Edward, Jill, Volug, Zihark, and Aran. Laura if you have enough bonus exp handy, because it's always good to have another healer. The rest of the part 1 units have just never been worth it as far as I've seen (and Nailah is just an exp hog, same with Tauroneo).

Shame too, because I like Fiona...

Don't overuse the Promoted Units during part 1 (I.e. Sothe, Zihark, Taurneo, Tormod & Crew and Volug and Nailah). I'd disagree with Anacybele actually. Yes, some of the Mercanries are better units. However, I've watched an LP of Radiant Dawn (don't own the game myself) and the LP-ear made that mistake- which made certain maps in Part 3 very difficult. I'd say- there are a couple of members in the Brigade that are hard to train (Meg, Giona and arguably Leonardo). You can bench them if you'd like, but I'm not going to force you. But yeah, train up as many members of the Brigade as you are able to.

Also, do you own FE9?

Edit: I guess you do, as you said that you wanted to beat that first. Advice- Get Ilyana and Jill to level 20/20. It will make Part 1 of Radiant Dawn more manageable. :)

I'd go with Ana on this one. Avoiding multiple units is kinda reasonable. For DB, I'd go with raising maybe 1-2 DBers outside of Micaiah and Sothe. Trying to raise anymore and you're going to have to stop at some point to go out of your way to grind another unit.

Aran is really good too, he's a freaking tank, and one of the few units in the DB's party that has a defense. He can tank even critical hits, I've seen him do it! He was actually a bit underleveled at the time too. He's basically an armor knight without being super slow.

Edited by Anacybele

In part 3, there's places where you can recruit members of the Dawn Brigade over to Ike's side. DO NOT DO THIS! It makes the part 3 DB chapters insanely hard.

I'd go with Ana on this one. Avoiding multiple units is kinda reasonable. For DB, I'd go with raising maybe 1-2 DBers outside of Micaiah and Sothe. Trying to raise anymore and you're going to have to stop at some point to go out of your way to grind another unit.

I'd say Jill and Nolan are the best units in the DB to focus on. Other then that, I'd say one additional unpromoted unit of youf choice shouldn't be to big of a problem, but spreading out your XP thinner than that will make your game quite a bit harder during the DB segments. The DB has quite a few prepromotes at their disposal, so don't worry about having too few units to deploy.

I usually focus almost all my DB exp on Micaiah, Edward, Ilyana and Laura, with some given to Leo because #Archerbias

They normally turn out pretty well for me, Eddy in particular.

Meg and Fiona are pretty bad though.

Instead of just pointing what is bad which doesn't leave to any real tips of how to approach the game whatsoever I find better to point in what you should be focusing depending on your preferences, I am referring mostly to Hard mode since is the only one you need to be really wary off anyways.

This is basically for the DB chapters:

Micaiah: She is useful overall because altough not doubling she can heal and do indirect damage, if you want to optimize exp you should focus on abusing Sacrifice as most as you can, Micaiah has less problems gaining exp because of this unlike other units so avoid killing with her if you can.

Sothe: In part one I mainly use it for stealing, weakening and only killing when I really need, you can use him without an equipped weapon to attract enemies.

Leonardo: As a unit he mostly sucks, but it has it uses, normally being a bow user is not enough to have much worth, but being able to get rid of certain pesky flying units, doing indirect damage, and having brave bow(hidden item in part 3) means that it can do some decent damage, it has no endgame material though.

Edward: He is a very good unit and along with Nolan should be the main one you should be killing with until you get Jill.

Nolan:See above, it has better endgame material because it comes with the ever so godlike Nihil and doesnt consume capacity.

Meg & Fiona: Similar to Leo but they dont have any usefulness whatsoever, Fiona is mounted and could serve as a ferry, but thats it.

Jill: One of the best if not the best unit the Dawn Brigade has access, I recommend putting a Bronze Axe on her to EXP abuse some enemies, it costs a lot of time but if you can reach 20/1 after Chap 6(both parts) it becomes much more astounding, not that she is not already awesome.

Zihark: I find him better than Edward, mostly because he comes already prepromoted with good bases, which means you can focus your EXP on other units.

Laura: Heal when needed, it has not much endgame material but is the only reliable healer in the Dawn Brigade, abuse healing as much as you can if you want to level up her so she is not doubled and can survive 1 hit, just pointing it because is not hard to do and makes positioning easier later on.

Aran: Tank, this unit is a godsend if used well, abuse Javelins as much as you can, crappy against mages, but aside from that it is very helpful later on, having bad RES hurts is endgame prowess, though against physical units it helps a lot, especially when using Dawn Brigade.

Tauroneo: Give the weapons to Aran, just use him as a pseudo tank so the enemies focus on him, in chapter 6 it helps a lot if you want to train Jill, basically he can remain unequipped until Part 3.

Ilyana: Could be useful if you could use her in Part 3, sadly she doesnt so try to not let her steal kills or exp overall, she is the only user of the most powerful Thunder tome, but she is not that relevant aside from that.

Volug: Dont kill with him if you can, he gains almost none exp.

Leonardo: As a unit he mostly sucks, but it has it uses, normally being a bow user is not enough to have much worth, but being able to get rid of certain pesky flying units, doing indirect damage, and having brave bow(hidden item in part 3) means that it can do some decent damage, it has no endgame material though.

Leo's personal weapon in part 3 does actually more damage than two attacks by the brave bow.

Two little spoilers:

1. Edward, Leonardo and Nolan get a personal weapon in part 3. Leo's and Nolan's are great because they give boost in one of their stats. Edward's is ok, but worse than the other two.
  2. Micaiah has a fixed promotion.

Anyways you shouldn't be influenced too much by the advices who to use.

If you play easy mode, everyone is usable... even Meg, Fiona, Tormod and the Laguz.

This game gives you enough experience, so you can change your team from chapter to chapter without any problems.

In the DB chapters all the prepromotes are good for short term use to tackle side objectives while you train up your main forces. Even if they have little to no worth in the long run (Tormod and Vika especially, Muarim is actually mega strong...) they are invaluable for maps where their deployment is forced. There are some maps with very obvious strategies that will force certain units to pull their weight, mostly in parts 1 and 2. Just forget about long term viability until part 3.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

All I can say is Nephenee, Haar, and Jill are freaking insane... I'm guessing you beat it already but those three units are usually ones I train because they're my favourites from the tier 2 prepromotes. The tier 1's, I would say Aran, Micaiah, Edward, Meg, Nolan, Laura, and Illyana are tanks.

There is no point in leveling any tier 1 units. They're all really bad and you can get through part 3 with just Sothe/Tauroneo/Volug. Make sure Volug gets to S strike before part 1 ends.

nah, jill is definitely worth using, and so is nolan to lesser extent. aran and edward are decent in normal mode.

• 2 weeks later...

I found RD more challenging than PoR. The enemies are stronger than in PoR and your units start very weak, so always keep an eye at the enemy movement range and equipment. PoR is much easier in that regard but RD will punish you for your mistakes. As others have said, the first chapters are the most difficult, but the game difficulty gets more even after that. In particular I was forced to always keep a closed formation and sometimes adopt a defensive strategy taking advantage of map borders, corners, and corridors, much more than I had to do in PoR. Take advantage of the weapon triangle and terrain bonuses as much as you can, as enemies with low attack will hit more often than one would expect, and some of your units with high attack will also miss more than expected.

As other people have told you, supports are very useful to give your units a little advantage, which is tremendously helpful in Part 1. Neglecting training of units in Part 1 will make some missions in Part 3 much more difficult. And try not to let overpowered units to steal too much experience, a mistake I made and had to pay for. I didn't played much with forged weapons, because I was always short of funds, but I heard they can give you the upper hand in most situations.

Edited by geraq