FE Shadow Dragon - Unit Disposition Editor Modules + Item/Class Editor Update

Armadillo8

Nobody wanted to do this so I just felt the urge to do it myself.

This is exactly what you think it is.

The Unit Disposition Editors aka Chapter Unit Editor (now for EVERY chapter and not just chapter 1), an update and better documentation regarding the Item Editor (have the iron sword be a uncounterable dragonslaying magic-brave weapon that opens chests and gives you discount at stores) and finally a minor update to the class abilities (Bonus Crit, Unlock etc.).

Here's the link.

EDIT: I made updates to the Unit Disposition Editor. It now has Dropdownboxes for Characters, Classes and Items. This should make editing much more convenient.

Edited by Mariode

Thanks! A few years back I had made about half the chapter modules but my computer died, so it's great that they've been made readily available. Does this include gaidan maps too? I'm gonna play around with these later.

Since I think i'm more likely to get an answer here....

I'm having some issues using the Unit Disposition Editor (which i've definately used in the past for several chapters) but I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right before I start trying other stuff. For reference, all edits using the "database" file (character editor, class editor, item editor etc) I've been able to do, but every time I try editing a units starting inventory, or starting class, I get a black screen.

old screen from several years ago changing marth to gotoh

06e828842145a1e28d130ea4a5a27ec8.png

(Marth with 20 magic to show changing the database file doesn't cause blackscreens)

b52eed0dc23226953226584c3b346ce3.png

What i'm doing is...

unpacking the rom et all, and getting "bmap001", and decompressing it. I'll make any edit. Here, the only thing i've changed is changing Jeigan's class to general:

600061dea750dde52b1c3272b6dac63e.png

I save changes, compress the decompressed file, then replace the bmap001 file in the rom with the edited one, and repack the rom. Upon starting chapter 1 I get a black screen, Am I missing a step? Or are there multiple versions of FE11? I'm positive I have the NA version because of Caeda's name being Caeda and not Shiida.

Also to note, when I unpack the ROM, and then repack it, the file sizes are different, even wihen I make no changes. Is this a problem? I'm using DSlazy for this, is there another program you recommend?

54affc07cf5bd869d853ea77fc16df00.png

Edited by General Horace

I encountered the same issue when trying to edit something chapter related.

Also... I personally use NitroExplorer2b. It's more user-friendly as you can extract and reinsert file separately and more quickly. Plus, it directly shows the offset and size of the selected file.

To get back to the Topic... I too extracted bmap001, decompressed and compressed it without editing anything, reinserted it and started the game...

Result: Blackscreen

It's not because of the Disposition Editors, but rather due to a compression error (at least that's my assumption)

I compared the originally extracted bmap001 with the unedited decompressed-and-compressed bmap001 and I found A TON of differences, although the header mentioned by Blazer was unchanged.

I'm not sure how to fix this -as Blazer's documentation was kinda unclear- but I'm sure it's something obvious we are missing

Others had this same Problem too, so I'm positive that a solution will come up eventually.

I'll investigate myself a little bit, too. Hopefully I'll find something.

Edited by Mariode

I figured out the problem; it was a compression issue, by using Batch LZ77 there are no issues, so it was a problem with Nintenlord's Compressor (which I assume both of us were using).

It's here if you want it: https://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/utilities/download-batchlz77-1-3-f11736.html

One more question I have, something seems funky with the chapter 20 unit disposition editor, but nothing seems off when using blazers method of making the module itself, so maybe there's just something strange about that chapter in general? I can't figure it out myself.

Edited by General Horace

You have no idea how grateful I am for you finding the solution to that stupid compression problem!

Oh and about the Chapter 20 Module... It was just a stupid mistake by me.

Somehow, the seven of the starting offset for the unit data got lost so the module began reading it from the 4 that was left.

Chapter 20 Unit Editor by Blazer/Mariode
0x74 (this 7)
NULL
NULL

It seems I overlooked it when I was testing...

I've fixed it now. It should work fine now (hopefully).

Any way to make a weapon Indestructible? I tried my own Item Module on FE12 to make regalia and legendary weapons indestructible (Uses set to 0), but I tested out Aura and it broke after a couple of uses.

If you can help then I'll try to update my Item Module with this information.

For FE 11 it is as follows: Setting Uses to 0 makes it indestructible. But the weapon will be unable to attack, so initiating a battle will result in only the enemy attacking. That however can be fixed by adding 0x08 to what I labeled as "Effect 4" in the tem Editor.

I don't think this will help you with FE 12 though...

Edited by Mariode

So I played around a little with your Module and it seems that FE 12 works the same as FE 11 does in regard of weapon usage (and pretty much everything else actually).

The code is also located at Effect 4, however it's not 0x08 but 0x10. With this, you can set uses to 0 while the weapon remains functional... I tested it with the Fire Tome and everything worked.

I assume it should work with any other weapon too... Hope this helps.

Also: I've got THIS

I just added a few things to your FE 12 Item Module... maybe it'll prove useful.

If so, you should consider updating your own download link to make sure my awesome work​ these additions don't get lost.

Edited by Mariode

So I have a few questions?

* Does this only work for windows?

* Does it allow you to alter Character growth?

* Can a Character's Bases be altered? Like giving Lorenz more respectable bases for the DS stat caps?

* How about Player, and enemy Class Growth?

* Can it alter Class Caps, or Base Stats?

* Does it allow you to units within a chapter, such as giving a stationary boss a ranged weapon?

*I'm not quite sure. I never bothered with it since I only use Windows´myself. I think I does not work with Mac. The only way would be to emulate Windows somehow. But I could be wrong.

*The Modules are actually by Blazer. I only Updated them/completed them. You can download the Characte Editor on his Website. "DS Nightmare Modules" is what you want. Extract the all the Editors and I recommend you to replace the Item-, Class-, and Unit Disppsition Editors and the related .txt files with my stuff.

*Yes both Craracter Bases and Growth are editable with the Character Editor. It's very simple.

*Player and Enemy Class Growths as well as Class Caps and Bases can all be altered with the Class Editor Module. Also very simple.

*Chapter Unit Editing can be done with the Unit Disposition Editors. (Also, you should download the latest Version if you have an earlier one as the Modules are more user-friendly now.) You can Change Characters, Classes, Items, Starting Position, "Abilities" (such as Sieze-Power) and Droppable Items.

Just make sure to extract (I recommend Nitro Explorer 2b) and decompress the Database and the Chapter Files with BatchLZ77 and NOT Nintenlord Compressor Everything should be clear after reading through Blazers Doc. It may sound complicated at first, but it's fairly easy.

Edited by Mariode

* Thank you for the information, unless I can get it to work with WINE, looks I'll have to hold off on it until I get a good windows.

* Right, I remember Blazaar making one in the past.

* Sounds great, I have several ideas for class, and character balance if you're interested in hearing them?

* Thats great, one thing that could be done is giving the Pirate Class unique growths!

* Interesting? Would I be able to create a new enemy, or only alter an existing enemy unit into a different enemy unit such as a mini boss with a portrait?

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone , sorry for my very bad english, i have a probleme with the module unit editor. I use nightmare with shadow dragon european version , the class and the item editor function but when i use chapter editor that show nonsense value .i want modified the starting item .

Someone can help me ?

thanks you 

Edited by Cesar

Yes , i use dslazy for extract the database files and decompress etc . The module function when i edit  item and class but for chapter éditor that show me weird value.

Ps : i try with the north american version and this show the same problem:wacko: 

IMG_2268[1].JPG

Edited by Cesar

Judging from the name of your file ("data.gba"), I can see you're using a decompressed database to edit the Chapters. For Chapter Editing you have to use the "bmapXXX" files located in the "dispos" folder. Keep in mind that they need to be decompressed as well.

EDIT: Juding from the name of your file yet again, I can tell you are using Nintenlord's Compressor. As General Horace said, you should use Batch LZ77 rather than Nintenlord's Compressor.

Edited by Mariode

39 minutes ago, Mariode said:

Judging from the name of your file ("data.gba"), I can see you're using a decompressed database to edit the Chapters. For Chapter Editing you have to use the "bmapXXX" files located in the "dispos" folder. Keep in mind that they need to be decompressed as well.

EDIT: Juding from the name of your file yet again, I can tell you are using Nintenlord's Compressor. As General Horace said, you should use Batch LZ77 rather than Nintenlord's Compressor.

Thank you , it work!! thank you a lot !