"Nintendo Switch", News and Discussion on Nintendo's New System - It's Launch Time!

Jave

One thing I noticed is that it seems that it might not have backwards compatibility with the Wii U games.

If there's no interface to place the discs, then probably not.

Given what looks like a number of Wii U ports, I can imagine they might not want the option for people to just stick with the Wii U versions of games?

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least we can:

Finally dock our 3DS to our Television

or

Finally take our Wii U with us for local WiFi

also AtLUS has confirmed library involvement so that's hopeful

Nah, this can only mean SMT#FE II

Man, I need Switch already, now I can finally not be in the TV to play games and I can be with friends and family all along.

Also, the thing that hypes me most is Platinum Games being in the chart as well, which makes me hope for Bayonetta 3 AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

Edited by Quintessence

We have Breath of the Wild, possibly a new Mario game, probably Skyrim remastered, several Wii U ports, and maybe some other things, too. Oh, and the two new Sonic titles. So there's a lot of good games coming to the Switch.

And Dragon Quest XI, though there's no word on a localization of that and it has PS4 and 3DS versions as well. We do know all three versions of DQXI will be out before May 27, and simultaneously released, so I wouldn't be surprised if Japan gets it as a launch title.

The west certainly won't, though, because hahahahaha worldwide release dates for DQ games.

You're definitely the most pessimistic person in the four websites I'm checking for impressions. And that includes GAF and Twitter.

Will edit the thread soon.

You clearly have not been on GameFAQs. Though that it is to be expected. On the flipside, I see people overly getting excited on being shown very little.

It looks fairly nice and innovative in the way Nintendo usually do, but that doesn't mean that it'll be good necessarily. That list of third parties does give me a little more hope, though. Interested as always in seeing what From Software are doing.

I also was expecting it to be $350-400, honestly. Perhaps I'm off base in the regard since Nintendo have been the cheaper alternative for a while now but it depends on how powerful it is.

Edited by Tryhard

Speaking of handhelds, just because you are able to play the Nintendo Switch as a handheld, doesn't mean there won't be another console this generation.

Maybe Nintedo has another console on the works that has dual screen function.

You're definitely the most pessimistic person in the four websites I'm checking for impressions. And that includes GAF and Twitter.

Will edit the thread soon.

Well, I'm not a life-long full-on Nintendo fan. I put my share of hours into the Wii, but the DS and 3DS are where the majority of my gaming hours lay (with the Wii evenly split with the Xbox 360). Most of those hours were in 3rd party titles, believe it or not.

The Nintendo Switch looks like a system that panders to die-hard Nintendo fans with a questionable portability factor (albeit, the least of it's issues) and a pricepoint that's way too much for a handheld. Plus, the 3rd party support situation feels scarily like the Wii U's.

I may be jumping the gun a bit, but this really doesn't look like a success to me.

We have Breath of the Wild, possibly a new Mario game, probably Skyrim remastered, several Wii U ports, and maybe some other things, too. Oh, and the two new Sonic titles. So there's a lot of good games coming to the Switch.

Not that big on Zelda, but I may try Breath of the Wild.

Skyrim I have for PC, and the main reason I play Skyrim is for the mods, not the vanilla experience.

I haven't been big on Sonic games since Sonic Adventure 2. I did pick up Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog, but after that I stopped playing them.

Mario is normally pretty good, and if it's a new 3D Mario game, then I may pick that up.

As for ports, since I don't see any real physical mechanism (The Switch is cartridge based, right?), I'm thinking Nintendo is going more and more digital. So, port-wise I'm hoping for a system similar to the Wii eShop to Wii U Shop. Essentially, there is a port, and if you already own the title, you can "upgrade" to the port by paying a small amount. Of course, it would be better if it was free and may even be free for early adopters, but otherwise they may just end up charging full price again for the game.

If there is no true backwards compatibility, that will suck. However, if I can still play digital ports on the Switch, then it should be fine.

Edit: As for my hype, I consider myself a Nintendo man, so I am obviously biased.

If I stood back and analyzed the Switch, people who wanted pure Console or Handheld experiences will likely question it and not bother. If one wanted a powerful console, they will probably go for Playstation or Xbox. If one wanted a handheld, the current products are the 3DS and the Vita, but most things on are mobile nowadays as casual experiences.

Nintendo strives for innovation, which can either strike gold or be left in the dust. I think people rather stick with the tried and true stuff instead of jumping straight into new technology unless everyone else is using it. There's a marketing thing somewhere that demonstrates this (early adopters, early buyers, late buyers, those who will never care) type of thing.

Granted, all of this is off of a 3 minute video. We should try and wait before jumping to conclusions, even though speculation can be enjoyable at times.

Edited by Sire

Well, I'm not a life-long full-on Nintendo fan. I put my share of hours into the Wii, but the DS and 3DS are where the majority of my gaming hours lay (with the Wii evenly split with the Xbox 360). Most of those hours were in 3rd party titles, believe it or not.

The Nintendo Switch looks like a system that panders to die-hard Nintendo fans with a questionable portability factor (albeit, the least of it's issues) and a pricepoint that's way too much for a handheld. Plus, the 3rd party support situation feels scarily like the Wii U's.

I may be jumping the gun a bit, but this really doesn't look like a success to me.

I think you're jumping the gun here, its portability is, at least from what was shown, not restricted to area like the Wii U, so that's a plus. You have a home console and a portable console hybrid, and among the 300 USD is more than fine to me. It is added value to what we currently play. Edited by Quintessence

Speaking of handhelds, just because you are able to play the Nintendo Switch as a handheld, doesn't mean there won't be another console this generation.

Maybe Nintedo has another console on the works that has dual screen function.

Everything we know points towards the Switch trying to phase out both. Leaks, the concept, developer remarks... it really doesn't seem likely.

I think you're jumping the gun here, its portability is, at least from what was shown, not restricted to area like the Wii U, so that's a plus. You have a home console and a portable console hybrid, and among the 300 USD is more than fine to me. It is added value to what we currently play.

I barely play consoles anymore- most of my gaming is done handheld. The system is focusing on the long-time Nintendo fans- the 3DS did no wonders with a $250 price point, so something even more expensive won't work for most of the people who bought the 3DS.

It most certainly looks pretty appealing to me. But with all these moving parts, it makes me wonder how durable the console is going to be. That's pretty important for an handheld.

Anyway, I'm not sure how the Switch could possibly kill Nintendo's handheld market. Either the console is going to be actually successful enough to succeed the 3DS or it doesn't and the 3DS will stay relevant.

Edited by BrightBow

Apparently...the Switch is Region Free...

(In other words, you can play the games from Japan, Europe, or here if you want too!)

......we're finally free my friends ... :Joshua:

(Wait...let me find a reliable source before getting hopes up)

Edited by Busterman64

(In other words, you can play the games from Japan, Europe, or here if you want too!)

Source?

Because that would mean that I can import Dragon Quest XI.

The Mario Kart I saw felt like MK8, I may be wrong though.

It's definitely not MK8 itself, as you can see King Boo as a playable character. Coul be an expanded port, though.

May I ask you the source of this news?

I must say, I'm quite excited for it, tough I do fear that it may become a possible flop like WiiU.

Source?

Because that would mean that I can import Dragon Quest XI.

May I ask you the source of this news?

I must say, I'm quite excited for it, tough I do fear that it may become a possible flop like WiiU.

My bad, I got so happy when I saw it, I forgot to look up a source! Sorry! I'll look it up, give me a minute or two...

It most certainly looks pretty appealing to me. But with all these moving parts, it makes me wonder how durable the console is going to be. That's pretty important for an handheld.

Anyway, I'm not sure how the Switch could possibly kill Nintendo's handheld market. Either the console is going to be actually successful enough to succeed the 3DS or it doesn't and the 3DS will stay relevant.

It's set to replace both- the 3DS is on it's last hurrah and the Wii U's being lowered into its grave. The higher pricepoint will turn away people looking for a handheld- the customers who kept Nintendo afloat while the Wii U underwhelmed.

Big thing no one has noticed yet:

It uses cartridges.

Well, that's what the earliest leaks were suggesting.

I can pin my general negative reaction partially on there being nothing wowing about it- virtually everything that was shown lines up with what was leaked.

The source fro the region free thing was from a leak/rumour earlier this month, apparently.

https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/09/02/rumor-what-should-we-expect-from-the-final-nx-product/

Since it's a rumour it should be taken with several grains of salt, but apparently this one has been right about a lot of things, so people are thinking it might be true.