"Nintendo Switch", News and Discussion on Nintendo's New System - It's Launch Time!

Jave

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, Skyrim remastered and NBA2K17? Late ports of 3rd party titles?

This seems like it's landed right in that awkward middle where it's going to be a handheld that's trying really hard at being a console and not succeeding at either.

At least we know that it will have Wii U ports.

At least we can:

Finally dock our 3DS to our Television

or

Finally take our Wii U with us for local WiFi

also AtLUS has confirmed library involvement so that's hopeful

man i get to play skyrim 5 to 6 years after it came out

it looks interesting, at least. i'm not sure it will fare any better

they really do need to work on their names though - i believe it was called the 'duo' in a leak and that isn't any better

Edited by Tryhard

At least we can:

Finally dock our 3DS to our Television

or

Finally take our Wii U with us for local WiFi

And I just realized "Damn, Etrian Odyssey is kinda ruined without dual screens. Wonder what Sunwoo's thinking."

The Nintendo Switch. That's not as radical a departure from when the Revolution was to be called the Wii. We all know how well the Wii sold, so we can at least hope the Switch will be more successful than the 3DS and the Wii U, and also maybe outsell PSVita. This really was a novel concept by Nintendo, as you have a console, a handheld, and two controllers, all on one thing, and it kinda looks like a tablet.

Looks neat. It looks like it can play Wii and Wii U games (unless those are ports for the Switch). The question is battery life and performance when handheld.

Also new 3D Mario (I think).

Hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype

SMT5 pls

they really do need to work on their names though - i believe it was called the 'duo' in a leak and that isn't any better

This name is miles better than Wii U. I'm just glad they didn't call it the Wii U 2.

Might as well write down thoughts while watching... (Not replying on anything else at the moment.)

Start - Nintendo Switch? Okay, another odd name for Nintendo...

0:10 - TV Support. Consoles ahoy!

0:30 - Houston, we have an upgraded Wii U.

0:40 - Science, we have a breakthrough! Console quality games are portable?!

0:50 - Seriously, this probably is what will sell the Switch. Handheld gaming here!

1:10 - Mini TV with mini "Wii Mote + Nunchuck" combo! On a plane! A PLANE! (Also, Skyrim, but that's old already.)

1:25 - Handheld to Console Switch. I'm liking this more and more.

1:40 - Mini-Splitscreen! Granted, it's on a small screen, but it's still there.

2:15 - A Mario Title that I do not recognize, but that may be because I haven't touched a 3D Mario game since Galaxy 2. What is this one?

3:00 - Splatoon on Nintendo Switch, I suppose.

General Thoughts

Looks like a superior Wii U, especially for those who like using the Off-TV Feature. It is a hybrid between Console and Handheld, so specifications wise I expect it to be more powerful than the Wii U, but probably still weaker than the next Playstation or Xbox who tend to go for hardware. (PC Master Race *cough*)

From what I have seen, I'm sold on day one. The ability to "Switch" is such a useful functionality since I do play Off-TV a fair bit, and the ability to play the games anywhere like my 3DS is also a plus for me. The only question is, will there be good games on it at launch?

Edit: Okay, but I wonder if the Nintendo Switch will have classic Wii Mote and Nunchuck support for older titles. Actually, I wonder how they will handle the older generation games...

Edited by Sire

Nintendo may have just killed their handheld market- what was keeping them afloat.

They must be banking on mobile to be a massive success, because I see Wii U 2 written all over this. A $200 handheld SKU is the only way I see this staying afloat.

Also, leaks were 100% right. Hah.

The only question is, will there be good games on it at launch?

We have Breath of the Wild, possibly a new Mario game, probably Skyrim remastered, several Wii U ports, and maybe some other things, too. Oh, and the two new Sonic titles. So there's a lot of good games coming to the Switch.

Interesting. I'll wait to see more of it to decide when/if I'll buy it. Not that excited, but not disapointed either. Some rumors about the concept and the design (especially the design of the "screen") were true nonetheless.

If they release a NSwitch Fire Emblem I'll sure buy it

Edited by Brand_Of_The_Exalt

This is actually really interesting! I'm excited for this!

Nintendo may have just killed their handheld market- what was keeping them afloat.

They must be banking on mobile to be a massive success, because I see Wii U 2 written all over this. A $200 handheld SKU is the only way I see this staying afloat.

Also, leaks were 100% right. Hah.

How exactly does this kill their handheld market? This console is a handheld.

Hey guys, not sure how accurate this is, but its going around on Twitter(it came up after the reveal, but take it with a grain of salt to be safe):

CvN42tCVMAEQAv_.jpg

...It's straight from Nintendo themselves.

Also Epic Games. Hah hah hah.

Have to wonder how long these partnerships will last. Certainly looks more "unprecedented" than the Wii U's.

Seems like I'm the most pessimistic person in here.

I also found this, which is supposedly from NVidia, but maybe take it with a grain of salt:

"Nintendo Switch is powered by the performance of the custom Tegra processor. The high-efficiency scalable processor includes an NVIDIA GPU based on the same architecture as the world’s top-performing GeForce gaming graphics cards.

The Nintendo Switch’s gaming experience is also supported by fully custom software, including a revamped physics engine, new libraries, advanced game tools and libraries. NVIDIA additionally created new gaming APIs to fully harness this performance. The newest API, NVN, was built specifically to bring lightweight, fast gaming to the masses.

Gameplay is further enhanced by hardware-accelerated video playback and custom software for audio effects and rendering.

We’ve optimized the full suite of hardware and software for gaming and mobile use cases. This includes custom operating system integration with the GPU to increase both performance and efficiency."

Edited by Brand_Of_The_Exalt

One thing I noticed is that it seems that it might not have backwards compatibility with the Wii U games.

But then again, it might have backwards compatibility witth the 3DS games, which might actually be better.

This is actually really interesting! I'm excited for this!

How exactly does this kill their handheld market? This console is a handheld.

It's going to be at a higher price point almost certainly, with the leaks pegging $300+. It has no dual screen support, making certain games' UIs much more cluttered (Monster Hunter, Fire Emblem) or downright requiring an overhaul (how's somebody supposed to play Etrian Odyssey, or anything that made prominent use of the 3DS touch screen, without it?).

The $300+ price point is the real stickler- $250 is too much for a handheld, and most people are in the market for Nintendo handhelds instead of consoles. Plus, it's almost certainly not going to be competitively specced- so there pandering to the hardcore market will go nowhere and fizzle out (like the Wii U).

Until we see a cheaper handheld SKU, the Nintendo Switch seems like the Wii U 2.0 without the 3DS to actually make money.

Edited by The DanMan

...It's straight from Nintendo themselves.

Also Epic Games. Hah hah hah.

Have to wonder how long these partnerships will last. Certainly looks more "unprecedented" than the Wii U's.

Seems like I'm the most pessimistic person in here.

You're definitely the most pessimistic person in the four websites I'm checking for impressions. And that includes GAF and Twitter.

Will edit the thread soon.