What the Nintendo Switch may mean for Smash

Jedi

Now this is pure speculation, figured I'd say my piece since I just got back from work and saw the Switch.

I think this may mean two things for the Future of smash.

Scenario A: Smash 4 gets a port/update, and we have our absolute final game in a "Special Edition" with all the DLC and maybe 1 or 2 additional characters, with a true final patch. The port would support both the Wii U & 3DS stages etc, due to the dual nature of the Switch.

Scenario B: Super Switch Brothers in a few years time. With Sakurai at the helm or not, although how they'd top 4's roster is beyond me, Also with a name like that maybe a central mechanic could be switching characters every stock.

Regardless, with 4's success in both the competitive community and doing well on a poor selling console, I don't see them dropping Smash in the future, Melee & 4 are still both still pretty big events etc, and with Ninty actually sponsoring events and being cool with Melee/4 being on a stage. I could potentially see something perhaps more along those lines in the future, but call me an optimist.

What do you all think?

Edited by Jedi

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a port is the most likely. feels too soon after 4 for a whole new game.

Another thing worth thinking about is the possibility of a Melee port if Gamecube VC becomes a thing.

Another thing worth thinking about is the possibility of a Melee port if Gamecube VC becomes a thing.

Yeah thats mostly why I said a few years at least with "B".

Switch seems like a primary opportunity for Smash 4 HD. Combining the 3DS and Wii U smashes into a port would sell tons of copies.

I agree. They could also add a few extra characters at launch and then support the game with patches and DLC for quite a while during the lifespan of the Switch. Then we get a new Smash from scratch for the Switch's successor.

I'd be shocked if the Switch didn't get Smash. It's always been one of Nintendo's best-selling games on their respective consoles.

But I think I'd prefer a new game over a Smash 4 port. I'd buy the game either way, especially if new characters were added to the port, but I personally haven't been playing Smash 4 as much as I used to. Plus, another Smash game within a year of release would boost sales quite a bit. Although the best thing to do from a business perspective would be to remake Melee for the launch window.

The gap between 64 and Melee was 2 years, so a new title is not out of the question.

But please... Sakurai... Melee HD.

Switch seems like a primary opportunity for Smash 4 HD. Combining the 3DS and Wii U smashes into a port would sell tons of copies.

Minor point, but isn't Smash Wii U already HD? So it's not really right to call it an "HD port." Edited by shinpichu

If we get Daisy and Dixie Kong as some extra characters, plus actual alternate costumes for characters (Vanguard Ike and Mr. L Luigi plz...) I'm all for this.

The gap between 64 and Melee was 2 years, so a new title is not out of the question.

Melee was developed in less than a year in order to have it ready for GC launch, however, Sakurai stated the huge amount of work put such a toll on him that he will never do anything like that again.

If we get Daisy and Dixie Kong as some extra characters, plus actual alternate costumes for characters (Vanguard Ike and Mr. L Luigi plz...) I'm all for this.

Yes! Funky Kong DK and every iteration of Link and Zelda, too!

I do think it's a bit soon for a new Smash, but I wouldn't mind it. An HD port of Melee would be cool too. And a port of Soul Caliber II GCN too, please!

Melee HD would be fine, but only with all the wavedashing and L-cancelling patched out.

Although, I'd prefer Brawl HD with no tripping.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

A Switch port of Wii U seems likely since the Wii U's other big games (Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon) are also seemingly getting updated ports, and the final wave of Smash amiibo still hasn't been released for no apparent reason. But how much content would it add? Let's review:

In around one year, Smash 4 received 7 characters (three veterans and four newcomers), 10 stages (four from past games, one from 3DS, one is mostly just Battlefield), 40 Mii Fighter costumes, several trophies and several music tracks through DLC. Assuming that Smash Switch (alternatively known as Swash or Smitch) was in development since DLC ended (and there's reason to believe that it has, since the Bayonetta nerf patch was released after Sakurai claimed that development was over), then there should be a similar amount of new content.

My most likely inaccurate guesses/predictions:

-Ice Climbers and Summit

-Inkling and Splatoon stage

-Wolf

-Gen. VII Pokémon and Sun/Moon stage

-Chorus Kids/Rhythm Heaven character and stage

-Dixie Kong? Probably not K. Rool, though

-Return of Snake with Shadow Moses? (Probably unlikely, but Konami is apparently supporting the Switch...)

-If not Snake, another third party character? An Indie?

-Breath of the Wild stage

-Mute City and Magicant from 3DS version

-Updated Smash Run

-More music

-Dragonborn

-Five more Fire Emblem characters

Edited by Lightchao42

hopefully something cool happens. the best thing for me would be if they ported melee in a usable format (basically, not like smash 64 on the wii).

Melee HD would be fine, but only with all the wavedashing and L-cancelling patched out.

Although, I'd prefer Brawl HD with no tripping.

lol brawl has glitches like dacus and broken infinites

Oh, if it's going to be a port of Melee, no thanks then. It's the only Smash game I've played that I dislike. I don't think I'd want a port of Brawl either though, because tripping and low tier Ike (though if the tripping was removed and some rebalancing was done...). Tripping is funny, but too random.

I'd prefer a brand new game above everything.

Edited by Anacybele

Smash 4 port with all DLCs (not including Mii suits) + combined content from 3DS and WiiU exclusive game modes = I'm all in! Since I didn't buy yet this last Smash (I swear you guys that I met TOO many people began to get into the Smash Brothers. franchise through Brawl, since, you know, Wii sales were quite astronomical comparing with the WiiU's ones, ...) so this idea could appeal well.

Edited by Erdall

Characters I'd like to see in Smash Bros. for Switch:

-Isaac

-Mike Jones

-Cross

-King K. Rool

-Alm

-Ephraim

-A Gen 3 Pokemon

-A Gen 5 Pokemon

-A Sin and Punishment character

-X and/or Zero

-Amaterasu

-Dillon

-Ninten

-A Tales character

Edited by Nohr Noble Gardy

Sakurai can't be working on another Smash now, he still deserves a break from the hard work that was Smash Wii U and 3DS. I think he should take several more months off before starting development on it, if he even will be the one to do so.

EDIT: I'd be down for Ephraim! We need a lance dude and he's awesome.

Edited by Anacybele

I could see there being a port of Smash 4. They'd add some new characters and stages to it, of course, like Ice Climbers. It's more likely they'll wait a few years and release an entirely new game. It probably depends on whether the Switch has backwards compatibility. It looks like it uses cartridges akin to the 3DS, so a port might be a necessity.

Characters I'd like to see in Smash Bros. for Switch:

-Isaac

-Mike Jones

-Cross

-King K. Rool

-Alm

-Ephraim

-A Gen 3 Pokemon

-A Gen 5 Pokemon

-A Sin and Punishment character

-X and/or Zero

-Amaterasu

-Dillon

-Ninten

-A Tales character

Which FE characters would you cut, or would you keep with the six we have plus Alm and Ephraim?

I'd like to get Tiki in Smash, tho Corrin has manakete covered *grumble grumble*

A Switch port of Wii U seems likely since the Wii U's other big games (Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon) are also seemingly getting updated ports, and the final wave of Smash amiibo still hasn't been released for no apparent reason. But how much content would it add? Let's review:

In around one year, Smash 4 received 7 characters (three veterans and four newcomers), 10 stages (four from past games, one from 3DS, one is mostly just Battlefield), 40 Mii Fighter costumes, several trophies and several music tracks through DLC. Assuming that Smash Switch (alternatively known as Swash or Smitch) was in development since DLC ended (and there's reason to believe that it has, since the Bayonetta nerf patch was released after Sakurai claimed that development was over), then there should be a similar amount of new content.

My most likely inaccurate guesses/predictions:

-Ice Climbers and Summit

-Inkling and Splatoon stage

-Wolf

-Gen. VII Pokémon and Sun/Moon stage

-Chorus Kids/Rhythm Heaven character and stage

-Dixie Kong? Probably not K. Rool, though

-Return of Snake with Shadow Moses? (Probably unlikely, but Konami is apparently supporting the Switch...)

-If not Snake, another third party character? An Indie?

-Breath of the Wild stage

-Mute City and Magicant from 3DS version

-Updated Smash Run

-More music

-Dragonborn

-Five more Fire Emblem characters

I agree with these, and I'd actually support what's in strikethru tbh

The Ice Climbers would be the most likely addition to a Port if they add anyone to it at all.

As the main thing limiting their appearance was their inability to be properly programmed on 3DS

I don't know how many would share my opinion, but if there is another smash game, I don't want a new developer unless they're Sakurai 2.0, because if they are too pandery (I don't think that's a word but, whatever), we could see ALOT of unnecessary cuts and additions (I will be holding tight to Sonic and Corrin as hard as my life).

I don't know how many would share my opinion, but if there is another smash game, I don't want a new developer unless they're Sakurai 2.0, because if they are too pandery (I don't think that's a word but, whatever), we could see ALOT of unnecessary cuts and additions (I will be holding tight to Sonic and Corrin as hard as my life).

I don't see Sonic or Corrin going anywhere even with a new developer.