What the Nintendo Switch may mean for Smash

Jedi

Which FE characters would you cut, or would you keep with the six we have plus Alm and Ephraim?

I would cut Lucina and Roy. They're not needed and really don't bring anything interesting or new. I don't think either of them should've been in Smash Wii U/3DS even, except as alternate costumes or models, maybe.

I do agree that if there's a new developer, that they should share a good portion of Sakurai's mindsets. Heck, I'd even like if it Sakurai advised the new developer and stuff.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Jedi (the quote's not working for some reason)

Sonic maybe, but Corrin is probally the most controversial character in smash (which is why I brought him up). I just don't see him being safe in the hands of another developer.

I support the notion of "Nobody ever gets cut unless there's no other way".

Because why would anyone want a character cut.

Edited by Jave

^AGREED

I mean, what do people think they'll gain from less characters? The only thing you'll gain is less content (and more angry fans).

Edited by Blade_of_Light

@Jedi (the quote's not working for some reason)

Sonic maybe, but Corrin is probally the most controversial character in smash (which is why I brought him up). I just don't see him being safe in the hands of another developer.

I think Cloud got alot more verbal hate/hype than Corrin, Corrin was just another "Fire Emblem character" Cloud was someone who quite a number of people felt had absolutely no place in Smash because of his lack of involvement in Nintendo stuff.

(KH spinoffs or not). While I'm a huge FF & FE fan, the backlash was alot more noticeable for Cloud than Corrin, same with Bayo to an extent, but that was for other reasons. With Fates success I think peoples annoyance of Corrin died down, along with their unique playstyle.

We'll probably get an updated port for Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U, with all DLC included. If they add any new content, then I'd bet it'd just be returning veteran characters, such as Wolf and the Ice Climbers, and maybe a couple returning stages. I feel like, if they add too many new things, then why not just make a new game? I mean, I wouldn't whine or cry about new things, but I'd still feel like...why not just make a new game? But, again, I wouldn't cry about it.

I'd also be down for Ephraim, and I'd just add him to the roster and not cut any FE characters. Roy most definitely brings some new and interesting things in, and Lucina is a nice extra character for her fans.

We'll probably get an updated port for Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U, with all DLC included. If they add any new content, then I'd bet it'd just be returning veteran characters, such as Wolf and the Ice Climbers, and maybe a couple returning stages. I feel like, if they add too many new things, then why not just make a new game? I mean, I wouldn't whine or cry about new things, but I'd still feel like...why not just make a new game? But, again, I wouldn't cry about it.

I'd also be down for Ephraim, and I'd just add him to the roster and not cut any FE characters. Roy most definitely brings some new and interesting things in, and Lucina is a nice extra character for her fans.

Probably because all the permissions Sakurai has to get, not to mention the hours, toils and other things that they had to put into 4, although I'm sure it'd be fairly simple to port models and movesets, I doubt people would appreciate a new Smash game so soon and with not that much new in comparison (I doubt they have an idea for how they'd want a Smash 5 to feel in comparison to 4 for instance). I'm pretty sure the competitive community of 4 would also feel a bit betrayed after they got it to take off, then again if the Switch version of 4 (if there is such a thing). Has even one new character or changes from 4, everyone has to jump to the new version anyways to keep playing competitively, a potential 300$ sink might not be much to tourney winners, but everyone else trying to keep up, might be out of luck if it comes to it.

Thats like my only potential issue with a possible port though, if it merged stuff it'd be pretty great, and it'd probably sell anyways, I just like trying to keep the various factions of the fanbase happy in terms of my thoughts I guess :P:

Edited by Jedi

I would cut Lucina and Roy. They're not needed and really don't bring anything interesting or new. I don't think either of them should've been in Smash Wii U/3DS even, except as alternate costumes or models, maybe.

I'll be fine with Lucina getting the axe, but Roy? Nooooo!

If Sakurai is working on a new project, I'd like it to be a new Kid Icarus. Kid Swicarus. Hades hinted at a return at the end of Uprising, so I hope it comes soon.

Or a Swirby.

Edited by Power Master

Yeah I suppose all of that makes sense, but still. If it adds too many new things, it'd feel kinda like a brand new entry, wouldn't it? Which, again, wouldn't be a bad thing.

Sorry for the long ol reply haha, but yeah I can see what you mean if they add quite a bit it would be a pseudo 5 in that case.

I've been speculating for a long time that Smash 4 would get an enhanced port for NX/Switch, and seeing the updated Mario Kart 8/Splatoon footage is just stronger evidence. I say "enhanced" port because I see them porting the game over but changing and adding a lot of content. So not as big a change as any Smash game has been to date, but still enough of a change that it's worth being considered a new game.

If they did make a Smash Switch, I'd like them to have the Classic mode of 3DS, along with hopefully an adventure mode. I'm not a fan of Smash Wii U's classic.

I'd personally prefer to have them wait a while and work on a brand new game. Give the Switch some time to grow, and let them make something that utilises the system's capabilities instead of just giving it the Wii U's leftovers. It'd also give time for the Switch to possibly establish one of its own franchises, and have it be represented alongside the likely Wii U newcomer (Inkling).

That said, despite my preference, I would still be okay with an enhanced port, if only because it means I wouldn't have to worry about any characters getting cut, what with one of my mains being a clone and all.

I've been speculating for a long time that Smash 4 would get an enhanced port for NX/Switch, and seeing the updated Mario Kart 8/Splatoon footage is just stronger evidence. I say "enhanced" port because I see them porting the game over but changing and adding a lot of content. So not as big a change as any Smash game has been to date, but still enough of a change that it's worth being considered a new game.

I really want to see stages like Magicant on a console for instance, and maybe online Smash Run?

I'd personally prefer to have them wait a while and work on a brand new game. Give the Switch some time to grow, and let them make something that utilises the system's capabilities instead of just giving it the Wii U's leftovers. It'd also give time for the Switch to possibly establish one of its own franchises, and have it be represented alongside the likely Wii U newcomer (Inkling).

That said, despite my preference, I would still be okay with an enhanced port, if only because it means I wouldn't have to worry about any characters getting cut, what with one of my mains being a clone and all.

See I'm honestly not sure of what direction they'd go with 5, so I can't say anything on what I think character wise would happen lol.

I'm thinking it'll be enhanced port with all the characters and all of the stages from both systems.

Hopes for it

-Bring back Big Blue

-Bring back some characters like Ice Climbers (Snake would be cool too...)

-Bring back Big Blue

-Add maybe a few new characters and stages

-Bring back Big Blue

-Have both Smash Tour and Smash Run.... I just find it weird that they didn't have smash run on the Wii U. It was probably my favorite part of the 3DS version, aside from some of the stages.

-oh, and bring back Big Blue.

I support the notion of "Nobody ever gets cut unless there's no other way".

Because why would anyone want a character cut.

For a number of reasons, actually.

1. Ever heard of the phrase "less is more"? It's kind of like the quality over quantity thing, which applies here as well. I'm all for a nice big cast, but if a lot of the characters aren't quality characters and just clones thrown in to forcibly inflate the roster, that's just laziness and boring. And this is what was done with Lucina and Dark Pit (and I'm a Dark Pit fan, to note). These two could've easily just been alternate models for Marth and Pit since there's almost NO difference between them. Dr. Mario, however, I give a pass because nowadays, he no longer shares the tornado with Mario, he has pills instead of fireballs, and is heavier etc etc. He has a few more differences from Mario, so he does have some quality to him now.

2. To keep within development time, a la Brawl. I'd rather cut Roy and Lucina instead of spending time trying to make them more unique since they're just more sword wielders when the development time could be spent on better things and characters that actually bring some cool stuff to the table. They could be made unique, but it'd be more difficult to do than characters who bring in a totally different weapon or characteristics something like that. Roy's sword flames were once a unique thing, but now Ike does that as well with a more unique (and even cooler) spin on it.

3. Technical difficulties, like with the Ice Climbers. This wouldn't apply to Roy and Lucina, but it's still a reason that characters have been cut.

4. He was a guest/didn't fit, like Snake. Snake bumped Brawl's rating up, remember? Again, it doesn't apply to Roy and Lucina, but it's still a reason that a character's been cut.

5. And lastly, not popular or not necessary, like Pichu. Roy is popular with the Smash community, but sadly for them, I feel he's not a necessity anymore (same with Lucina, I feel she isn't necessary either). I don't feel Jigglypuff is either, but since she's been around since the beginning of Smash, it'd feel awkward to cut her now.

EDIT: Oh, also, this is more of a personal thing, but I'm tired of the complaints that FE is getting overrepresented, and imo, adding Ephraim to a group of six characters is a little too much. I feel I would have no choice but to cut someone.

Edited by Anacybele

I'd like to bring up. There's no reason to cut Roy if you're still including Ike in the game. Unlike in Melee he fills in own niche in Smash 4, like Ike.

The argument semi-clone I feel doesn't apply as much for Roy anymore. His spacing habits compared to Marth differs in a sense. Marth is about keeping your spacing consistent at all times. Roy's is far more erratic, spacing sours in neutrals and sweets when you get a read or some sort of advantage. His grab game is also far more volatile, developing a bigger punish-centric game.

He plays vastly different than Marth, the issue is people put the comparison on how Marth plays on him, when that's a wrong way of comparing them.

Furthermore, Roy was popular amongst the casual Melee cast of characters, which is why he was brought back along with Mewtwo. You could argue Ike was brought back solely on the basis he was popular in Brawl.

I'd also like to remind you, Ike only has one move that has flames. and it's Eruption.

If you were to remove Roy on the basis his game is outdated, you should also be removing Ike. Roy fulfills a role, like Ike does for the Fire Emblem cast. He's the volatile, and fast sword character. Like how Ike is the slow, strong heavy sword character. (this is a generalization)

I see no reason to remove Roy.

I can see the argument for Lucina, but there's really no reason to remove them unless you're creating a brand new game from scratch.

EDIT: tl;dr the argument for removing Roy is also applicable for Ike. It would be illogical to remove one but not the other following your arguments.

Edited by Jiegg

I think if any FE character has to go, Ike should be the first one on the chopping block. Ike was added because of good timing, not because he helmed an important successful FE game. Robin, Lucina, and Corrin earned their way into Smash much more than he ever did.

I think if any FE character has to go, Ike should be the first one on the chopping block. Ike was added because of good timing, not because he helmed an important successful FE game. Robin, Lucina, and Corrin earned their way into Smash much more than he ever did.

Unfortunately, this is also true for Roy. Leif was going to be added until Sakurai saw them developing FE 6, and wanted to help market the game.

Though, since of Ike's games having poor sales, that could be a reason on putting him on the chopping block first.

However, I am still opposed of removing a portion of the FE cast. Though Lucina is somewhat unnecessary, her different hitboxes still creates slight differences like having a better MU with Sonic than Marth does.

Characters I'd like to see in Smash Bros. for Switch:

-Isaac

-Mike Jones

-Cross

-King K. Rool

-Alm

-Ephraim

-A Gen 3 Pokemon

-A Gen 5 Pokemon

-A Sin and Punishment character

-X and/or Zero

-Amaterasu

-Dillon

-Ninten

-A Tales character

I honestly think getting hyped for a new character would be like "dammit not this crap again".

I'd say just get the Ice Climbers back.

I love smash discussion, but honest to goodness I'm sick of the "I want this character in" lists and the salt associated.

And the discussion of "cut a character".

The "less is more argument" got "cut" by Sakurai because he doesn't want to offend anyone. He has stated this on official media.

However, I do believe I understand that each character has its own set of fans out there who really like that character.

So were not going to cut characters out of the way, were going to put in as many characters as we can, we really want to do that, because its good for the fans and good for all of us. But in the event that we do have to cut some characters, Id like to apologise in advance to those fans.

While your motives are all individual, I feel like Ana brought that up for no reason other than "I don't like Roy or Lucina."

You don't see me saying "Ike should be cut" because of my own personal opinion that his English voice isn't anywhere up to par as Roy's seiyuu. That's the kind of hostility you keep to yourself.

That's the kind of hostility Smash dudebros are known for.

Please don't insult him.

You have no idea how Japanese think.

Not to mention the amount of pressure he faces from international communities.

He doesn't want to offend anyone.

You don't embody that mindset. AT ALL.

You have no concept of "giri".

You are entitled to your opinions of game design.

But do not assume that you share mindsets of good game design with a man who is far beyond our collective comprehension. Least of all, someone who has a culture that is worlds different from your own that has a ridiculous, unmoving expectations of favoring the group vs. the individual.

調子に乗るな。

Edited by shadowofchaos

I'd like to bring up. There's no reason to cut Roy if you're still including Ike in the game. Unlike in Melee he fills in own niche in Smash 4, like Ike.

The argument semi-clone I feel doesn't apply as much for Roy anymore. His spacing habits compared to Marth differs in a sense. Marth is about keeping your spacing consistent at all times. Roy's is far more erratic, spacing sours in neutrals and sweets when you get a read or some sort of advantage. His grab game is also far more volatile, developing a bigger punish-centric game.

He plays vastly different than Marth, the issue is people put the comparison on how Marth plays on him, when that's a wrong way of comparing them.

Furthermore, Roy was popular amongst the casual Melee cast of characters, which is why he was brought back along with Mewtwo. You could argue Ike was brought back solely on the basis he was popular in Brawl.

I'd also like to remind you, Ike only has one move that has flames. and it's Eruption.

If you were to remove Roy on the basis his game is outdated, you should also be removing Ike. Roy fulfills a role, like Ike does for the Fire Emblem cast. He's the volatile, and fast sword character. Like how Ike is the slow, strong heavy sword character. (this is a generalization)

I see no reason to remove Roy.

I can see the argument for Lucina, but there's really no reason to remove them unless you're creating a brand new game from scratch.

EDIT: tl;dr the argument for removing Roy is also applicable for Ike. It would be illogical to remove one but not the other following your arguments.

No, Ike and Roy are COMPLETELY different. And I never said anything about Roy's game being outdated as a reason for cutting him.

Ike came in with a unique moveset and playstyle. Hell, he's STILL the only sword wielder in the heavyweight class, not counting DLC, maybe. (Ganondorf doesn't count either since he only uses his sword for one move and that move is a custom move) Roy came in as a clone and is still not very unique. And lolwut, he's not the one that brings the "volatile fast sword wielder" to the game, that's Marth. :/

Did you forget Great Aether? That move has fire too.

Not to mention that Ike has never been an unlockable character and has been a base character for two games now. He's more of a staple these days than Roy ever was and he's not going anywhere.

Ike's games weren't successful, but he is still popular among the FE AND Smash community and has become iconic for the series due to that. Roy still only has popularity with the Smash community. His game wasn't even out yet when he was added to Melee, Sakurai just picked him over Leif because he liked the design more. Ike already had two games to his name by the time Brawl came out, and both were international releases too.

The argument for Roy is nowhere near applicable to Ike, and I see no reason NOT to remove Roy.

I honestly think getting hyped for a new character would be like "dammit not this crap again".

I'd say just get the Ice Climbers back.

I love smash discussion, but honest to goodness I'm sick of the "I want this character in" lists and the salt associated.

And the discussion of "cut a character".

The "less is more argument" got "cut" by Sakurai because he doesn't want to offend anyone. He has stated this on official media.

While your motives are all individual, I feel like Ana brought that up for no reason other than "I don't like Roy or Lucina."

You don't see me saying "Ike should be cut" because of my own personal opinion that his English voice isn't anywhere up to par as Roy's seiyuu. That's the kind of hostility you keep to yourself.

That's the kind of hostility Smash dudebros are known for.

Please don't insult him.

You have no idea how Japanese think.

Not to mention the amount of pressure he faces from international communities.

He doesn't want to offend anyone.

You don't embody that mindset. AT ALL.

You have no concept of "giri".

You are entitled to your opinions of game design.

But do not assume that you share mindsets with a man who is far beyond our collective comprehension. Least of all, someone who has a culture that is worlds different from your own that has a ridiculous, unmoving expectations of favoring the group vs. the individual.

調子に乗るな。

lolwut? Where am I insulting him? Where did I ever assume I share exact mindsets with him? And why can't I have my opinions here? Go away, SOC. I won't tolerate you bashing me again.

Sakurai doesn't want to "offend" anyone? That's impossible, because no one can please everyone. I don't get why he'd ever say this.

Also, you're wrong. I do hate Lucina, but I don't dislike Roy at all. I don't really have much of an opinion of him since I never played his game and don't want to.

Edited by Anacybele

Please read it again. I was editing it to remove the possibility of misunderstanding.

Which you did.

Cutting a clone/semi-clone character, which he attributed to getting a free desert long ago is throwing that away.

For a possible port, no less.

Just because you don't like those two characters. What kind of discussion does that facilitate? How is that benificial other than to offend fans that already enjoy those characters?

How is the work the assets took, which you know... required them to rehire Roy's seiyuu for DLC, being thrown away benificial?

If I can call this bashing, it's me saying your opinion of cutting characters is not in any shape or form rooted in game design. It's rooted in your personal dislike of those two FE characters.

Tl;Dr

Your opinion is designed to talk crap about people who like those two characters. Aka the worst part of the reputation of smash bros. players.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Honestly Roy's vast popularity among casual Smash players seems reason enough to not remove him to me. And Rey might want to confirm/deny this, but I heard once that he (and FE6 in general) are pretty popular in Japan.

He got back in specifically because he was so popular with the casual fanbase.

And the differences in Sweet/Sourspots makes Roy pretty different from Marth in actual practice.