What the Nintendo Switch may mean for Smash

Jedi

You know with 58 characters I potentially thought the whole add/cut so-n-so discussions wouldn't be as prevalent, I can see I was wrong.

If there are any more super lengthy arguments on the topic, I'm gonna ask for this thread to be shut down, i've been sick of these dumb "semi-clone, cut, add, relevance" arguments since before even Brawl came out.

I sometimes forget how selfish everyone gets in terms of Smash. The "Future" of the franchise, isn't just freaking characters, especially when there are, freaking 58 near all unique ones nowadays.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Roy is the least cloney of all the clone characters and really barely a clone himself and should definitely not be cut as he brings new and unique things to the table as agreed upon by like 99% of people who have actually played as him. :D:

*Ahem*

Another thing that might be cool, if they were to port Smash 4 to the Switch, would be to bring back the cut Assist Trophies from Brawl, like Isaac. I know Golden Sun isn't exactly Nintendo's most popular or well-known series, but they did say Smash 4 was kind of a celebration of Nintendo's and gaming's history, right? Isaac is a part of that history, being popular within the Smash community and consistently one of the most requested characters. It always baffled me that they took out his AT.

Roy is the least cloney of all the clone characters and really barely a clone himself and should definitely not be cut as he brings new and unique things to the table as agreed upon by like 99% of people who have actually played as him. :D:

*Ahem*

Another thing that might be cool, if they were to port Smash 4 to the Switch, would be to bring back the cut Assist Trophies from Brawl, like Isaac. I know Golden Sun isn't exactly Nintendo's most popular or well-known series, but they did say Smash 4 was kind of a celebration of Nintendo's and gaming's history, right? Isaac is a part of that history, being popular within the Smash community and consistently one of the most requested characters. It always baffled me that they took out his AT.

I always figured that he may have been penned as playable but scrapped for whatever reason. Wouldn't be the first time.

I was quite-seriously wondering if NS (Nintendo Switch from now on, as people name it) has fair success compared with WiiU's sales, would you foresee more invited third party characters? Cloudy is a top-notch as the primest example (at least because he has never been in a Nintendo console), so may I ask ... who else could make it if a future Smash is in development? Klonoa? Isaac? (OMG GOLDEN SUN 4, CONFIRMED, LET'S GONNA HYPE!!1!) Crash Bandicoot? Rayman? Goemon? Bomberman?

did i really see marth described as a "volatile sword user"? that's the opposite of what he is. the minute marth steps out of line, he's dead. roy is the opposite; he wants to get in your face.

(sort of. This added property is actually a reference to Project M, if I remember right).

Any "reference" to Project M is pure coincidence. There's no way they would intentionally reference that.

(who would *probably* be King Dedede if I were to guess)

It would actually have been Wario. See: http://sourcegaming.info/2016/04/29/duflupdate/

I sometimes forget how selfish everyone gets in terms of Smash. The "Future" of the franchise, isn't just freaking characters, especially when there are, freaking 58 near all unique ones nowadays.

I must admit, I once was one of these selfish fans, and I really regret it. Back in the day I would have said I wanted someone like Dark Pit cut for no other reason than I dislike him or think it's "too much Kid Icarus," but now I'd rather have all characters stick around if they can.

While there are a few characters I want to see added, what I want most of all is a main mode that is actually good to replace Smash Tour.

I'm not trying to change your opinion. I'm just illustrating your logic isn't logic or based on game design principles.

It's purely on bias.

It implies your reason to cut them is "I don't like clones, screw everyone else who likes them. Oh and I'm not admitting one of my liked characters is a clone."

It's self-centered.

lol, still throwing the bias card and other BS around (I clearly admitted that Falco and Dark Pit, two characters I like, are cloney. Luigi is a semi-clone as well, but semi-clones are a bit of a different case for me than full clones, if you notice. Sometimes they get a pass from me, sometimes they don't, that's all). There's no point in arguing with you. I'm done here.

But one thing, can you stop blatantly lengthening your posts by pressing enter after every little sentence? It's annoying and hard to read.

Edited by Anacybele

I must admit, I once was one of these selfish fans, and I really regret it. Back in the day I would have said I wanted someone like Dark Pit cut for no other reason than I dislike him or think it's "too much Kid Icarus," but now I'd rather have all characters stick around if they can.

While there are a few characters I want to see added, what I want most of all is a main mode that is actually good to replace Smash Tour.

We all were, I'm guilty of it myself, I seem to recall us going at it a little bit in terms of Kid Icarus & Shulk stuff haha, but hey its all good. I'd really love for like an expansion of Smash Run, with online and stuff, because it would be fun as heck to play with friends around the world.

lol, still throwing the bias card and other BS around (I clearly admitted that Falco and Dark Pit, two characters I like, are cloney. Luigi is a semi-clone as well, but semi-clones are a bit of a different case for me than full clones, if you notice. Sometimes they get a pass from me, sometimes they don't, that's all). There's no point in arguing with you. I'm done here.

But one thing, can you stop blatantly lengthening your posts by pressing enter after every little sentence? It's annoying and hard to read.

There is certainly bias in your court, but that's neither here nor there anymore, also people can tend to do that sometimes when they want their points to be separated or easier to read, i'd like less arguing and outright attacks against characters in general, this applies to everyone involved.

I think that in the next SSB game every character that Ana likes should be cut from the roster :D:

In all seriousness, how about we all acknowledge that there are people who would be disappointed for any character that got cut, and be respectful of that?

I say every character should be cut and the only playable character should be Shrek

Whilst it's great that everyone has opinions, but I think they're all WRONG because they're not MINE. Generally, Sakurai's stance seems to be add whenever possible and only take away if either a technical problem (Ice Climbers or Pokemon Trainer) or if there's not enough time to reinclude them. If it's a straight up port or upgrade, I can't imagine there'd be any real cuts, maybe a few game modes that weren't ported but if anything stuff would be added.

The only thing that should be cut is Smash Tour.

I'd really love for like an expansion of Smash Run, with online and stuff, because it would be fun as heck to play with friends around the world.

And replaced with this.

I think this would make nearly every Smash U player happy.

I know my brother and cousin would be among the ones that wouldn't.

I think people should look at it this way: Every character in smash bros (I am willing to bet) has some people that hate them. Some have a larger hatedom than others, but many have some somewhere. If we cut every character just because they are disliked, we will have few characters left (I would even argue NONE). I am sure people would be less vocal about their hate if they used a more objective perspective (try saying that ten times fast.)

Edit:

@Ana (why is the quote not working??!?!?)

I think what SoC is trying to say is that you are saying you want certain characters cut because of your dislike of them, but in a gaming perspective (which is what really matters) there is no reason for them to actually be cut. Even if some people dislike the clones, there is professionally no benefit in cutting them out of the roster, and will only create more angry fans (I have a sister who would not be happy if Dark Pit was cut for example). You have nothing to gain, just lose.

And in the argument over semi clones, I think the point is that Roy himself is a semi clone. While he is not the most unique true, but he has enough differences to be alleviated from the "Full Clone" status. I say this as someone who has used both Roy and Marth, and I just can't use them the same way. The properties and attributes of their moveset are too varied from each other

But similar to what Jedi said, topics that are filled with pointless arguing have a tendency to get locked. And if you think about it, you two have gotten somewhat off topic as well. I just wanted to help clear any misconceptions.

Edited by Blade_of_Light

No matter what happens to Smash Bros with the Switch, it will likely be a success (both in sales and competitively). If I had to guess, a port of Smash 4 is most likely to happen, though I would prefer a new game or Melee HD.

Of course, there will inevitably be salt regardless of what happens, but by this point I've come to deal with it and let it go. What happens happens, and honestly, even if Smash for NS has a lot of features I don't like, I (and most others) will probably be satisfied with the end result.

Edited by Reloaded

I think what SoC is trying to say is that you are saying you want certain characters cut because of your dislike of them

And I've been saying that this is wrong because I don't dislike Roy, Dr. Mario, OR Dark Pit. I love Dark Pit and I think he should be cut in favor of Viridi if Sakurai really wants a third Kid Icarus rep.

I don't like clones or characters that don't feel like they bring anything new or interesting to Smash. I'm not judging a character for being that character, I'm judging a character based on how unique they are among the Smash cast.

Edited by Anacybele

And I've been saying that this is wrong because I don't dislike Roy, Dr. Mario, OR Dark Pit. I love Dark Pit and I think he should be cut in favor of Viridi if Sakurai really wants a third Kid Icarus rep.

Or he could add Viridi and keep Dark Pit, too.

Just a thought.

(I don't think Viridi is getting in because I don't think she's relevant enough, the point is just that Dark Pit's status means nothing for Viridi)

I don't like clones or characters that don't feel like they bring anything new or interesting to Smash. I'm not judging a character for being that character, I'm judging a character based on how unique they are among the Smash cast.

You can't cut a clone to add a completely original character. That's not how it works.

I'd rather have all characters stick around if they can.

My feelings exactly.

what I want most of all is a main mode that is actually good to replace Smash Tour.

And YES! I'd be completely fine with a replacement for Smash Tour, I was not a fan of it at ALL. It was just...dull and boring. And silly. And dumb...boring...not fun...laaaaame.

You can't cut a clone to add a completely original character. That's not how it works.

If you have the time and money, you can. I admit it this would be tricky though.

Or he could add Viridi and keep Dark Pit, too.

Just a thought.

(I don't think Viridi is getting in because I don't think she's relevant enough, the point is just that Dark Pit's status means nothing for Viridi)

It does mean something if Kid Icarus isn't to be over-represented, which I feel it is, and not just in the character department. Kid Icarus has more trophies and whatnot than any other series save for Mario and maybe Zelda. That's ridiculous. Sakurai's bias for it in the game was the one thing that really annoyed me. And I actually enjoyed Uprising, so you can definitely NOT say that I'm just hating on it. And I'm aware that it was easy for him to re-use assets from Uprising since he made that game, but I don't think that was an excuse to have so much bias for it in Smash 4.

Listen, guys, I'm not saying I'd go all nilly-willy with cutting characters nor am I saying that I would enjoy it. I would only do it if I feel it's the right decision. Like Sakurai, I'd honestly make as few cuts as possible.

Edited by Anacybele

If you have the time and money, you can. I admit it this would be tricky though.

This is a very simplistic view of the entire process and was addressed by quoting articles earlier in the thread that viewing clones as "could have been a real, unique character if we sacrifice enough of them" by Sakurai himself that this isn't viable.

If you want an even more detailed view of the character creation process, look at Project M and the Roy and Mewtwo they made.

All of the clones combined don't make up enough time to get another character.

Only if you eliminate all the semi-clones including Luigi would it be viable.

Edited by shadowofchaos

It does mean something if Kid Icarus isn't to be over-represented, which I feel it is, and not just in the character department. Kid Icarus has more trophies and whatnot than any other series save for Mario and maybe Zelda. That's ridiculous. Sakurai's bias for it in the game was the one thing that really annoyed me. And I actually enjoyed Uprising, so you can definitely NOT say that I'm just hating on it. And I'm aware that it was easy for him to re-use assets from Uprising since he made that game, but I don't think that was an excuse to have so much bias for it in Smash 4.

Listen, guys, I'm not saying I'd go all nilly-willy with cutting characters nor am I saying that I would enjoy it. I would only do it if I feel it's the right decision. Like Sakurai, I'd honestly make as few cuts as possible.

Sakurai can put in 5 Kid Icarus characters for all I care. The guy has sacrificed so much of his own personal life just to try to make everyone that plays Smash Bros. happy, he deserves to be a bit biased with the series he worked on.

Yeah guys, she'd only cut characters that she feels doesn't deserve a spot by her own arbitrary standards while characters she likes that falls under the same category would get some excuse to say. Sheesh.

Personally, I wouldn't make any cuts. Even characters like Lucina and Corrin, whose inclusions I was (and still am) fundamentally against. My opinion is that once a character is already in the game, it's too late for fans to justify cutting them. Because someone will love that character and will be upset to see them go.