Frosty sucks at Videogames...

Frosty

After hours of thinking and having conversations on private messaging here; I finally have made the courage to post my Let's Plays...

I'll be covering Aero Fighters / Sonic Wings (SNES), but eventually I'll move up to Aero Fighters 2 and 3 which are Arcade games.

Notes:

- My playthroughs will be divided into two modes; the Normal Mode will serve as your introduction to the playable cast. Hard Mode is when I decided to remove the kiddie gloves and show how can they kick ass. A word of warning though, the game can get merciless after you pass the first two or three stages even if you do play on NM.

- I'll touch Hard Mode once I finally complete runs of each character on Normal Mode. I might bother with a Boss Rush mode run too in which you'll be pitted against 6 of the game's bosses in a Time Attack mode.

- The two notes will not apply to the sequels since their difficulty is fixed. I'll only bother with one loop for the sequels since I'll be playing for the ridiculous endings. I'll make a two-loop run for the sequels in the near future.

Anyways, let's get started...

[ F/A-18 Hornet / Normal Mode - Keaton ]

Sub-weapon: Snake Napalm

Bomb: F.A.E (Fuel Air Explosive)

While this plane and the pilot (What a goofy dork...) are my favorites in-game. His plane is slightly worse than his Player 2 counterpart (F-14 Tomcat), the F/A-18 has okay movement speed, okay firepower although the subweapon is tricky to understand at first.

His rolling Snake Napalm attack relies on the direction you've went into. In detail, if you fire to the left; the napalm will trail to the left and if you fire while going to the right, the napalm will trail to the right. If you stay in place, the napalm will roll in a straight line. His bomb is life-saving since it activates pretty fast, it's similar to the P-38 Lightning from Strikers 1945. The F/A-18 will loop over and drop a powerful bomb which burns for a long time. It will nullify bullets and deal a pretty good amount of damage.

All in all, the F/A-18 is a nice plane, it can pack a nice punch against enemies, it has decent speed and a life-saving bomb which makes it a good pick for starters.

NOTE: Apologies if I did screw up in Part Two of my Normal Mode run; I got agitated in the Mediterranean stage which is the "That One Level" of the game thanks to its purple suicide jets all over the place and in the Final Stage, I tried point-blanking the final boss for a quick finish but ended up in a bad position thanks to a brain fart.

Edited by Frosty

Cool to see LPs of shmups I actually don't see these alot, I'll give em a good watch when I get the chance!

Hey thanks!

I just got another plane and pilot cleared; and I'll be posting them here once I get a perfect time window to secure.

EDIT: CURSE YOU TYPO!

Edited by Frosty

Hey thanks!

I just another plane and pilot cleared; and I'll be posting them here once I get a perfect time window to secure.

Sweet, I'll be waiting for it in my sub box.

Heads up! I'm including a poll in this thread...

I already selected the F-14 Tomcat (Pilot: Keith Bishop) as my third plane to play as for my Normal Mode Introductory runs.

The poll will determine who will go next; cast your votes! Highest votes will be the next pilot to be used in the next NM run and the one with the lowest votes will be the last one for NM run.

I will follow the same sequence once I conduct the Hard Mode versions and the Boss Rush mode complete with notes regarding the pilots in dealing with a boss gauntlet.

EDIT: Also included a poll for Aero Fighters 2 once I get everything wrapped up...

Edited by Frosty

I chose Mao for AF1, Spanky for AF-2. I really like seeing the Black Widow II in video games, even though it kinda sucks in real life.

After looking up for the YF-23 in real life... It pains me that there are like only two of them existing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and new video is up!

[ AV-8 Harrier / Normal Mode - William (misspelled as Villiam) Sid Pryde ]

I'll upload Part Two tomorrow but... review time for the pilot and plane!

Sub-weapon: Cross Missiles

Bomb: Carpet Bombing

The AV-8 Harrier boasts a spread shot in the game once powered up, this allows it to cover more areas to eliminate enemies. In order to make its straight firepower stronger, it gets forward-firing missiles that can hurt a lot!

The bomb attack of the AV-8 Harrier summons what appears to be a trio of Avro Vulcan bombers which will carpet bomb the heck out of everything. It won't nullify bullets right away since the bombs need to make their impact first hence it relies on anticipating the situations that you'll get stuck in a sticky situation so you can escape harm. This bomb attack also holds the honor for being the strongest in-game; being capable of critically damaging a boss or downright, destroying the boss!

Unfortunately, the AV-8 Harrier is also the slowest plane in-game; you will need to dive through waves of bullets sometimes instead of completely dodging everything that's thrown at you.

To put it in a nutshell, the Harrier is the game's powerhouse which is capable of dealing massive amounts of damage and can chew through bosses like a hot knife through butter. That power though, is counterbalanced by its slow speed but still it can be a good plane in the hands of an excellent player. Not recommended for newcomers.

EDIT: Part Two is now LIVE!

Edited by Frosty

I don't know if bumping this thread is allowed but...

[ F-14 Tomcat / Normal Mode - Keith ]

Part two coming soon but...

Time to cover the plane and pilot!

Subweapon: AIM-54 Phoenix Missiles

Bomber Attack: Tomahawk Barrage

The F-14 Tomcat in this game is... THE. GAME. BREAKER! Easily, it is the best in-game plane...

First and foremost; it has straight shots as a primary weapon, nothing special here... then it gets homing missiles once powered-up; they leave behind a burn-like effect which damages stuff even after impact. It's also nice to use these homing missiles deal with those pesky mooks that would show up.

For it's bomber attack; it summons a barrage of Tomahawk missiles which deals heavy damage but not as strong as William's carpet bombing but still... It can lay down the hurt on bosses.

Why is it a game breaker? Aside from being able to pelt enemies with a lot of damage (although not as strong as the Harrier); it's also pretty fast. You can just dodge in and out of fire and laugh at opponents with the homing missiles hence making it great for beginners.

EDIT: Part Two LIVE!

Edited by Frosty

Removed Mao from the Polls because UPDATE!

[ F-15J Eagle / Normal Mode - Mao ]

So far, I have part one live, part two coming soon due to uploading issues.

Subweapon: Piercing Laser

Bomber Attack: Time Freeze

This plane here is the complete opposite of William's AV-8 Harrier. If the Harrier is all about damage but is a slow plane; the F-15J is all about speed but has mediocre damage. Also, since it's very speedy; take caution in dodging bullet waves because you can bump into them by accident.

The good thing though is that the Piercing Lasers supplement the plane's rather mediocre offense dealing decent damage and immediately laying down the hurt on opponents that are lined up.

For its bomber attack, it's not a mass destruction bombing by missiles or bombers, or dropping a tactical nuke on the enemy. Instead, the F-15J emits an EMP shockwave that locks down opponents as if they're frozen in time. This allows you to damage them while they're helpless.

It's kinda meh on a one-player run, but it shines on two-player modes where that Time Freeze can be helpful to assist your partner.

EDIT: Part Two is now LIVE!

Edited by Frosty

Bumping this thread again...

I will close down the poll for the fifth pick tomorrow morning around 7:00 A.M (+8:00 GMT: Manila Time), I will start the fifth Normal mode run by around Wednesday.

Edited by Frosty

Removed Hien from the Polls because UPDATE!

[ F-2 a.k.a FSX / Normal Mode - Hien ]

Part two will appear soon...

Subweapon: Homing Missiles

Bomber Attack: Ninja Beam

It's slightly stronger than Mao's plane but it has a rather erratic fan-like spread when it comes to flinging its shurikens and at max power, a flurry of kunai.

Sub-weapon is actually nice; it fires a pack of homing missiles; 4 of them once you've get to the 3rd power level and 6 homing missiles at maximum power. It's great for taking out mooks that would dare stand in your way.

For its bomber attack, it charges up energy to unleash the Ninja Beam. It lasts for a while, nullifies bullets and deals okay damage. It activates quickly so it can save you from sticky situations.

All-in-all, Hien's FSX is pretty okay for a plane but it has a rather erratic way of firing its main projectiles.

EDIT: Part Two uploaded!

Edited by Frosty

UPDATING THREAD!

[ JAS-39 Gripen / Normal Mode - Tee-Bee / T.B A-10 ]

Subweapon: Floating Mines

Bomber Attack: Grand Napalm

Introducing the hardest fighter plane to master in this game which is the SAAB JAS-39 Gripen. This is piloted by the robot Tee-Bee a.k.a T.B A-10.

What does the Gripen bring to the table? For starters, its subweapon are Floating Mines. These mines would spin and deal heavy damage if the mines are shoved towards an enemy. An added plus is that they can act as a barrier as they can nullify bullets. The problem though is that even if you're shoving the mines into a certain direction is that they go in random directions making the mines quite hard to control.

For its bomber attack, it unleashes very large Fire Pillars which will deal heavy damage to anything it touches. The problem? It doesn't nullify bullets so be warned when using Grand Napalm. Also, this plane has a rather slow movement speed hence why it's so tricky to use!

All-in-all, Tee-Bee's JAS-39 Gripen is the most difficult plane to use despite of having pretty potent firepower as it has slow movement speed, an erratic but useful subweapon and a bomber attack that doesn't nullify enemy bullets.

NOTE: The part two video contains an alternative final boss. Sometimes it appears instead of the Rocket Ship that has a Skeletal Warhead when you trash that space shuttle.

Edited by Frosty

UPDATING PLAYLOG AGAIN!

[ Tornado IDS / Normal Mode - Lord River N. White ]

Subweapon: Burning Bombs

Bomber Attack: Missile Scattershot

It looks like it's not only the AV-8 Harrier which acts as the game's powerhouse. This one here is the Panavia Tornado IDS which has a subweapon that's clearly made to take down enemies in a short period of time.

The bombs which acts as the plane's subweapon are short-ranged; however when they make impact, they can deal heavy damage and leave behind a burn effect similar to the missiles fired by Keith's F-14 Tomcat.

As for its bomber attack. The Tornado IDS flips over sideways and fires a scattershot of missiles; while mediocre in damage... It activates quickly and get you out of bad situations.

Since it is a powerhouse plane, expect it to have slow movement speed but... but... It's not as slow as the Gripen or the Harrier.

EDIT: Part Two LIVE!

Edited by Frosty

HEY WE'RE FINALLY DONE WITH NORMAL MODE!

[ AJ-37 Viggen / Normal Mode - Kohful the Viking ]

Subweapon: Metal Storm

Bomber Attack: Thor's Hammer

Get your inner Viking ready because this plane here is piloted by one! The SAAB AJ-37 Viggen (which means Thunderbolt in English, or alternatively; the Tufted Duck) also combines power and speed into one package.

As a primary attack; it uses the same type of firepower as Keith's F-14, however Kohful's plane has a pretty potent sub-weapon which is "Metal Storm" consists of a pair of missiles blindly firing off to the left and the right alternatively, the missiles can deal pretty good damage.

For his bomber attack, the AJ-37 Viggen flips sideways and unleashes a pack of big homing missiles from its underside which will collide with anything it touches. They can deal good damage too but a little impractical against multiple targets since they sometimes miss the mark and it also does not nullify enemy bullet waves; although you get a short invincibility frame after activating the bomber attack.

COMING UP SOON... The Hard Mode + Boss Rush runs with the entire cast!

Edited by Frosty

Because today's my Birthday... I thought why not update!

[ F/A-18 Hornet / Hard Mode - Keaton ]

[ F/A-18 Hornet / Endurance Mode a.k.a Boss Rush Edition ]

Sorry for any screw-ups along the way... I kinda let my guard down at some points.

Nice runs, all around. Also I finally voted haha, DOLPHIN POWER

Thanks and...

AWESOME!

Although if I can't fix my Aero Fighters 2 ROM (which is having some pesky Arcade Emulator errors that won't get fix for some reason), that means I'll need to make a detour to Sonic Wings / Aero Fighters Special where the Dolphin is also playable.

Edited by Frosty

• 2 weeks later...

PLAYLOG UPDATED! We're halfway done with Hard Mode!

[ F-15J Eagle / Hard Mode - Mao ]

[ F-15J Eagle / Endurance Mode a.k.a Boss Rush Edition ]

Her lack of punch in her firepower somewhat bitten me in the face hard during the lategame parts...

Edited by Frosty

Hey! TWO UPDATES in One Post!

[ FSX / Hard Mode - Hien ]

[ FSX / Endurance Mode a.k.a Boss Rush Edition ]

Could have been better if only that one Suicide jet didn't appeared in the bottom-most part of the screen for the Boss Rush.

Main game though seems okay...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ JAS-39 Gripen / Hard Mode - Tee-Bee A-10 ]

I almost failed in the Hard Mode run for the Gripen... In the end, its slow speed really screwed me over... HARD!

Edited by Frosty

Here's a separate post for the Gripen's boss run due to video limits...

[ JAS-39 Gripen / Endurance Mode a.k.a Boss Rush Edition ]

Edited by Frosty

PLAYLOG Updated! Just one more playlog to upload...

[ Tornado IDS / Hard Mode - Lord River N. White ]

[ Tornado IDS / Endurance Mode a.k.a Boss Rush Edition ]

Good grief... He just tore the bosses of this game like a hot knife through butter...

Edited by Frosty

Here's the final playlog!

[ AJ-37 Viggen / Hard Mode - Kohful ]

[ AJ-37 Viggen / Endurance Mode a.k.a Boss Rush Edition ]

Tonight or Tomorrow, I'll be announcing the MvP for my Normal Mode, Hard Mode, Endurance Mode and of course, the Overall MvP for my Aero Fighters run. I'll be assessing the scores of the playable cast for NM and HM, and I'll look at the clear time for Endurance / Boss Rush Mode.

Edited by Frosty

Before we would head over to the part where I'll declare the MvP of this Aero Fighters playthrough, here are final thoughts towards the playable cast after covering them all in Normal, Hard and Boss Rush / Endurance modes.
===================================================================
FINAL THOUGHTS

Team USA

F/A-18 Hornet (Keaton)

I admit, while I did enjoy playing as my favorite pilot in this game... He seemed to be the Jack of all Trades among the playable cast. He's got good firepower, decent speed and great all around. He's the character who has no weaknesses and no noticeable strengths.

F-14 Tomcat (Keith)

Good grief, like I mentioned earlier at the Normal mode post. Keith is way better than his Player 1 counterpart (Keaton) and is a Game Breaker. His Tomcat is fast and deals quite the punch; extra nasty if you get his homing missiles which leave behind a burn effect. His bomber attack is very strong. Overall, he has an excellent arsenal and was quite fun to use in-game.

Unfortunately, the Tomcat ended up getting nerfed in the sequels probably because of this. It loses its burn effect on the missiles and its bomber attack has a longer delay.

Team U.K

AV-8 Harrier (William a.k.a Villiam)

Despite of being a slow plane, I actually liked playing the Harrier because it can deal ludicrous amount of damage in a short amount of time. It's bomber attack which calls in a carpet bombing just made short work of bosses, and oh... thanks to his spread shot; it somehow helped in dealing with the frustration that is the Mediterranean stage.

Just the like the Tomcat, as I would spoil to everyone here... It also ended up eating a nerf in the sequels. The bomber attack becomes a V-shaped Napalm blast; but it's not that much of a nerf since it can still eat bosses for breakfast!

Tornado IDS (Lord White)

I was actually surprised at the Tornado IDS when I decided to lay down the smackdown on bosses with this plane. The Napalm Bomb sub-weapon of this plane was the key to clear stages quickly. It shined even more on Hard Mode where it managed to critically damage or even outright destroying two of the lategame bosses.

Yes, it may be also a slow plane in-game but it's also fun. Not to mention, using the firewall tactic was extremely handy on certain stages to keep enemies from closing into your plane.

NOTE: The firewall tactic is basically spamming his napalm bomb sub-weapon; the bombs leave behind a burn effect upon impact and can be used as an offensive wall to damage enemies that would dare get close to your aircraft.

Team Japan

FSX (Hien)

Okay, despite of those erratic Kunai or Shuriken trajectories. Hien is pretty good and that's because he has the Homing Missile pack to cover up that problem of his projectiles flying randomly despite of the fact that he lacks in killing power. Also, that Ninja Beam has somewhat saved my ass in some situations.

F-15J Eagle (Mao)

Mao is also okay but again, just like Hien; her plane suffers from lacking the punch to take down bosses; especially in lategame stages. On the other hand though, I wouldn't belittle those lasers she's packing and that Time Stop bomb can be handy in dangerous situations.

Team Sweden

AJ-37 Viggen (Kohful)

Hahahaha... The Viking is quite an interesting plane to use; I admit it's fast and strong and those missiles that fire blindly on the sides are great to deal with those pests that would appear beside you. (I AM LOOKING AT YOU NEW YORK AND MEDITERRANEAN STAGES!)... The bomb is okay in damage but a little risky as it can't nullify bullets but hey, it does leave you with a small invincibility frame after use but I'd keep in mind to maneuver right away after the duration of the bomber attack.

JAS-39 Gripen (Tee-Bee A-10)

If William's Harrier is a slow but fun-to-use plane, this one here is the opposite; a slow and frustrating to use plane. I actually find Tee-Bee A-10's Gripen pretty tricky to use. While the mines are good on paper because they can actually nullify bullets; the fact that if you would shove them to damage enemies, they would fly into random directions which hampers its usefulness. The bomb is pretty strong but you need to dodge everything being thrown at you since it doesn't even nullify bullets!

While strong in attacks, the learning curve for the Gripen is pretty steep and difficult. But in theory, if you can master this plane; you can actually make yourself unhittable since the mines will take the hits for you.

Now, let's proceed to the standings of each characters in every mode....
NORMAL MODE
Keaton (F/A-18 Hornet) - 529,500 - (6th)
William (AV-8 Harrier) - 533,600 - (4th)
Keith (F-14 Tomcat) - 561,700 - (2nd)
Mao (F-15J Eagle) - 550,700 - (3rd)
Hien (FSX) - 574,200 - (1st)
Tee-Bee A-10 (JAS-39 Gripen) - 474,700 - (8th)
Lord White (Tornado IDS) - 529,900 - (5th)
Kohful (AJ-37 Viggen) - 525,900 - (7th)

Normal Mode MVP: Hien

HARD MODE
Keaton (F/A-18 Hornet) - 501,800 - (7th)
William (AV-8 Harrier) - 511,800 - (6th)
Keith (F-14 Tomcat) - 553,600 - (2nd)
Mao (F-15J Eagle) - 541,500 - (3rd)
Hien (FSX) - 565,300 - (1st)
Tee-Bee A-10 (JAS-39 Gripen) - 467,800 - (8th)
Lord White (Tornado IDS) - 530,000 - (5th)
Kohful (AJ-37 Viggen) - 533,100 - (4th)

Hard Mode MVP: Hien (again?!)

ENDURANCE / BOSS RUSH MODE
Keaton (F/A-18 Hornet) - 4:42:81 (4th)
William (AV-8 Harrier) - 3:19:73 - (1st)
Keith (F-14 Tomcat) - 3:22:69 - (2nd)
Mao (F-15J Eagle) - 4:52:14 - (5th)
Hien (FSX) - 5:01:76 - (8th)
Tee-Bee A-10 (JAS-39 Gripen) - 4:53:63 - (6th)
Lord White (Tornado IDS) - 4:54:88 (7th)
Kohful (AJ-37 Viggen) - 4:09:23 - (3rd)

Endurance / Boss Rush MVP: William

OVERALL STANDINGS
I will calculate their standings from the three modes and then divide it by three so I can get their average ranking. The lower the value, the higher the character's standing in the leaderboard for this playthrough. The overall MvP is the one who gets the lowest value in the average calculations.

Formula will be: (NM Rank + HM Rank + Endurance Mode Rank) / 3

Keaton (F/A-18 Hornet) - (6th - NM, 7th - HM, 4th - Endurance) - 5.66 (5th TIE)

William (AV-8 Harrier) - (4th - NM, 6th - HM, 1st - Endurance) - 3.66 (2nd TIE)

Keith (F-14 Tomcat) - (2nd - NM, 2nd - HM, 2nd - Endurance) - 2 (MVP)

Mao (F-15J Eagle) - (3rd - NM, 3rd - HM, 5th- Endurance) - 3.66 (2nd TIE)

Hien (FSX) - (1st - NM, 1st - HM, 8th - Endurance) - 5 (4th)

Tee-Bee A-10 (JAS-39 Gripen) - (8th - NM, 8th - HM, 6th - Endurance) - 7.33 (6th)

Lord White (Tornado IDS) - (5th - NM, 5th - HM, 7th - Endurance) - 5.66 (5th TIE)

Kohful (AJ-37 Viggen) - (7th - NM, 4th - HM, 3rd - Endurance) - 4.66 (3rd)

OVERALL MVP: Keith

- Okay, what a surprise... I honestly thought that Hien was going to steal almost all the trophies for my playthrough but it seems our Ace in Aero Fighters (SNES) run is none other than Keith and his F-14 Tomcat. Congratulations Keith!

"Anyways, you said you wanted to take a vacation, now you can go and take a break; you've deserved it because you are the MVP!"

*cue applause from the audience*

And now for the true finale....

*insert ridiculous aerial stunts here*

*Do you know what happens if you make a Hornet do multiple barrel rolls?*

*Do you really wanna know?!*

*Seriously... You wanna know?*

*Spoilers: It will involve a dizzy Let's Player inside a cockpit*

Okay fine... I'll show it now!

Keaton: No! Not in the cockpit!

Frost: Urghh... But I can't take it anymore...

someone_s_gonna_blow_chunks_in_the_cockp

*some seconds later*

*removes mask*

BLLARRGGHHHHHHHH!!!!

See you next time guys! The next game in line is Sonic Wings / Aero Fighters Special since AF2 and AF3 aren't still working up to now. I will take a little rest from this playthrough before I would tackle the game.

See ya soon!

Edited by Frosty