Super Smash Bros. Switch Speculation

Lightchao42

Also known as "Super Swash Bros." or "Super Smitch Bros."

What does the Switch mean for the future of Super Smash Bros.? Do you think there will be a updated port of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, as with Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon? Or will we get a completely new game in a few years time? What characters will be included? Will Ridley still be too big? Will we finally get the "true" ballot winner? Use this thread to discuss your thoughts and predictions! Just remember to stay on topic this time.

My predictions, if Smash 4 does get an updated port:

-Ice Climbers and Summit

-Inkling and Splatoon stage

-Wolf

-Gen. VII Pokémon and Sun/Moon stage

-Chorus Kids/Rhythm Heaven character and stage

-Dixie Kong? Probably not K. Rool, though

-Return of Snake with Shadow Moses? (Unlikely, but if Konami is apparently supporting the Switch...)

-If not Snake, another third party character? An Indie?

-Breath of the Wild stage

-Mute City and Magicant from 3DS version

-Updated Smash Run

-More music, trophies, items, Pokémon, Assist Trophies, etc.

-Dragonborn

-Five more Fire Emblem characters

Edited by Lightchao42

I'd hope for a DQ character/stage, but it'll probably never happen.

Ice Climbers returning is probably the most likely thing we can say, since they were only cut because the 3DS processors couldn't handle it. If the NX is at least as strong as the GCN (and it almost certainly is) I'd say we can count on them coming back.

All I really would like are Daisy, Dixie Kong, and some actual alternate costumes for more characters. Seriously, why do only Wario, Bayonetta, and Cloud get true alternate costumes when several other characters have known alternate outfits and obvious characters they could copy the outfits of as well? Mario and Luigi got a whole wardrobe of power-up outfits, plus Luigi's got Mr. L as well which mostly could be a palette swap (the only addition the model would need is the green scarf). Link's had outfits like the Zora Armor and Magic Armor from TP. Toon Link could have the engineer outfit from Spirit Tracks and/or that weird lobster shirt from TWW. Zelda could get a Hilda palette/outfit. Sonic could have Shadow as an alt model/palette. Pac-Man could have Mrs. Pac-Man. Ike has his Vanguard armor, Robin and Lucina have their promotion outfits, and so on.

Pokemon should have their shiny colorations as well, imo.

Edited by Anacybele

I don't think a port of Smash 4 with a only a couple new characters will suffice. Smash Bros are big event games that are all about fan service, they have to go big or not bother at all.

If Smash Switch is Smash4 port, I expect everything from the Wii U version to carry over, including DLC. Some 3DS stages to be up-ported (Pac-Maze and Magicant PLEASE), and some extra stuff, including additional characters, of which I expect:

Wolf and Ice Climbers. The more obvious veterans, who were cut likely for reasons beyond Sakurai's control. No reason to keep them out now.

Inkling. Really the most obvious pick for a newcomer. Great moveset potential, well-known and beloved character from Nintendo's most successful new IP last gen, and it even has a game coming for the Switch. A no-brainer pick.

Rhythm Heaven character. Since Sakurai intended this series to have proper representation in Smash4 (due to an RH icon discovered among the unused data), it's safe to say we might get a character. However, instead of the rumored Chorus Kids, I'll take someone like Tibby with a moveset made out of multiple RH characters and items (Karate Joe, See-Saw, Clappy Trio, etc.)

I also think we'll get one character from an still-unannounced Switch game that would work as extra promotion. Someone like Terra Branford if the rumored FF6 remake turns out to be true.

Afterwards, the game will remain supported through patches and DLC.

I also think we'll get one character from an still-unannounced Switch game that would work as extra promotion. Someone like Terra Branford if the rumored FF6 remake turns out to be true.

Afterwards, the game will remain supported through patches and DLC.

Whats interesting about this is that in one of Sakurais interviews about Cloud, he mentioned that Terra, along with Bartz were his other go to picks for an FF character.

If Smash Switch is Smash4 port, I expect everything from the Wii U version to carry over, including DLC. Some 3DS stages to be up-ported (Pac-Maze and Magicant PLEASE), and some extra stuff, including additional characters, of which I expect:

Wolf and Ice Climbers. The more obvious veterans, who were cut likely for reasons beyond Sakurai's control. No reason to keep them out now.

Inkling. Really the most obvious pick for a newcomer. Great moveset potential, well-known and beloved character from Nintendo's most successful new IP last gen, and it even has a game coming for the Switch. A no-brainer pick.

Rhythm Heaven character. Since Sakurai intended this series to have proper representation in Smash4 (due to an RH icon discovered among the unused data), it's safe to say we might get a character. However, instead of the rumored Chorus Kids, I'll take someone like Tibby with a moveset made out of multiple RH characters and items (Karate Joe, See-Saw, Clappy Trio, etc.)

I agree with most of this (I had four out of five on by own list, after all), but Terra's problem is that FFVI being remade wouldn't automatically make her as famous as Cloud, since his popularity is the main reason why he got in over any other Final Fantasy character.

Whats interesting about this is that in one of Sakurais interviews about Cloud, he mentioned that Terra, along with Bartz were his other go to picks for an FF character.

Not quite. Sakurai's statement on the matter implies that he didn't seriously consider any FF character other than Cloud:

Sakurai: But on the other hand, if you think about who to add from Final Fantasy, it’s hard to come up with a choice that’s not Cloud. We could have used Terra or Bartz, protagonists in their own right, but I feel like there would be some people who wouldn’t know who those characters are.

Edited by Lightchao42

If I had tons of free cash, I would be all for a new Sm4sh port, IMO if they make a new port and add dlc, then that extra content should also be available for the wii u version, so people don't have to buy a new console AND game to keep up with smash, that probably means that smash 3ds will be left behind, especially if ice climbers become available