Your Smash 4 Top 5

Ema Skye

Which characters do you think are top 5 in the metagame, or have the potential to be top 5 down the road?

Right now, I would make my top 5:

1. Diddy Kong

2. Bayonetta

3. Mario

4. Cloud

5. Mewtwo

Though I could totally see it looking like this in a few months/years:

1. Bayonetta

2. Rosalina

3. Ryu

4. Sonic

5. Mewtwo

The way Ike's been getting buffs, he could eventually be top five. lol He got buffs in almost every patch!

In all seriousness though, I don't really know, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to this stuff. :P

Edited by Anacybele

1. Diddy

2. Sonic

3. Rosalina

4. Cloud

5. Mario

Although a number of things could possibly change this opinion.

The way Ike's been getting buffs, he could eventually be top five. lol He got buffs in almost every patch!

He still lacks a number of things for a spot in the top 20, though, I say this as someone whos been using him pretty much since launch, he's quite good, but not amazing, he's one of the most honest characters in the game. (I.E Doesn't have too many surprises or overpowered options up his sleeve). Mostly all about fundamentals and skill, hoping you get good grabs and combos, etc.

He still lacks a number of things for a spot in the top 20, though, I say this as someone whos been using him pretty much since launch, he's quite good, but not amazing, he's one of the most honest characters in the game. (I.E Doesn't have too many surprises or overpowered options up his sleeve). Mostly all about fundamentals and skill, hoping you get good grabs and combos, etc.

I know, I was mostly joking, Jedi. lol

ike is bad and can only go down.

No he isn't (he's only bad in Brawl). :/ He's really good in Smash Wii U/3DS.

In my I-watch-a-lot-of-tournaments-but-am-not-that-great-of-a-player-myself opinion:

1. Ryu

2. Rosalina & Luma

3. Sonic

4. Diddy Kong

5. Fox

My 2-5 could be rearranged but I do think Ryu is the strongest in the game right now. Also, I could see Mario being top 5, but no one else at the moment.

Edited by Florete

I think people are underating Sheik.

1. Sheik

2. Diddy

3. Fox

4. Rosalina and Luma

5. Cloud

(5a./6. Bayonetta)

People sleeping on Bayo like they are Roy.

EDIT: Top 5 in the future

1. Fox

2. Bayonetta

3. Cloud

4. Sheik

5. Pikachu

Edited by Jiegg

Ryu is pretty good, but he lacks results and honestly suffers on stages where characters can get away from him. His overall slow speed combined with only an ok neutral, meh recovery, kinda balance out his insane combos. To the point where its hard for me to even consider him top 10 let alone top 5

Edited by Jedi

Currently:

• Diddy
  • Cloud
  • Mario
  • Sheik
  • Sonic? Bayo?

As time goes on, move Mario and Sonic/Bayo down and/or out, bring in Fox (maybe) and move Sheik up.

What's keeping Sheik from being top is lack of kill options, and as people apply VoiD combos and other "more difficult" ways of confirming kills, this will be mitigated. She already has an incredibly strong neutral and disadvantage state.
Fox I think is potentially already top 5 but I'm not sure whether Fox players will be able to optimize his techs and combos (perfect pivots, footstool -> fair, sh ac uair, etc.) more than the characters that threaten him can optimize their punishes.

I'm not seeing that much more Marios can optimize so I'm not sure he'll be able to keep up with Sheik and Fox and whatnot.
imo Ryu's neutral is going to get figured out and abused more so idt he's moving up that much (although his punishes will get stronger probably), and as it is idt he's top 5. Probably top 10 tho.
Bayo's neutral is similar to Ryu's. It'll depend on whether her players can all become Salem and make her look like she's prepatch, or if everyone else will learn how to get godly at SDI and make her combos that much harder.
I would put Rosa higher but given her results and the opinion of her top players, apparently I'm missing something?

Sure:

1. Marth. Not as amazing as he were before (the tip seems to be smaller) and you have to be extremely focused, but he's very good. Nice damage, fast but not heavy and quite bulky, and a broken ejection. I am convinced that he would be the best character if they were all controled by a 'perfect' AI.

2. Ike. He was garbage in Brawl but he's very good in SSB4. He's the quintessence of how you should play.

Unsure, no particular order:

3. Cloud

4. Lucina

5. Roy

Yeah, I like swordsmen in case you were wondering.

Edited by Brand_Of_The_Exalt

Sure:

1. Marth

2. Ike

Unsure, no particular order:

3. Cloud

4. Lucina

5. Roy

Yeah, I like swordsmen in case you were wondering.

Care to explain why you think Marth and Ike are better than Sonic/Cloud/Diddy Kong?

I'm really curious! :)

I get that you might like a character a lot, I love Ganondorf in Smash 4 and I think he's super fun, but putting him above the likes of Sonic and Diddy Kong would be just wrong from a Tier list point of view.

Saying Roy and Ike are among the top 5 is a bit.... how we say this... incorrect in the current or future metagame? :P

Edited by Spinal

Care to explain why you think Marth and Ike are better than Sonic/Cloud/Diddy Kong?

I'm really curious! :)

Because I main Marth since I play Melee. And I did not see the metagame part in the OP.

Well, the topic's aim is to give my top 5, so I thought it was purely subjective and I just gave my opinion. But if you want a quick explanation, I can give it to you. On paper, Marth is a god. His walk is the fastest, he's bulky and he hits hard, quickly and his ejection is amazing if he hits with Falchion's tip, which is great for spacing. That's why I added the perfect AI thing. That's a bit conceptual, but I think it's not possible for a human to use all his potential. I consider he has everything he wants : he's rather agile in the air (unlike Cloud), his moveset is great (his Up-Smash is good for aerial protection and chasing landing opponents and has a giant knockback if you hit with the tip for example, his Shieldbreaker is suseful against someone who'd use his shield too much, the Ftilt-Fsmash combo is great for placing Smashes with Falchion's tip and quite unique), etc etc.

On the other hand, Sonic and Diddy Kong just don't fit my playstyle at all, they are mostly melee characters, are fragile af and their knockback is rather average. They're just fast and agile. Cloud's better but some of his moves can be easily punished.

Concerning Ike, I invite you to watch "Art of Ike" which should explain my point better than I'd do.

And I'm not a comptetitive Smash player anyway (and disagree with the way they are done).

Edited by Brand_Of_The_Exalt

No he isn't (he's only bad in Brawl). :/ He's really good in Smash Wii U/3DS.

relative to the other characters, he's not. he's still slow and has an incredibly exploitable recovery. he's still viable, as about everyone in smash 4 is. Edited by Comet