Let's Play Sword of Heaven and Earth: Dreaming Of A Better Lyn

epilepsyduck

Imgur did its damndest to make pushing this out to you a tedious chore, but I've got another LP for all to see...

KRcu60S.png?1

Fire Emblem: Sword of Heaven and Earth is a Japanese romhack of Blazing Sword/Rekka no Ken. Now, Japanese hacks have developed a bit of a mixed reputation thanks to abominable things like FE7if, as well as technically-neat-but-frankly-bullshit hacks like FE8 Girls and Super Thracia. Sword of Heaven and Earth manages to be a fairly sane hack amidst a crowd of rather ludicrous ones, focusing less on technical innovation or fancy gimmicks and more on generally sound game design. It's not a cakewalk, but (from what I've played anyway) it's not punishingly difficult either. Overall, if you want a hack that emulates the typical GBA style of gameplay more closely than, say, Elibean Nights or Midnight Sun, this isn't a bad way to go.

Since the whole thing is in Japanese, I won't be touching upon the plot too much, aside from the appearance of new characters or stuff that affects the gameplay in some way. It's taking place in Elibe, at some time around the events of FE6, though I have no idea if it's before, during or after. We'll see some familiar faces, but most of the cast is new characters, albeit ones who greatly resemble characters from FE6 and FE7. I don't know anyone's growths, sadly, but for most of the earlier characters I can kind of give you an idea of their potential.

I've played up to Chapter 13, so this isn't exactly a blind run, but we will hit a point where I don't really know what's coming next. Given my history I won't promise anything, but I'll try to keep this to a one-chapter-a-week schedule if I can manage that.

I suppose I may as well get started. The first chapter's a bit sparse, but it gets better from here, honest!

Prologue: Bait and crutch

OX4KrF2.png?1

Since I've cheated a bit and used a save with the bonus items available, I have access to the mode select thing, but all three point to our protagonist, Saya, who is certainly not Lyn in any way. She's got a custom animation, look!

xPEQamj.png?1

Enough with that sneak peak, though, we've got a game to start!

tGdvvwM.png?1

Like I said, the whole thing is taking place in Elibe instead of some new place.

P952yY9.png?1

I think it's happening during FE6, but don't quote me on that. It's a shame I can't read a lick of this.

9zCqIMV.png?2

In addition to not!Lyn, we've got Dayan coming to shelter our fledgling lord from danger.

FhYHKnu.png?1

We've got a typical bandit chapter at the start, it seems. I think, anyway, I can't say for sure.

4yfm2nS.png?1

Oh, I guess Saya is alone for this. Gee, thanks for helping out, Dayan!

I guess we'd better look at our intrepid heroine, as well as the first of many foes that will stand in her way.

F2ee66O.png?1

bfFYCra.png?1

Fu2zvsR.png?1

So, in addition to basically looking exactly like Lyn, Saya is very similar statistically as well. As far as I can tell, we're still looking at a fragile speedster, emphasis on the fragile, and unlike FE7 she's the main lord and not a barely-relevant side one. Thankfully, she'll be getting both Lyn's old trump card and something a bit special pretty soon, but for now she's very unexceptional.

iCPvfBm.png?1

MUG1O9J.png?1

Fortunately, she's not exactly facing off against the best of the best. I'm not too concerned about this guy, aside from the inevitable free hit he'll get on Saya.

uFVQdgI.png?1

jE08LjI.png?1

Then we've got Green Glass here, who's just kind of meh, though more competent than his bow-wielding buddy. WTD kind of screws the guy over a bit, since without that our uninspiring protagonist might actually be threatened, but as it stands she can probably kick his ass.

W7z9ZPA.png?1

First things first, let's set these options to the correct settings! I don't know a single person who plays with any of that shit set to its defaults.

aaqnZ86.png?1

Instead of a foolish charge against the formidable forces arrayed before us, let's hide in the very tiny forest on this very plain map.

LRC2aE1.png?1

Neither enemy will move towards you unless you're in range, so we're safe from Green Glass for now.

Tl0Krip.png?1

I do sort of like this edit of Lyn's animation, though it's got a weird issue I'll get to in a bit.

FuXlVfL.png?1

Retribution for this attempt on Saya's life is now at hand.

bPeDEdg.png?1

Saya's animation seems to be missing a couple frames; it pauses right at this frame here and then immediately cuts to the sword strike. I don't know if this was intentional or not, but it looks off and bugs me a bit.

zITiOtF.png?2

Since the guy survived against her, he ends up shooting Saya. Not to worry, though...

TnXWGSD.png?1

He gets what's coming to him.

vNAwWK2.png?1

A couple turns of moving about gets me into this position, just inside the range of the boss and in another very tiny forest.

T5LTwx9.png?2

She probably won't need it, but every bit helps.

6AVQNGF.png?2

The boss is actually fast enough that Saya only gets one strike on him. A bit annoying, but not a big deal.

vZihkZk.png?1

I mean, it doesn't exactly take a lot of strikes to bring him down.

tNfuf99.png?1

The RNG decides to tell me to go fuck myself for a bit. FEBinary flashbacks and we've barely even started!

1najALX.png?1

He doesn't survive her retaliation.

L5b9A1T.png?1

Honestly, any level that gives Saya some strength is very welcome. Not!Lyn has all of Lyn's issues in that department.

WzxXHJp.png?2

Some talking gets done, which eventually culminates in the appearance of two new characters;

v5isvkv.png?1

This stoner-looking cavalier guy;

9MJOuE4.png?1

And this old fart who'll be playing crutch character for Saya and her team. You didn't think we'd be getting Dayan on our side, did you?

MLGccGo.png?1

So, that was an uneventful and unimpressive start to what I hope will be a very eventful and at least slightly impressive LP. I'll have the first actually interesting chapter up sooner than my stated one-chapter-per-week deal, so stay tuned for that!

Edited by epilepsyduck

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'eeeeeyyyyyyyyyyy, someone's screenshot LPing Sword of Heaven and Earth! I never played past a few chapters of this, but I always intended on making a guide to character names/descriptions, so if you wanna screenshot those things in their R-buton profiles I'll translate them. So far, not!Lyn is Saya, Dayan is Dayan himself, Glass recolour is Cholo, stoner cavalier is Grape, and oldfart is Zagarn. Prologue's scenario is that Saya's having a chat with her uncle (Dayan) and assаssins come out to try and kill them. Pretty much the same as FE7 ch1, but somehow even more nomadic.

'eeeeeyyyyyyyyyyy, someone's screenshot LPing Sword of Heaven and Earth! I never played past a few chapters of this, but I always intended on making a guide to character names/descriptions, so if you wanna screenshot those things in their R-buton profiles I'll translate them. So far, not!Lyn is Saya, Dayan is Dayan himself, Glass recolour is Cholo, stoner cavalier is Grape, and oldfart is Zagarn. Prologue's scenario is that Saya's having a chat with her uncle (Dayan) and assаssins come out to try and kill them. Pretty much the same as FE7 ch1, but somehow even more nomadic.

So wait, Saya is Rath's sister then?

Dayan is Rath's dad, not his uncle, so Saya would be his cousin. Honestly, from her looks, I thought Saya was going to end up being Lyn and Rath's daughter at first.

My mistake; she's the daughter of Lyn and [some nomad; 99.99% sure it's Rath]. I called Dayan her uncle because she calls him "uncle" in dialogue.

Dayan is Rath's dad, not his uncle, so Saya would be his cousin. Honestly, from her looks, I thought Saya was going to end up being Lyn and Rath's daughter at first.

Right. I briefly forgot how relations worked.

My mistake; she's the daughter of Lyn and [some nomad; 99.99% sure it's Rath]. I called Dayan her uncle because she calls him "uncle" in dialogue.

Okay.

W7z9ZPA.png?1

First things first, let's set these options to the correct settings! I don't know a single person who plays with any of that shit set to its defaults.

I set to those too, except for unit speed which I leave at normal. After a first playthrough, it can be manually sped up anyway.

Well it's...something. I'm not sure what to say. It's all in japanese so I'm not sure what is going on. I'm just hoping things are better than Fe&if as that is the only Japanese hack I've seen.

Trust me, despite a mediocre start this one's infinitely better than FE7if. Not that "better than FE7if" is a high bar to set for something, but still, it's a quality little hack.

'eeeeeyyyyyyyyyyy, someone's screenshot LPing Sword of Heaven and Earth! I never played past a few chapters of this, but I always intended on making a guide to character names/descriptions, so if you wanna screenshot those things in their R-buton profiles I'll translate them. So far, not!Lyn is Saya, Dayan is Dayan himself, Glass recolour is Cholo, stoner cavalier is Grape, and oldfart is Zagarn. Prologue's scenario is that Saya's having a chat with her uncle (Dayan) and assаssins come out to try and kill them. Pretty much the same as FE7 ch1, but somehow even
more
nomadic.

Thanks, that would honestly be a godsend. I don't wanna refer to characters with awkward nicknames for 20-something chapters. I didn't catch anyone's descriptions this chapter, but I'll get them next time.

What sort of name is "Grape", anyway?

I set to those too, except for unit speed which I leave at normal.  After a first playthrough, it can be manually sped up anyway.

You have infinitely more patience than me, then.

If you found the prologue rather bland and disappointing, fret not, the game introduces a chapter with actual map design here! It also greets us with a terrifying abomination who, somehow, is on our side rather than engulfing the globe with his horrible visage.

Chapter 1: Terrifying vision

ttKTdJi.png?1

Now that we've dealt with two assassins in a vaguely-defined place, Saya's adventures can truly begin.

d6MmCYA.png?1

She's gathered several allies, include some nomads oddly enough. A strange class for the starting party, but it fits our protagonist.

bWwVVIm.png?1

Here's one of them now, and holy fucking shit what is wrong with his eyes?! I don't want to look at this anymore, because christ that's unsettling.

8EVh4hK.png?1

Upon seeing this grim visage of doom, enemies scatter across the map in an effort to destroy it.

VWyol4e.png?1

(Un)fortunately, these two will be joining us in protecting this terrible creature from those who rightfully want to kill it.

T3fPCu9.png?1

Let's see what all these new people have in store for us.

oZkQ1gJ.png?1

Y2nxmc7.png?1

7kAleNS.png?1

Zagarn here is a typical crutch with an atypical class. I wouldn't expect a lot of endgame viability from him, but for now he'll be useful.

7IUUIL8.png?1

uMgeItD.png?1

KnDU7lX.png?1

This blue cavalier here, meanwhile, is a pretty good unit, being the "strong" cavalier out of our starting duo. I found him a lot more reliable than any of the other cavaliers, but perhaps the RNG will be less kind to him this time around.

X30kegY.png?1

HLF5oxL.png?1

jG8qjgs.png?1

Since that guy's our "strong" cavalier, Grape here is our "fast" one, and he's ultimately a lot dicier in my experience. Still, for now he's worth using and leveling, as he and the other cav are the best units we've got.

uiNms2W.png?1

thiVuFY.png?1

8zvCy4R.png?1

This knight guy certainly isn't anywhere near as good as any of the above, that's for sure. He's easily the worst unit here, and I'd recommend against trying to make him workable. Even if you really like knights, there's others coming that do the job better.

BiQrtEU.png?1

QDlPc12.png?1

8FSCbqc.png?1

Gah, I hate those eyes. That alone is enough to dissuade me from trying to use this fucker, but in my experience he's basically just Gordin on a horse, and thus isn't terribly useful for much. You'd think a hack with a Lyn clone for a protagonist would make all the nomads really good, but it wasn't meant to be.

hm429Xx.png?1

Zagarn hands all his lovely items over so he doesn't kill anything. There's nothing in this chapter that particularly needs his combat.

MTl5Pg1.png?1

I've got a very sound formation here. I trust Saya to stay alive out there more than that fucking knight.

dfGynnv.png?1

Bluecav has the kind of combat expected of his archetype.

NeylkZJ.png?1

Saya, meanwhile, defies all probability to get the job done.

GZszCy6.png?1

Revenge is had on player phase.

XQXraZv.png?1mAHTzo4.png?1

A tag team of Grape and Terroreyes brings down another nearby fighter.

I7ItINK.png?1

While I'm keeping this idiot as far away from anything dangerous as possible, let's see who can spot the kinds of tactical mistakes I'm positively famous for.

NJwqwFE.png?1zSEfTSf.png?1

Fortunately, the RNG shows me some small mercy here.

O8HP5EN.png?1

My last attempts to use Grape ended with him being far less viable that Bluecav, but this early in the game he's pretty capable.

b8oTtQN.png?1

If things go like last time, though, this will swiftly stop being the case.

i8x3706.png?1

Hm, maybe I shouldn't have let him plop down in that forest tile.

gLT9qLV.png?18zGKzEj.png?1

Not to worry, though, we've got other units on the job. I don't know what that guy's got those horrific bug eyes for if he isn't using them for accuracy, though.

5aUX4Ao.png?1

Zagarn is subjected to the typical crutch character tactics that so many have suffered before him.

88p8InV.png?1

He's very good at it, at least.

Qi3qY48.png?1

Having fallen for the bait, I feed this hapless fighter to my cavaliers.

C7AjreS.png?1dUnuXcq.png?1

Bluecav is the one who really benefits, though.

CKbjBCt.png?1

That's a very, very typical level for you.

LqnPYU8.png?1

The cavs and Saya are ready to take on these nondescript fighters of vague enemy affiliation.

PuVvSt4.png?1B8vfR9J.png?1

This involves Bluecav and Grape getting into some role reversal. What's the point of all that speed if you don't dodge with it?

fOvJr9y.png?1NElkBFl.png?1

Retribution must be had for this injustice!

JRGC2pP.png?1

Grape actually gets a pretty good level out of this. If he keeps it up I might not have to drop him!

dz42Ays.png?1

Saya hasn't gotten to do enough this chapter, so I let her participate too.

j4Z9aRt.png?1

She does about as well as a Lyn clone can be expected to.

EJO50Qr.png?1

Unfortunately, her level leaves a lot to be desired.

ZvZ3Y8t.png?1

On enemy phase, the fighter is struck so hard the entire UI breaks for a moment.

koaQzWn.png?1

Poor Grape isn't anywhere near tanky enough to handle all this damage he's been taking.

s4xbmgo.png?1

Fortunately, the only enemy left to deal with is the boss.

Hc5eD0m.png?1

Let's see what surprises he's got in store for us.

OAEK4af.png?1

J3pA5eh.png?1

The answer, aside from a very unpleasant face, is "not much". He's pretty standard as earlygame brigand bosses go. Saya can probably take him out alone.

LGIcyd3.png?1

But what the hell, Terroreyes might as well help out. Maybe his disturbing face will unnerve the boss enough for an even easier kill.

GqI2GvG.png?1

The RNG continues to show a surprising lack of contempt for me. Maybe I'm just used to the cruel gods that run FEBinary's RNG.

Ne1g5bG.png?1

Like I said, Saya probably won't have a lot of trouble getting rid of him by herself. Given that we have to use her, I may as well feed her and hope she improves.

qMh0lEN.png?1U8M7BUS.png?1

It's slow going, but I remain optimistic.

88o8UGQ.png?1

Despite its previous benevolence, the RNG decides things shouldn't all be rainbows and sunshine. Saya needs some struggles on her quest to do whatever it is this game's about!

prEEFqa.png?1

But, like most video game protagonists, she'll eventually overcome them all.

mWKd4NP.png?1

Saya decides to get all the stats except for the one I'm really anxious about. Okay, and Resistance, but that's less of an issue given what she's about to get handed.

8ARQHMb.png?1

Time to seize this tent, for whatever reason. Seize always struck me as a bit of a pointless chapter objective.

nN8nO6B.png?1

We meet this old guy in the tent, who'll be joining us. I'm sure you can guess what he's all about from his appearance.

LJfhKGH.png?1

Then we chat with everyone for a bit, aside from the creepy bugeyed dude. Maybe the game wants to spare me from the horror for a bit.

wXWLAI0.png?1

Then we are handed the Mani Katti! Saya finally has a reason to exist in her own army.

I15t2EW.png?1

If that wasn't enough, the game also hands us the Sol Katti, which has undergone a couple minor changes that I'll get into next time.

GDUut55.png?1

And just for the hell of it, we get 5000 gold. I've heard armies need money.

WIsOv5t.png?1

Next chapter, we'll have more bandits to fight, as well as a thief and healer duo in a suspiciously familiar scenario.

Edited by whenbananasattack

It looks like his eyes are shut and he's drawn crude pupils on his eyelids.

[spoiler=don't open this]Between this hack and FEBinary, the Japanese seem to have much cooler hacks than we do. But perhaps that's just me thinking the Glass is greener on the other side.

From a looking at the kanas, the names of your new units would be...

Rostofu/Rostov/Rad Steve for the blue cav that's not Grape (who's also blue... at least their mounts differ in color and reflect their archetype)

Shiix/Sheiks/Sir Shanksalot for the knight man

Ieke/Hyeke/Yuckyuckyuck for the abomination

Gara for the boss but who really cares about him.

Edited by Miacis

From what I understand, ch1 is about Saya and her Lorca friends (never mind that the Lorca tribe was slaughtered in FE7) getting on the move because the roving bandits have been making life harder for them (yeah, enemies are just bandits this time, not assassins). There's also someone who's been captured, which will probably end up involving Elibe's Three B's (Bandits, Bern, and Black magic) in the plot. I'm pretty sure there's at least one more chapter of generic bandits, though, so maybe ignore that.

New bluecav is Rostov (ロストフ = the city of Rostov, Russia. Final consonants get de-voiced in Russian, making it sound like "Rostof"), and he's the rowdy one of this red/green cav duo ("A drifter who loves traveling"). Grape is the loyal and reliable one and likes eating ("his stomach belies his reliability"). Armour knight is Sykes (same Sykes mentioned in an FE6 support and appears in Elibean Nights as a swordmaster); he's a generic slow-and-sturdy type. These three guys are all from Ilia.

My best guess for the Abominable Nomad is Jeke. I suspect it's actually a Biblical/Judeo-Christian name (Eremiya =Jeremiah comes to mind), but I have no idea what it could actually be. If I recall correctly, he's a big brother figure to Saya, so unfortunately we might be seeing a lot of him even if you bench him.

Gara is as generic as they come. His battle quote is something like "Wait, you guys live here?! Damn, what have I gotten myself into?!".

Edited by Alusq

-snip-

-snip-

Thanks for the translations, and for making up for my ignorant monolingual ass!

I don't want him to appear ever again I'm gonna cry if he does I swear

This isn't Chapter 2, but it's a bunch of character descriptions for the guys who appeared last chapter and some of the characters we're meeting this chapter. Actual update coming soon!

ah28IV2.png?16JwAzQ8.png?1

bj0zvIg.png?1b6b1OgO.png?1

uj09Mbs.png?1AswcoFH.png?1

5tzbShU.png?1xTD7ETv.png?1

tl2hGF1.png?1dRTmrPC.png?1

OPFpzzq.png?1

Alright, sorry about that, let's get to the actual gameplay and all the new friends we'll meet along the way!

Chapter 2: Fighters of the odds

Pu155Wz.png?1

In typical FE fashion, it seems bandits have scattered across the land to waste your time pillage and destroy all in their path.

11Ok255.png?1

We don't have time to care about that, though. We've got a new character to meet.

1i0N47Y.png?1

It's another fake Lyn! She actually appears a lot in the chapters I played up to, so presumably she's important, and I'm assuming she and Saya are sisters. She appears as both an enemy and an NPC unit, so maybe there's some sort of double agent thing going on? I don't know, please forgive my illiteracy.

S1k5ssK.png?1

Ignoring her, we chat to this old dude we saw last chapter for a bit.

jzsw098.png?1

We are then unceremoniously interrupted by bandits. Or assassins. Banditsassins?

rxZ2Ao7.png?1

Chapter starts, and look who's joining us out on the battlefied.

xou7g7F.png?1

yQYCZFG.png?1

OcN6xn1.png?1

That old guy we saved is the Merlinus of Sword of Heaven and Earth. Since the hack doesn't have the whole Lyn/Eliwood/Hector Mode thing, we just get him right from Chapter 2. The good news is that he starts as a wagon, and he's controlled by the same mechanics as FE7 Merlinus, so he doesn't take up a deployment slot or anything. The bad news is that he doesn't level up, so those stats are what he's stuck with. This will almost certainly be a problem later down the line, but for now he should have just enough stats to dodge away from danger.

3xvAb7K.png?1

So, remember how the Sol Katti got dropped into Saya's inventory along with the Mani Katti? The thing's gone through a few changes since its underwhelming appearance in FE7, having higher Might and lower Weight, but also lower Hit and Crit. It's ultimately less useful in the earlygame than the Mani Katti, but it's worth keeping the thing around for some of the draconic foes we'll be meeting later down the line.

EPGJH66.png?1

Zagarn heroically plugs the gap here with his unarmed body to protect his young wards.

oCydJ10.png?14Qs18Iu.png?1

Unfortunately I may have he seems to have left some holes in their defenses.

C4SGxTs.png?1

Zagarn himself stays totally unscathed.

7NFYvHf.png?1

Saya knows her only real contribution to the army is through crits, and proceeds to get one to stay on my good side.

DlEubrG.png?1
Meanwhile, Sykes completely defies the odds and does something useful for once.

K6LWJLi.png?1

The opposite situation appears in Rostov, who's letting me down despite previously being my star player.

cvG8yD1.png?1

Because of his failure, Grape must pay the price.

TFiM21C.png?1

Or he would've, if the RNG hadn't chosen to spare the poor boy.

zP0CRfq.png?1

This mercenary is possibly the most dangerous unit this side of the map, and brings Saya terrifyingly close to death.

QtJcphl.png?1

In response to this near-fatality, a pair of fighters appear far to the south of us, where they can help her not at all. Let's see what they're made of.

V5rXF6z.png?1

7BjZJ0T.png?1

Qt33H9S.png?1

The ginger here is something of a specialist, starting with lots and lots of strength but low stats is pretty much everything else. The fact that he loses a point of Speed from that Steel Axe he's carrying wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for how terrible his Speed is. I didn't end up using him much, but I might give him a shot this time.

pb9xHll.png?1

TZbg4Rm.png?1

9ONnmrT.png?1

The green dude is more balanced overall, and that plus the Hand Axe just makes him stand out more compared to his friend. I tried to use him last time, but the results were... mixed, to say the least, and I'm wary of giving him another go.

FTrYXhx.png?1

For now, that doesn't matter. Ginger is standing on the bridge, ready to take on the approaching soldiers while his buddy finishes them off from afar.

qodomGZ.png?1

Rostov kills the guy that almost killed his leader.

smDcsyd.png?1

He gets the most Rostov level I can think of.

8WmVXZd.png?1wTOAn7G.png?1

Grape and Sykes finish off other nearby foes to protect our fragile lord from her own ineptitude.

EX4wz7i.png?1

She immediately flings herself headlong into danger again, though I can't say I was too worried about the odds on this one.

FLgK7cK.png?1

Since the brigand has a vulnerary, he runs away like a huge wimp and heals his wounds.

rxByzHK.png?18FFmW9H.png?1

Enemy Phase and Player Phase over with the Axe Pals. This will be a pattern for a little while.

T9vq6uG.png?1

That fruitless attempt at healing ended up helping him not at all, it seems.

LsmRErx.png?1

Since Zagarn isn't really doing anything, I let him go shopping at the armory.

XiQ5Lem.png?1

Just iron weapons about. I buy one of each.

3XiUIli.png?1

The pattern is ready to continue.

SlKe6eN.png?1

He has no intention of ever dodging anything ever.

Y6OiSlj.png?1

Suddenly, the game points at a seeming pointless house.

zU5iHPv.png?1

It contains a cleric, who's being sprung out of jail by this weird-looking little thief on the left.

OQOWqV4.png?1

I think whoever made this was playing Shadow Dragon and suddenly had a GREAT IDEA for Chapter 2.

I'm sure these kids can handle themselves alone, though, right?

3bTVel0.png?1

yXkJOgT.png?1

08TTYvI.png?1

For the Renalike, that's a definite "no", obviously. She's got a bit of the crutch healer thing going on with those bases, but from what I've experienced is one of the few magic-using units with anything resembling a decent magic growth, and seems pretty solid all around. She's far from the only earlygame healer we're getting, though, so she might be facing some competition.

icxLSOZ.png?1

vQjrolE.png?1

1FJFMdI.png?1

While this kid's clearly cribbing Julian's whole "saving clerics and turning good" thing, he's not Julian at all in terms of potential. He's got the thiefiest thief stats you can imagine, and that's not changing anytime soon. Still, he's useful on occasion, and there's a lot of chapters where I'll probably need him even if he doesn't become my main thief.

LZwbyGT.png?1

We'll get back to those two and their grand escape in a bit. For now, have Rostov continuing to drop the ball.

6wCr5lK.png?1

The Greenman, meanwhile, continues to impress.

XIPnDW2.png?1

The last soldier totally ignores my fighters and goes for the poor frail thief.

kfucWrp.png?1

To make things worse, he ends up missing on the second counterattack.

45Oz29r.png?1

The big bandit boss has noticed the disappearance of these two, and sends out reinforcements to chase them down.

xXgCkvX.png?18dakyeq.png?1

Since Rostov couldn't get the job done alone, I send in a little extra muscle.

rxt8YBh.png?1

Grape visits the village the knight so heroically died to protect from us.

xdbxM9q.png?1

This causes the old man within to spontaneously transform into a Horseslayer for us to use.

Inmhn5q.png?1

The little thief tried his best, but it's time to let the grownups handle combat.

td7tfTu.png?1

I would've been so mad if he missed that.

B68dSAi.png?1

The kids retreat a bit and Renalike patches things up.

8pYyCoR.png?1

The reinforcements this turn consist of a nomad and fighter duo, who chase after us but are too far to attack anything.

QkFR9HA.png?1

Time to patch this guy up and send him out to handle the situation.

lTiIq3q.png?1

I'm glad the RNG doesn't hate me, but I'm worried about the effects this is having on the UI.

zBUos3U.png?1VFqnu42.png?1

Zagarn rides out to bait the fighter away from Ginger, and doesn't even get a scratch.

vr8PsBm.png?1

More enemies rush out to greet us, a myrmidon and another fighter.

fl3pEyT.png?1

Good timing, given that the first fighter has met an unfortunate end.

bfW8w0R.png?1

Despite being basically immortal at this point, enemies love pouring all their strength down on Zagarn's old invincible head.

cY7K4Is.png?18ph7Whu.png?1

This strategy doesn't work out in their favor at all.

JroubYy.png?1d8d3nJV.png?1

At least Grape is giving me a stat that he's usually pretty terrible with; Saya is straight up failing to deliver here. I see where all my statboosters will likely have to go.

0rPsEHJ.png?1

Since the enemy reinforcements have stopped spawning, it's time to lure out the people clustered around the boss.

K8bo7x1.png?1

You did so well before, but fine, buddy. You're not the only one who can kill a mage.

eCARmvf.png?1

Grape can use all that immeasurable strength to slay all that crosses him.

Uz34WJA.png?1

Killing that mage left Grape in range of the boss, but some trading gave him a Javelin so he could at least fight back.

cOofkSO.png?1mHoJ4fr.png?1

That's an unusual combination of class and portrait, but whatever. This guy's nothing particularly special, and will give us another shiny new Javelin when we kill him.

lFoLRDh.png?1

I don't wan Grape to get that kill, though, so he takes care of the last of the non-boss bandits on the map.

vYaVQod.png?1

I just wanted The Greenman to soften the boss up a bit, but he proceeds to completely defy the odds.

ZcRIYsD.png?1

Ginger ultimately steals his kill, like he had his kills stolen mere turns ago.

SyA39vK.png?1

If I can get some consistent Speed levels out of you, I think I might have my new Warrior.

4rCZaBF.png?1

After this is the usual FE stuff; seize something.

zTBFUiW.png?1

Talk to old men.

4z5VrdV.png?16ikrg6h.png?1

Recruit people to your nebulous cause.

tKSALZ7.png?1

In the next chapter, we meet The Chosen One and recruit her and a hundred forgettable schmucks into our ranks, while battling with surprisingly competent forces led by an utter wimp of a boss.

Character profiles (in order):

Saya: Daughter of the Lorca chief Lyndis. A skilled swordswoman and young leader.

Sykes: A slow-witted knight of Ilia. Strong, slow, and sturdy.

Zagarn: An elderly Lorca nomad. A wise and experienced mentor.

Jeke: A young man from the Lorca tribe who follows Saya. Gentle and like an older brother to Saya.

Grape: A loyal knight of Ilia. His appearance and appetite belie his reliability.

Alwell (merchant): A level-headed senior Lorca authority. Guides Saya from time to time.

Ewing (thief): A war orphan. Wants to become a dashing rogue.

Toby (orange-hair fighter): A builder from the village of Ur. A true ladies' man.

Gim (green-hair fighter): A carpenter from the village of Ur. Fights to support his parents and sister.

Helga (cleric): A cleric of the Order of St. Elimine. A girl who desires peace above all else.

Rostov: A young knight-protector of Ilia. A drifter who loves to travel.

The scene with Saya talking with the Lyn-lookalike is a flashback to three months ago, before she started acting fishy. Saya apologises to Alwell that she zoned out because she was lost in thought, then the ninja bandit guys runs up and says "hey, you guys, you're Lorca!" Toby and Gim are, afaık, running in to save the villages from the bandits. The boss's name is... Phmegey (fumegei)? Seems like a goofy bandit name that would be completely changed by an English localization. You already nailed the situation with Ewing and Helga, and after the battle Alwell comments on how the bandits have been becoming awfully widespread lately and the fighters tell Saya they came from Bern and propose co-operation.

also,fwiw, I'd still consider myself monolingual

Edited by Alusq

Character profiles (in order):

Saya: Daughter of the Lorca chief Lyndis. A skilled swordswoman and young leader.

Sykes: A slow-witted knight of Ilia. Sturdy, strong, and slow.

Zagarn: An elderly Lorca nomad. A wise and experienced mentor.

Jeke: A young man from the Lorca tribe who follows Saya. Gentle and like an older brother to Saya.

Grape: A loyal knight of Ilia. His appearance and appetite belie his reliability.

Alwell (merchant): A level-headed senior Lorca authority. Guides Saya from time to time.

Ewing (thief): A war orphan. Wants to become a dashing rogue.

Toby (orange-hair fighter): A builder from the village of Ur. A true ladies' man.

Gim (green-hair fighter): A carpenter from the village of Ur. Fights to support his parents and sister.

Helga (cleric): A cleric of the Order of St. Elimine. A girl who desires peace above all else.

Rostov: A young knight-protector of Ilia. A drifter who loves to travel.

The scene with Saya talking with the Lyn-lookalike is a flashback to three months ago, before she started acting fishy. Saya apologises to Alwell that she zoned out because she was lost in thought, then the ninja bandit guys runs up and says "hey, you guys, you're Lorca!" Toby and Gim are, afaık, running in to save the villages from the bandits. The boss's name is... Phmegey (fumegei)? Seems like a goofy bandit name that would be completely changed by an English localization. You already nailed the situation with Ewing and Helga, and after the battle Alwell comments on how the bandits have been becoming awfully widespread lately and the fighters tell Saya they came from Bern and propose co-operation.

also,fwiw, I'd still consider myself monolingual

I can barely even speak English as it is, you definitely have at least one language more than me regardless.

Christ some of these names are weird. Ewing sounds like a Mario powerup.

Time to leave Bandit Hell behind for a bit and focus on a time-tested FE chapter concept: a prison break! Let's join Saya and friends as they charge in and meet a unit who should, in all honesty, be the real protagonist of the piece.

Chapter 3 Part 1: That's Not Raven

NSlWnRp.png?1

After two whole chapters of dealing with the most generic bandits you can think of, Saya finally finds her way into the main plot.

weG0ClN.png?1ZW2WejI.png?1

Here we have some villains hanging out in some random fort. Can you guess which of these gentlemen are important villains are which is the generic boss of this chapter?

hHdX0qZ.png?1

In addition to those NPCs they've got captive, they also seem to have Lyn herself! I'm glad they gave her a new (slightly) older-looking portrait, though I wish she'd aged as noticeably as Hector and Eliwood did. Still, at least they didn't leave her looking 18.

2rcPbwg.png?1

The scary promoted fellows teleport away, Lyn in tow.

eqvqp1Y.png?1

Just in time for Saya to arrive outside the fort, ready for conquest. Good thing, if they'd stuck around she'd be properly fucked.

nK39Ruy.png?1

Before we going charging inside, we've got a couple things to deal with on the outside of the fort.

ZcE0TVG.png?1

There's a couple villages scattered around, and I intend to visit them before we deal with most of the enemies.

41Aozgy.png?15afWznw.png?1

I think it's safe to let the mounted units handle these two, so no one falls behind while everyone else rushes in.

aJJ2Bxk.png?1

Though I guess it helps that these two out here are total wimps.

Bkq5kUy.png?1

That's the Grape I know and eventually dropped! Do that too much and you'll be facing a second benching.

D6fPJcB.png?1

There's a couple other guys over this way, but Toby is on the case.

M5pcQj4.png?1LsUQUZ3.png?1

Another oddly tiny village is nested behind a wall on this side of the fort, defended by another pair of foes that are marginally more competent.

Ri33RH1.png?1

Here's the NPCs trapped in the cell having a little chat. We'll get to them later.

n8LfI8C.png?1

Gim continues the habit of killing anything Toby had to fight.

XTjqEzg.png?1

He then gets a practically-perfect level, which is impressive given what I've come to expect from him.

w7dI67l.png?1

There, all the outside foes are dealt with and we can take the fort on for real.

EuIB7ym.png?1

But first, we liberate whatever treasure these minuscule villages have in store for us.

y2xnBJi.png?1

Given all the knights in this map, this is sure to be useful.

9QNIgmL.png?1Tv7XS7C.png?1

On enemy phase, we get yet more suicidal Archers and Myrmidons charging to their doom.

yDJXcEN.png?1I6J8mzB.png?1

Our most ineffective units team up to deal with both their foes and their own shitiness.

YtQklI0.png?1mOw7mQP.png?1

Teamwork works just as well for actually good units too, though, so that's not much of a saving grace.

ov7X8qC.png?1

Zagarn nabs a Mend staff from the other village, which is going straight to the convoy for now.

N89W9D0.png?1UckgIl2.png?1

I plop a couple units down in range of the soldiers to lure them out, while Helga heals a very battered Grape.

6nHGlI5.png?1BfE7NtZ.png?1

Turns out, both soldiers had pretty much the same idea on who to attack, and it didn't turn out too well for either of them.

6NQIo4K.png?1

I don't know why I let Sykes have this when I could've given it to someone who isn't bad at everything, but whatever. There's plenty of EXP to go around.

Ob8yTJe.png?1

This is probably the best level I've ever seen him get, and it infuriates me because it will absolutely go to waste.

34zuDFS.png?1IdWUX8r.png?1

Can our cavaliers outshine him and vindicate me for choosing to train both of them?

YgaRgeO.png?1

Y'know what? I'll take that. Rostov basically never gets Speed.

xp0U7Iz.png?1

I do try to feed poor Ewing here and there so he doesn't die quite so easily. Time will tell if it helps.

F6OTnLo.png?1

The boss says something on enemy phase. I'm assuming it's a warning for reinforcements, which will appear next turn.

ZK9vvsv.png?1

This turn, however, we are the ones getting reinforced!

u3JjSgz.png?1

From left to right, they're a Pegasus Knight, a Mercenary, and an Archer, if their designs didn't give that away. I don't know what their story is, but they're here to stay.

t8rfUA0.png?1

I suppose it's time to check these guys out and see what they can do.

0KjfNBg.png?1

CBpHg0g.png?1

fn9JoX8.png?1

The Pegasus Knight (who I'm calling Shamma for now) may seem like a typical weak Pegasus Knight good only for flying utility, but from what I've seen she gets fairly balanced gains and can ultimately be reasonably capable, if a bit frail. Not to mention how massively overkill her base Speed is, even if it gets cut into by that terrible Con. Even if that wasn't the case, she's the only flier for a pretty long time, so she pretty much has to be used, especially for a very interesting chapter that's coming up pretty soon.

XkqiKet.png?1

SXJmPwN.png?1

SyXLgg4.png?1

This guy (let's call him Wilt) is, unfortunately, not bucking the stereotypes of his profession nearly as well, and I say that from experience. He's thoroughly mediocre, even by the standards of his already iffy class, and pretty much completely overshadowed by another unit in the same class that comes later. At least he's okay for chip damage.

DpdoSVo.png?1

bew7ML5.png?1

eDhQOA1.png?1

Then we get to mini-Raven here, and she's absolutely stellar. Her bases are good but fairly unassuming, but in my experience she's pretty much guaranteed to cap Speed and is pretty likely to get Strength too, and will get plenty of HP to offset her rather low Defense. She also doesn't suffer from the dreaded Con issues that plagued almost every female unit in the GBA games, and that's something I can appreciate. Regardless of who else I use, she's almost certainly on the team permanently.

qNvjzvJ.png?1

They start a bit too far off to help us much yet, though, so for now all three of them are just trying to catch up.

in7UWrz.png?1

Fortunately for them, we aren't moving much yet. Toby and Grape both have a ranged weapon equipped here so the Mage has to eat some damage regardless.

YhEv6N0.png?1

He ultimately picks the smarter choice between the two.

UP5Yxwf.png?1

Mind, that's mostly because Grape could've doubled and killed him.

yUnpAIj.png?1

We'll be getting plenty of reinforcements from this side of the map for a little while. For now, though, they're nothing to worry about.

XKBDtXp.png?1

The RNG continues to make a fool of my Fighters any time they go up against Mages.

Ev1iccV.png?1

Toby chooses to defy fate and break this curse, at least for the time being.

baq553X.png?1

He then gets a level that's actually pretty great, which is encouraging. The more units who don't disappoint me, the better.

19AODIp.png?1

A lone guard stands watch in front of the door keeping the prisoners, well, imprisoned. Grape is just the man for the job.

vMsmQ3g.png?1uUqY9q6.png?1

It's not exactly the quickest assassination, though.

aYZa3KC.png?1

More enemies, identical to the first batch, appear in the same spot.

bYlwEXb.png?1

Gim is really not loved by the RNG at all.

h0yBwWe.png?1

I suppose it did ultimately all fall to our brave stoner.

dLiVyFr.png?1

Not much happened on enemy phase, but more reinforcements spawned not only here...

b5KyO3P.png?1V6ISYzR.png?1

But in several other spots on the map as well. All of them are moving in on us right now, so some defensive formations get thrown up quickly to block them.

AJXpw8m.png?1

Recruiting the prisoners requires talking to the Priest with Saya, but she falls short of making it to them.

r9SiIQE.png?1pJTGOK5.png?1

For approach from all sides, some of whom seem to glitch out of reality for a brief moment.

cq60Hhk.png?1

It may seem foolish to plop mini-Raven here, but it had a purpose.

mkznJGy.png?1

I chucked her the Armorslayer from the village.

vWbKcr0.png?1

This time, Saya makes it into the cell to recruit yet more people for her rapidly expanding forces.

AOb8Ea1.png?1

After a conversation so long the main character falls asleep, which is not just a badly timed screenshot...

C3EVCK9.png?1

We get two more units. Let's see what makes them tick.

GkVmqgq.png?1

sc6jPru.png?1

gRYnX4B.png?1

When I first saw this kid (who I'm dubbing Purple, because I'm terribly uncreative), I was excited to get a dark magic user so early in the game, but unfortunately he just isn't very good. He's actually rather representative of most of the magic units I've seen so far, having rubbish bases and seemingly iffy growths in pretty much everything. Purple can at least chip for now given how terrible everyone's Resistance is, but if he doesn't improve both quickly and dramatically he isn't gonna make it. At least he isn't the only Shaman.

T76v7UP.png?1

NFyQpIG.png?1

iD7yUPb.png?1

Somehow, it seems like Wrys has teleported to Elibe to join Saya's army. He's as useful as all healers are, but the game throws a lot of healers our way in the earlygame, so it's debatable if he's really worth using, especially given how bad his bases are compared to Helga's. Still, I suppose I can't complain about extra healing, so I'm taking him with me and I'll be very glad I did.

KfaZg1n.png?1

if you were worried about Purple's unarmed state, don't be. He and Ewing have a conversation that fixes that right up.

63pF0FT.png?1

I seem to always time these screenshots so people either look like they've fallen asleep or like they're making intense bedroom eyes at someone

uXWod1C.png?1

There we go, he can take that and do nothing consequential with it whatsoever.

Nz5TU6e.png?1

Even with Wrys, a humble priest on our team, Helga is still my favorite for healer, at least for the time being.

V1U3SoV.png?1

Shit like that, though, I have very little patience for, so she might not be for long.

bu2vmg4.png?1KlhPLwA.png?1

I let some of our new recruits deal with the approaching archer. It always feels satisfying to kill archers with flying units.

TITOP1m.png?1

Grape continues to fling Javelins at Knights for piddly damage.

eUOjT0c.png?1

My formations are a bit disorganized, but I'm doing what I can to fix that.

Z4mYQ1K.png?1

This enemy phase is basically all about screwing Grape over big time.

6qRyeyo.png?1

Though at least he learns from the experience.

ZVBaPf6.png?1kR6Iajb.png?1

Other units, at least, find more success this turn than he did.

zu9704Z.png?1

I guess I'm cutting it short for now, but the next half of Chapter 3 should hopefully be up soon!

Ewing sounds like a Mario powerup.

"you-ing". Sounds more like a name now, hey? :Lilina:

General guy: "So, have you heard we've captured Lyndis?"

Saya, approaching fort: "So this is where Mother's being kept...! How much manpower are we going to need to get in?"

Ravi to Ewing: "Ewing! But how'd you get here?"

The generics you're fighting this chapter are Djute nomads, the same tribe that collaborates with Bern in FE6.

Peg knight: Elina. An errant Ilian pegasus knight. Brightly livens up the mercenary crew.

Archer: Fritz. A mercenary archer. Calm and steadfast.

Merc: Amy. A traveling mercenary. A cheerful, rowdy tomboy.

Shaman: Ravi. An orphan practitioner of elder magic. Dreams of becoming a master of the dark arts.

(There are a gazillion ways to interpret Ravi's name, including Rabi, Labi, Ravy, Lavy, Lavi, Ravi, etc)

Priest: Otto. An elderly priest on a pilgrimage. A kind-hearted walking dictionary.

Edited by Alusq

"you-ing". Sounds more like a
now, hey?
:Lilina:

Oh.

Have I mentioned I can barely speak English?

Let's wrap up Saya's incredible prison break by killing a generic mustache guy who's far wimpier than any of his subordinates. Can she beat such a feeble boss by herself, or will she need some assistance from people who are far more qualified to lead this army than she is?

Chapter 3 Part 2: Saya's Stumbling Swordfight

ibyUq2A.png?1

Shamma- I mean, Elina took a beating last time we were here, so she gets patched up a bit.

7h86tLV.png?1

Let's throw her back into the action now that she's not on the verge of death.

JCu8r2X.png?1ntdwXvW.png?1

Things are going pretty okay for the group I sent to push towards the throne room.

pJ6jyFl.png?1

Will the RNG be so kind for the team who's keeping all those reinforcements out?

B0TN9vB.png?1

I suppose not.

Ytv2RuG.png?1

Sykes appears to be a favorite target of the enemy, despite being basically invincible.

ueHG5kJ.png?1wXMUSTz.png?1

One character who's definitely not invincible is Amy, who ends up literally one HP short of death.

phl7Wdf.png?1eDDWBkL.png?1

Thankfully, it's an easily remedied problem.

BGemeEo.png?1

A very stereotypical level for Amy; I can't exactly complain when it's giving her the best stats in the game.

aLj6gpM.png?1

Elina kills an archer so hard that her pegasus briefly gains a second pair of wings, which fade from existence as swiftly as they appeared.

AS5xElZ.png?1

The strategy for the defensive formation I've set up is "front guys sponge damage, back guys deal damage"

KIng98E.png?1

It works rather well.

N15N8Bg.png?1

It works really well for our terrifying friend, who's trying to make a case for me not dumping him the second we get a prep screen.

lHpuhcO.png?1

Fritz doesn't make that kind of effort at all, which is to be expected because he sucks.

fU7MlXT.png?1CSJdPJ9.png?1

I do try to spread the EXP around so it doesn't all go to a pair of crappy archers. In hindsight, I don't know why I let Sykes have that one.

DVB4IT3.png?1

I guess it doesn't matter; we've got treasures to liberate. Ewing won't be unlocking the chests, though.

JfJQfs0.png?1

That priest has one of those lovely 5-use chest keys, and I'll be using that instead of Ewing's Lockpick because those things are rather limited in supply.

B2iw4qh.png?1

Grape gets the kill and the key, because why not I guess?

8ZGG4cL.png?1

Otto, having thrown off his disguise as Wrys, a humble priest, uses the staff he carries to heal the wounded. He also shows off the rather funky way they got his baldness onto his sprite. It sort of gives him a deformed-looking head, doesn't it?

gzNdZGx.png?1

Since we're nearly ready to deal with the boss, Saya runs over to the throne room.

ZVnJAzV.png?1

On enemy phase, both of the nomads have the same brilliant idea.

EM0JQqD.png?1

It's about as effective as throwing wet tissue paper at him.

wqF97l7.png?1

Since Jeke impressed me so much with that timely crit, I give him a chance at leveling to see where it takes him.

qYOk12x.png?1

That's not awful I guess, but I can't say I'm encouraged, and certainly not impressed enough to put up with your nightmarish gaze.

F6G79Ya.png?1

Sykes gives me this Arden-esque level that reaffirms my decision to leave him in the dust.

DzCoy83.png?1dtLAV42.png?1

That's it for everyone on the map but the boss and the guys hanging around the throne room.

rDFMPAS.png?1

Before we handle those guys, though, we have fun surprises to discover in these chests.

24LZYuq.png?1

Eh, that's not much but I guess it could be worse.

VWmk8pf.png?1

Two more chests lurk behind the door here.

vGiNmaR.png?1

Take that as a sign we'll be seeing more shops in the near future.

faHh7nh.png?1

Take that as a sign of what we'll be dealing with next chapter!

zRyRnde.png?1

Alright, enough is enough, time to get to generic boss-man.

b1nZTYz.png?1Xp23blp.png?1

When I say he's wimpier than his troops, I mean it; this guy sucks to an unbelievable degree. Half of that's probably got to do with his Light Brand, which is an underwhelming weapon at the best of times. He should prove easy for anyone who's vaguely competent.

EjjQico.png?1

He's got a few cronies protecting him, but since none of them ever move, they aren't too worrisome.

ADPpfuX.png?1

The Armorslayer probably wasn't even necessary here.

YrtFpRY.png?1

These enemy mages are kind of pathetic too, actually. That's gonna be a pattern going forward.

4hoHH1i.png?1

Ravi's palette is really nice, it's a shame that he's so underwhelming.

401RMNz.png?1

Nothing like Elina, who's altogether one of the more competent units on my side.

tq2Wogv.png?1

This is a good enough level, but not getting Strength kind of sucks. You can't just eat all my Energy Rings, you know!

FdDCHv9.png?1

The generic boss man gets some (presumably) generic dialogue before the big fight.

nSYcJHE.png?1

Those numbers are honestly sad, though.

mWfUX6A.png?1

Elina deals with one of these annoying mages hanging around.

oNhChxu.png?1ENJlptF.png?1

Toby gets the other one, so we can devote our full attention on mustache dude.

845qAHo.png?1

Elina handled him just fine last time, so she gets another crack at it.

ArKArvZ.png?1

She gets a crit that's so powerful she manages to glitch out of reality altogether! Boy I do love how VBA apparently can't take screenshots properly!

UATxFg9.png?1

Saya is ready for the big epic confrontation with the man who was holding her mother hostage.

WByzfcw.png?1

ggaBYR9.png?1

UVpCnoy.png?1

It ends with her missing the first strike, getting hit, then missing again just to make the whole thing even sadder. The RNG does not like our plucky young protagonist.

k85RUrR.png?1

Luckily, an actually competent swordfighter is here to kill him so hard the interface completely shatters.

QsPDvof.png?1

Wow, Skill is a rarity coming from her. I had a level 20 Amy by the end of my last run, and she had 11 Skill.

zCQGw1X.png?1

Healgrinding time, and I'm getting sick of your shit, Helga. There are other healers in this game, y'know!

NY99z3L.png?1

Saya tries to save face from her embarrassing defeat by conquering this castle in the name of the Lorca.

7a4CABY.png?1WMJjLqd.png?1

Some cutscenes happen that I can't read, and we'll only ever get snippets of what's being said here unless a brave soul goes through the nightmarish process of translating everything.

ZgMgNZh.png?1

"I hope you enjoy darkness, Saya, because we're gonna have to contend with an awful lot of that real soon."

xGhjFMN.png?1

In the next chapter, we flee from a not-very-intimidating Myrmidon, for his sake more than ours, and potentially find a replacement for certain lazy healers who think they can slack and get away with it.

I've never seen VBA do that sort of shit. Are you using the latest VBA-M build, or some of the old ones?

Alternatively, you can record video footage of your gameplay, and then grab screenshots from the recording in your favorite editing program. No more mistiming the screenshot of an epic critical hit, and no more strange VBA glitches. (And it makes the game go so smoothly when you can just leave the screenshottting for later.)

To be fair, I wouldn't have heard of the name Ewing if not for the fact that I pass by an Ewing Boulevard fairly regularly when commuting.

Also, after a few minutes of relentless Wikipediaing, I'm fairly sure that Jeke's name refers to part of Inner Mongolia, China. Makes enough sense to me, given that Lyn (in FE7's prologue) refers to the yurt that Batta captures as "ger", which is a Mongolian term.

Boss: Calah (Biblical name).

Calah generic quote: "Lorca-remnant scum...!"

Saya to Calah: "Give up, Calah! You're cornered!"

Calah in ending scene: "Heheh... Lyn's... already gone..."

Saya: "Why [would they bring her to] these ruins? Blast..."

Alwell: "It seems they were searching for something here. After all, Lyn's having been here means..."

Edited by Alusq

My Japanese sucks pretty bad, but from the little I can read (and from the playthrough of this game I already did), I'm pretty sure that the mercenary girl (whose name is Emi, or something close to it) is Dorcas's daughter.

Do they have a talk/support convo or something once he shows up? I didn't catch that at all.

I've never seen VBA do that sort of shit. Are you using the latest VBA-M build, or some of the old ones?

Alternatively, you can record video footage of your gameplay, and then grab screenshots from the recording in your favorite editing program. No more mistiming the screenshot of an epic critical hit, and no more strange VBA glitches. (And it makes the game go so smoothly when you can just leave the screenshottting for later.)

It's definitely the latest build, so idk. I may just have some sort of curse that stops me from getting good screenshots.

To be fair, I wouldn't have heard of the name Ewing if not for the fact that I pass by an Ewing Boulevard fairly regularly when commuting.

Also, after a few minutes of relentless Wikipediaing, I'm fairly sure that Jeke's name refers to part of Inner Mongolia, China. Makes enough sense to me, given that Lyn (in FE7's prologue) refers to the yurt that Batta captures as "ger", which is a Mongolian term.

Boss: Calah (Biblical name).

Calah generic quote: "Lorca-remnant scum...!"

Saya to Calah: "Give up, Calah! You're cornered!"

Calah in ending scene: "Heheh... Lyn's... already gone..."

Saya: "Why [would they bring her to] these ruins? Blast..."

Alwell: "It seems they were searching for something here. After all, Lyn's having been here means..."

The more you know! ✰

Everyone's least-favorite mechanic makes its grand debut, along with the hack's apparent contempt for all things magic.

Chapter 4 Part 1: Making Sykes look good

QHDyRmc.png?1

Since we failed to rescue Lyn from the poorly-defended fort, Saya must march out into the darkness to return to Bandit Hell.

Gpa3h0Q.png?1

If you couldn't tell from the background, it's one of those chapters. At least it's not Thracia FoW?

aRrd4ZR.png?1

It seems we've got a new recruit, unfortunately. We'll get to her in a bit.

yZdAraB.png?1

No time to chat with our useless allies, though, as Zagarn kind of splices his way into the scene.

iNN9ZUb.png?1

He's here to tell us that we're dealing with yet more generic bandits, after a whole chapter away from them.

9GsW4qG.png?1

Before we get to those guys, though, let's look at our new mage.

joEXgvX.png?1

TZM6U1g.png?1

FDO5kAS.png?1

I don't know what her name is, but it should be "Garbage" because that's exactly what she is. She can do some OK chip damage for now, but she isn't even remotely worth keeping in the long run. Girl can't even lift a Fire tome without taking Speed loss! There's two other mages coming very soon, anyway, so even though the class is rather sub-par in this hack you still get better options than this. Like Ravi, it's a shame, but she just isn't worth the enormous amount of effort needed to make her useful.

VFYLOAm.png?1

Enemy mages are also kind of crap, but that's because most enemies this early in the game are.

Zvd7ARY.png?1

The RNG smiles and makes this easier.

mMH6QNU.png?1

Since no one else has wings, they'll just have to take the long way around.

y3uMzHd.png?1

Elina isn't quite as lucky as she was on enemy phase and gets hit, but manages to kill the mage regardless.

slWcQ1x.png?1

She also kind of flubs this fight right here.

3hcvHke.png?1

But hey, a decent level!

4GuSoxx.png?1

Ewing's got some shopping to do.

Au7CSpV.png?1

It's a pretty generic array of shop items. I let him have a Torch and buy a couple staves, but that's it.

T4HGE63.png?1

Zagarn's going on an unarmed solo mission, as there's a village way on the other side of the map that I'd prefer he reach now instead of later.

1R2HBlt.png?1

Elina finishes off the last obstacle between her and her own village rescue.

MzHVvbn.png?1

Everyone else does their best to follow Zagarn on his mad dash through the darkness.

001VXue.png?1

His borderline invincibility will helpfully draw out less-than-competent foes from the night.

uM9DFWm.png?1

I can't say the other Nomad I've got is going to do nearly so well at that.

GLsUJXr.png?1

I guess it could've been worse, though.

L2Y5r3Z.png?1

There is Fighter with a Hand Axe lurking around this village, so Elina is waiting right here where it can't immediately destroy her.

3FjXbwM.png?1ht92hEF.png?1

Grape and Rostov are here to clean up all the enemies that left their safe hiding spot to chase after an invincible old man.

F3r5P0E.png?1

I'm not sure what my thought process was in this. Maybe I just wanted the horrible bug-eyed freak to die so I could be done with him.

2KsFwYT.png?1

I guess he softened him up just enough for Saya, though.

ZmeBGbC.png?1

Will she get a good level so maybe she doesn't have to crutch on her super-swords so much?

ERCjIJH.png?1

Of course not. She truly is Lyn's daughter!

1z3qGLP.png?1

Despite previously working to end his life, I let Jeke get healed because I'm a completionist first and foremost.

hP0Nsw0.png?1

That's about everyone competent in range of our enemies right there.

G7pkPM8.png?1

Yet our foes still only have eyes for Zagarn.

ZLzpXoZ.png?1

At least one of them had a slightly smarter idea.

LWcwkX0.png?1

Village 1 of two, ready for rescue.

PF1IB5J.png?1

What sort of fancy treasures does this old man have in store for us?

yn3bHpp.png?1

The least useful statbooster in the game, that's what! At least it's good vendor trash.

GIeArjd.png?1

Elina flies away in order to avoid reprisal.

pTac2H9.png?1

Her friend Amy is busy proving her superiority to any Merc that crosses her path.

yG42uMM.png?1

Rostov helps out too.

wY7JtLW.png?1

And gets the least Rostov level possible. You're supposed to be the "red" cavalier, buddy!

ir26sMz.png?1

That's it for all the foes we uncovered here.

5w07RAs.png?1

Zagarn uncovers nothing new yet.

VaGXixL.png?1

Perhaps Ewing's new trinket can clear things up for us.

Igv66lv.png?1PPGS1zQ.png?1

There's a few scattered enemies here and there. The most notable is the Mercenary, who'll be giving us our first Steel Sword once we gut him.

EOjwzHd.png?1

Toby was kind of banged up, so I was a little worried about this.

Il5CXxg.png?1

But I really should've known better than to fret.

dTvAgtn.png?1

Zagarn has nearly found the object of his mad race, but falls just shy of it.

ldOwZja.png?1

These poor soldiers did their best, but none of them have ever stood a chance against us.

pcNuhV1.png?1

It's been really encouraging to see Gim getting good levels so far. My previous experience with him wasn't so hot.

TYNKP4H.png?1

Elina can finally stop flying around by herself at the verge of death and gets some much-needed heals.

frSYhrf.png?1

She nearly wastes it going after a shiny new sword, but the RNG favors her yet again.

RyD0dJQ.png?1

Let's send our useless little mage friend to the armory to see what they've got in stock.

T13QeB5.png?1Y4HwIMt.png?1

The most interesting stuff is the Javelin and Hand Axe, which I buy two of apiece.

Q456pqP.png?15pBPxbB.png?1

Alright, it's time to get more amazing items for our army.

C3aPAtK.png?1

Or just a Short Bow, that's cool too. For those who might be worried, it's not some awful TLP Short Bow either, just the regular 2-range variant.

N8z91jW.png?1

Enough picking up garbage, though, it's time to get something legitimately useful.

JIcugT6.png?1

We've got ourselves a Steel Sword!

MXw5aSc.png?1

This is not the most well thought out formation, but whatever, I'm sure I'll be fine!

wEsioxC.png?1

As Enemy Phase begins, one Archer makes a very unusual career move.

xNIj71G.png?1

Very unusual indeed.

Q2bzsry.png?1

Maybe he was just trying to break Grape's Javelin. That's really sacrificing oneself for the cause.

nWTmDxO.png?1

It sucks that it broke, too, because Grape does not have a good time afterwards.

vp7DbA2.png?1

Amy's still got that Armorslayer, and takes out a stationary Knight.

Zg6AJem.png?1

Our slightly deformed Wrys clone heals poor Grape after his near-death experience.

16ETZ4R.png?1

I only intended for Elina to soften this guy up, but she way exceeded expectations.

0xrU3f9.png?1

Fritz is not inspired one bit by his friend's wild success, and continues to be barely adequate.

3GOxsON.png?1

It's really sad when a thief is a better combatant than you.

TCSGHSn.png?1

This is kind of a surprising level for this kid. Maybe he'll be semi-competent if this keeps up, but.

MLnLUQm.png?1

I'm a little more prepared for enemies than last time, so hopefully no mishaps occur.

G5IpMLG.png?1

Bandits have started pouring in from this side of the map, shrouded in darkness. I don't know if they attack the villages or not, but I figured it was a safe bet that they do.

4YhTEBf.png?1

Fortunately, the rest of their friends are only interested in attacking people.

57sXX6c.png?1r7vErOY.png?1

Pretty much everyone attacks Grape, and at first things go mostly pretty well for him.

SVlATfQ.png?1

Maybe not so much in the levels department, but then every point of Defense counts when you're the "green" cavalier.

B78vjur.png?1

Things take a rather unfortunate turn, though, and he's left on the brink of death once again.

FPcQNmG.png?1

0qF9YJC.png?1

X3m9gYv.png?1

Then some cutscenes happen. Please spot the recruitable characters here. I know it's a challenge, but do your best!

jFEM6FP.png?1

I'm cutting things short here, so you'll have to wait to meet whichever of those handsome devils up there joins our noble cause. I promise it won't take me over a week to post!

Plot conjecture: it seems Saya and co are now searching for Dayan and the rest of the Kutolah to help against the Djute.

Saya: "Uncle said it was safe as far as these parts, but..."

Liane (mage girl): "Heeheehee~."

Zagarn: "There's a village over there, but it seems someone's snuffed out the lights."

Mage: Liane. A young witch in training. Hates to lose.

NotNavarre: "Understood. I'll go now."

Black-haired girl: "Please, wait!"

NotBinks: "Huh. Seems like these guys've got some bones."

• 2 weeks later...

Mage: Liane.
A young witch in training. Hates to lose.

It's a real shame that she hates to lose, because that's basically all she's good at.

Sorry about that schedule slip, but we're back! Time for Saya and friends to move on from this shadowy realm I've left them in for something far more interesting.

Chapter 4 Part 2: Clerical Error

1ry7OdO.png?1

We're finally ready to continue chapter 4 after a whole lot of not doing that.

724VxLI.png?1

We'll kick things off with Amy performing her usual stunts.

IGPl7MZ.png?1

And grabbing her usual stats.

7FuZj5h.png?1

Rostov is here to help too, of course.

uTijp10.png?1

It seems we've discovered not!Navarre's hiding place. Since he's obviously joining us soon, let's see what he's got in store for us.

p90NDgn.png?1

WzEGxiO.png?1

tKZt6it.png?1

To be perfectly honest, not!Navarre isn't terribly compelling. I'll admit I didn't try to train him, so perhaps he's better than I initially assumed, but I didn't see much point in using both him and Amy, and Amy always seems to turn out so good that he's a little outclassed. The crit bonus he'll get when he promotes is nice, but it doesn't help him much now. Still, I think I'll give him a shot this time and see if he turns out okay. He might be a better Swordmaster than the other Myrmidon that'll be showing up later.

WnkkvoD.png?1

Toby is doing way better than I expected him to. I'm not sure which of the two fighters is better yet, but they both seem to be doing okay.

MWyUG3W.png?1

I didn't really plan this one all the way through.

bpardDK.png?1

That's definitely not good, but it could've been worse.

H1MJS3P.png?1

On the opposite end of the battle, Saya is attacked from the shadows by a raging bandit.

EzUQcIW.png?1

She doesn't have much to fear from him, though.

tLCwKBp.png?1

All the enemies around not!Navarre proceed to gang up on poor Rostov and bring him to dangerously low health.

DX8tfpY.png?19mPiLvL.png?1

This is immediately followed by the cleric lady from before running off into the darkness. This somehow reveals the positions of enemies in the fog, which is certainly not a bug I've heard of before.

6ET6D6s.png?1

After Saya deals with her newfound friend...

n0l87JK.png?1

Everyone immediately backs the fuck up. I don't want this stupid asshole to suicide on someone. 

e4MfpOG.png?1

In addition to Mr. Edgy Myrmidon, all his pals will chase us throughout the map as we run in terror.

aEAGrmX.png?1

Luckily, we can get at least one of those problems off our tail pretty soon.

op1qW5y.png?1

DlOyqq8.png?1

p7wLaID.png?1

If you didn't like either of the Priests/Clerics the game has already handed you, it generously throws you a third one as early as Chapter 4. I've never tried to use her because I'd already been training up Helga, but I might give her a chance this time.

cO3upMD.png?1rwuaama.png?1

Some rescue shenanigans got her all the way over here, safely out of reach of the Navarre clone.

ZtYdyvE.png?1

On enemy phase, Saya uses the power of animation smears to engulf her foe in a void of white nothingness.

tF8jSoe.png?1KBPMudz.png?1

Elina has some super close calls, but thankfully makes it through the turn only semi-scathed.

N4uzlBa.png?1

Just when I thought Saya's guard duty was at an end, another Brigand shows up to flub his attack.

2OFdIWh.png?11hkTuFh.png?1

We've got ourselves a generic archetype!

MRuUknR.png?1

Now we can push forward to the boss without fear.

PDyI2wm.png?16VYHoOM.png?1

After getting patched up from his little misadventure, Rostov is perfectly happy to join in.

Cw5qbtP.png?1

Here's Generic McBoring Myrm's palette. It's a bit ugly, to be honest, though the biggest problems I have with it aren't visible here.

3AJxogC.png?1

I know I could've just had her retreat, but that would've left this dude alive for a whole extra turn, and as you all know I'm about efficiency 100% of the time.

fgxbfLb.png?1

Besides, she got a good level and everything!

LG4BHPw.png?1

It was all a part of a master plan.

a84NVwg.png?1

Back at the ass end of the battlefield, Saya disposes of yet another generic brigand.

LwYm1XE.png?1vFMwNO8.png?1

Grape comes in to help with the other one, and does so well he distorts reality for a moment.

ziwi8yU.png?12M52XIe.png?1

Sadly, the foe not only survived, but even summoned yet another bandit from the darkness to not accomplish much.

tiocffT.png?1

They're not hard to deal with, but it's added turns to a Chapter I've already spent way too long on anyway.

swLHg39.png?1

Here's both of the new characters with their palettes. I like the Cleric, but that Myrmidon palette is seriously hideous. I'm not sure what the idea here was, but I'm hoping if I do promote him he doesn't continue to look like he spilled hot sauce all over himself.

4puRdZQ.png?1

I know I don't have a great history of hitting things with Javelins, but surely he won't let me down here, right?

HF6cyw6.png?1

Ah, okay, I guess he will.

Ga0t367.png?1vLP6tL2.png?1

Fortunately, the inability to hit things from range goes both ways.

gh2bbsY.png?18ZwHxgU.png?1

For throwable weapons if nothing else.

dRSo0xr.png?1

My attempts to feed our small thief friend cause the sudden return of the void.

DhEkWJi.png?1

I don't know what I was expecting.

NvzKkzQ.png?1

The boss stands before us, with his recolored portrait and all.

rGbV57g.png?1

5SzXvQV.png?1

KoqBgA4.png?1

He's fairly generic as far as bandit bosses go, all things considered. Probably won't be too tough to handle.

TCh3ncp.png?1

Let's just clean up the last of his mooks and hope Saya gets a decent level.

Bt9TacX.png?1

For once, she actually manages, but let's not celebrate yet. She's got a long way to go before she's combat capable.

sEDeZ5X.png?1

Oh hello, I totally forgot about you.

lt9euVN.png?1

I guess not everyone did, though.

VcWJCyy.png?1

Dealing with the mage gives Rostov a very odd (for him) level. He's not supposed to be the fast cavalier, but he's getting there!

nsX1Ncq.png?1

The boss is all that's left now.

d17rUYS.png?1d1RxqqT.png?1

I'm sure Saya can take him, right?

M9khThB.png?1

Oh, of course not. I forgot who I was talking about for a second.

jSYPnjs.png?1

I try plopping a few units around her in the hopes he'll target them with his Hand Axe and leave Saya alone.

xlS4nIU.png?1

He still only has eyes for Saya.

ibKgnDT.png?1

oh thank god

xPO9WNd.png?1

OH COME ON

iX9Rrys.png?1

Fuck it, sending in the nukes.

O0TYyrP.png?1

As he fades from existence, the last thing he sees is the perpetual smile of a cheery Mercenary with a huge sword.

g4kvs0A.png?1

Though if she does that again she won't have much reason to smile anymore.

rAmfy2g.png?1

I decided to let our new Cleric get a level to see how she does.

MVzvJVT.png?1

Not bad. I haven't made my mind up yet between our healers, but this is promising.

YoGvx1h.png?1

Saya seizes the bandit's fort/town/house/whatever, woozy from the blood loss and her own ineptitude.

IgsUemC.png?1DYVvT07.png?1

The new recruits talk, presumably about how they're staying with us for various probably contrived reasons.

Vxeb04E.png?1whGM13Z.png?1

Then we get a scene with some villain-type characters. You can tell they're evil because their eyes aren't big and doe-like.

im4MIIf.png?1

Time for a sidequest! Next time, we encounter a mission with carts in need of protection, only we're the ones they need protection from. I promise it won't take me two weeks this time!