Let's Play Sword of Heaven and Earth: Dreaming Of A Better Lyn

epilepsyduck

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/17/2017 at 8:35 PM, Baby Bonnie Hood said:

This is kind of an important question for me.

...do the FE6 guys blink in that hack?

Some of them do! Dayan's definitely got blinking frames, but I haven't been paying much attention to the cutscenes so I'm not sure if everyone else does or not (I think Narcian does?).

I'll admit I'm not so attached to the blinking, but I get why the unerring stares of pre-FE7 portraits can be off-putting.

1 hour ago, Vaximillian said:

Oh fuck, I'm bad not only at katakana, but also at not-Engrish.

It's Sandra, dammit!

Here I was assuming that was a totally legit name that I'd never heard of. What fools we are!

Figures it'd take me a couple days to finish Chapter 7, but nevermind that. A tasty treasure-trove of experience awaits.

Chapter 7 Part 3: Unarmored Defense

Spoiler

O9TCXgy.png?1

The lone remaining boss has sent out a number of foes to prevent me from crossing over the river and killing him, so let's show him what a terrible idea that is as he only feeds my army and makes them more powerful.

uanF6ir.png?1qGSWzIL.png?1

Well, that'd be happening if my guys would try aiming their weapons at the man and killing him.

ZNqmegJ.png?1

It always seems to fall to my bluecavs to get the job done.

mB484hn.png?1

Emboldened by her new ability to get Magic against all odds, Flomi begins healgrinding like theirs now tomorrow.

lbSEnyR.png?1

Oddly, this bandit doesn't even try to attack anyone, just parking his ass on the logs and blocking the way.

7gg3z3y.png?1

His friends aren't quite so pacifistic as him, though.

Y4IBuLC.png?1

Wow, that's just a rude thing to do to a person.

30g6hGj.png?1

Since this dude's so unwilling to hurt us, let's get him on our side.

3I2d00i.png?1

I don't know what the relationship between these two is, but given the way the blue guy moves around I'm guessing he's a bit of a Marty-esque bandit.

0MXmPXr.png?1

I do love having playable Brigands, almost as much as playable Soldiers, but does this guy have what it takes to make it to Endgame?

ov6MVtq.png?1

qF51x4U.png?1

0VLs6jL.png?1

Like pretty much all the recruits this chapter, Blue Marty isn't much to look at right now, but my experiences with him in my last run were pretty excellent, and he became a bizarrely tanky Berserker with plenty of Skill. Hopefully that wasn't just luck and he'll be similarly great this time around too.

VM9XXNi.png?1

Blue Marty immediately tears his shirt off and goes to town on his former allies, his previous pacifism forgotten.

C1rGyuY.png?1

Amy's grave wounds cannot be forgiven, and must be avenged.

xUogfsr.png?1

Saya's not such an expert on getting vengeance done, or really any sort of murder.

hyTQVW3.png?1mjmdkMj.png?1

Luckily, we've got stronger soldiers around to make up for her incompetence.

yXnm8u1.png?1

Enemies are gonna be spawning for quite some time, but in such a trickle that it's hard to be threatened by it. What they lack in numbers they also fail to make up for in quality.

y5SAeBl.png?1

I've still got one village left to visit, so taking out bandits is top priority.

3wDeTWc.png?1

Occasionally requiring some teamwork, naturally.

3uykJ79.png?1

More draconic foes appear, but without their more intimidating boss around they don't strike much fear into anyone's hearts.

rxoEx1a.png?1

This bandit proved to be a resilient little fucker.

qWDXuZv.png?1

Very resilient.

aJiQkrh.png?1

Ultimately, though, he proved no match for Sergei.

v5OEUqg.png?1gNZf25j.png?1

Taking out the Wyverns took even less time.

ts3U7Mo.png?1

It also gave a bit more bang for my buck.

O7sRDWa.png?1

Elina's gonna drop Toby, armed with a Hand Axe, over on the other side of these mountains so he can take on the Archers there.

YHcAzCW.png?1

Getting into range of the flying dude put Erica in range of the boss.

D8OesAZ.png?1

It was not a good round of combat for her at all.

sOadSTH.png?1

More reinforcements, who appear in a slightly odd position just below the fort.

GuqXTP7.png?1

Before we deal with them, let's place our axe-wielding master of ranged combat into place.

UFt65kp.png?1dh88MVT.png?1

These guys really don't amount to much.

b9qsw5y.png?10sgANX8.png?1

They make perfect fodder to level up all these newcomers, at least.

9FDRkkO.png?1

Let us wash away both the wounds and the memory from Erica's little mishap and continue on.

WUQb8Yz.png?1

I was so certain this plan of mine would go flawlessly.

Qg1XECD.png?1oODA25r.png?1

In the end, it pretty much couldn't have gone worse. So much for Hand Axe accuracy.

Jp0BPiA.png?1

Over with everyone else, combat seems to go far better.

3dz4qm7.png?1

I'm feeling pretty vindicated for choosing Sergei as my main Mage.

IUmKMsU.png?1

Gim shows up his fellow Fighter in hitting things from afar.

e94etd6.png?1

Toby decides to ditch the whole throwing axe notion and go straight for the kill.

y5LaQom.png?13zPbHwA.png?1

He doesn't get a lucky crit or anything, though, so I end up moving Elina into range to kill the guy.

48dDSVk.png?1

The AI responds predictably to this.

AbMpfJ1.png?1

But thankfully, disaster is narrowly avoided.

9x3UU1U.png?1

The boss still hasn't given up on his "throw weak soldiers at the enemy in tiny groups of 2-3 guys" strategy. I guess it's worked so incredibly well for him so far, why stop now?

ExhQCyj.png?1

Toby is a man with a mission, and that mission is to be the strongest man in the world, regardless of what he must sacrifice to get there.

PNWULk3.png?1

Elina has no such illusions of strength, but manages to get the job done where Toby could not.

xzGSyHc.png?1

A little Soldier-to-Soldier combat proves embarrassing for Diana.

3bNdGXc.png?1

Grape has to make up for the feeble lancer's mistakes.

ljtDOUi.png?1

Gim finishes off the last foe Conrad could send against us.

6eQ99pX.png?1

He really needs to pick up the slack a bit to make a strong case for himself. The game's gonna start getting harder soon, you can't coast forever!

dtwTrlX.png?1

Let's finally nab this village many turns after I first tried to do so.

H2hneKe.png?1

The villagers are a plain-looking bunch next to the attractive animes that make up the army of any given Fire Emblem, official or otherwise.

gSs7BZK.png?1

Given that Ravi's officially on the bench for good, and we won't be getting another Shaman for a long while, this isn't too helpful.

GlC4XH9.png?1

With all the enemies out of the way, and the boss sitting stationary on the gate, I'm free to use the Arena as I please. Rather than abusing it until everyone's some Level 20 monster that can beat the whole game, though, I'm just gonna use it to give everyone who joined this Chapter exactly 2 levels, just to give them a boost and get them up to par with everyone else.

P3T8Jq8.png?1

Blue Marty is the first to get a chance to shine.

Al4F9uz.png?1xIjJlCz.png?1

He does about how I remembered, getting Defense and Skill but not a lot of Speed. I hope he gets a point or two of Strength, though.

9FX5kw5.png?1

Diana's performance has not been impressive so far, so can she make up for that here?

X3Acdcl.png?1OKVq6fM.png?1

*sigh*

lkkLjNf.png?1

Sergei's one level was very encouraging, so I'm excited to see what else he's got in store for me.

KUjbrBJ.png?1IGjUo20.png?1

His next two levels are not particularly impressive, though the fact they're both Speed oriented is interesting. My experiences with Liane saw her gaining little Speed, or Magic, or really much of anything, so I assumed Sergei would probably have trouble in that department too.

xwVmEQf.png?1

Sandora goes last, and getting her even one level, much less two, was a nightmare. Still, I managed. Do we finally have a replacement for Ewing?

k4tGEfn.png?1seJoXXH.png?1

Ehhhhh not really, no. She and Ewing are pretty much interchangeable it seems, though getting even 1 point of Strength is more than he managed.

oGQMVuT.png?10VydTvY.png?1

Lisette and Flomi were healing our brave fighters all the while. Lisette got some okay levels.

7vig37b.png?1XZv5sLs.png?1

Flomi, however, wasn't so lucky.

MrcFhci.png?1

Let's finally get rid of this creep and move on.

XfLhdT4.png?1

Really, Sergei?

pXGfx7i.png?1

Yalakh's time-splitting arrows are sure to help us.

Ej5Z443.png?1

Blue Marty's got a bit of an uphill battle against the RNG here, but maybe the RNG will bless him.

wwF8Z3y.png?1

Yes!

STK0D4P.png?1

I've been calling you Blue Marty, but maybe Blue Rinkah is in order.

bdgl1or.png?1

Saya's ready to seize and move on to the next conquest.

ZC9zeZ9.png?1a3Ugkrh.png?1

Lot's of talking happens.

nKBD27W.png?1

Including the music getting all sombre all of a sudden when Sandra shows up?

qp2F6dX.png?1

Then we cut away and show Lyn and the villain dude we saw before. They're not alone, though...

6ISO6pP.png?1

Who could this mysterious stranger even possibly be? The mind boggles at this unsolvable riddle!

DyYxmiT.png?1

In Chapter 8, we conquer another castle (or maybe it's this castle's interior?), continue picking up whatever idiots what to join our army for whatever reason, and finally learn to harness the power of dance.

As an aside, does anyone have any suggestions for GBA emulators other than VBA-M? The thing crashed repeatedly during my recordings of Chapter 7 and 8, and I'm honestly kind of fed up with the weird glitchy screenshots.

This Blue MartyRinkah is probably Lev (レフ Refu).

As for an emulator, I've been using vanilla VBA without any suffixes for a while on my PC and John GBA Lite on my Android phone.
Both are fine enough and didn't crash yet.

Thanks for filling while classes slayed me, Vaximillian! ^_^

exVgsO6.png
guy on right = Kashin, chief of the Ilka clan.

Thief: Sandra. A young girl who came under the protection of Castle Edessa. Contrary to expectations, she became a spy.

(You're fighting Istore soldiers rather than Bern ones in the ch where you recruit Sandra, however relevant that is)

not!Arthur: Sergei. A former countryside husband who has stepped into the role of a mage. Completely changed from his old days, he is now an intellectual.

Generic bosses: Ganz and Konrad.

Soldier (w/ Amelia sprites): Diana. A silver-haired lance user. A volunteer spirit who strives to become a powerful woman.
Brigand: Lev. A former villager from Ilia. Extremely diligent despite his outside appearance.

Edited by Alusq

This hack looks so good that I kinda wish someone would fan translate it.

Although I remember how FEGirls' translation broke it a little, so maybe one could instead recreate the entire hack from scratch on an English FE7 rom.  I dunno if anyone's willing to go through all that effort, though.

• 1 month later...
On 2/24/2017 at 9:04 AM, Baby Bonnie Hood said:

This hack looks so good that I kinda wish someone would fan translate it.

Although I remember how FEGirls' translation broke it a little, so maybe one could instead recreate the entire hack from scratch on an English FE7 rom.  I dunno if anyone's willing to go through all that effort, though.

It would be nice, but if you're familiar with FE7's menus you can probably take a stab at it anyway without issue. You'll miss out on the dialogue, but I think the hack stands up okay even without it.

Chapter 8 was way too fucking late coming out right on time thanks to catastrophic computer failure nothing bad happening whatsoever, so we're ready to engage in the time-tested assault on a castle that FE loves so much. Can Saya emerge victorious with her team of second-stringers and new recruits?

Chapter 8 Part 1: Caged Dancer

Spoiler

g7N5BCB.png?1

Now that we've beaten all the enemies outside the castle, we must now go inside... well, a castle and beat everyone there.

Seriously, though, I have no idea if this is the same castle as last chapter or not.

6vQtYfm.png?1

Well, regardless of whether it is, Saya is ready to take it on.

xMwvunW.png?1ZukRYKK.png?1

Our enemies are more than prepared for her, as we'll soon find out.

XP8wUY2.png?1

The prep screen arrives with little fanfare.

z9xiMKz.png?1

I'll be taking guys who I'd like to use but who are a bit behind in their levels. My team is:

Saya
Sandra
Sergei
Diana
Lev
Gim
Erica
Yalakh
Flomi
Lisette
Elina

KyBmp6z.png?1vV3XYCN.png?1

As we start the Chapter, a cutscene plays out. Can you figure out which of these four characters will be playable and which won't?

qvGsgcI.png?1

I guess we'll find out what these two have going on pretty fast.

oW7p5l6.png?1

WBkz5iT.png?1

IOsip3n.png?1

First up, the new Dancer. The only thing there really is to say about her is "she's a Dancer". She nets an immediate spot on the team just for that.

mf3miMe.png?1

eUhLZrT.png?1

F7K6ZQc.png?1

Then there's this Monk here, who is quite the opposite in usefulness. Lucius 2.0 he is not, and he rivals Liane in terms of sheer ineptitude. I'm not gonna bother with him past this Chapter.

J3q3uxZ.png?1

Their friend ran all the way over here, and he'll be lurking right outside the throne room for the foreseeable future. If only there was a way to convince him to join us!

mXzGRkJ.png?15RxM9uV.png?1

As everyone marches inside, I take care not to place anyone next to the walls so they don't aggro half the castle.

SuFJjDx.png?1

These two will be up to this for the rest of the Chapter. Experience is experience!

WBiYORb.png?1

Nobody on the enemy side moves an inch this turn.

osqAxPz.png?1

Our team continues deeper inside, this time in range of opponents who won't throw axes straight through the walls at them.

gm89RCK.png?1

This might seem like a poor decision on his part.

5iQD3eo.png?1

But rest assured, he knew exactly what he was doing. Reaver weapons are the worst!

FCBZ4iU.png?1

That is simply rude and unnecessary.

uXtyB0W.png?1

Clearly, someone needs to be taught a valuable lesson.

lfszwRv.png?1

Elina took quite a beating, but Flomi's around to make it better.

jimYmbL.png?1

Diana seems to actively resist all my attempts to make her useful.

DGqQUkI.png?1

At least Sergei does his best out there.

PlOij4c.png?1

Ready for what little action can still be found in this part of the castle.

9ng96Y5.png?1

I think I might have lost a couple screenshots, because there's no way in hell this combat encounter happened on enemy phase. My incompetence knows no boundaries!

lqsK1WP.png?1

Ignoring that little timewarp there, Erica is ready to lure out our foes by engaging in a little Archer-to-Archer combat.

I68LpUN.png?1

It could've gone better, but it also could've gone a lot worse.

XBapod7.png?1

Sandra steals the poor man's Vulnerary, more for the pitiful experience gains than the item itself.

1QIB44p.png?1

I remain dedicated to making something out of Diana, regardless of what she has to say about it.

BIzX9Wr.png?1

Eager as I am to throw her into the thick of things, though, she isn't ready to handle all of that!

Ga0kR02.png?1

Playing both the FE games of old and the newer stuff has made me forget just how useful rescuing could be. When's it coming back as something that doesn't require a skill slot, IntSys?

vxixUd9.png?1

In my rush to rescue my less-than-competent Soldier friend, I forgot about another feeble unit in danger.

GxxBckW.png?1

But she does okay, so no worries.

qIclash.png?1

A Shaman makes a very poor career decision.

49dIKrK.png?1

His clumsy attempt at tactics summons a few new allies to help out.

sjJKoYY.png?1

These archers here both have Longbows, and are a headache and a half because of it. It's not too hard to manipulate them into getting near the walls so you can kill them, at least.

Ac79SMK.png?1

The same can not be said for this asshole priest, who will spend all his time healing people from great distances. He's got plenty of Magic to give him good range and healing on the thing, and short of the AI being dumb and putting him near a wall, there's not much you can do about it until you've gone all the way around the wall he's behind.

lmQmwt1.png?1
We'll get back to those three assholes in a bit. For now, enjoy Diana managing another kill against all odds.

SOOCIcO.png?1

The game sure does love handing me spare Flux tomes, despite handing me a whole 1 Shaman who is frankly rubbish at his job.

uvS0PQH.png?1

That's certainly not an accusation you can level at Sergei, a master of unnecessary crits.

K0zHdKB.png?1

And adequate levels!

ORRUuBj.png?1

The game is certainly generous with 5 use Chest Keys. I'm not complaining.

A9AzteH.png?1

Gotta keep Alwell away from these Longbow guys. We're getting right to the part of the game where his starting stats are simply not enough for him to survive out there.

1hI23cy.png?1

Normally, a Knight attacking your Mage would be cause for concern.

Uh24n4L.png?1

But Sergei is no ordinary mage.

zYvnaEt.png?1

These two have gotten angry with us, but the guys behind them stay back and wait. This whole "charging at them in discrete 2-5 person groups" thing isn't really working out for y'all.

n0BrYtU.png?1EM5adGT.png?1

The RNG chooses to be kind when it comes time for the Longbow jerks to attack.

cl8Apy9.png?1

My beautiful bandit boy is ready to rumble.

w0qkBY4.png?1

He even manages to avoid getting hit. Such combat prowess!

pCcd61v.png?1PKBSZdc.png?1

Diana and Sergei team up to remove the remaining soldier from the map.

y1zg65t.png?1

Yalakh engages an archer that wandered too close to the walls.

jjgTb9Y.png?1RyN6pN9.png?1

With a little help from Erica, he takes the guy down.

kIOPUCo.png?1

Lisette patches up our brave archer after her near-death experience.

YrZtHR2.png?1

Can Gim rid us of the other annoying pest before he hurts someone else?

0eOf3eP.png?1

Well, at least he tried.

n2oQnVx.png?1

Having not been disposed of properly, this piece of garbage proceeds to attack the one unit I really don't need him attacking.

wPhRD3Y.png?1

The RNG continues to be oddly benevolent.

mpNOypQ.png?1

Gim's hard work, undone in a flash.

T6O0whK.png?1

He can't quite manage to replicate his success a second time, either.

6G27uWO.png?1

Thankfully, Sergei is always there to lend a hand.

Rkckpnn.png?1

Given how easy it is for characters in this hack to get Str/Mag screwed, I'll take it.

G0T5KTd.png?1

We continue ever-forward.

ZRsMopK.png?1

Diana continues to disappoint in every way she can think of. Nephenee she is not.

Auefzev.png?1

She meets a little more success the next time, at least.

Rp5tvK4.png?1

Not bad!

6xXuFfg.png?1

Healing Gim gives Flomi the stuff she needs.

74N1yM5.png?1Xan26Lh.png?1

The archers do not live for very long at all.

cxCoydz.png?1

Dammit, Erica, you're better than that!

OwQJfNd.png?1

One foe stands between us and the castle proper. He's just an armor knight, right?

qBFyAqn.png?1

Unfortunately, he's got the tools to skewer any Lynalikes who think they can run up to him and gut him with their special swords. Always check the enemy inventories, kids!

NLyiD7K.png?1

We've got the right man for the job right on point.

2KbgsSk.png?1

He never stood a chance.

FufOuxr.png?1

More healing items is never a bad thing!

Ju02gmw.png?1SX6p2U7.png?1

It is, however, when the enemy spawns a bunch of reinforcements on you, which will be bearing down on us very soon.

HGy7WCv.png?1

Saya is not at all happy about this news.

qYNfEU1.png?1

We end on the most appropriate screen I can think of.

We'll be cutting our way through more hapless foes in the castle and rescuing our new friends next time. Maybe we'll be done with this LP by 2030 at this pace!

I'm so sorry I took so long with this.

I'm going to contribute in the only way I can, by decyphering the names!

The dancer is Camilla (カミラ Kamira), the monk is Simeon (a variant of Simon, シメオン Simeon), and the myrmidon is Boris (ボリス Borisu).

Welcome back!

Dancer: Camille (can be interpreted as Camille or Camilla, but I prefer the former because the latter is now an official FE character's name). A tranquil dancing girl. Dancing brings her joy more than anything else.

Monk: Simeon. A monk of the Order of St. Elimine. A preacher who believes strongly in peace.

4 minutes ago, Alusq said:

but I prefer the former because the latter is now an official FE character's name

Well, there's already Selena and Selena, Arthur and Arthur, Deen and Deen (one of those might change with the release of Shadows of Valentia, but for now, I operate by the Heroes poll), Cain and Cain (Thracia remake inevitable? I hope so).

Honestly, thanks for still being here to translate this shit. I wasn't sure anyone was still interested in this LP!

I refuse to call him "Simeon", his name is Simon now because I said so.

Let's continue our merry way through the castle, this time without a month-long pause between updates!

Chapter 8 Part 2: Perils of the Preacher

Spoiler

3814wlG.png?1

Sergei's victory against the Knight was not without injury, but lucky for him Lisette's nearby to patch him up.

wXay60k.png?1

At least for the time being, we're done with the obnoxiously long hallway!

chqRM9M.png?1

We do, however, have these cavaliers to contend with soon, who'll prove just a hair tougher than the enemies already in the castle.

FPXP41w.png?1

While we're doing that, we also have this clown to deal with; a soldier who's coming straight for Camilla and Simeon. Since neither is armed and both are pretty fragile, this adds pressure to rush through the castle and save them as fast as possible, despite the approaching danger.

EAtkLZ0.png?1

Naturally, neither of our new recruits is excited about the prospect.

ExG7DHN.png?1

The cavaliers are joined by a squad of six mages, who'll proceed to chase us down as fast as their 5 Mov can carry them. It'll be a while before they're a problem

gvzK72S.png?1

my impeccable front lines include a key mistake I've made. See how long it takes for you to find it!

IAJBZEz.png?1

Simon is gonna block the soldier due to his (slightly) better bulk. He'll just have to keep popping Vulneraries until I can get someone down there.

anQtdb2.png?1

He gets at least one turn without an endless barrage of pointy sticks, at least.

71g3FSz.png?1DcgCBQ7.png?1

My own foolishness leads Lev into a sad time.

CCpssxZ.png?1

Sergei is better able to handle the Mercenaries and their scary Steel blades.

4tZxBlw.png?1

Diana continues to be inadequate.

FjRcILO.png?1

At least Elina does okay for herself.

50N5To0.png?1

Lev's turn just keeps getting worse and worse. At least nobody can attack him now.

TAiYMaq.png?1

Diana just barely dodges her own near-death experience.

QXW1Buu.png?1

As if the time pressure of the soldier attacking our new units wasn't bad enough, the game now throws a thief into the mix. It really wants to emphasize moving fast.

VAtfC00.png?10TNCtDE.png?1

We have a fairly easy time removing all the Mercenaries once Player Phase comes along.

vUJ3kqg.png?1tFphPTk.png?1

We also nab some sick crits in there.

nZ6MDbS.png?1

Lev refuses to heed anything the Weapon Triangle has to say to him.

v7Jw0Hq.png?1

He gets a nice level for his defiance.

YoSDaWS.png?1

Simon's first turn protecting his Dancer friend.

bnnOryI.png?1

In hindsight, maybe she should've gone in front. Simon doesn't dodge a single attack thrown his way through the whole chapter!

1o0w01B.png?1AF8IKQm.png?1

Impending doom continues to impend.

4IL4wW7.png?1

The lone remaining shaman takes a spiteful approach to his last-ditch offense.

otC3r13.png?1

This priest has one last heal in him before we put and end to him, and chooses a target that isn't terribly likely to survive long anyway.

g6eOWEc.png?1

Since there's not much else for him to do, he takes a glug of a Vulnerary. It was nice of the prison guards to let him have those!

2n87Qdp.png?1

Our assault continues practically unimpeded.

4b0DM7b.png?1

Elina can't quite finish of the priest by herself.

87PkS3B.png?1

The embarrassment of this is so great Elina gets a mediocre level from it. Well, I guess I can't complain about Strength on her, but still.

9UzbSaR.png?1

Since I'm always looking for opportunities to feed my thieves, I let Sandra do the deed.

b3cLokt.png?1

It doesn't pay off in the slightest.

FGiF2J5.png?1

A couple of fighters stand in the way of the only entrance to the prison cell. Thankfully, I've got the right guys for the job.

Dsu9r39.png?1

Simon continues his neverending woe.

wqmfv1k.png?1

The fighter chooses to end one of his own rather than take on the rapidly-growing brigand.

I0Xsy5b.png?1

Though Gim isn't doing so bad himself in that department.

4MG3V0g.png?1

They put him in a tight spot, but ultimately he pulls through.

KPSVHKZ.png?1

The cavs have nearly caught up with everyone.

kv3hhcN.png?1Fj0oVX1.png?1

With these two out of the way, I can focus more on this new batch of friends.

fPneyIZ.png?1V6JGUGR.png?1

Sergei gets the first hit in, since I want to feed some of my less-capable units.

UPNwjQS.png?1

Yalakh's strike is so powerful the UI can't even begin to handle it.

Pk6ZBY7.png?1

After constant uninspiring mediocrity, can Diana redeem herself?

5kSwoUo.png?1

Eh, close enough.

1tCsizH.png?1

A little overkill is never a bad thing.

rTJKOrU.png?1

Saya chooses to be very conservative with her Mani Katti use and crits.

hJX3jbt.png?1

She even gets a level that, for her, is basically perfect, or as close to perfect as she can hope for.

cMJ8WHd.png?1

Simon's trials are truly unending.

bLwDNq0.png?1

The cavs really should've waited for their mage buddies. They would've been unstoppable!

Y6vSpkY.png?1

The thief has arrived at the treasure room, and is gonna be slowly breaking down this wall. Why this little cluster of rooms is only accessible from a set of stairs that lead into a basement is beyond me.

zl8pIO9.png?1

With only two cavaliers left, they make one last effort before their inevitable falls.

BVH7CGH.png?1ipMg2xF.png?1

I suppose they tried, at least.

ZIGBXry.png?1jq2w0Wf.png?1

With both the incoming thief and Simon's cycle of pain and misery, I employ the ultimate team to break down the wall between us.

fJxv8Tk.png?1

Despite so much success in the past, Sergei lets it all down.

JhvbTV0.png?1q9IjBpp.png?1

It falls to the less talented friends to make up for his mistakes.

deM4TZB.png?1

Saya sure does love crits! I'm gonna be heartbroken when the Mani Katti inevitably breaks.

Gwy3Zst.png?1

I often feel a bit bad for the healers, who get so little of the spotlight despite working so hard on every turn.

i1kzNoW.png?1

And really, it's a rare day when any of my actual fighters give me levels like this, but Lisette is no slacker.

yJnAakT.png?1

Time for some trade-equipping! The Sol Katti's +5 Res is gonna come in real handy once all those mages charge in.

us35AM7.png?1

This is perhaps the longest execution anyone's every tried to carry out.

P61sSlJ.png?1

Time to put that marginally-improved Resistance to the test!

oP0kkd5.png?1

I guess she didn't really need it.

jRvhTZ9.png?1

Lev can't quite get over to the soldier, so I guess Simon has to sit through more tedious attempted murder.

zQfgMdI.png?1

Time to steal all this fabulous treasure before the red guy can!

kPOKYzL.png?1SaWxsRi.png?1lnd4ChB.png?1APSkTGw.png?1

After all that trekking it took to get them here, the mages go down like absolute chumps.

nKRmz0N.png?1

Sergei keeps piling on the Magic.

qPaJFN9.png?1

I feel like Simon's gotten used to this at this point. Probably just reading a magazine waiting for someone to stop this guy from stabbing him.

4RwjukD.png?10cjbsIr.png?1

Honestly, such a dishonorable way to fight. You jerks deserve what you get.

peelDEQ.png?1

It'll have to wait until next time, though. Maybe we'll complete Chapter 8 in a reasonable timeframe!

• 3 weeks later...

*sigh* So much for not getting delayed again. I think I'm gonna have to accept my schedule's permanently turbulent.

May as well wrap up Chapter 8 anyway.

Chapter 8 Part 3: I just want to leave this fucking castle

Spoiler

A7jvigi.png?1b1Lg2Ku.png?1

All that remains of the mage menace falls beneath a flurry of arrows.

pDhKFZs.png?18ed7ReA.png?1

The resulting levels are... variable.

OP9NQ9e.png?1

I can finally devote all my attention to the interior of the castle.

z2yoj4M.png?1

Also, I believe we have a few new recruits to save.

QsSj5a0.png?1klMjtAQ.png?1

Lev's a real hero, and his efforts are much appreciated.

f4awUGX.png?1

Now, you perfect blue-haired angel monster, go and destroy the enemy!

CVOUHp4.png?1

Before we get to that, it's time for treasure!

q4MFtrT.png?1K4UThwp.png?1

We get two very useful staves...

GfGrrq4.png?1

Plus this thing, which is gonna sit in the convoy until Lisette promotes.

V8taKJN.png?1

While Sandra was running around grabbing treasure, I made a teensy tactical error, for the very first time.

HNJ25bO.png?1

Thankfully, Flomi was here to fix everything.

J6uNGP1.png?1

THIS is a far more even matchup, I feel.

DBgRhn5.png?1

Saya even dodges his attack. Way to save on Lancereaver uses!

WP44UYX.png?1

As you might expect, our new Monk friend recruits him.

OQv97gr.png?1

He doesn't look terribly impressed with our new recruit, though.

95RIcFX.png?1

What does that loser know, though? I'm sure this guy's great!

VBlrRDV.png?1

IwLz0Wx.png?1

3hqWEnv.png?1

Oh, I guess not.

To be fair, Boris here is probably not a bad unit, but when we've already got a Lynalike as the main character there just isn't a lot of room for a unit like him. But hey, at least he isn't a Navarre clone like the last Myrmidon we picked up!

2KCmBwM.png?1

Enough sitting around, though, time to finish this place off and move on!

aejZOWq.png?1

bpy568z.png?1

XFpQtdh.png?1

Even with the upgrade to playable status, GBA soldiers just don't cut it.

wUoKTyM.png?1

Also, Camilla did this. That's nice I guess.

QbGN6l1.png?1

One last room and we can finally leave this dump.

A2tvHkI.png?1

Things here end about as well as you'd expect.

Qrg3Hmg.png?1wqtP8fF.png?1

With Erica's help, Diana manages a kill.

wbLdjOp.png?1

She fails to use this opportunity to improve herself in a meaningful way.

rw7tk36.png?1

That'll be nice once some people start hitting the level cap.

GmAtml7.png?1

Despite Diana being right there, the boss decides to try Silencing Flomi.

mA4hY3v.png?1

Yeesh, I forgot how ugly this dude was.

HGh0nr5.png?1

If only he was dealing with SNES status staves, huh?

LgxPYP4.png?1

Some incredibly feeble Shaman enter, determined to save their boss despite their incompetence.

frcDMNz.png?1stbHkLg.png?1

They fail.

hmgLK1K.png?1

I really tried to give Gim a chance to shine.

54rrpiG.png?1

Predictably, he let me down.

rjd5Jlu.png?1KHcZ9tr.png?1

It falls to my archers to handle his dirty work.

hkKZGg5.png?1

Sure?

0VhjfBo.png?1

Man, y'all are depressing me.

3JW3fba.png?1

Some soldiers show up, a second too late to change anything.

XnA31jm.png?1Xf3Z15m.png?1

I could've let them live, but that would be wasted EXP!

DlqwgMw.png?1

Erica is everything I wish Diana would try to be.

yITqYJc.png?1

Ditto to Lisette.

UArWdMD.png?1

WE'RE FINALLY FINISHED

YTjirro.png?1

Zagarn criticizes Saya for taking months to march down a hallway and kill and ugly man.

gLWfOdv.png?1

Then we get a sidequest!

hJoaS7b.png?1

In Chapter 8x, we'll meet someone who's so memetastic he made the top 20 in the Heroes poll, and also fight some bandits or something, I guess.

24 minutes ago, epilepsyduck said:

In Chapter 8x, we'll meet someone who's so memetastic he made the top 20 in the Heroes poll, and also fight some bandits or something, I guess.

Dorcas? Please tell it's Dorcas. Also, even if Boris doesn't turn out good, at least he's a free wo dao, consider that!
And the inferior imitation of Oliver you had as a boss was called Miron if you even cared in the slightest about his name .

• 4 weeks later...

I bet you kids thought I'd forgotten about this, but I absolutely did didn't! I'm back to give people who actually enjoy video games the LP they deserve.

But first...

On 4/16/2017 at 2:09 AM, Vaximillian said:

Dorcas? Please tell it's Dorcas.

Congratulations, you're correct and win the satisfaction of being right!

Chapter 8x Part 1: Itsa Meme!

Spoiler

Bu22Hvv.png?1

After almost a month of rest, Saya is ready to take the hurt to this retro-looking fellow. Japanese hacks seems to love using this bandit dude from FE3.

d3XuuTO.png?1

Here we get a sneak peak of our newest friend and the generic villager girl who accompanies him.

dxBiPme.png?13bfsLTO.png?1

Look everyone, it's Dorcas! He's got a spiffy new look and everything!

Dbk1Cbv.png?1

Despite a total lack of poison, mutton or especially poisoned mutton, Dorcas and his nameless friend flee into the mountains.

SYoWnvK.png?1tk0r2CG.png?1

Just as they do so, Saya and her buds appear on the horizon to help.

J5kF20g.png?1UeDkLt1.png?1

Not much unusual went down in the preparations for this level. I brought:

Saya
Lisette
Gim
Lev
Erica
Elina
Sergei
Yalakh

Lev used the Speedwing we got back in Chapter 4x, which in hindsight maybe wasn't the best investment. Oh well, too late now!

Gtyu78z.png?1

The second the chapter starts, Dorcas instantly turns blue. Wow, thanks buddy!

Shall we see if the mememaster is any better than he was back in FE7?

zdhL8Zy.png?1

4QaYr0R.png?1

tYwwUJd.png?1

I mean, I guess? In the context of this chapter itself Dorcas is pretty tough and can probably handle himself without issue, but as far as wider usability goes my fighters are both roughly similar to him and power, and they haven't even promoted yet. Probably not gonna get much mileage out of him, sadly, but at least he gets to show off for now.

H3NeZHh.png?1

It's a good thing he can handle himself, too, as we start very far away. It'll be a while before we can get over to the dude.

Aw0Csmy.png?1

Elina is pretty essential to beating this chapter in a reasonable timeframe while also accessing the village and shop, so pegasus-haters beware.

IhIMkJO.png?19WFE0vl.png?1

While Elina's off in the mountains and everyone else is coming to his rescue, Dorcas takes a strategic position on a fort-based chokepoint. Don't bother trying to avoid having him kill things this chapter, because you'll just make things harder on yourself for no real gain at all.

LEC8FnL.png?1

Gim gets combat started in earnest.

78lRdeK.png?1

I said he was earnest, I didn't say he was talented.

aW2Jc90.png?1

Things like this are why I'm not taking you much farther than this very chapter, Dorcas.

EN8Tzx9.png?1c74f9Nw.png?1

Elina ends up having a very rough day.

nTDYbTa.png?1

But hey, at least she gets to enact her revenge.

HLbTUeA.png?1

Bleh.

2gKkItx.png?1

There's gonna be a steady stream of reinforcements coming for Dorcas through pretty much the whole chapter. He can mostly handle it but it does encourage you to get moving a bit.

sQtEAxO.png?1

Elina patches herself up after her little mishap.

Ffe4CkW.png?15RyendR.png?1

My units are more than a match for most of these dudes, since they've pretty much got earlygame bandit stats despite it being Chapter 8x.

dYU74Hg.png?1

Dorcas really clowns most of them, at least when he isn't missing and embarrassing himself.

zBN8yp7.png?1GYbkB4h.png?1

Despite this, they press on valiantly and run facefirst into his enormous axe.

pcO8Lo7.png?1

The mages are probably the worst thing he has to deal with, since equipping the hand axe to handle them on enemy phase knocks his accuracy into the garbage. Thankfully, with the fort, even that isn't too much of a problem.

jwrIA8k.png?1

Elina arrives at the one and only village on the map.

eBxCIKB.png?1

The old man inside is very excited about something, that's for sure!

HVIEdn9.png?1

Eh, that's not such a reward. Don't get me wrong, money is nice, but the game's been showering me in cash the whole game and I really would've liked some sort of new weapon or item.

YCQ1Z3y.png?1

Saya bravely leads her forces onward despite the fact she's probably the least qualified person here to be out in combat, and that includes the cleric.

sN34CAP.png?1

Fortune smiles the Our Lord of Mediocrity, though, and she soldiers on bravely.

G3KybmG.png?1

Well, maybe it doesn't smile so much as it smirks a little.

PE5nDW5.png?1HaicsKT.png?1

Mages prove to be the bane of a lot of people this turn, it seems.

4JRqaOa.png?1

Reinforcements can be a bit... variable in their quantity and quality alike. Dorcas doesn't have much to fear for the next few turns.

528VtGL.png?1

Yalakh knocks out an unlucky myrmidon.

CRAFWy8.png?1

I'm sorry I doubted you when I first looked at your stats.

b1mNLCA.png?1Vm9PnqK.png?1

Gim might not have Toby's amazing Strength, but he sure isn't letting that get in his way.

SVU5ZSQ.png?1

I know I make fun of Saya a lot for being one of the weakest members of her own army, but at least she puts forth a good effort.

o9JrMEv.png?1

Dorcas gets ready to put one of these annoying mages in his place.

1YmSq16.png?1

Despite the worryingly low hit rate, he pulls it off.

qzuCoTH.png?1

Elina's got a Javelin equipped, so hopefully she can do the same.

oa8Ot6v.png?2

Well fuck me

aKIyvqK.png?1

At least Dorcas doesn't disappoint.

XevEuFF.png?1FOffIXE.png?1

The archers all take a definite interest in Saya, and she ends up getting poisoned. With as much HP as she's got now, though, that's probably not much of an issue.

hXyTKAr.png?1

A single archer comes for Dorcas. I'm sure he'll succeed where others have failed.

TB78Wkq.png?1

Elina visits the shop.

96r80wK.png?1a3zjk0n.png?1

Fairly basic shop stuff is available. I bought a Vulnerary and a Heal staff. I don't really need more tomes yet.

KqipkvN.png?1

Everyone's favorite Marty/Rinkah hybrid gets ready to throw down with these annoying archers.

CZE5o1i.png?1

What a good boy.

AAc0ra4.png?1

Erica's not had a chance to do much yet, so I throw her a bone.

2D9wXvR.png?1

Dorcas continues to have the easiest time in the world over by himself.

xdz2Kg6.png?1k34aqeW.png?1

Enemy phase proves a little embarrassing, though.

Gk94EsG.png?1

The mages lurking around in the wooded valley have a difference of opinion as to who to target, and foolishly separate.

lwyE8lM.png?1UXWvC9C.png?1

They end up picked off, finally ending their torment of poor Elina.

FeA87oz.png?1

We're actually pretty close to the end of the chapter at this point.

DZ7v3sb.png?1ssVCJS8.png?1suiFV55.png?1iqg9ROq.png?1

Sensing this, the game immediately starts humiliating Dorcas left and right.

yFBsYbZ.png?1

I'm actually gonna have to cut this here, but I'll be back with more of everyone's favorite poisoned fighter and his brief stint in my army.

11 hours ago, epilepsyduck said:

sN34CAP.png?1

Fortune smiles the Our Lord of Mediocrity, though, and she soldiers on bravely.

Image makes it look like that Saya and the random myrmidon have a sword in place of their hand.

Anyways, I'm loving this LP.

1 hour ago, Gannondworf13 said:

Shouldn't the villager lady be his wife, Natalie?

Natalie has a different portrait, so I assume that girl is someone else (maybe Dorcas' daughter?)

Edited by Flee Fleet!

On 5/10/2017 at 1:00 AM, Baldrick said:

I'm surprised Dorcas didn't elect for muttonchops.

You're just making me feel guilty for not making any poisoned-mutton-based jokes.

On 5/10/2017 at 7:46 AM, Gannondworf13 said:

Shouldn't the villager lady be his wife, Natalie?

On 5/10/2017 at 9:08 AM, Flee Fleet! said:

Natalie has a different portrait, so I assume that girl is someone else (maybe Dorcas' daughter?)

Pretty sure she's just a generic villager. Amy seems to be Dorcas's daughter if the cutscene at the end of 8x is anything to go by.

On 5/10/2017 at 4:01 PM, Tamanoir said:

All his stats are inferior to his Blazing Sword's averages except Speed. What happened to makes him so goddamn fast, I wonder...

I'm guessing he ate a bunch of Speedwings before he showed up. Dummy probably promoted too early, too.

Despite giving us back our favorite meme, Chapter 8x proves to be a short and probably forgettable footnote in the no doubt long adventures of Saya and co.

Chapter 8x Part 2: A Shield for Saya

Spoiler

TZvoQfO.png?1

With everything else I sent her out to do squared away, Elina flies in to help Dorcas out.

h05niWb.png?1

Though it's really more for the benefit of getting her EXP than to actually "help" him with anything.

S4DXWjg.png?1

Along with the difficult-to-reach shop, there's an armory placed right along the path you're most likely going to go down. Don't know why that shop didn't just set up here, they can't possibly get a lot of customers where they are now.

0JG8Unt.png?1

Anyway, the shop's wares are pretty basic. I only bought one Slim Lance, since I've got plenty Iron stuff and the Slim Sword is totally useless.

QJB0KA9.png?1

There's just a handful of enemies between us and the boss.

9b1pdqR.png?1

My wonderful little tank-mage Sergei is ready to bring those numbers down even further.

KC1jLbs.png?1

Though there are some stumbles involved.

MDfnyg5.png?1

For the most part he does just fine.

OxSf1Qq.png?1

If you had told me when I first started this that the muscley-looking mage was actually the best of the lot, I wouldn't have believed you.

RZ7hAxM.png?1

Dorcas is still doing fine, of course, though since I had him equip his Iron Axe he isn't killing as much anymore.

3nSLwsA.png?1ipwzgs7.png?1

Once enemy phase ends, things don't go so well for the red dudes.

T5DcYys.png?1

A rare sight: Saya actually gets a good level for once in her life! Maybe one day she'll actually be respectable!

J1H5fO0.png?1

In addition to keeping the player flush with cash, the game sure does give you a lot of weapons outside the Iron-Steel-Silver trifecta. Not complaining at all, it's nice to have the variety.

FFm9Apk.png?1

Elina finally gets to do something other than fly around being annoyed by fireballs.

EFiipuf.png?1

Though there are still plenty of fireballs left to go around.

0oLwSR9.png?1

Lev decides to not really try today.

8ykydm1.png?1

Despite the odds being ever-so-slightly against him, Gim avoids getting poisoned like half the team is at this point.

mdbAcYW.png?1

If only that luck had held out, huh?

wxIPiIV.png?1

Despite a promising level up, Saya continues to be humiliated whenever the game gets a chance to.

rxIzt8h.png?1

Lev avenges her.

ZgEi441.png?1

He also completely shows her up in the levels department. Damn.

kjejEU7.png?2

Obligatory Healer Screenshot. Just reminding you Lisette exists and works hard every turn.

4drfcXO.png?1EqQACkV.png?1

Alright, that pretty much takes care of everything.

b7ItatB.png?1

Now let's see what this retro-looking motherfucker's got in store for us.

aOa4IQZ.png?1Eqdq8KV.png?1

Well, to be honest there's not much to talk about. He's a Berserker so he's naturally pretty dangerous regardless of stats or equipment, but the fact he starts with a Silver Axe equipped makes it easy to cheese him from afar, and he doesn't have the stats needed to wall that strategy out.

x6kSKnJ.png?1

Before I could get everyone ready to fight him, this group appeared. Reinforcements actually keep appearing for quite a while iirc, and get progressively tougher as time goes on. This group alone could prove troublesome to Dorcas if he was still alone at that point.

6oSeozR.png?1

Fortunately for him, we're pretty much done.

Wa5h5Ke.png?1

I'm sure whatever you have to say is very cool and interesting, but I don't care.

DbYixIV.png?1PE0Uiqe.png?1rr7InO0.png?1qpXLuVA.png?1

In a single turn, the Archanean menace is defeated.

4x4tecD.png?1

Okay then.

BlAehrT.png?1

Afterwards, in the Elibe tradition of joining the hero after they save you, Dorcas does just that.

ddu8StZ.png?1

He even has a chat with Amy. I suppose Bob of the A was right to say Amy's his kid.

pHLKM1m.png?1YxVf6Jh.png?1

I've actually never tested to see if this girl's death is a Game Over or not, but regardless, we saved her and get a lovely statbooster for our trouble. Saya could use all the help she can get, so it's almost certainly going to her.

wp7UE8d.png?1

Next chapter deals with inclement weather, a possible reunion with an unreasonably popular lord, and the appearance of a Mysterious Foe of Mystery.

8 hours ago, epilepsyduck said:

Now let's see what this retro-looking motherfucker's got in store for us.

aOa4IQZ.png?1

Well, to be honest there's not much to talk about.

Seems to behave been called Zaur (za-oor, not like in dinosaur).

Unreasonably popular lord? Ephraim?

Edited by Vaximillian

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2017 at 0:45 AM, Vaximillian said:

Unreasonably popular lord? Ephraim?

I like the way you think, but no.

This chapter's honestly kinda annoying, and I had to play and record it twice, so I hope the experience is a lot more fun for y'all than it ever was for me!

Chapter 9 Part 1: Luna'd

Spoiler

uedsHYZ.png?1

As Saya move ever so slowly across the continent, she runs into her missing mother as well as a ~mysterious opponent~. Who could he be?

zZRwFTD.png?1

Don't worry, this isn't like those annoying snow chapters in FE7. No movement penalties here!

oc6XICc.png?13n9mp5X.png?1

Our mysterious foe teleports in front of Saya, who is just as confused as to his identity as I am.

iCMisdy.png?1

Whoever he is, he's certainly got a spiffy class all to himself.

GzKzhs1.png?1

Time to star the chapter. I brought:

Saya
Sergei
Lev
Gim
Erica
Yalakh
Lisette
Elina
Camilla
Sandra
Grape
Rostov
Amy
Toby

UjhAKgs.png?1

This chapter's got an all you can eat buffet of annoyances to make it just aggravating to play through. For starters, your team starts off separated, albeit not by much.

hOF4SuA.png?15mVjlPG.png?1

Some of the enemies have really started stepping up their game. The Pegasus Knights in this chapter are just awful to deal with, and they'll be getting reinforcements eventually too!

3nT1KmE.png?1MrbU0Nh.png?1

There's also all this treasure sitting about, which your thief is gonna have to reach before the inevitable enemy thieves come to steal them away.

Really, this chapter has a lot of annoying little fuck-yous in it that make it a chore.

IBklxZj.png?1

Is the boss one of those, you may ask?

hs6DnRI.png?1S0o9tqD.png?1

Not even a little bit. Not!Denning is kinda pathetic actually. It's nice of him to drop that Lightning tome, even though I have zero interest in using that loser Monk the game handed me.

03Px4Mk.png?18XgdcwO.png?1

I have everyone move forward a bit, but no enemies are in range.

ZqI5aBV.png?1

We are, however, in their range.

xIn1c9h.png?1LxfJy6r.png?1

The Myrmidons are very ambitious, but not particularly effective.

KvGufFN.png?1gFhVKYp.png?1

The Pegasus Knights, on the other hand, are considerably more capable.

Z9SDRpj.png?1

Gim and Elina's little detour runs into opposition.

LCpTo0R.png?1

Well, I can't say I expected much else.

LEmmrEI.png?1

Elina very nearly dies, but the RNG chooses to spare her at the very last moment. These fucking mages are a cruel trap is what they are!

LwSIiay.png?1

Thankfully, this one drops the goods when he dies. Two Aircaliburs before we have anyone who can use them!

LAHhoNX.png?1

Erica's turn isn't the best.

cXC0Hcg.png?1

The level is just okay, too.

eAD5PJ2.png?1

This game sure loves priests with Physic and high magic.

Zbp8txD.png?1

With the enemies in range, it's time to attack.

Ju7c1gR.png?1rs50b82.png?1

While the Peg Knights have apparently been lifting weights recently, some of the other enemies are their same shitty selves.

fY52Z3T.png?1

After a string of pretty nice levels, Lisette brings us this mediocre junk. C'mon, you can do way better than that.

ONCgRve.png?1l6aW2GI.png?1

While I find the Peg Knights in this chapter annoying to deal with, at least they're still pretty frail.

3ruwmOD.png?1

Yes, this was an excellent idea and I'll hear no dissent on that.

TGxwGr9.png?1

I gotta let Saya do at least a little combat instead of leaving her behind where she belongs.

POJzWv6.png?1

I guess she does okay, though, at least in terms of defying the odds.

1rRE0sq.png?1

Since Saya didn't quite have what it takes to finish the Myrmidon off, Elina gets the job done.

piW0xJB.png?1

I wish the game would just hurry up and give me another flier.

Spoiler

Soon...

IPWLkVv.png?13JKW4Ui.png?1

I've formed a little protective bubble for Sandra to snuggly fit inside.

AB0IYJv.png?1

These Mercs have Steel Blades equipped, so they can really dish out a lot of damage.

y4vwVCc.png?1

Thankfully, they're also painfully inaccurate.

iYTPW3b.png?1

I don't know what this lady was thinking, but I hope everything turned out how she hoped.

dN2scrr.png?1

Erica really does manage to impress out there, given the class she's in.

n7upk4i.png?1

The Physic dude is very eager to heal all the damage we do, but fortunately for me he's moved just a bit too close to the action this time around.

oaraFEA.png?1

I don't care too much for Annoying Healers.

euitLJ4.png?1j0SJWQm.png?1

Erica and Grape clear the way for Sandra to run up and get the treasure.

lnvkpHE.png?1fTEiTnE.png?1

These mercs really could've used a Secret Book.

LdWixUp.png?1

oh shit

VoT7zjc.png?1

I totally forgot how fucking mean Luna is in FE7. The RNG certainly didn't favor Amy this round.

npAr8e6.png?1

An enterprising mage with Bolting tries to finish her off, but she dodges.

oBEKRG8.png?1

Erica accidentally attracts the attention of the enemy Sniper.

OGE8p72.png?1

She'll live.

68dd1tA.png?1

I was so damn worried here, but Amy pulls through, defying the odds.

v7ilA3D.png?1

Saya is a master of getting crits when she doesn't need to.

bjVkDZA.png?1

Yalakh gets revenge for Amy and her little near-death experience.

DptYcjt.png?1

Sure?

oujqPkM.png?1

Since the Sniper was so kind to walk up to us, instead of lurking out of range, it's time to engage him.

8wjVe1E.png?1

Grape doesn't quite kill him, but he comes close.

VZnpcec.png?1

Excellent!

Si4GMh8.png?1

Erica finishes him off.

7Q1tz2P.png?1

Just barely acceptable!

gim7sGN.png?1

I'm always looking for opportunities to let my thieves steal stuff, even if it's not especially valuable.

JeGUQVk.png?1

These mercenaries have proven kinda hilariously ineffective.

Ew8HfZl.png?1

Enemies from the throne room are coming down to fight.

uABWRI4.png?1

Unlike the last time he tried, the Bolting mage hits home and nearly fries Yalakh.

xPTNzTq.png?1CXTvWdy.png?1

Reinforcements arrive. The first of way, way too many, in fact. The reinforcements will be pouring in pretty much every turn for well over ten turns!

kXBdo0f.png?1

That's pretty much it for Part 1. I'll get to showing off the rest of the chapter soon.

Edited by epilepsyduck

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! So, I just wanted to drop by and say I'm liking the LP so far. Your commentary is great, and it got me to play this amazing hack. It's a ton of fun, I recommend anyone who hasn't played it yet to do so as soon as possible.

One other thing I really liked was the fact that this was my first (almost) truly blind fire emblem playthrough. I didn't know anyone's growths, I didn't know the maps or characters, and since I don't know an ounce of japanese, I couldn't read the story either. It was very interesting to have to deduce which characters were recruitable and, more importantly, who recruited them. I actually feel rather proud of myself, I believe I got everyone, and even found a secret shop in the penultimate chapter. Hopefully the hack will gain popularity and someone will translate at least the menus and names.

Now, there is one last thing I wanted to do here, and that is to share my characters. I will do so in a spoiler, because I am using a few characters not yet met in the LP (part of the reason I want to share these is to see if somebody will bother to translate the new characters. The pictures were taken in the prep screen of the final chapter. I'd like to be able to call them by their actual names during the final battle). So yeah, if anyone's gonna bother checking these out, beware of spoilers.

Spoiler

Allow me to begin with...

https://scontent.fmad3-3.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18920379_1276535802463072_5675952865080643278_n.jpg?oh=2457526ccf8453519e6f43aecb3f2b36&oe=59A027B8

Saya! She's actually rather good, really good dodge tank, and her support allows her to crit often, sort of making up for her low strength. Very much a standard sword lord. She's held back, much like every lord ever, by her late promotion, but it's maneagable. Still better than Roy's. She supports with...

https://scontent.fmad3-3.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18921631_1276535945796391_3553042902340073443_n.jpg?oh=8fe4ca113908e358f7337050d2dc73d0&oe=59A0A6FA

Zagarn. I thought the man would be an everyday Jeigan. Then I got him a level through chipping and he filled the left column. That's when I decided he would be my main bow user. He's remained consistently good at everything throughout the entire game. I did feed him an angelic robe, though, much like Seth's, his HP is subpar.
https://scontent.fmad3-3.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19029185_1276535909129728_326596487691589185_n.jpg?oh=8a2fa5242bdb46fedff84c6583aaad7e&oe=59E9AC83

I decided to give Sykes, or however it was spelled, a chance, since my biggest guilty pleasure in Fire Emblem is to train bad units. He turned out pretty great, actually! He was great in the early game, where he was nearly invincible. His tanking prowess decayed a little as the game progressed (looking at you, resistance), but even now he's still great when he's not facing mages. He supports with...

https://scontent.fmad3-3.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18920192_1276535529129766_3365179896232491679_n.jpg?oh=f08878053a23e1a6bd63d5b9a4a668c7&oe=59A837CA

Grape. He's the most balanced unit in my team. He can double reliably, do good enough damage, take a few hits and dodge well. He really only lacked HP, and a robe fixed that. Solid unit.

https://scontent.fmad3-3.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18922085_1276535765796409_5487232099420873626_n.jpg?oh=038b7081195c69c8183eaea76fd82f35&oe=59AD1B6B

Remember what I said when talking about Sykes? I thought this guy would be the Wrys of this game, so of course I had to give him a chance, but as it turned out, Lissete ended up becoming the Wrys, while Baldy here is more of a Lena. How... ironic. One of my best units. He supports with...
https://scontent.fmad3-3.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19029424_1276535715796414_4247105730073988174_n.jpg?oh=538da09d5529c07136b75684c781ded1&oe=59AC17E2

Druids are my favourite class in Fire Emblem, so I gave the kid a go. Why did Epilepsyduck say he was terrible, again? After babying him a few levels, he quickly became my MVP. He has bad durability, but who cares when he's the best nosferatank around? I really can't get over how fast he is, he's the fastest druid I have ever seen! Even with the huge speed loss from Nosferatu (somewhat alleviated by the body ring), he still doubles and dodges reliably. His magic stat is a tad low (for a druid), but dark magic is powerful anyway, and power isn't that great when you don't have speed to back it up. Speaking of which...
https://scontent.fmad3-3.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18920245_1276535832463069_8014786710079113226_n.jpg?oh=fec1ee14b8d20155b4017308d2af457a&oe=599E80E1

Yeah... I don't really know what to think about this. Sergei is one of the tankiest units in my team, and has a ton of power, but... that speed is bad, and that skill is even worse, and I gave him a statboost for each! I mostly use him as a staffbot, considering I can just throw him just about anywhere to heal the wounded without fearing for his life. Still, he was way better than that other girl whose name I forget. Damn you, christmas girl, I tried to train you, I really did, but you got one-rounded when holding Thunder.

https://scontent.fmad3-3.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18893155_1276557459127573_1065260178178628050_n.jpg?oh=e829838ffd34aa9d19596d4c6d077e7c&oe=599C7DE4

Ah, Lissete. Perhaps my worst unit. Mediocre speed worsened by her bad con, terrible might, puny defenses... she's my designated staff bot, because Otto is usually busy tearing apart armies with Revi.

https://scontent.fmad3-3.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19029285_1276535475796438_1565923059590000589_n.jpg?oh=b7b540334790758fbff06f74b26aa340&oe=59E720B8

Dorcas replaced Toby because I liked him better. Mainly because I know who Dorcas is, while Toby is a face and a sprite who occasionaly speaks in a language I cannot understand, much like everyone else (not that it really matters, there aren't any actual support conversations). Also, he didn't gain any skill at all, while Dorcas... Warrior with higher skill than strength. Good unit.
https://scontent.fmad3-3.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18951132_1276535512463101_942601970596533160_n.jpg?oh=aef2314fe046ae63c8f31315b7d15d2b&oe=59D850B6https://scontent.fmad3-3.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18951305_1276535465796439_3230948036228167218_n.jpg?oh=61d2c01d391517172cd794121862bed5&oe=59E50846

And this is the point where we get to the units from the future! This here is Esto, son of Harken and Isadora. I guess he's the son of Harken and Isadora, he looks very much like Harken, and he joined as a level 8 mercenary in a chapter that took place in Pherae. Which is also a rather late chapter, hence the made-up name. Much like other Ests, he became one of my best units with enough training, but he was easier to train than the usual Est (his joining chapter and the gaiden that followed had a good amount of axemen). Good all around, he still lacks a support partner, which makes him inferior to the Magic Duo of Doom.
https://scontent.fmad3-3.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18951006_1276535539129765_7857103587377845249_n.jpg?oh=d17f28a5f1e4fb0e0d89205950973083&oe=59E36C43https://scontent.fmad3-3.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18920583_1276535495796436_5132797128211371762_n.jpg?oh=a17f3885612f04ac9a91e5ef78e1a305&oe=59DB5C6F

This guy. He joined after I visited a random village in a random chapter. I can't say anything else about the man himself, so let's just get to his stats. He's a pretty good halberdier. Really strong, good enough speed and defenses. Great unit, I feel, and also fun to use.

https://scontent.fmad3-3.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19029328_1276535582463094_8559548293425431835_n.jpg?oh=726302f90966116c3d502c6a633ebbeb&oe=599D3405https://scontent.fmad3-3.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18920576_1276535619129757_505129995913792681_n.jpg?oh=b51defb5de9ce18ec5be371d748255ef&oe=599ECAD4

This fucking idiot. He may not look so bad at first glance, but he's still managed to be the unit who's died the most out of everyone in the team. The reason? His one good stat is strenght. mediocre speed, defense that really doesn't work against bows, HP too low to make a difference... his HP really is his fatal flaw. You would expect a character with speed in the 40s to be good at dodging or tanking, but not this guy, he's too busy looking like a sad racoon. Would you believe in the penultimate chapter he was ONE-ROUNDED BY VALKYRIES?! Not even Sykes! This guy really doesn't live up to Zeiss. Much unlike the next character.

https://scontent.fmad3-3.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18951343_1276535925796393_3699068020778124170_n.jpg?oh=a34f3b64f7df2530f21219b81ffee8e2&oe=59AE07F8https://scontent.fmad3-3.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18893223_1276535842463068_6727152028140747992_n.jpg?oh=74f2b7c46bc2b47bd2c63ac4d5bde734&oe=59AC9A9B

Stache man. Probably my favourite mug of the game. Seriously, look at that mustache. If I had facial hair such as this guy's, I'd be fidgeting around with it all day long. Okay, enough of the mustache now, this guy has the honor of being a prepromote who far surpassed his unpromoted counterpart (who also recruited him, and supports with him. Yeah, I made depressed sad sack overthere actively work to make himself even more outclassed. I usually just leave Sadman just inside the support range so Stache can destroy in peace). Good speed, great defenses... his HP still isn't that good, but he at least can dodge bows and double reliably, unlike a certain someone. Great unit overall.

https://scontent.fmad3-3.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18921983_1276535692463083_6318317351952859078_n.jpg?oh=bd184d0df06e5c5d475b6af47edf7523&oe=599C8304https://scontent.fmad3-3.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18952995_1276535635796422_3891198930848101139_n.jpg?oh=e1f2121ca82ad17fb40e9832318735f0&oe=59E8A491

Hector if he survived FE6 (quite ironical, considering the hack takes place at the same time as FE6. And yeah, I can confirm, it does, Roy appears a couple times around the end of the game. Well, I DID say there would be spoilers). The only reason he's here is because I honestly love his appearance. His stats are mediocre, but when there's a free deployment slot, I send him in to finish up stray monks or whatever. Not too impressive, really, and there are way better lategame crutches than him.

https://scontent.fmad3-3.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19030344_1276569435793042_2172605247122751891_n.jpg?oh=8e7ad3560fdedf24c118b1ec2f51b3cd&oe=59D7D5B7

Sandra was horrible. I honestly wish I gave Fatface (Astore-like thief who joined in a gaiden chapter) a chance, because he was way better than this. She dies if anything so much as thinks about her. But eh, she did her job alright. Also, unlike what it may seem, she isn't an assasin, thieves promote to rogues in this hack.

https://scontent.fmad3-3.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18893429_1276535655796420_5907083889856318838_n.jpg?oh=8f02269211f9b292b42ec5b3cafa2f02&oe=59E2CCF1

Finally, the merchant! He starts leveling up eventually. I lost him in a couple chapters. I'm not very sure, but I believe he started to level up at chapter 15, give or take a chapter or two.

And that is pretty much it. Hope you are able to continue the LP soon!

17 hours ago, Rubenio said:

part of the reason I want to share these is to see if somebody will bother to translate the new characters

I will!

“Esto” is Edgar (エドガー Edogā), the halberdier is Jeff (or Geff, Geoff or whatever you might prefer) (ジェフ Jefu), wyvern-riding idiot is Vince (ヴィンス Vinsu), Stache-man is Gideon (ギデオン Gideon), and not-Hector is Bruno (ブルーノ Burūno).

Edited by Vaximillian

4 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

I will!

Reveal hidden contents

“Esto” is Edgar (エドガー Edogā), the halberdier is Jeff (or Geff, Geoff or whatever you might prefer) (ジェフ Jefu), wyvern-riding idiot is Vince (ヴィンス Vinsu), Stache-man is Gideon (ギデオン Gideon), and not-Hector is Bruno (ブルーノ Burūno).

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it.

Spoiler

Wow, Gideon? Even his name sounds elegant and magnanimous. Can't say the same about Vincy though. At least now I have a name to yell next time a Valkyrie reaches him.

Also Jeff is as much of a generic name as the guy it belongs to (no offense to all the Jeffs reading this).