Let's Play Sword of Heaven and Earth: Dreaming Of A Better Lyn

epilepsyduck

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not expect this level of Renault apologia.

On 1/11/2018 at 3:04 PM, Goddess Serra said:

It lives! This LP still lives!

I prefer to think of it as undead and in shambles, but hey! As long as it's still moving.

17 hours ago, Baby Bonnie Hood said:

Aah!Ā  Juno closed her eyes!Ā  What is this sorcery?!

A lot of the FE6 portraits have blinking frames now! I've spotted that in a few other JPN GBA hacks that have FE6 chars, but idk where the sprites come from lol.

Ā 

Chapter 12 is the last chapter I played before starting this LP, and it's probably the biggest one yet. Prepare for surprisingly scary foes, yet more recruitables heaped onto our already-full plates, and the secret to unlocking our team's full potential.

Chapter 12 Part 1: Zyne's Revenge

Spoiler

RWlLiVg.png?1

Before we jump into the chapter proper, we have something to check out; FE7's Bonus Items! Remember when I mentioned I cheated a bit to get them?

Ā 

SpwB9Yw.png?1

I know this may very well destroy the integrity of my LPs forever, but given a certain someone's terrible Strength, I figured picking up a few free statboosters couldn't hurt.

Ā 

NXpnV5C.png?1

Some of the items in this menu have a bit of a problem with the number of uses they're supposed to have, and for whatever reason there's a dragonstone in here too. I'll take it all regardless.

Ā 

V0qmHv6.png?1

Now let's get back to the action, where we see both a familiar foe and a brand new one ready to face us.

Ā 

rCoctMP.png?1F4Fggsm.png?1

It seems that, at least, the purple haired lady is in the employ of our enemies. But with such a unique portrait I'm sure that isn't to last.

Ā 

oMBSWX3.png?1

Saya and Alwell discuss how to best get this cool-looking lady merc on their side.

Ā 

oq2fx3f.png?1

Grape was there too.

Ā 

nl5fjnf.png?1AmM2joG.png?1

Prep screen. We're bringing:

Saya
Grape
Jeff
Faina
Camilla
Sandra
Flomi
Toby
Lisette
Amy
Sergei
Lev
Erica
Yalakh

Ā 

But before we go...

Ā 

Fi4PGYM.png?1

We've got some stat boosters to dole out! Grape gets the Seraph Robe to improve his bulk.

Ā 

XvANlkL.png?1

No surprise, Saya eats the Energy Ring, finally granting her reasonable Strength.

Ā 

5w55M0C.png?1

Lev gets the Secret Book, just because.

Ā 

ZaDspor.png?1

Ditto for my logic to giving the Goddess Icon to Camilla.

Ā 

EjzXjXq.png?1

Since I feel Jeff's kinda meant to be bulky, I handed him the Dracoshield.

Ā 

c4E9eYf.png?1

And since Pegasus Knights are supposed to be magic sponges, the Talisman goes to Faina.

Ā 

eI2Fl3K.png?1

Last but not least, Erica gets the Body Ring to improve her terrible Constitution. Though as we'll see later, there was probably a better candidate for it.

Ā 

9Z2kLWf.png?1

We come to the last Chapter I have any experience with at all. Overall it's a pretty nice chapter, if a bit grueling at times.

Ā 

MXgKb5h.png?1

You'll see there's plenty to deal with, but I'll just go over some of the more notable threats.

Ā 

K5dfaS7.png?1pjqYURm.png?1

First, we have these Thieves. Much like the infamous Thieves of Archanea, they will make a beeline for the villages and attempt to burn them to the ground. And they aren't even the only enemies this chapter that will try to do this! It's best to squish them ASAP.

Ā 

N0l0eRI.png?1

There's also this motherfucker, the first Manakete of the game.

Ā 

8CRosWa.png?1

If just seeing his map sprite intimidated you, fret not, his stats are rubbish. Still, you'll wanna be sure anyone you send after him as more than 25 HP and is using either magic or a dragonslaying weapon.

Ā 

E75ZDK1.png?1

Next, we get to Part 1's namesake.

Ā 

oAjOFo0.png?12IW0Huk.png?2

I guess that might not be Zyne, but I can't be bothered to look at all +20 bosses who had this portrait in FE4. This dude's not especially threatening on his own, but is surrounded by Cavaliers with stats not that much worse than his, and they can overwhelm you if you aren't careful.

Ā 

cPpAHHo.png?1

Of course, we also have the mercenary we saw earlier.

Ā 

kCrFwGV.png?14PdTFUn.png?1

9Ny4p0I.png?1

She's probably the most threatening enemy on the field right now, which is funny given that she's also the only recruitable one. I don't know if I'll be using her or not, but we'll have Saya pick her up regardless.

Ā 

ELDutir.png?1

Lastly, there's also and archer on a little island, far away from the action. Unlike Chapter 10's ballista, this one is positioned just right to be a major thorn in your side from any side of the map. Thankfully, he only gets 5 shots.

Ā 

a8suaX0.png?1

We'll start the action off by stealing the Lockpick off this loser. The other thief flat-out drops his.

Ā 

nLEA2jw.png?1K6iaVcg.png?1

kSzKV6r.png?1UJFnKYt.png?1

With a little help from Camilla, Yalakh knocks him out.

Ā 

4laiFqz.png?1W4mSdRp.png?1

Faina and Grape tag team the other thief to finish him off.

Ā 

PJNJG0S.png?1

I'm sure we don't need this many Lockpicks, but it's nice to have them.

Ā 

VEYtslZ.png?1XuIEb80.png?1

Not a whole lot happens on the first turn.

Ā 

ZtTp3eF.png?1

Aside from a farcical murder attempt.

Ā 

OU6qP54.png?1jOuyXMI.png?1

I position myself just right to lure the approaching enemies right where I want them.

Ā 

oZgpvYI.png?1Rn5Hrxr.png?1

The bait is taken.

Ā 

Dup30Qz.png?1xnMrZ6n.png?1

Grape and Faina have a pretty productive turn.

Ā 

NCY5QZJ.png?1

Jeff a bit less so, but he still does fine.

Ā 

bPTPaW3.png?1

I can't complain about Res I suppose.

Ā 

iv9MxJt.png?1

I made a bit of a tactical oopsie-daisy, but this ballista dude can't hit for beans.

Ā 

aAuICQh.png?1

Since Grape couldn't finish off his soldier like Faina did, Erica gobbles him up.

Ā 

TkYF8uw.png?1

Saya equips her rarely-used superweapon to kill the Manakete. She's got enough health that she can handle his fire breath, and this weapon will kill him in just two hits.

Ā 

G5CIcCz.png?1

Toby gets a pretty good level dealing with the cavaliers to the north.

Ā 

fifyLdd.png?1jTo96zM.png?1

The levels of his pals are a bit... variable.

Ā 

YzFyD2B.png?1

Jeff has a pretty decent enemy phase.

Ā 

dZZgbGX.png?1kPaprMC.png?1

Normally attention from a miniboss would be cause for concern.

Ā 

YUCnVPQ.png?1

But not today.

Ā 

Jp8E6Fp.png?1

Saya engages our scaly friend.

Ā 

CWVGErp.png?1

Despite having the stats of a dying mouse, he packs quite a punch.

Ā 

0FsR3VP.png?1

He doesn't stand a chance against the Sol Katti, though.

Ā 

gyhH6Y8.png?1Zs43nj4.png?1

Jeff has a bit of a rough time, but he's a hardy boy. I'm sure he's fine.

Ā 

CKQoBLD.png?1

Had to cut it a bit brief here, but we'll continue with Chapter 12 soon enough.

Ā 

14 hours ago, epilepsyduck said:

I did not expect this level of Renault apologia.

I'm not too fond of FE7 in general, but Renault is pretty damn amazing as a character. Take that how you will.

Ā 

I know this may very well destroy the integrity of my LPs forever

I really don't want to talk about myself and my LPs in other people's LPs, but...

Hey, if it makes you feel better,Ā  your integrity will never be in as bad a shape as mine.

but given a certain someone's terrible Strength, I figured picking up a few free statboosters couldn't hurt.

Also, I find it positively hilarious that this was your objective when using the bonus menu, yet for whatever reason there aren't any energy rings in there (in the occidental version of the game, at least. I don't know about the japanese version).

Ā 

Statboosters

Good choices overall, I'd say, although giving the body ring to Archerlady means this chapter's second recruitable unit is pretty much screwed. Unless that body ring came from the bonus menu.

Ā 

I don't know if I'll be using her or not, but we'll have Saya pick her up regardless.

Fireemblem.txt

Ā 

bPTPaW3.png?1

I can't complain about Res I suppose.

I don't get you sometimes. You'll complain about a level with speed, but this crap-ass level is fine by you? Eh, to each their own, I suppose...

Ā 

Despite having the stats of a dying mouse, he packs quite a punch.

Bwahahahahahah...

Don't mind if I steal that one for personal use. It's too good to be left alone!

Ā 

Jeff has a bit of a rough time, but he's a hardy boy. I'm sure he's fine.

He's a Hardin boy.

I had second thoughts about halfway through the pun, but carried on still. I figured this thread could use some more horrendous puns.

Ā 

Had to cut it a bit brief here, but we'll continue with Chapter 12 soon enough.

Lookin' forward to it.

Ā 

Edited by Rubenio

• 2 weeks later...

Another year older and still off schedule. Some things never change!

As Chapter 12 continues we pick up a cool still-nameless mercenary lady while fighting off a deluge of mildly-challenging foes, and see yet another familiar face(?) from a game we all know and love(??)

Chapter 12 Part 2: Persistently problematic pirates

Spoiler

epM16L5.png?1

Saya's ever-slow army continues to ploddingly hack away at the foes of Chapter 12.

Ā 

R5lH6tc.png?1

Luckily said foes aren't especially great at hacking back.

Ā 

XRC2IOV.png?1RiAwuqC.png?1

Toby sets up the faux-Sykes...

Ā 

mCKmuGx.png?1

And Sergei knocks him down.

Ā 

smexa43.png?1

I'm sure you've got plenty of interesting things to say, but I can't read it so I'll never know.

Ā 

p3Coi0J.png?1

Pretty good!

Ā 

5nxzIg0.png?1

Everyone is perched just so on the northern bit of the map.

Ā 

acAFrSB.png?1CuMHvli.png?1

After a little patching up the southern group is similarly positioned.

Ā 

leUFG0K.png?1

I never really consider the consequences of my actions.

Ā 

xNGnWFG.png?1

Yalakh got roughed up a bit, but he'll be okay.

Ā 

PbnDztq.png?1

Yep, totally fine.

Ā 

yR4SJaC.png?1

Positively peachy.

Ā 

hHNAoLI.png?1

Thankfully, enemy phase ends before any other bad things can happen to him. The arrival of these pirates indicates its time to move on those villages, and soon. There's gonna be a lot of them in a few turns.

Ā 

Vqapmd7.png?1

The mercenary lady picks up a couple new friends too. All to make it just a bit harder to recruit her.

Ā 

sUJNRj4.png?1e3Odzb3.png?11kJzP1J.png?1843Ha8T.png?1

As if to make up for Yalakh's little comedy of errors, everyone does pretty nicely on my turn.

Ā 

vQuOE5B.png?1

Here we see me yet again not fully considering my own actions.

Ā 

C4qKQAS.png?1

Fortunately, Amy continues to be Amy and never lets me down.

Ā 

LOwTP1h.png?1

Let's get her on the winning side, shall we?

Ā 

xpcIbgl.png?1

I know nothing about you but I instantly love you, mercenary lady. You and your 11 Con.

Ā 

ubb9bWJ.png?1

Unfortunately, recruiting our new pal puts Saya in a bit of a bad position.

Ā 

XQf0D6s.png?1X7uDqho.png?1

Not to worry, though. We'll just kill everything around her.

Ā 

IKMGY0I.png?1

:|

Ā 

It7QC5W.png?1

Toby faces his most dangerous foe yet; a girl riding a pretty little pony and carrying no weapons whatsoever.

Ā 

W0C1Ek3.png?1

For some people out there, the danger is far more abstract.

Ā 

RXYwVsC.png?1

I did try to take out both Troubadours, but this one just managed to get away.

Ā 

yc2er0D.png?1

Our new recruit wastes no time taking down her former buddies.

Ā 

2I5dUbj.png?1

I feel like she and Amy can exist side by side quite comfortably.

Ā 

ynIlt1Z.png?1

If all you're gonna give me is Speed, why don't you try using it for something, Sandra?

Ā 

mXuzWt9.png?1

Not like it's a big deal, though; we're pretty much done with these cavaliers.

Ā 

RACQxHn.png?1

Better than Lev's at least? Gonna be capping Strength in no time!

Ā 

gdHNjSj.png?1

I always feel a little guilty for killing healers, but their deaths are tragically unavoidable.

Ā 

gF2r2Xq.png?1

As we proceed towards victory, a conga line of pirates forms in the lake. Didn't realize they were so into tacky party dances.

Ā 

spfb3f1.png?1

Grape takes down a Horseslayer-using dude, because I make sound tactical choices.

Ā 

wNHliaz.png?1

Ugh.

Ā 

PxhN67b.png?1

Saya's team is mostly done with the enemies near where we picked up the Hero girl.

Ā 

fV8B15A.png?1

Now we just gotta grab this village before the Pirates do.

Ā 

zdRAnSZ.png?1

The last of these enemies doesn't leave much of an impression before he dies.

Ā 

XZ4GwuW.png?1

Suddenly, a new challenger appears!

Ā 

m9HeXbA.png?1

To further establish Sword of Heaven and Earth as being Basically Binding Blade But Better, we meet a boss from that game, Sigune! Fun fact: her nickname is "The White Devil", which she might wanna workshop a bit before she makes it official. How about "The Beige Demon" or "The Eggshell Imp"?

If you're worried this prepromoted flier is gonna rush us down from behind, fret not; she isn't a boss and will remain entirely immobile until spoken to or killed. She's basically showing up now to (hopefully) set herself up to be recruited later. Faina and Elina talk to her here, which makes sense I suppose. I haven't tried to see if anyone else does, but I wouldn't be surprised if Saya does since she recruits a lot of people.

Ā 

SW5VfBU.png?1

Unfortunately, this means Faina is gonna have to backtrack the whole way there. Probably should've just left her behind tbh.

Ā 

BsxSzrG.png?1

I have a knack for putting our musclemage friend in dangerous situations.

Ā 

g0Ezho9.png?1

Or they would be dangerous, if this guy was toting something a bit more threatening than a mere Iron Sword.

Ā 

3lhZuxW.png?1

With the help of WTA, Sandra puts her Speed to use.

Ā 

irDWsgQ.png?1Z9oiYT3.png?1

With that, a host of new enemies appear to annoy us.

Ā 

nH5ODky.png?1

Before we get to them, let's take care of the recent Pirate infestation.

Ā 

KR1Tker.png?1

Any Strength level on Saya is a good level.

Ā 

dpj8wuc.png?1

Erica seals the deal.

Ā 

T7Gvoz5.png?1

Since I'm not too worried about wasting experience here in Chapter 12, I let our new ally take on these dudes.

Ā 

G9vmYt4.png?1SoiCAnv.png?1

Meanwhile, Jeff finishes what Sergei started.

Ā 

Lw4yqpK.png?1

Pretty decent, though missing Speed's a bummer.

Ā 

rqtvCoq.png?1

Yalakh just flatout doesn't perform.

Ā 

YBr6kKI.png?1

Since the Pirates all have Hand Axes and the like, I set Toby and Sergei out to handle it.

Ā 

x87tURO.png?1ObVzoaa.png?1

Our merc friend is strong enough that she pretty much obliterates most enemies here. Hopefully that'll pan out in the long term too.

Ā 

Xm9GmSN.png?1

Mistakes were made.

Ā 

sfmRoKY.png?1

Not anything we can't deal with, though.

Ā 

gEntSax.png?14J9KaaM.png?1

Enemies are otherwise a bit inaccurate today.

Ā 

t0cj4Dx.png?1ngJEUpg.png?1

Aside from the Pirates, I guess.

Ā 

j2sA6iR.png?1ukdgWCm.png?1

Just as the Nomads arrive to greet us, new ones emerge.

Ā 

Y3t7Bt1.png?1

I feel like that's a decent place to cut things. We'll get closer to actually completing some objectives in this chapter next update!

Ā 

Edited by epilepsyduck

The not-Musar boss was Morris, and the mercenary lady is Lydia.

ā€¦The rest Iā€™ll read in a while. Not in a hurry, not at all!

Will you show the triangle attack? It must be a law for any FE LP to show the triangle attack at least once.

Edited by Vaximillian

50 minutes ago, epilepsyduck said:

Toby sets up the faux-Sykes...

I guess you mean faux-Zyne?

Although...

FyoPCOS.png

Hm... no, sorry, I don't think that works.

52 minutes ago, epilepsyduck said:

smexa43.png?1

I'm sure you've got plenty of interesting things to say, but I can't read it so I'll never know.

"How... this can't be happening!"

I mean, I can't read japanese, but this guy is as generic as it gets. I assume it's something along those lines.

54 minutes ago, epilepsyduck said:

yR4SJaC.png?1

Positively peachy.

He ain't dead, right? No harm done, then.

54 minutes ago, epilepsyduck said:

xpcIbgl.png?1

I know nothing about you but I instantly love you, mercenary lady. You and your 11 Con.

She certainly is more competent than Echidna. And looks better, to boot!

55 minutes ago, epilepsyduck said:

m9HeXbA.png?1

To further establish Sword of Heaven and Earth as being Basically Binding Blade But Better, we meet a boss from that game, Sigune! Fun fact: her nickname is "The White Devil", which she might wanna workshop a bit before she makes it official. How about "The Beige Demon" or "The Eggshell Imp"?

Raigh doesn't exist in this game, thus making this game automatically worse than Binding Blade.

Now seriously, I'd really like to know how the creator explained this chick's presence here in the plot. I mean, she's supposed to die at Ilia. Either she pulled the "oh, no, I just retreated" BS, or in this scenario, Roy just went to Sacae, and this is all happening while Roy's busy killing Roartz.

57 minutes ago, epilepsyduck said:

SW5VfBU.png?1

Unfortunately, this means Faina is gonna have to backtrack the whole way there. Probably should've just left her behind tbh.

Fireemblem.jpg, again.

57 minutes ago, epilepsyduck said:

Our merc friend is strong enough that she pretty much obliterates most enemies here. Hopefully that'll pan out in the long term too.

With any luck, it should.

58 minutes ago, epilepsyduck said:

t0cj4Dx.png?1ngJEUpg.png?1

Aside from the Pirates, I guess.

Oh, no, that's not it, it's just that both Sergei and Toby are slow as snails in a sandstorm.

59 minutes ago, epilepsyduck said:

We'll get closer to actually completing some objectives in this chapter next update!

Woohoo! Lookin' forward to it, as usual.

I just wanted to let you know that I have really been enjoying all of your LPs. Your witty commentary and exploration of the wonderful, weird world of mods has been so fun to read! Thank you for taking the time to do these old-school screenshot LPs... I know they're incredibly time-consuming but they're enjoyable as all hell for readers like me.

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2018 at 7:13 AM, Vaximillian said:

The not-Musar boss was Morris, and the mercenary lady is Lydia.

ā€¦The rest Iā€™ll read in a while. Not in a hurry, not at all!

Will you show the triangle attack? It must be a law for any FE LP to show the triangle attack at least once.

Thanks for the continued translations. And of course I'm gonna do that, once we get our third peggy lol.

Ā 

Anyway, it's great to see so many people are still interested in my LPs. Y'all are grea-

On 1/28/2018 at 7:27 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

15123966045360.jpg

On 1/31/2018 at 8:44 PM, TanTanTantrum said:

I just wanted to let you know that I have really been enjoying all of your LPs. Your witty commentary and exploration of the wonderful, weird world of mods has been so fun to read! Thank you for taking the time to do these old-school screenshot LPs... I know they're incredibly time-consuming but they're enjoyable as all hell for readers like me.

Seriously, though, thanks for the patience and for enjoying all my rambly bullshit! This shit is time consuming but I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it!

Ā 

We don't actually finish Chapter 12 this time around, but we're getting much closer, and finally unlocking the secrets to dark magic that Ravi couldn't bring us.

Chapter 12 Part 3: Sigune's pre-desertion

Spoiler

VyhFjkD.png?1

We return to see Faina continue on her painfully sluggish journey to get Sigune on our side (eventually).

Ā 

HLnEvt0.png?1XTAh9Qd.png?1

Erica, meanwhile, gets a very Typical Archer level.

Ā 

ucIVaVS.png?1yOWpViU.png?1

I'm honestly a little fuzzy on what we were doing here. That's the problem with recording this all in one go and uploading it in parts a month at a time lol.

Ā 

W6S64aY.png?1

Anyway, Lisette gets a sorta crap level.

Ā 

wFrsbXH.png?1

Ditto for Sandra.

Ā 

SDpu7uM.png?1PDXQNbJ.png?1

Well, wherever these Nomads came from, they're taken care of.

Ā 

l7G0F0E.png?1

Toby hits a Pirate straight in the knees, lopping his legs off.

Ā 

IdEgBYI.png?1t5T1hDu.png?1

Sergei clears the way for Flomi to safely reach the village.

Ā 

vpfGBhE.png?1

Guess I can't complain too much about Speed.

Ā 

H4qoXBY.png?1

What lurks in this little hamlet?

Ā 

GNM1G5j.png?1

A lady with a weird hat!

Ā 

sbzGvtu.png?1

As we all know, women with weird hats are invariably tied to the dark arts. Let's see what this newbie has to offer compared to our last Shaman.

Ā 

G2wWNzc.png?1O41zrWD.png?1QSl3W0q.png?1

Not the most exceptional bases around, that's for sure. That Speed is pretty impressive, at least, but her horrible Con really hurts given how heavy Dark tomes are. Still, I'll give her a chance to impress me. If she does, a Body Ring might be in her future.

Ā 

f40WDnC.png?1

Despite her abhorrent Con, her Speed is still high enough to double a decent amount of enemies.

Ā 

EOKQZJh.png?1

She's got a nice, purpley palette just like Ravi did. +A palettes, SoHaE!

Ā 

9979hlt.png?1

I seem determined to put Saya in the absolute worst situations.

Ā 

Ocfbkd7.png?1Uiz0BDa.png?1

Our plucky heroine is good at defying the Weapon Triangle, when she feels like it anyway.

Ā 

d1rvAgL.png?1wKE2Lw2.png?1

These pesky Pirates continue to give my other units a bad day.

Ā 

CWWlFOe.png?1

More reinforcements moving in on us. This chapter really doesn't let up.

Ā 

64pcoh2.png?1

Nevermind that, Faina's got a prepromote to tell off.

Ā 

M8ErmgJ.png?1

Same old blather as always and...

Ā 

8cmTz25.png?1

She fucks off. See you whenever I guess!

Ā 

72jihJl.png?1eOINeV0.png?1

Now let's get back to what we all know and love.

Ā 

xh3ltLY.png?1SPcuPwc.png?1QPjnVxS.png?1ZCweOfA.png?1

Hacking the unending swarms of enemies to pieces.

Ā 

pp5Vp8B.png?1

I may have maneuvered Saya into yet another dangerous spot, but Grape Rescues her to safety.

Ā 

62wug0e.png?1

Our new Shaman friend is beset upon by the worst sight possible for the average dark magic user.

Ā 

bBzfC9s.png?1

Thankfully, she's got the Speed to avoid being doubled. GBA Myrms are kinda wimpy.

Ā 

bw85Ale.png?1

His mage buddy can't even land his single hit.

Ā 

WfdY7tL.png?1

Lydia, having finally been granted a name, shows the rest of my army what overkill is all about.

Ā 

bL3qLZq.png?1TGxl4KD.png?1

Lev just kinda has an off day.

Ā 

LMI2mAi.png?1Sz5jyOb.png?1

On my turn, retribution is achieved.

Ā 

lSVEnRq.png?1

That's alright. Magic is my big worry for you.

Ā 

cD15XyX.png?1kcvCDuv.png?1

Just here to give the support units, so easily forgotten, a little love and attention.

Ā 

1Oq9mn8.png?1ou3xi8s.png?1

My army doesn't think too much of archery. Sorry Yalakh and Erica.

Ā 

zcuUA9a.png?1

You're really not making me smile, pal.

Ā 

4lOvWyL.png?1

Erica, determined to prove herself against the prejudice of her companions, unleashes a shot so powerful it splits the screen in half.

Ā 

mUU4iex.png?1CWkpJfW.png?1

We're kinda winding down here a bit, with no more reinforcements in sight for now.

Ā 

AKmZTFN.png?1

This poor guy got killed before he even had a chance to play with his fancy staff.

Ā 

m3Qg6AD.png?1xcaFdJa.png?1

Before we go, let's just see what this village has in store for us.

Ā 

2xU6RL4.png?1

Promotion items are always a treat. Maybe one day we'll get to use them!

Ā 

wzmLLzm.png?1

There's very little chapter left, and yet I still had to cut it here. See if you can figure out where we'll be spending the lion's share of the last little bit of Chapter 12!

Ā 

Yay, arena abuse! Arena abuse is a staple of FE LPs as much as showcasing triangle attacks is.

Anyway, our lady connoiseur of headgear appears to have been given a rather unusual name of Trakina. If only I could read the rest of the Japaneseā€¦

When are you going to promote your guys and gals? How long is the hack?

Lev isnā€™t happy either.

4 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

Anyway, our lady connoiseur of headgear appears to have been given a rather unusual name of Trakina. If only I could read the rest of the Japaneseā€¦

Well, except for the name, she's already miles ahead of Sophia...

9 hours ago, epilepsyduck said:

8cmTz25.png?1

What.

Of course she would.

9 hours ago, epilepsyduck said:

4lOvWyL.png?1

Erica, determined to prove herself against the prejudice of her companions, unleashes a shot so powerful it splits the screen in half.

Erica: destroyer of worlds.

Sorry for not commenting in a while.

10 hours ago, epilepsyduck said:

Anyway, it's great to see so many people are still interested in my LPs. Y'all are grea-

On 28/1/2018 at 1:27 PM, Saint Rubenio said:

15123966045360.jpg

'Tis a great honour, to be the exception to the statement. I am... quite overcome! Forced reference is forced.

Seriously, though, thanks for the patience and for enjoying all my rambly bullshit! This shit is time consuming but I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it!

Fun fact: I started doing LPs myself after reading your own. I was already fond of reading this sort of screenshot LP, but after seeing this LP, I figured serenes seemed like a friendly enough place to try and do my own. So yeah, I've got you to thank for that.

15123966045360.jpg

Then again...

l7G0F0E.png?1

Toby hits a Pirate straight in the knees, lopping his legs off.

The pirate also has force powers, apparently, since he's able to levitate above the ground after having his feet hacked off.

Not the most exceptional bases around, that's for sure. That Speed is pretty impressive, at least, but her horrible Con really hurts given how heavy Dark tomes are. Still, I'll give her a chance to impress me. If she does, a Body Ring might be in her future.

I think that's her whole gimmick: she's like a Pegasus Shaman of sorts. She can't lift her main means of attack, but to compensate, she's got overkill speed. Still, I would recommend giving her a body ring if you end up using her. Nosferataking just isn't possible like this.

EOKQZJh.png?1

She's got a nice, purpley palette just like Ravi did. +A palettes, SoHaE!

Yes, this hack's palettes are really impressive, unpromoted Pascal aside. And it's only going to get better from here.

8cmTz25.png?1

This was one of those moments I really, really wished I knew japanese to read all that. What the hell happened? Why did she leave? Isn't the Ilian code supposed to go "don't show mercy to your colleagues"? Then again, what was she doing there in the first place, if she'd leave so easily after being talked to? So many questions... and more will soon pop up. Somebody needs to translate this hack.

Ā 

WfdY7tL.png?1

Lydia, having finally been granted a name, shows the rest of my army what overkill is all about.

Darn, even her palette's gorgeous. No, seriously. That's a great colour combination.

lSVEnRq.png?1

That's alright. Magic is my big worry for you.

As opposed to the fact that she has 4 defense and 22 HP?

11 hours ago, epilepsyduck said:

cD15XyX.png?1kcvCDuv.png?1

Just here to give the support units, so easily forgotten, a little love and attention.

Whoa, she got strength! Wooooooh!

2xU6RL4.png?1

Promotion items are always a treat. Maybe one day we'll get to use them!

One of the things I liked the most about this game is how it ditches the whole "a thousand different promotion items" nonsense and just goes for a more straightforward system of having one promotion item type for everyone. It may look fancier, but I prefer to be able to promote whoever I want, whenever I want.

See if you can figure out where we'll be spending the lion's share of the last little bit of Chapter 12!

Of course. Don't go too overboard, man.

• 1 month later...

hopefully this isn't old enough to count as a necropost-

I read this entire thread and decided to try out Sword of Heaven and Earth myself. Currently up to Ch. 17x (17 was kicking my ass for awhile so I stopped, but I picked it up again recently and beat that chapter), and it's really good. Mimics the feel of the GBA Fire Emblem games really well, far better than most other hacks I've played; overall, I'd say it's a lot like Binding Blade with some of the jankier stuff removed, and I love that game.

Might be a bit premature to do this since I've not completed the game yet, but I figure I might as well show off my current team (in a spoiler tag for space reasons; there's nobody I'm using who hasn't been introduced in the LP)

Spoiler

B7CjgSa.png

Saya's alright, I guess. She was really handy earlier on as a player-phase nuke against knights/cavaliers with Mani Katti, but now that that's broken, I'm struggling to find a use for her outside of the occasional killing of wyverns or dragons; 10 strength just doesn't cut it at this point of the game, unfortunately, and even earlier on she had a hard time getting kills without her special weapons. She's certainly better than Lyn - she doesn't die to a stiff breeze for one thing - but overall, she's not the best.

ZL6TKmc.png

To be honest, I never intended to use Zagarn as long as I did, and he's mostly still here just because I needed someone to offload all my bows onto. With that said, he's a very impressive Jagen. A tad fragile now, mind, but early on he served as a useful panic button whenever someone needed bailing out (which was a lot) without ever being too overpowering, and even now he's a decent combat unitĀ and probably my best way of dispatching wyverns.

cQhbx9H.png

Rostov is amazing, full stop. I'm not even sure there's much I can say about the guy that isn't shown by his stats; he's got boatloads of strength backed up by excellent speed and defense to tank hordes of enemies. If there's one bad thing I can say about him it's that his resistance is still in the gutter even after a Talisman (which wouldn't normally be that big an issue, but mages are kinda threatening in this hack if they appear in numbers), but that's nothing a Barrier staff can't fix, and in no way does it burden his overwhelming positive qualities.

ohbAiQt.png

He can't come close to matching his partner, but Grape is pretty decent, too. 22 speed on a paladin is a very nice thing to have indeed, and his middling strength can be offset by high-grade weaponry. His durability is rather low, though (it even took him a dracoshield to get up to 12 defense!), and honestly, despite his lopsided stats, I find him rather bland. Overall, solid but not setting the world on fire.

wahe1sb.png

Gim is... weird, to say the least. On one hand, his Speed is quite impressive (at least relative to what you'd expect from a Warrior) and he's decently durable, but his strength is abysmal for just about any unit at this point, let alone one in a class you'd expect to have high attack power. He pretty much has to rely on the Brave Axe to secure kills by himself now, with the exception of Wyverns/Knights which he can slay with the Dragon Axe and Hammer, respectively.

cZtTYON.png

Staffbot/10, moving on

Red2jjt.png

Amy's in a very similar mould as Grape, being a unit very heavily slanted in favor of Speed. I find her a bit more interesting than Grape, but that might be just due to my fem!hero bias as well as the fact that she's not overshadowed by those in the same class like he is. Still, though, there's not a whole lot to say about Amy; just a decent unit through and through

zBsXDpy.png

Another staffbot, but one that's generally a lot better than Helga, thanks especially to her higher movement and magic. Probably good enough to consider turning into a combat unit, but I don't really want to chance anything with that durability, nor do I have enough spare tomes to go around at the moment.

x9N6Ex1.png

Dancer/10. Surprisingly durable at times thanks to having high HP for a dancer, though you obviously shouldn't ever be relying on her to take hits. It's probably worth noting that I only got the boots last chapter, so I haven't benefited much from the extra 2 move as of yet.

CVNv99U.png

I learned how useful a tanky mage was from pumping Cia full of angelic robes in The Last Promise, and Sergei's no different. He was slightly hard to train at first because his Speed base is rather bad, but he quickly snowballed into an absolute monster of a combat unit - nearly as bulky as Rostov, and perhaps even more powerful because he hits Res and in general has much more consistent 1-2 range. His weak point is his Skill, but tomes are accurate enough compared to other 1-2 weapons that it has yet to be very major an issue.

4rtfuEg.png

Vince makes me feel as depressed as his portrait looks when I look at his stats. In all seriousness, his Speed is simply too low at this point to deal with the enemies he should thrive against - he doesn't get doubled, but he's not doubling himself either, and he's not nearly strong or bulky enough to make up for it. I'm not even sure why I'm still sticking by the guy honestly, given he's barely ever been self-sufficient; maybe I just feel bad for how sad he looks?

AKri5st.png

Lydia is kind of filler, honestly. On one hand, she undeniably looks (and is to an extent) badass, but on the other she's encroaching on Amy's territory a bit, being a hero with only adequate speed as opposed to Amy's superb. Now, I don't think there's anything wrong with doubling up on classes, given I've used Rostov and Grape this whole run (and entertained the thought of using Nikita as well as a Paladin who shows up in chapter 17) and also deployed Dorcas for a bit, but I don't feel like Lydia has a whole lot to make her stand out, which is kind of a shame.

Ā 

Edited by Kinshi
accidentally posted early

4 minutes ago, Kinshi said:

I figure I might as well show off my current team (in a spoiler tag for space reasons; there's nobody I'm using who hasn't been introduced in the LP)

Is it just me, or something has gone terribly wrong and the spoiler tag is empty?

51 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Is it just me, or something has gone terribly wrong and the spoiler tag is empty?

yeah I accidentally posted early, I'm editing the images/my commentary in right now

edit: I fixed it

Edited by Kinshi

• 1 month later...

I'm glad to see folks are keeping the thread on life support while life continues to destroy me lol.

We sort of had another incident with the end bit of Chapter 12, but fret not. Soon we'll be on to bigger and better things.

Chapter 12 Part 4: Forgotten Ambush

Spoiler

z524nFx.png?1

This update's a brief one, due to my own fuckup more than anything, but we'll get at least a little combat in there regardless.

Ā 

KpVcJTm.png?1

My strategy skills remain as sharp as ever.

Ā 

zG4aKdU.png?1

Before we get to all that flagrant arena abuse, let's check out these shops. There's two of each on the map, but both versions of each have identical stock so it's mostly to stop you from needing to go all the way back to the start for shopping.

Ā 

I6MpHc7.png?1S0uxuZs.png?1UYD1qoM.png?1

Here's the shops inventory...

Ā 

jYOUaVd.png?1dOMS0Ux.png?131177h5.png?1

And the armory's. I pick up:

Vulnerary x 5
Heal x 5
Mend x 3
Fire x 1
Thunder x 1
Light x 1
Shine x 1
Flux x 1
Javelin x 2
Hand Axe x 2
Steel Lance x 2
Steel Sword x 2
Iron Sword x 1

Ā 

6wKl5AK.png?14P4KwBt.png?1

Also, at one point I accidentally set off an ambush by moving a bit too close to the boss. This went on for several turns and had some surprisingly strong enemies, but I didn't record it because I forgot how long it was gonna drag on. Oops.

Ā 

9lxyOJh.png?1

This hero here was the toughest of the bunch, but even he eventually went down.

Ā 

Zl3ZvnP.png?1UsUCOGK.png?1oFEj90v.png?1

I've honestly forgotten this idiot's name, but I don't think it matters much anyway. He's got some decent stats, but he shouldn't be too hard.

Ā 

rpkArX5.png?1

Ultimately, Saya and Sergei take him down together.

Ā 

Of course, that was hardly the end of my time here. I spent some time grinding everyone up a bit in the arena, either to level 15 or up exactly 2 levels, whichever came first. Shall we see the end result?

Ā 

6CoS8Xk.png?1

Saya got off to a rough start, but with copious stat booster abuse and some levels under her belt, she's shaped up a bit. Still not fantasic from a pure numbers perspective, but her special swords help make up for it anyway.

Ā 

lw8r8L4.png?1

Grape's Strength and Defense are a little lacking for my taste, but his other stats are solid. Hopefully he'll patch up some of these issues.

Ā 

ZTsEth7.png?1

Jeff is... acceptable, but not really exceptional, good Strength aside. Still, he's good for now and he's still got some potential.

Ā 

TVYVa7S.png?1

Well, she's doing better than Elina, that's for damn sure. Faina's pretty much always got a place on the team by virtue of being a flier, but her stats are also decent enough in their own right aside from her low-ish Strength. That seems to be a recurring problem in Saya's army.

Ā 

lZzWsu7.png?1

Moving on.

Ā 

HhtMRMc.png?1

Unsurprisingly, Sandra kinda sucks. I didn't expect much of her, really, though at least she capped Speed and has decent Resistance. Maybe she can tank a Bolting hit or two in a pinch.

Ā 

Es1i1QW.png?1

Flomi's stats are pretty abysmal, honestly. Her utility as a mounted healer is what's keeping her relevant, but combat is clearly not in the cards.

Ā 

P0nGRbk.png?1

Toby knows what he wants, and what he wants is more beef. In an army as Strength-screwed as Saya's, that glowing green number is a welcome sight, though his other stats could be a lot better.

Ā 

HCif5n7.png?1

Lisette's got a surprisingly decent spread of stats, though her Defense is terrifyingly low. Still, I'm kinda impressed with the little staffbot.

Ā 

8U2gOHl.png?1

Amy's another pretty rounded unit, which from what people have told me is unusual yet in my experience has been pretty typical. If only the GBA games had lady mercs like this...

Ā 

WZJBI9j.png?1

I somehow didn't expect Sergei to have good Magic, but that's my fault for giving in to stereotypes. His other stats are a bit worryingly low, though compared to the other magic users we've seen his performance is positively divine.

Ā 

qC8YTn7.png?1

I guess Lev isn't too bad, but he feels kinda bland and unimpressive. I might promote him for that juicy crit bonus, since that could make up for his lacking performance, but I don't know how many promotion items the game's gonna fork over.

Ā 

JXNym4x.png?1

Erica's done well by normal unit standards, and brilliantly by GBA Archer standards. I know Archers aren't the most efficient units, but I like keeping one or two around.

Ā 

EuNAQIP.png?1

Speaking of, though, Yalakh's just not coming together like I'd hoped. He's still got some time before these stats become obsolete, but he needs to do better fast.

Ā 

thIojgI.png?1

Our new girl Trakina here is okay. Aside from her phenomenal Speed her stats are kinda middling, and she's gonna need a Body Ring to stay competitive, but she's probably gonna stick around, even if it's mostly for Luna.

Ā 

0AkflJs.png?1

As you saw above, Lisette's hit Level 20 and is ready to promote! Somehow I knew a healer would be the first promotion.

Ā 

fC9QDkc.png?1

She gets the FE6/FE8 female Bishop sprite. No goofy pigtails for you!

Ā 

mvOYay2.png?1

Not the world's most impressive promotion bonuses, but they'll do.

Ā 

4k1nh2Y.png?1

Our defenseless healer is defenseless no more! I probably won't have her engage too often just yet, to let other people level up first, but it's nice to have a Light Magic user on the team who doesn't have a shitty haircut.

Ā 

pukYwR6.png?1

Let's finally get out of Chapter 12 and see what the rest of the game's got in store.

Ā 

PUeFVxW.png?1

Saya has to explain to her local Jeigan why she chose to wait months and months to capture just one castle and spent most of that time gambling and pitfighting.

Ā 

nD69H16.png?1

Sure has been a while since we've seen this, huh?

If any of y'all are still around to read this, next Chapter (and every subsequent one) will be me playing the game truly blind, experiencing whatever nonsense the game comes up with as unexpectingly as you. Hopefully it won't take nearly two months.

Ā 

19 minutes ago, epilepsyduck said:

If any of y'all are still around to read this, next Chapter (and every subsequent one) will be me playing the game truly blind, experiencing whatever nonsense the game comes up with as unexpectingly as you.

Is it bad that Iā€™m anticipating much !FUN! from going blind into something like this?

17 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

Is it bad that Iā€™m anticipating much !FUN! from going blind into something like this?

Tbh so far there's been plenty of fun with a relative absence of "fun", but who knows? Maybe things will really ramp up soon.

Ā 

Chapter 13 starts off my now-blind run by making us actually blind. That's right, it's a FoW map! It's also got a sexy new recruit and a collection of inconveniently-placed chests for us.

Chapter 13 Part 1: Dark Castle of Light

Spoiler

EErInCS.png?1

Since we took out that one nomad boss, the Main Villain Dude is clearly not happy with us.

Ā 

SlGfj7L.png?1

Who cares about him though, we have more important people to talk to.

Ā 

J27Y8r3.png?1

I legit forgot who this was for a second, but hey, Renault is back! I bet everyone(?) was hoping we'd see him a second time(??).

Ā 

1nthSu9.png?1

Suddenly, a voice calls to us from offscreen.

Ā 

AJOUTiZ.png?1

It's a piratey dude! With a Cecilia-esque palette! Wonder if they're related.

Ā 

RgqkWBH.png?1

This convo goes on for a while, jaunty music playing the whole time...

Ā 

BXEBSoO.png?1

Then we're unceremoniously booted back to this screen.

Ā 

VGSKEqP.png?1

We'll be taking Rostov, Trakina, Jeff, Faina, Camilla, Sandra, Flomi, Toby, Lisette, Amy, Sergei, and Erica, as well as Saya and the new guy of course.

Ā 

S8ku9v9.png?1SH2for8.png?1

As you've no doubt spotted with your keen eyes and astute sense of reason, this is a Fog of War map, and a Defense map too! Not too worrisome despite all that, apart from these four chests. They're placed in such a way that it takes several turns to go from one to the next, meaning people who brought just one thief and no keys would have a rough time getting all of them open.

Ā 

cQSVV1M.png?18DvOa8z.png?1NBcbXND.png?1

That's why I've handed keys to the mounted units I'm bringing. Them, along with Sandra, will have the chests open before the chapter's even a third of the way through.

Ā 

dOf3jyQ.png?1

I guess we better check out our oddly-regal Pirate friend.

Ā 

VbxDecH.png?1KT8wfRj.png?1NSFdJ85.png?1

Forgot to nab his description, but oh well. He's not the most impressive fellow around. I'm sure he's a perfectly competent unit, mind, but I don't know if I've got room to train up a fourth axe boy. At least he gave us another key and a free Brave Axe.

Ā 

0EwwIy4.png?1

He'll be depositing that for now, though, and using a trusty Iron one instead.

Ā 

EHUOszh.png?1YcvabB8.png?1gyerdO2.png?1oH3HAoB.png?1

Our treasure hunters go there separate ways.

Ā 

DtHapXt.png?1

Flomi also uncovers a pair of Mercenaries hiding in the darkness.

Ā 

EZX4OYY.png?1

I'll take that, thanks.

Ā 

v4dhA2R.png?1

Our new Shaman friend has such overkill Speed that she doubles practically everything, bad Con or no. If only all Shamans were so enterprising.

Ā 

n3lWVt0.png?1v4zJ8rO.png?1

She takes a hit, but no worries. She's not in any danger this turn.

Ā 

flAu4UG.png?1

Everyone who isn't on some grand treasure trip clusters together in the central room.

Ā 

ipMoYba.png?1RbfVFsC.png?1

Enemies march in, but no combat.

Ā 

ShgYg7N.png?1

Flomi gets the first chest.

Ā 

4Qp4bR3.png?1

Nice siege tome. Hopefully Lisette will be able to use this some day.

Ā 

dPhAcE8.png?1

Rostov grabs this one in the corner.

Ā 

HtvoPyb.png?1

Y'know, for a castle shrouded in darkness, there's an awful lot of light-themed goodies in here.

Ā 

cXh8OB0.png?1

Sandra and Faina can't quite reach their chests, but they'll have them soon.

Ā 

b86SPXg.png?1

Trakina gets patched up after her little tussle. She's gonna need her HP soon.

Ā 

4FFB2bx.png?1

On enemy phase, this guy starts busting down a wall. It's got tons of health, though, so he'll be at it for a bit.

Ā 

w18xSq2.png?1

These mercs are getting dangerously close to Flomi. I'll have to deal with them.

Ā 

3Jga0GQ.png?1

Some monks join in from both entrances. Maybe they wanted that Purge tome for themselves.

Ā 

6jBO5EJ.png?1

Faina's ready to grab another neat toy.

Ā 

oZp8ucr.png?1

Well, we could always use more.

Ā 

t2y5uWM.png?1

Sandra falls a single space short of her goal. No pressure, though, since there's no danger here.

Ā 

Zqf9Otq.png?1

Flomi, on the other hand, is in quite a bit of danger, so I'd better clean that up before it becomes a problem.

Ā 

gPkObKo.png?1tGuPhQM.png?1

Done and done.

Ā 

bjhgzTN.png?1EwuSOdM.png?1

These enemies continue to pound away at the walls, this time from both sides.

Ā 

R3iJBWH.png?1BiNE47N.png?1

Otherwise it wasn't too worrisome a time.

Ā 

BeEnWQh.png?1

Not too worrisome a time.

Ā 

GinMIUb.png?1

Cavaliers have started appearing in the castle, equipped with annoying Javelins. Still not anything we can't handle, though.

Ā 

afxPBSa.png?1

Rostov kills a dude. He should be okay now.

Ā 

s3idXYP.png?1

Or so I thought, until I spotted these three lurking nearby.

Ā 

aa6TkSj.png?1

I'm antsy about his chances, so I'm gonna blow a use of Rescue to keep him safe.

Ā 

KS36Hwl.png?1

This might be the first time I've actually used a rare staff like this in any GBA FE.

Ā 

oQ7sBw2.png?13kHjLkP.png?1

Meanwhile, Sandra finds something a certain Shaman would love to have.

Ā 

z9fQMm8.png?1

As a reward for saving her helpless ass, Flomi patches up Amy.

Ā 

CO5iwjs.png?1Lps12vh.png?1

This should let us take out all these guys with minimal fuss.

Ā 

QvAkrYb.png?1

Or we can just miss and waste everyone's time, Amy. That's good too.

Ā 

6MkBgxj.png?1

The wall's down, but Sandra's still fine.

Ā 

9em8e5o.png?1

Less fine is Saya, who I've placed in range of the Monk.

mzZP8F9.png?1

Aren't you supposed to be a dodgetank?

Ā 

3V1m6Bv.png?1

Trakina is tickled by a Mage's fireball.

Ā 

p4TwBPa.png?1

She annihilates him in response.

Ā 

VGFs2YY.png?1WFpHMta.png?1

Ditto for this Archer. Her HP is getting kinda low, but I think she's fine for no-

Ā 

ISGYkkR.png?1

Goddamit.

Ā 

FlH53zf.png?1

Thankfully, he misses and she kills him in retaliation just like the others.

Ā 

H49blnm.png?1

Even Amy manages to dodge a Javelin.Ā  Take that Weapon Triangle.

Ā 

zoW1wmT.png?1

That's it for Chapter 13 so far, but we'll be back to see what else is hiding in the dark of the night.

Ā 

The night is dark and full of enemies!

The Cecilia-tinted pirate is called Tiger. The names chosen by the author of the hack areā€¦ interesting. Then again, tigers like to swim.

Edited by Vaximillian