Quick Conquest draft, anyone?

Alastor15243

I'm going to be stuck handing out candy for Halloween in an hour or so, so I was thinking to pass the time I might try out one of these drafts I've seen people doing.

So I'm looking for two other people interested in taking part in this.

Since I want this to be set up quickly, let's keep it simple. Only a few common rules, everything else you can decide on your own later:

1: We play Conquest.

2: The Avatar, Gunter, and all of the neutral units (Jakob, Felicia, Silas, Kaze, Azura, Mozu, Shura, Izana) are free.

3: The children are not draft options, they're automatically allowed as long as both of their parents are among your picks.

4: We each take turns picking from the 17 remaining Nohr route characters until we each have 5.

5: Picking order is determined by who volunteers first.

Any takers?

Edited by Alastor15243

No Camilla/mounted Jakob and Corrin ban? Chapter 10 might also require one or two free units.

In any case, I'd like to join.

Any other rules are yours to decide, I just want to get the actual unit drafting out of the way. If you want to ban those things on your end, go right ahead.

As for chapter 10, fair point, that chapter can get pretty ridiculous without a large number of units. Free units might be a good idea there.

Edited by Alastor15243

Alright, I'm assuming this qualifies as a "project" under the double posting rules, I came up with a potential update to the rules:

What if we replace the same-sex servant with Niles on the free unit list? That way the early game doesn't have a ton of mandatory chest skipping, we all get an early free unit to give a helping hand in chapter 10, and capture system isn't rendered meaningless for all but one of us so if it's absolutely necessary we can capture units to aid us in chapter 10.

How does that sound?

Also, again, one spot left!

Alright! As for order, as I said, posting order determines who gets first pick, but since I didn't want to abuse my topic starting to automatically declare myself first, I decided that I would count up the vowels in the other two posters' usernames to decide if I go first or last. Odd, I go first, even, I go last, Y included as a vowel.

Cyas: YA, 2

Hylian Air Force: YIA AI OE, 7.

9, that means I go first, then Cyas, then Hylian Air Force. But first, Cyas, what do you think of my rule change suggestion?

Edited by Alastor15243

Alright, I'm assuming this qualifies as a "project" under the double posting rules, I came up with a potential update to the rules:

What if we replace the same-sex servant with Niles on the free unit list? That way the early game doesn't have a ton of mandatory chest skipping, we all get an early free unit to give a helping hand in chapter 10, and capture system isn't rendered meaningless for all but one of us so if it's absolutely necessary we can capture units to aid us in chapter 10.

How does that sound?

Replace Silas instead, Jakob is the early utility unit everyone should have whereas Silas is just one of your growth units. (not that I see the need to make that many free anyway, it's weird given the idea behind drafts)

Edited by Gradivus.

How does that sound?

IIRC, you would only "lose" the Rescue, Enfeeble and Spirit Dust. Azura starts with a Chest Key and I believe there's a droppable in C9 too so the only must get item can be acquired without Niles. Spirit Dust and Enfeeble don't warrant free Niles and nobody would normally get the Enfeeble in a quick clear anyway.

The second part sounds nice but I think employing free units for chapter 10 is a more elegant solution. That way you don't have to wait for the captured units to join/burn resources on them and there's nothing inherently wrong with having free units for a chapter. But my biggest gripe is that allowing Capture completely devalues picks like Charlotte or Peri or Benny. Their niche is to provide good pair-up boosts/be a Shelter bot/give +1 Mov and they're rendered irrelevant by having Niles as a free unit with capture allowed.

That's at least assuming we play for turns. If not then allowing capture is fine but I still don't think Niles should be free.

Edit: And the rule might kill Shura as a unit.

Edited by Cyas

IIRC, you would only "lose" the Rescue, Enfeeble and Spirit Dust. Azura starts with a Chest Key and I believe there's a droppable in C9 too so the only must get item can be acquired without Niles. Spirit Dust and Enfeeble don't warrant free Niles and nobody would normally get the Enfeeble in a quick clear anyway.

The second part sounds nice but I think employing free units for chapter 10 is a more elegant solution. That way you don't have to wait for the captured units to join/burn resources on them and there's nothing inherently wrong with having free units for a chapter. But my biggest gripe is that allowing Capture completely devalues picks like Charlotte or Peri or Benny. Their niche is to provide good pair-up boosts/be a Shelter bot/give +1 Mov and they're rendered irrelevant by having Niles as a free unit with capture allowed.

That's at least assuming we play for turns. If not then allowing capture is fine but I still don't think Niles should be free.

Fair point. Alright then, original plan.

My first pick: Keaton.

I said Jakob but technically meant C2 servant. Forgot about Felicia because she's Felicia.

As said in my edit, I don't think it makes sense to have so many free units. Idk why Kaze and Silas should be free (b/c they can be recruited in Birthright? it seems odd, to say the least), if you ask me just C2 servant free and everything else goes into the drafting pool.

Edited by Gradivus.

Are we using Branch of Fate for this? If so, how do I unlock Classic for it? Also, does Before Awakening count against our turn count if we are doing a competitive draft?

Branch of fate or a draftless run of the prologue chapters, whichever you prefer. Anyway I'm pretty sure branch of fate uses your last file's rules or something, because all of my branch of fate files are classic.

As for the other rules, aside from the units drafted you can do what you like, this isn't a strict, official or competitive thing, I just wanted to spice up my next playthrough.

As said in my edit, I don't think it makes sense to have so many free units. Idk why Kaze and Silas should be free (b/c they can be recruited in Birthright? it seems odd, to say the least), if you ask me just C2 servant free and everything else goes into the drafting pool.

To be honest this is my first draft and considering the low unit pool in Conquest compared to other games I didn't want to make it too restrictive.

Edited by Alastor15243

Branch of fate or a draftless run of the prologue chapters, whichever you prefer. Anyway I'm pretty sure branch of fate uses your last file's rules or something, because all of my branch of fate files are classic.

As for the other rules, aside from the units drafted you can do what you like, this isn't a strict, official or competitive thing, I just wanted to spice up my next playthrough.

Oh, okay. That really opens up some things.

I'll just ban Camilla for myself and assume "paralogues except 1 are free up to 20 turns", under those circumstances:

Arthur+Percy

It's true that a lot of units are free but I don't mind at all. This seems like a more casual draft, which is good because I've no experience with low turning CQ anyway (and very little in general).

Niles+Nina

By the way, what is everybody's stance on:

-Visiting other castles for ore and DV

-Forging

-Mess Hall

-Lottery

-Lilith's temple

The first three points seem fine to me (ore can be gotten through using the Arena so getting them online just saves time; though I'm a bit skeptic about DV) but the last 2 break the limited resources concept a bit.