Dragon Quest VIII 3DS

Konnor97

4 hours ago, Reality said:

Does Jessica with skill points into whips still have that balancing problem where twin dragon lash will outdamage any possible magic skill, and also all the physical characters other than Hero?

It got hit hard with the nerfhammer

So no.

I still need to beat VII before I pick this one up.  Pokemon Sun put it on the back burner for me, so I need to get back to it.

I had it for PS2, so I'll have to see what they've added, if anything.

5 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I still need to beat VII before I pick this one up.  Pokemon Sun put it on the back burner for me, so I need to get back to it.

I had it for PS2, so I'll have to see what they've added, if anything.

A lot was added, actually, extra story content and bosses, namely, as well as some balance fixes.  Personally prefer it over the PS2 version, the graphics aren't even that big of a loss, they honestly look fine.

You can grind Seeds of Skill off a post game boss. @Dai

Also, I love the camera in this game.  Spinning it around lets you force the game to unload an overworld enemy that's a short distance away, which is REALLY useful when hunting Metal Slimes/Liquid Metal Slimes/Metal King Slimes.

Started playing Dragon Quest VIII. I once again remembered why I love those games so damn much.

Imo, Twin Dragon Lash is rather useful when hunting for Metal Slimes/Liquid Metal Slimes, I never played the PS2 version, so I don't really know if it was broken or not, but it served me rather well so far as a Metal killing skill.
Most of the time, Jessica have a staff., since she is a mage and all.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm 13 hours in and really enjoying this game! I really love the voice acting and find it adds quite a bit of depth to the characterization.

The camera function is more fun that I'd anticipated - I've been having a lot of fun trying to complete the challenges. It helps that the majority of challenges are fairly easy, so I don't get frustrated trying to fulfill them all.

Although I've never felt compelled to join a community for the DQ games, and although I rate many games more highly, I think DQ games have packed the most emotional punches for me. They're the only games to have made me cry.

Edited by Res

Yeah, I've been enjoying the camera sidequest a lot more than I thought I would! It's fun exploring the world and taking snapshots.

Anyway, I've been enjoying DQ VIII so much. Right now I'm in 

Spoiler

Orkutsk.

It's been years since I last played it on the PS2, so maaybe it's a little bit of nostalgia talking, but I think it could rank up there as one of my favorite games now. But it's definitely nice that I'm able to play it again after so long...

On 11/3/2016 at 1:12 PM, The DanMan said:

I'm halfway interested in the series, but I'm not sure whether a decent story can make up for old-school by-the-books turn-based RPG gameplay. Not a dig at anybody who likes the series, just my dilemma. That and I find Toriyama's monster designs ugly.

I find Toriyama's designs really, really ugly in general. Usually aesthetics is a big deal to me - I really like having good-looking characters. However, I'm happy to make an exception for the DQ series. In fact with each game I play (I've now played 4-9) it grows closer to becoming my all-time favourite game series. I do think it's worth checking out at least one game. 

• 1 month later...

So, I'm almost at the true ending, but before that, I want to finish all the secondary quests. The photo quests, I enjoyed them a lot... until 138-142.
Whoever designed 138 to 142 is either a monster or mad in the head, who the hell honestly though it's a good idea to put those quests in the game ?
The 'defeat 30 x monsters then take a pic of that one monster who appear I dunno where' were bad enough, but this ? This ?
This is pure bullcrap. Each time you go outside, there is 0,01% chance that Stella appears in those five places, if not, too bad. What's more, she can appears in place you already visited, making literally hours of your time, pointless.

Sigh
I really enjoyed the 3DS bosses though, they really want you to go all out.
... The Rank X arena though, they crit like hell, my poor golems can't do crap again't them.