First time playing, advice please

I recommend trying to get the Ilia route for your first time, I ended up going the Sacae route my first time and I regretted it because of the Gaiden chapter. Since you didn't say what level promoted Sue,Thany and Tate are going by what you said it sounds like you are headed to the Ilia route unless you have Sue at a really high level.

Edited by EricaofRenais

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Milady is awesome, Roy is not that good.

Milady is amazing! And you may not believe it, but she can get even better, give her the Delphi shield and oh my god!

Also Roy is fantastic! He just... promotes really late. But even before he promotes he dodges like, everything, and once he's leveled up a bit he's got a great hit too!

Plus, if you get the true ending then there's more chances to level him up post-promote. And if you give him enough love and care you can get him to be a level 20 promote no problem!

... In case you haven't noticed I love Roy.

But no in all seriousness, he is good... he just... takes forever to promote...

^ Yeah, Milady has turned out to be amazing for me, she just kind of sucked when she first came.

Also, yes, Roy is a good unit. The only problem is that it's easy to level him up to 20/20, till like, chapter 11 or something. And it's also easy to just move him around while everyone else slaughter the enemies. So, it's kind of hard to actually give him an exact role in the party, as a fighter or needed backup.

And as many have said, I'll be going for the Ilia route. Sue is at level 1 promoted by the way, while the two promoted pegasus knights are higher that level 3. So it's pretty obvious I'll be going for the Ilia route.

^ Yeah, Milady has turned out to be amazing for me, she just kind of sucked when she first came.

Also, yes, Roy is a good unit. The only problem is that it's easy to level him up to 20/20, till like, chapter 11 or something. And it's also easy to just move him around while everyone else slaughter the enemies. So, it's kind of hard to actually give him an exact role in the party, as a fighter or needed backup.

And as many have said, I'll be going for the Ilia route. Sue is at level 1 promoted by the way, while the two promoted pegasus knights are higher that level 3. So it's pretty obvious I'll be going for the Ilia route.

Milday's sucked at first because it's impossible to level her up in her recruitment chapter without her dying, and then the chapter right after is a fog of war with a lot of mages so... it's tough... I actually arena abused in her first chapter to get her to level 20... I promote her at the start of the next chapter....

I usually try to use Roy as much as I can as soon as he promotes, I want him to be as strong as can be. So I got him from level 1 to level 11 just in Chapter 22.

Also were we suppose to talk about the route that we chose too? Oopse... I like to go with Barte because he's in Blazing Sword, and the Sacae route because... well Blazing Sword. Yes, I am so original.

Also were we suppose to talk about the route that we chose too? Oopse... I like to go with Barte because he's in Blazing Sword, and the Sacae route because... well Blazing Sword. Yes, I am so original.

Nah, not really, but it's okay if you want to.

EDIT, A MAJOR ONE:

Welp, took a break and am now back.

Here's the progress report:

Ch15: this one was pretty easy. Was able to recruit Percival easily, and saved his cavaliers too. Also saved all villages in time before Garret and the bandits destroyed them. Recruited Garret as well.

Garret: Haven't used him much, but he seems okay. He at least hits with a Hand axe and also often does criticals.

Percival: He's a good Paladin, and for a prepromote is very good, with really good stats.

Ch16: Oh boy was this chapter a disaster. Units are split into two teams. First team goes through the main entrance of the castle and second team goes through another entrance. First team did fine, but second team was confronted with Bolting, Purge, Hugh, a Manakate, and freaking Douglas. Second team had to retreat because Douglas wanted to fight them so badly. And he has to be alive by the end of the chapter in order to recruit him, and to go to the next gaiden chapter. Then there was Hugh who can only be recruited by Roy, using money(which wasn't a problem thanks to arena). However Hugh followed behind Douglas, who followed team 2, so it was hard to recruit him. At least Zeiss was easy to recruit. And Narshen wasn't hard of a boss.

Douglas: still hasn't engaged in any battle

Hugh: He's an okay mage, and was at level 15 so it was easy to get him to 20. He's pretty much a backup mage if Lugh or Lilina turned out bad.

Zeiss: So far average level ups, and he's average himself.

Ch16x: Another easy level. The holy arrows were not much of a problem.

And before I forget:

Igrene: A really amazing sniper that's also beautiful. She's done pretty good so far so I will keep using her.

Cecilia: She's just...okay,really. She can heal so she's good.

Fa: Do I even need to say how awesome she and her level ups are?

Sophia: Currently, she has improved herself. She can now hit, sometimes double, and even dodge enemies. Not good as most other units are tho.

Here's a question. Should I use Garret?

Also I got the Illia route. Any advice for the next snowy chapters?

Edited by Flee Fleet!

• 2 weeks later...

Percival: He's a good Paladin, and for a prepromote is very good, with really good stats.

In other words, par for the course, as far as prepromotes go.

Fae: Do I even need to say how awesome she and her level ups are?

Assuming that you're trying to get every legendary in the game, you should have saved her for later man.

Welp man you've officially surpassed the farthest point I managed to reach. It's all greek to me from here on out, so good luck!

Thanks! I'm actually in ch19 now, so the end is really near.

Also, I got busy with school stuff, but here- a progress report:

My previous edited post wasn't detailed much( I was typing on cellphone, and it's hard), especially on the characters, I guess.

Anyways, about the characters:

Cecilia: pretty average. It's like she was made to staffbot, I guess, but she ain't bad with an Aircalibur in hands

Sophia: Decided to give her a go....and well... She has the highest defense in the team. Unsurprising. But her stats aren't that far from Raigh, except Skill. Also she still has her hitting problems but it's significantly less now. Still, I wish she was like Gonzales who, despite his low skill, is very fast and with a few level ups actually starts to ORKO enemies. Alas, Sophia is too weak to begin with anyways...

Igrene: FINALLY, a bow user- not on a mount- that is actually very good AND has very well rounded stats, including Res. I mean, seriously, I promoted Wolt and Dorothy and even those two have some lacking stats. Glad to have her.

Douglas: Meh, hasn't engaged battle nor will he ever. His stats are not much, anyways. Igrene has more than that, and she's also a useful class as well.

Hugh: Lilina was more about offense,Lugh was more about speed, and Hugh is like in between them. Hugh's not bad, really. He also came at level 15 so it was easy to get him to 20 and promote him to 20, which I did. I also like his potrait. A lot.

Fa: An example of how kid dragons rock, especially when they have seriously better level ups than the rest of the whole army. And how full blooded dragons are the real deal whereas half blood dragons are just really meh( yeah I'm talking about Sophia)

Zeiss: He was pretty average at first, but then he started to gain good level ups and now he's actually pretty good

Also, I've promoted Lugh, Hugh, Lilina, Sophia, Raigh, Dieck, Dorothy and Wolt, Alan and Lance, Sue and Shin, the flying units and Geese and Gonzales.

Ch17(Illia route btw): An easy chapter. Apparently a sand bed forms so going north in the map is a better option. There's also the arena so yay!

Ch18: Also fairly easy chapter. I just lost a village, but still, no problem. And the river also froze at a certain point, which is cool.

Ch19: This one REALLY wanted to be a difficult chapter, but still failed at many places. First of all, the ballistae were the only major threat- and they actually did kill some units, so I had to reset the game. It's also a FoW map, so I could only check the ballistae's range when I could see them. These were the difficult thing in the chapter. Almost everything else was easy. Getting to the village was easy as the brigands came really late. Also Pegasus reinforcements came, but they barely did anything(and I was near the boss anyway). As for the boss, Sigune, it would've been better to have her as a moving boss. Cuz she otherwise sucks. By the way, I got a new character, Niime.

Niime: An old lady. That's pretty good. Perfect staffbot and not bad at attacking. Alas, she's at level 18, so only two level ups for her...

Ok, now a question, what should I be aware about in the next chapter?

Just call me AL, on 16 Dec 2016 - 05:58 AM, said:

In other words, par for the course, as far as prepromotes go.

Assuming that you're trying to get every legendary in the game, you should have saved her for later man.

Yeah.Although Igrene is much better, for me at least.

I don't get what you mean about Fa?

I don't get what you mean about Fa?

Fae only has 30 uses before she becomes useless. There's also the part where the second to last chapter has nothing but Manaketes.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

^Oh, I get it.

I'm using Fa sparingly, and currently her divine stone has 23 uses,iirc.

I guess I'll use her for the last two chapters, and give her an angelic robe as well.

Oh, I completely missed your edit last week.

Character assessments seem accurate (Zeiss, btw, is the unit with the highest HM bonuses in the game. Last time I played, he joined with capped strength :D). Fa's dragonstone should have sufficient uses as long as you make sure she kills everything she fights. She is really accurate, making her a good choice to finish off bosses as soon as she got a few levels under her belt.

Chapter 20 isn't terribly hard, but it does have two ballistae that you cannot disarm without wasting a Warp each. (one of the archers has a Elysian Whip to steal, but idk if it's worth the warp) Also a few status staves, but that shouldn't be new to you by now. ;)

I found it very helpful to use the Rescue staff on Yuno to recruit her without opening the cell. The prisoners are pretty much safe in the cell (unless there's a longbow nearby that I don't remember), but if you open the door, they will try to escape and get into awkward positions and run into reinforcements.

Don't forget that you're on a timer - it's rather generous, but you don't have all day to Arena Abuse.

The upcoming gaiden has a lot of XP for you to collect. Some of the warriors have a very high level (without being particularly scary). Once again, it has status staves, although I'm not sure how far their range is on normal difficulty.

You have two isolated groups of three units each that don't really help you. As long as you have some spare Restore users to accompany them, they can grab some XP, otherwise you might want to go with Roy plus the unit slots directly around him.

All in all, it's a very easy (and imho rather boring) map.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh....took too long but whatever.

Here is the progress report:

Ch20: Oh sure, have an arena in a chapter where there's a turn limit in getting to a gaiden chapter. I think we can all agree that arenas are either used to get units to 20/20 or staffbotting for healers so they can get to 20/20. Doesn't help the arena is far away AND reinforcements spawn near there. Anyways, this chapter was difficult. First I rescued Yuno using the Rescue Staff, gave her some weapons and there she goes to start fighting.

Yuno: I only used her for this chapter. She doesn't have bad stats, although she is low on Strength and Defense. She also didn't against an archer, of all people, but she at least dodges most of the time.

Anyways, this chapter was hard. I blame those impossible to reach without Warp ballistaes and those two Bishops with Purge. I had to restart the chapter a lot of times. Of course, that Druid with the Berserk Staff should not be forgotten, who used it on Rutger, Lugh and Noah. Glad that Dieck was near Roy to save him.

Ch20x: Eh, a meh chapter. My only concern was the Sleep Staff and Berserk Staff Druids. Berserk was used on Niime and Clarine, both who had a restore to prevent other units going bonkers. Didn't help one was at northwest of the map, while the other was on the opposite side. Of course my Cecilia and Saul couldn't reach them to restore them! At least no one died, and Fir was the only one getting Sleep status.

Ch21: OH MY GOD this chapter is the hardest one in the game so far! Wyverns were everywhere. They came from everywhere. They showed no mercy. Suprisingly, no one died in this chapter. Only Jodel was near to death, but Saul was there to help. A mistake I made in this chapter was spliting up the party, but at least they still handled the dangers. Another mistake I made was depending on Percival too much; I should've trained him a bit more if he was going to do some battle in this chapter. Ah well...

Also I feel bad for killing Murdock and Gale. Especially Gale.

Ch21x: A FoW chapter where almost everyone has a thief's vision. I'm not even joking- I didn't even need a torch in this chapter for everyone could pretty much see in the fog like a thief. Also, this chapter was rather easy. Even the traps were not that threatening, and the boss was lame. At least I got some good level ups.

Also hey I got the Sword Of Seals! And Roy promoted, but still looks the same- wait what? Why does Roy look exactly the same as before. His stats just grew, he has a new map sprite, but his battle sprite is the same! He just wields a larger looking sword now. I mean, there might be a few more changes, but really, I was expecting more from Roy.

Oh, by the way, the next chapter I'm going to fight Zephiel. Cool! Which is why I wanted to know whether these units will be best to use in this chapter (they are also all promoted):

Wendy,Thany, Sue and Shin, Raigh, Lugh and Hugh, Igrene, Dorothy , Alan and Lance, Clarine, Ellen, Geese, Rutger.

Stat-wise, they're very good, and each have at least one skill in the 20s (excpet Hugh, but he has blanced stats and a support with Lugh).

I would have included Milady and Zeiss, but they have been used in the previous chapters, so yeah, they're taking a break.

Your team sounds fine, just take a double check of the map before you start so that you have optimum unit placement and have at it.

Edited by EricaofRenais

^ Yeah, I'll do that. I've already decided that Shin and Sue will be together due to having A support. Same with Alance, and Hugh and Lugh.

One healer will be one side, and another one on the other side. Same with the snipers.

If a character did well up until now, they will do just fine until the end of the game. Chapter 23 will probably want a flyer with the Delphi Shield and for Chapter 24 you'll want to make sure to have as many different S-weapon ranks in your line-up as possible, but other than that it's just about the stats (and supports, if you grinded some).

Little warning about Zephiel's map: When you open the throne room, reinforcements will spawn from the stairs inside every three turns until turn 50 or so. You can either play the waiting game or try to push in and block them from spawning. Zephiel himself is quite resilient, mostly because he has a unique class that doesn't get completely annihilated by {insert sword user} with an armorslayer. Good luck!

^ I played the waiting game! And it wasn't so bad. Although the surprise!manakate almost killed some units, and that sucks.

Anyways, progress report:

Ch22: With two teams, I got through this map easily. Got all the chests, let Roy get some level ups (he had the greatest one so far: all stats increased except for con). All in all it was pretty sweet. I got to the throne room and killed Zephiel too, with Roy himself. However, it sucks that you get ZERO exp by beating him. I guess he is the last boss, if all the Divine Weapons aren't found, so I can see why there was no EXP after beating him...but still...

Ch23: Well well well, so we fight Brunnya now. She's like Ishtar, except she's only loyal to Zephiel. But she is a mage, with Bolting (but she only hit Wendy once with it: she missed with it the rest of the time). Anyways, this chapter has dragons and annoying three Ballistaes, but I finished them off. I also used the Hammerne and Warp in this chapter. I was able to make Ellen reach an S rank in Light by boss abuse, and made Roy get some extra level ups. I also got Karel!

Karel: Dude is in the village, and can be recruited. But only if Fir or Bartre visit the village. Since I had Fir, I made her visit. So Karel joins with really good stats, since he is the last character to be recruited, and he's level 19. Now, I decided to check his growth rates on the FE wiki, and wow, all of them are in the HUNDREDS. That...kinda...sucks, cuz I would rather have given him tons more level ups just to make him a beast. Either way, he has a Wo Dao, so that's cool.

Now, for the next chapter, I have to carefully choose the good characters, since they will be also used in the last chapter. And I can only take 8 characters, all of whom should have an S rank of their class, and must use a Divine weapon. Which means all these characters will of different classes...(so game is basically trying to tell that my Sue and Shin supports, and other supports like that, were completely useless? Cuz, y'know, most of the units I have to choose don't even have supports with different class characters. Great job, game, great job).

Anyways, I wanted some advice from you guys on which characters I should take with me. I've already decided a few:

Lilina:

http://imgur.com/a/JGkaT

High mag and an A support with Roy is good enough, considering the fact Lugh has low mag and Hugh doesn't even have a stat present in the 20s. Therefore, she gets Forblaze.

Gonzalez:

http://imgur.com/vBgu5Qa

His Speed and Strength are really high compared to Geese. So yeah, he gets Armads. I might give him a Secret Book to increase his skill a little more, but I don't think it's necessary.

Raigh:

http://imgur.com/a/YE70l

Yeah, the Sorcerers in this game are not great. Sophia is just bad even after she promotes, and her res is just the only high stat. Niime is the better one compared to the other two, but even her stats are that amazing. She doesn't have an S rank in Dark magic anyways. So yeah, Raigh it is, who has an S rank and can at least staff bot. He gets Apocalypse.

Ellen:

http://imgur.com/a/UClhO

Ellen gets the win compared to Saul. She capped her Luck and Res and is already Level 20. She also got an S rank in Light Magic, so yeah, she gets Aureola.

Rutger:

http://imgur.com/a/ayCT4

He has better stats compared to Fir, and more room for development compared to Karel. He has an S rank in swords, so he gets Durandal.

Now, I just need to choose the units who will use Murgleis and Malte:

Malte:

Milady: http://imgur.com/E1ysOmj Wendy: http://imgur.com/5y0UZxv

Milady has capped Skill and Strength, and she's on a Wyvern, so she 8 movement. However her Luck is quite low. Meanwhile Wendy has quite nice stats, all in the 20s except Res, and has capped Speed. She also got Boots, so she has 7 move, and has capped speed. I'm kind of leaning towards Wendy...but I'll wait to see what opinion you all have on which character I should use.

Murgleis:

Sue: http://imgur.com/a/A9fTJ Shin: http://imgur.com/a/mAdLV

There's not much of a difference between them. Sue has more Speed and Luck, as well as Res and Def. Shin has higher Skill and he has capped Strength. It's either him or her- who do you guys suggest?

Clarine is also coming along, and will use Holy Maiden. I didn't put a link of an image of her stats, as she will work as a healer mostly. But she has really high Skill, Speed and Luck, but low mag.

Anyways, I hope this last chapter goes great!

Edited by Flee Fleet!

Are you planning to do a HM run of this game next?

If so, be warned - there's quite a difficulty spike between NM and HM, easily the biggest in all FE games before FE11 and a lot of the things that worked out well are going to be either impossible [making use of Wendy], very difficult [making use of Lilina] or take a lot of time more effectively spent elsewhere [using Lugh and Raigh over other units].

I'm going to say Shin and Wendy. I'd have picked Miredy if you hadn't given Wendy boots already, but I think Wendy will be good for tanking the dragons.

Shin is mostly because he has higher strength and his speed will be fine for doubling the endgame. The dragons shouldn't be attacking him anyway, so he should be fine too.

I can't belive I'm saying this, but Wendy seems like the better choice here. :D Flight isn't really worth anything in the final map (although moving after rescueing is) and I actually like Wendy's high Luck. The Manakete in the final chapter have 14 crit, so Milady would constantly face low death chances.

For the same reason, I'd pick Sue over Shin. The additional strength should be completely overkill because if my maths doesn't fail me Sue will easily one-round all the manakete as well. And her higher luck will prevent some random crit if you screw up her placement at some point.

About the chapter: It's easy, really. The legendary weapons allow you to one-round basically everything and since Manakete have only 5 movement and 1 attack range, it's possible to wait just outside of their range and then swoop in and take at least one kill. For example, your Lilina should be able to survive one hit, so you could even have her run in, kill one manakete on player phase and a second one in the enemy phase. =)

The one thing you have to look out for: As you'll progress through the rooms, reinforcements will spawn in the previous room. It's possible to just outrun them, although it'll be tougher for you because you don't have that many mounted units, or you can put them to sleep, but as long as you keep your troops together, you might as well just murder them.

If you need advice for the final final boss, I will wonder how the fuck you managed to get this far. :D

Are you planning to do a HM run of this game next?

Maybe, maybe not. I don't usually do HM runs, but maybe after playing some more games, I might return to this game and play HM.

If you need advice for the final final boss, I will wonder how the fuck you managed to get this far. :D

Okay, this line made me chuckle lol. Besides, I do know most stuff about the final final boss: they move and don't have a 2 ranged attack. I also know that I have to kill her with the Sealed Sword for a special ending. Although I would want to know whether there are more manaketes in the final final boss room, or random enemies of different classes. Would it also be beneficial if I took a Restore staff with me?

Okay, Wendy gets Malte.

For Murgleis, I think I'll be taking Sue. Besides Strength and Skill, almost all other stats are higher than Shin's. Even skill is just two points lower, and if I have an Energy Ring, I'll give it to Sue (or even Raigh, I guess).

Although I would want to know whether there are more manaketes in the final final boss room, or random enemies of different classes. Would it also be beneficial if I took a Restore staff with me?

There are some manakete, but if you have any warp charges left, you might be able to ignore them and just go straight for the boss on turn one. It's possible to get to her on the first turn by foot, too, but you'd have to take Lalum with you (and unless you gave her some boots, put her on the 6th or 7th unit slot in chapter 24 because you can't reposition before the final fight). For extra hilarity, try to get Roy to at least 16 Str and 20 Spd.

Restore is completely useless for the rest of the game - and so is Ellen's capped resistance, by the way. It's all dragons from now on.

Edited by ping

^ Well, I can take on some Manakete, so I guess I won't be using Warp. But I'll have Clarine carry it, just in case.

And knowing that Restore is completely useless now is a relief; I had only five uses left with the only one I had!

As for Ellen's capped Res, I figured it would be useless. But at least she has high Mag, and has capped Luck, so she'll do fine.

I'm not going to be taking Lalum with me, so yeah, I won't be able to reach the final final boss in the first turn. That's okay though.

Anyways, I'm going to start the chapter soon, so wish me luck guys!

Sorry for making a double post, but I assume the OP of a topic is allowed to do so. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyways...

I finished game! Woohoo! I really loved those last chapters, but first of all:

I just noticed why the game made you choose such limited characters for the last two chapters, especially when two of them are forced to participate. Choosing the 8 characters for these maps was basically choosing the new Eight Legends/ Heroes. However Eckesachs was the only Divine Weapon the was unusable, but since Hartmut wielded the Sword of Seals, I guess Roy can be considered the new Hartmut.

Now, for the last progress report:

Ch24: I really liked this map. It explained everything about the Dark Dragon, and the Ending Winter. Meanwhile, Roy had to sit on fake thrones in order to proceed to the next level. The only enemies in this map were Manaketes, so it took at least two units to kill one (if I didn't had a Divine Weapon equipped that is). I also gave Fa kills, in every chamber of this map. Easily reached level 20, with high stats and still left with 13 uses of her Divine Stone. I also gave her some stat boost and Boots. I was kind of disappointed, however, that the boss of this chapter, Yahn, had the sam battle sprite like the other manaketes, just with higher stats. Ah well...that guy was still cool. I was also disappointed at the fact that the non magical divine weapons had the same simple animation like all the other weapons, but at least the magical divine weapons were cool, especially Aureola.

The Final Chapter: This is literally the only chapter I had finished in the least turns (20 turns that is). It is a short map anyways, with just two manaketes and the final boss, Idoun. However reinforcements did spawn, but they weren't much trouble. Idoun herself can move, but she has like 2 movement, and she was very easy to defeat. Like really. In fact, Fa ORKO'ed her with a critical (had to rest because of this for Roy to defeat her). Idoun also suffers from the fact that she has no 2 ranged attack, so Roy easily defeated her with the Sword of Seals. Ah well, at least they should've given her 4 or 5 movement to make her difficult....and more HP than Yahn!

Anyways, I really liked the ending. Like seriously it was satisfying! And I feel happy for Idoun's ending. I also got a B rank in this game, which is cool!

However, I wish they showed all the full endings of the characters, as only the units chosen in the final chapter had a detailed ending, compared to the rest who had like one line about their ending. Ah well, I beat the game, and that's the good part.

Also, the names of the characters that were the most useful:

Lugh, Hugh, Lilina, Raigh, Milady, Zeiss, Wendy, Oujay, Alan and Lance, Sue and Shin, Clarine and Rutger, Fir, Gonzales, Geese, Igrene, Ellen and Saul, Fa(obviously), Cath and Thany and Tate.

So yeah, thanks to everyone for helping me out with this game! I might do the trial maps, or play Hard Mode, but who knows. But either way, I guess this topic can be locked or be used by someone else.

Edited by Flee Fleet!

Congratulations!

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of Jahn's chapter because it gets rather repetitive after a while. I do like Jahn's explanations, although I also wonder if he is really telling the truth. He seems to be in denial when Roy tells him about Arcadia, even though Fae is present as a living proof.

Idoun being a total pushover ties in rather well with the story. After all, she wasn't created (or made into) a terrifying war dragon. All she was supposed to do was to create an endless stream of dragons, so Idoun herself not being a fighter makes sense. I can understand if people are disappointed by her from a gameplay perspective, though. ;) Roy can literally one-round her with 16 strength and 20 speed thanks to her vulnerability to the Binding Blade, making it probably the easiest final boss in the series.