First time playing, advice please

Congratulations!

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of Jahn's chapter because it gets rather repetitive after a while. I do like Jahn's explanations, although I also wonder if he is really telling the truth. He seems to be in denial when Roy tells him about Arcadia, even though Fae is present as a living proof.

Idoun being a total pushover ties in rather well with the story. After all, she wasn't created (or made into) a terrifying war dragon. All she was supposed to do was to create an endless stream of dragons, so Idoun herself not being a fighter makes sense. I can understand if people are disappointed by her from a gameplay perspective, though. ;) Roy can literally one-round her with 16 strength and 20 speed thanks to her vulnerability to the Binding Blade, making it probably the easiest final boss in the series.

I'm pretty sure Jahn is telling the truth though, seeing as how he's emotionless. Besides, he doesn't really have a reason to lie. As for the chapter, yeah it was repetitive. However, I was more focused on leveling up my characters. I even got a B support between Rutger and Clarine, which is cool.

Oh, and I also got Roy to have more than 20 speed and 16 strength, so no wonder he easily defeated the Dark Dragon. I guess it's understandable why she was so weak, as you just explained. Although I would have preferred if she had a 2 range attack, but oh well. I'm happy with what happened to her after the ending.

Good to see you got through (though I feel bad that you might have had to play that twice).

Also, good to see you don't need Rutger and Deke to beat it either!

Nah, it's okay.

And yeah, I didn't really need Dieck (who I didn't use a lot) or Rutger (who I used a lot). In fact, I only really needed was like two healers and Lilina, along with Roy and Fa obviously to complete the final chapter.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Rutger basically does no damage when using an Iron Sword against a Manakete. Unless, you're talking about the previous chapters, in which Rutger was actually really useful. Especially after promotion, considering he almost did criticals all the time.

Not only is he a badass, he's super good looking too!

Just an update, but I might play FE6 again, going for the different route this time however (such as the Sacae route).

My only problem is of whether I really want to go through 10B and 11B:

I know that Bartre joins in this route, but I've also he isn't as good as Echidna, but then again, I never used Echidna ever again so Bartre won't be used a lot. Another problem is Gonzales. He was one of my best units in my last playthrough, but seeing as how he comes at level 12 (or something like that) in this route, compared to level 5 in the other route, but with the same bases, would he still turn out any good?

Just an update, but I might play FE6 again, going for the different route this time however (such as the Sacae route).

My only problem is of whether I really want to go through 10B and 11B:

I know that Bartre joins in this route, but I've also he isn't as good as Echidna, but then again, I never used Echidna ever again so Bartre won't be used a lot. Another problem is Gonzales. He was one of my best units in my last playthrough, but seeing as how he comes at level 12 (or something like that) in this route, compared to level 5 in the other route, but with the same bases, would he still turn out any good?

In BB, Axe users are utter trash as they are terrible atleast to me. However, Gonzales is a good unit though I still prefer Geese since he starts with a brave axe.

Edited by Harvey

Bartre is still a pretty good unit so I wouldn't worry much about losing Echidna. Rather, it's more that Chapters 11B and 12B are somewhat trickier than their A route counterparts, because it's a lot more cramped and the enemy variety along with the spacing of their groups is better.

I wouldn't bother training Gonzo though, as said above, he sucks dongs in Sacae. Doesn't really matter either way though, since if you train the Nomads users to go to Sacae they handle the enemies there pretty well.

In BB, Axe users are utter trash as they are terrible atleast to me. However, Gonzales is a good unit though I still prefer Geese since he starts with a brave axe.

Pretty much only Geese and Gonzales are the only axe users capable of being good enough to fight: Geese has more balance stats, while Gonzales has high Speed and Strength, but low Skill.

And how come Gonzales sucks in Sacae route? Just asking, since he did pretty well in the Illian route.

Pretty much only Geese and Gonzales are the only axe users capable of being good enough to fight: Geese has more balance stats, while Gonzales has high Speed and Strength, but low Skill.

And how come Gonzales sucks in Sacae route? Just asking, since he did pretty well in the Illian route.

One word: Nomads.

^Ah, so basically Sacae route is a land of swords and arrows, right? I mean, I can only assume that...(wait so basically my pegasi and wyverns are also doomed in this route!?)

Ah well, at least Sue and Shin, and swords and non flying lance units will do better in this route, right?

Pretty much only Geese and Gonzales are the only axe users capable of being good enough to fight [...]

Nah dude, you have access to 5 competent Paladins in Marcus, Zealot, Alance and Percival. You'll never need to even touch a footlocked unit to cover the few instances where you may want to use an axe. And even then Echidna/Bartre are far more convenient choices.

Ilia is full of pitifully weak, lance-wielding pegasus knights that get outweighed by everything. Gonzales shits on them for free. Especially on HM.

But in Sacae he faces Nomad/Troopers that have massive mobility and attack from 2 range, dark mages that hit res and attack from 2 range and Myrmidons/Swordmaster that he won't hit. All three of those are massive pains in the dong. In HM you wouldn't even consider bringing him to Sacae, I don't know how well he fares in NM but unless you have character bias I'd advice against using him on Sacae route.

Edit: Flying units are still fairly useful on Sacae route because mobility trumps almost everything on FE6's big maps and you have the Delphi Shield.

Edited by Yojinbo

Marcus, Zealot, Alance and Percival

Marcus is pretty much a Jagen, and Zealot I didn't use (I don't think he turns out great anyway).

Alance and Percival, I could try. For Percival it would be easy, but Alance will have to be promoted to use axes, and they probably won't reach S rank with it in time, but I might as well try.

I could have Bors go for axes, once promoted that is, if he doesn't do badly like last time, or I could go with Wendy, if she is again RNG blessed. Barth's an obvious no no.

And as for what you said about Sacae route: So the route is pretty much more difficult. Well, I guess I'll have to think about which units to use, especially about the archers (including Sue and Shin), as this route probably won't have a lot fliers, so no easy insta kills. And axe units are definitely goners.

I'm glad my flying units will be okay though.

Well, this time you managed to grind Ellen to Light (S), didn't you? It should be even easier to get one of your Paladin's axe rank up, since they can take on multiple enemies on enemy phase without exploding. But even if you don't - it's not the end of the world if you don't have an Armads user in the endgame. I usually have neither Armads nor Aureola access for the final chapter, but since there are only 8 free unit slots anyway (and I always take Elphin/Lalum) and a designated healer or two doesn't hurt either, it's really not a big deal.

@Sacae route: You can only have one Delphi Shield, but it still allows you to throw Milady or Zeiss into a horde of nomads with a javelin equipped and laugh maniacally while they desperately try to put a dent in their armor.

@Zealot: He's basically a second Marcus in both base stats and growths. I guess you don't really need him on normal mode, but on hard mode, it's quite handy to have another strong, if temporary, unit on the roster at that point.

Marcus is pretty much a Jagen, and Zealot I didn't use (I don't think he turns out great anyway).

Alance and Percival, I could try. For Percival it would be easy, but Alance will have to be promoted to use axes, and they probably won't reach S rank with it in time, but I might as well try.

I could have Bors go for axes, once promoted that is, if he doesn't do badly like last time, or I could go with Wendy, if she is again RNG blessed. Barth's an obvious no no.

Jagen units are good units. Don't hesitate to use Marcus early on, especially on HM there'll hardly be a way around it. Zealot is not really necessary but he can help out for a while. They don't need to "turn out" great, they're just really good until about Ch.16 [from where their mobility won't be enough to carry them anymore]. You don't need to make any investments for them and you won't lose anything from using them early and then benching them later.

There's no point in going for S-Rank in Axes. It won't help you in any way. E-Rank already gives you access to the Iron Axe, Hand Axe and Steel Axe and that covers about 95% of the axe usage you'll ever need in a FE6 run. For anything beyond that Percival will be ready to do the job with a Killer Axe.

Well, this time you managed to grind Ellen to Light (S), didn't you? It should be even easier to get one of your Paladin's axe rank up, since they can take on multiple enemies on enemy phase without exploding. But even if you don't - it's not the end of the world if you don't have an Armads user in the endgame. I usually have neither Armads nor Aureola access for the final chapter, but since there are only 8 free unit slots anyway (and I always take Elphin/Lalum) and a designated healer or two doesn't hurt either, it's really not a big deal.

@Sacae route: You can only have one Delphi Shield, but it still allows you to throw Milady or Zeiss into a horde of nomads with a javelin equipped and laugh maniacally while they desperately try to put a dent in their armor.

@Zealot: He's basically a second Marcus in both base stats and growths. I guess you don't really need him on normal mode, but on hard mode, it's quite handy to have another strong, if temporary, unit on the roster at that point.

Yes, I did grind Ellen so she gets an S rank in Light. So I guess I can get one of my Paladins to get an S rank in axes (most likely Percival). But then again, it would mean I can just easily grind Gonzales or Geese to level 20, get them promoted, and easily have S rank in axes. Grinding is one of my habits anyways. But seeing as how those two are complete goners in the Sacae route, I think I'll just go with a Paladin. And about Zealot, well, I don't really like him anyways, so I won't probably use him

Jagen units are good units. Don't hesitate to use Marcus early on, especially on HM there'll hardly be a way around it. Zealot is not really necessary but he can help out for a while. They don't need to "turn out" great, they're just really good until about Ch.16 [from where their mobility won't be enough to carry them anymore]. You don't need to make any investments for them and you won't lose anything from using them early and then benching them later.

There's no point in going for S-Rank in Axes. It won't help you in any way. E-Rank already gives you access to the Iron Axe, Hand Axe and Steel Axe and that covers about 95% of the axe usage you'll ever need in a FE6 run. For anything beyond that Percival will be ready to do the job with a Killer Axe.

The problem with Jagen units is that they easily get kills, when I rather prefer them to soften enemies instead. I guess Zealot can soften them, considering he comes in Ch7, but I don't really like the guy.

As for axes, I guess E rank is fine, since Armads is only really needed in the last chapter, whereas I just Iron axes or Killer axes all the time. Alright, I guess I don't really need to be concerned over getting an S rank in axes, and having a unit with Armads in the last chapter (And I might prefer to add a third healer in the final chapter anyways).

The problem with Jagen units is that they easily get kills, when I rather prefer them to soften enemies instead. I guess Zealot can soften them, considering he comes in Ch7, but I don't really like the guy.

Hard Mode again :D Marcus with the iron sword works exactly like that, while he still has the silver lance as a panic button.

Marcus can soften up enemies in NM easily as well. Just have him rescue a useless unit like Roy or Wolf or Bors and he'll stop doubling enemy units leaving them open to get killed by your "baby" units.

^Hmm, I guess that's a good enough option. Then I may as well try that. I'm not going to do HM as of now, so, yeah.

Thanks for the advice tho, guys!

• 6 years later...