The Community-Written Fire Emblem Game - Write the Next Chapter

Thane

Hello everyone.

I have no idea if there's any demand for a game like this, but it was a fun idea I had earlier today, and I wanted to try it out. Basically, I want to see if it's possible to write a coherent, or even interesting, Fire Emblem plot if different writers improvise it chapter by chapter.

I'll start with writing chapter one and do some minimal worldbuilding (minimal so I can let others expand upon it as we go along and not force people to write about a world they might find uninteresting), then I'll let a different writer take care of chapter two, and so on. Of course, feedback, constructive criticism and some planning are welcome, but ultimately I want it to be at least a semi-individual story that might head into a completely different direction than previously thought at at a whim.

So, without further ado, I'll start

________

The snow-covered land of Heim is an unproportionately large country given its relatively small population, and most of the cities can be found along the southern shores, where coin flows and the wind carries ships, as opposed to death. In the northwestern region, the Snowcloak bandits, led by the legendary Bandit Queen Ragnhild, have considerable influence - and respect - among the poor villagers. While most certainly not a group of saints, they leave the less fortunate people alone and sometimes even help out with driving away wild beasts and rival gangs.

Sigrun, daughter of Ragnhild and one of the few Snowcloak mages, has only participated in a handful of raids so far because of her mother's overprotectiveness, even though she's now 21 years of age. Now, however, one of the largest convoys that have ever passed through their territory draws near, and the entire gang is being prepared to seize its presumably valuable cargo...

_______

Ragnhild: Dottir, how go your preparations?

Sigrun: Just fine, Mother, although I must admit I'm a bit nervous; I've never seen so many soldiers before.

Ragnhild: Mm, and from the look of things, they're well-equipped, too. If I were to guess, I'd say they're from the capital.

Sigrun: But what would bring such a large force out here?

Ragnhild: Your guess is as good as mine, but whatever it is, I want it. We haven't had a good haul in a while, which is why it's all hands on deck for this one.

Sigrun: Right...

Ragnhild: Dottir, you know what I'm going to say next, don't you?

Sigrun: Yeah yeah, target the middle wagon with Grim and Ulrika while you keep the main force occupied. You've told me that thrice in the past five minutes.

Ragnhild: I just don't want you to play hero. Knock out the guards, grab the treasure, then retreat. I will let you know if we need backup.

Sigrun: Mother, I really wish you'd have some faith in me. The Seers are astounded by my progress, and with Jormungand, how could I ever lose to a handful of soldiers?

Ragnhild: Hmph, and that's exactly why I worry about you, bairn: you let your talents and any and all small accomplishments go directly to your head. You wouldn't admit defeat even if a sword was pointed directly at your throat.

Sigrun: Good thing that'll never happen.

Ragnhild: *Sigh* will you at least promise me to be careful just this once? I want whatever's in these wagons, but no amount of treasure in the world could replace you.

Sigrun: ...Of course, Mother.

Ragnhild: Good. Now, enough with gooey stuff! The battlefield awaits!

________

Sigrun: Ulrika, Grim, to me!

Ulrika: My axe is ready and waiting, Sigrun.

Grim: As is my bow! What's the plan, chief?

Sigrun: Mother will be drawing the attention of the main force, so our objective is the middle wagon that will be left with only a handful of soldiers defending it. We'll swoop in, grab whatever's within reach and then back off.

Grim: What?! I'll miss a chance to see the Bandit Queen in action?! Aw man...I feel like a petty thief.

Sigrun: I hate to break it to you, but we sort of are.

Grim: That's not true! I helped an old lady cut firewood yesterday, what kind of thief would do something like that?!

Ulrika: A loud, obnoxious one, apparently.

Grim: Why you...!

Sigrun: Alright, you two, save the flirting for later, it looks as if the battle has begun. Be ready!

_________

*First soldier falls*

Guard: Blast! It's an ambush! Everyone, defend Lady Saga with your lives!

Elegant, bearded man: Hoh...they appear to be organized.

Guard: Sir Therdur! Please stay back and let us do our job, we won't let anyone reach the Queen!

Therdur: Your heart is in the right place, soldier, but I don't want anyone dying on my watch. I shall join the fray and quickly dispose of these savages.

Guard: Yes, sir!

*Boss battle against Sir Therdur*

Therdur: Tell me, girl, do you have even the faintest idea of who you're dealing with?

Sigrun: No.

Therdur: That's what I thought, but I must admit I find your lack of curiosity disappointing.

Sigrun: There'll be plenty of time for answering whatever questions I might have after I've stolen your cargo.

Therdur: Hah! What refreshing bluntness! If only nobles were as straight forward. Come, then, and I shall see if you're capable of backing up that bravado of yours!

*Defeating Sir Therdur*

Therdur: Heh, you're good...no, it's not you, it's that tome, isn't it? No matter, it's not enough.

*Post battle*

Sigrun: Hah...hah...no way, how can you still stand after being hit by my spells?!

Therdur: What's the matter, I thought you were saving the questions for later?

Sigrun: Tch!

Therdur: That's not all; look behind you. Go ahead, I won't strike.

Sigrun: What are- Ulrika! Grim! No way! Are...are they...

???: No, I merely knocked them unconscious. A privilege that was not granted my men, I see.

Sigrun: Who...

Saga: I'm Saga, your Queen, and I will also be the one who'll bring you to face punishment in the capital.

Sigrun: Hah...give me a break, my queen is my mother, Ragnhild! You're just a child, and when the rest of the Snowcloaks come, you'll wish you had stayed in your cozy little palace!

Therdur: ?! The Bandit Queen herself is here?!

Saga: What's the matter, Sir Therdur?

Therdur: Your Majesty, if she's telling the truth, we need to leave - NOW!

Saga: Surely you're jesting! We can't simply abandon the men fighting here!

Therdur: Milady, I know of no one who could stand a chance against the Bandit Queen in a fight; I fought her once two year ago, along with two other soldiers, and she cut us down faster than I could blink. As the captain of your forces, I order an immediate- argh!

Sigrun: Have you forgotten that I'm your opponent? I won't allow you to- ugh!

Saga: Hmph, what a mess...Medic! Please attend to Sir Therdur's wounds. My captains, I order an immediate retreat, and someone find a place to store our prisoners! I've got a feeling they'll come in handy...

_________

*Screen fades to black*

*Do you want to save?*

I swear I forgot about the Stormcloaks when I started writing this. Damn the similar names, maybe I should change it...

I assume you've completely forgotten about Sigrun from Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn when you've written this? Well, whatever, here's my take. Apologies if I end up getting your characters wrong:

Sigrun, Ulrika, and Grim have been taken captive by Lady Saga and her troops. They have regained consciousness in a prison cell and are going over their options...

--------

Ulrika: ...Will you quit with the pacing, Grim?

Grim: Why? Are my footsteps bothering you?

Ulrika: No, you're making me tired just from watching you.

Grim: Well, then turn around and face the corner or something!

Sigrun: Both of you enough. We need to figure out a way to escape.

Grim: Well, that much is obvious. Take a look outside the cell, how many guards do you see?

Sigrun: ...Twelve.

Grim: Exactly. Saga's put us under some heavy guard. She clearly doesn't want us escaping any time soon.

Ulrika: I suggest we wait.

Grim: What for?

Ulrika: One of two things could happen. One thing is the guards will try to take us to Saga. When one opens the door, we strike.

Grim: Not bad. What's the second option?

Ulrika: Queen Ragnhild comes and finds us.

Sigrun: Oh, boy... I rather my mother not find out about this.

Grim: Third option: We're executed here.

Ulrika: You always have a grim outlook on things, don't you?

Sigrun: Shush. Someone's coming.

Guard: Lady Saga wishes to speak to the leader. *opens door*

Grim: Looks like it's option one. *punches guard*

Guard: Ack! *falls*

Ulrika: What's the plan here, Grim?

Grim: What are you talking about? It was your idea!

Ulrika: But we have no weapons. How do you expect us to fight back?

Guard: Over here! They're escaping!

Sigrun: Looks like we have to evade the enemy for now. Everyone! Let's go!

--------------

*Finds chest containing weapons*

Sigrun: These will have to do for now. (Got a Fire Tome!)

Ulrika: ...Very well. (Got an Iron Axe!)

Grim: Ha! Nice! (Got an Iron Bow!)

----------------

*Fighting the boss*

Guard: How did you escape?! Lady Saga will have your head!

*Boss falls*

Guard: No! You can't--

----------------

*post-chapter*

Sigrun: Well, we made it out of the dungeon.

Grim: But we're not out of this, yet! The castle guards could still find us.

Voice: No they won't.

Sigrun: Gah! Who--

Ragnhild: Shh. Come.

Sigrun: Mother? Wha--

-------

Ragnhild: I wondered what happen to you three. When you didn't return, I got worried.

Sigrun: Sorry the plan didn't go as...planned, mother.

Grim: Not that I'm complaining, but how did you get in here and manage to help us escape.

Ragnhild: I have not revealed all my tricks. Now come, let's hurry back home before Saga catches up.

Ulrika: So, it was both options one and two...

--------------