Geese Vs Gonzalez....who's better?

Harvey

So I'm in the chapter where I recruit Geese and Gonzalez. I personally like Geese because of his character design but many seem to say that Gonzalez is better and Geese is horrible. That really true?

Geese is pretty weak as a unit (I don't hate him, but he's blown out of the water). While he has better skill growth (And I'm sure res too), Gonzales does better overall otherwise. And both get a skill bonus on promotion, so Gonzales's lower skill doesn't hurt too much. And in supports, I'd argue Gonzales too, but that's a bit more dependent on your party (He gets an alright base (and +2) Lilina support and his one with Garrett has higher base, while Gesse's only support that's better than 1 +1 is Cath. So yeah). Oh, but Gonzales needs Lilina to recruit. If that's an issue for you.

If you're in hard mode, Gonzales is a definite one to choose. He's better in normal too, but if you're playing hard mode, there's no contest.

Edited by Dayni

Is this Lalam or Elphin's route? (He gets a lower starting level in the former's route with the same bases)

Nevermind :P:

Edited by Limstella

I normally end up using Geese and he turns out to be a beast every time for me, but maybe I just have good luck with him. Use who ever you feel is best, what I do is use both in their recruitment chapter and then compare their stats and use who ever is best after a couple of level ups.

Is this Lalam or Elphin's route? (He gets a lower starting level in the former's route with the same bases)

He said that he's recruiting both, so I'm pretty sure 10A is the chapter. (Pretty sure Gonzales also has a worse axe rank on 10B as well. :( )

Lalam's route.

Hmm....looks like Gonzales seems to be the winner here. damn. I gave up using Ojey because Dieck is better and now I have to give up on Geese too? :(

Lalam's route.

Hmm....looks like Gonzales seems to be the winner here. damn. I gave up using Ojey because Dieck is better and now I have to give up on Geese too? :(

Oujay mostly has a con issue to be honest (Same with Strength) (He's actually not bad, though again not amazing.)

Geese is also a bit lesser on con too, but that could be an issue for Gonzales too. (i.e. almost nobody can rescue him)

Again, if you're on Normal, it's not as big a deal. Geese can be used, and Oujay is still fine to use (Though he might be too far behind now).

You can use both you know

Well here's the problem with that.

I need Roy, Dieck, Rutger and I'm giving Fir a chance. Then I'm using Allen, Lance, and Noah as my cavillers (Noah because I'm curious about the support conversation with Fir) Then Clarine, Saul, Lillina and finally Lugh oh and Shanna as well. I'm in a tough spot here as both Lugh and Lillina are good mages to me (ok Lillina might be bad but still, I like the character) and the same for Shanna.

I guess my problem is that I like some of the character designs in some units that I just can't bear to ignore them. Its already hard on me for Ojey and Wolt so looking at Geese, I really like the look of the character as well as his personality atleast for now.

HM base Gonzales is already better or will be better than base Geese in each stat except for skill. Even in NM Gonzales will be equal or better except in skill.

But it doesn't automatically mean that they're good.

Never ever used one of them... and I never will because axes are trash in FE6.

If I want to have a good axe user, then I go for Dieck because he has high skill, or for Alance who have a support to each other.

Geese has no good supports. Gonzo-chan gets Lilina to shoot his crit through the roof.

Which isn't that great considering both of them are pretty suspect as units, and Gonzales might as well have a blindfold on even with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well my Gonzales 1 hit killed Zephiel with a 33% hit rate and crit as well

so go with Gonzalez because he's awesome

PEMN, but strangely, my Gonzo maxed Skill on my last run of FE6HM.

what

Edited by Pixelman

Controversial opinion time.

Gonzo sucks because nobody but unpromoted Shanna, Shin and Dayan can rescue him. Overkill stats don't mean much when you get left behind all the time or the team has to slow down to let you keep contributing.

Geese is bad but 14 con is just about workable.

Garret is better than both.

Edited by Irysa

Controversial opinion time.

Gonzo sucks because nobody but unpromoted Shanna, Shin and Dayan can rescue him. Overkill stats don't mean much when you get left behind all the time or the team has to slow down to let you keep contributing.

Geese is bad but 14 con is just about workable.

Garret is better than both.

Controversial, but I can see why.

And is Garrett better for any reasons besides Con? Please elaborate.

Short Answer: Garret doesn't cost a Hero Crest to fufill the same niches that Geese or Gonzalez have and selling promotion items = more statboosters from the Secret Shop. Or if you don't like that argument, promote Dieck instead or something. Garret can add to your team without subtracting in some manner.

Long Answer: All you really want a Berserker for in this game is to Killer Axe lance wielding enemies like Cavs/Pegs/Wyverns or be a Peak distraction, so Garret's otherwise mediocre weapon rank doesn't matter. Geese will never catch up to Garret in strength (even in 10 levels he doesn't compare), and he needs an unreasonably large amount of levels in order to actually double things Garret doesn't (Geese joins at level 10 with 9 speed and promotion only gives 1 speed :facepalm: ), which is unlikely to happen for a unit who probably isn't getting many kills per map. Like, Geese with 5 levels and promotion has 1 AS over Garret. Whooptedoo. Another 5 levels and he has 14 AS, which is enough to start consistently doubling unpromoted Wyverns and Cavs, but Garret still has like a 50% chance to kill them in one hit anyway (and FWIW, Geese doubling only improves his chances of getting that KO by like 20% since he can't ORKO most enemies without crits). Better yet is that Garret has great skill and luck bases, and a durability lead significant enough to get him into 5hko range against many enemy combinations.

On NM Geese wins though, since he's not 2HKO'd by various enemies in the Isles and has a better chance of actually getting EXP by himself, and Garret's HM bonuses aren't in play.

Edited by Irysa

• 2 weeks later...

Long Answer: All you really want a Berserker for in this game is to Killer Axe lance wielding enemies like Cavs/Pegs/Wyverns or be a Peak distraction, so Garret's otherwise mediocre weapon rank doesn't matter. Geese will never catch up to Garret in strength (even in 10 levels he doesn't compare), and he needs an unreasonably large amount of levels in order to actually double things Garret doesn't (Geese joins at level 10 with 9 speed and promotion only gives 1 speed :facepalm: ), which is unlikely to happen for a unit who probably isn't getting many kills per map. Like, Geese with 5 levels and promotion has 1 AS over Garret. Whooptedoo. Another 5 levels and he has 14 AS, which is enough to start consistently doubling unpromoted Wyverns and Cavs, but Garret still has like a 50% chance to kill them in one hit anyway (and FWIW, Geese doubling only improves his chances of getting that KO by like 20% since he can't ORKO most enemies without crits). Better yet is that Garret has great skill and luck bases, and a durability lead significant enough to get him into 5hko range against many enemy combinations.

You. I like you. Garret is great! (Bartre will have to wait, it seems)

Gonzy is better than geese, even on B route, in my opinion. Gonzales, while costing an imidiate hero crest, can become a berserker right away without any baybying, one chapter before Geese even shows up. And factoring in hard mode bonuses, which geese never gets, makes gonzales even more powerful.

You. I like you. Garret is great! (Bartre will have to wait, it seems)

Gonzy is better than geese, even on B route, in my opinion. Gonzales, while costing an imidiate hero crest, can become a berserker right away without any baybying, one chapter before Geese even shows up. And factoring in hard mode bonuses, which geese never gets, makes gonzales even more powerful.

The problem is opportunity cost - unfortunately, Gonzales needs a Hero Crest to promote, and those are highly contested.