Tellius Recollection (Vol 2) Translation / Discussion Thread

Kirokan

Today we have Almedha!

On 3/17/2017 at 10:04 AM, Rafiel's Aria said:

Oh man...this is so much nostalgia right now. I feel like I've spent the day just sifting through all of these wonderful translations. Thanks a ton for this! You rock, Kirokan!

Oh Bastian... I absolutely adore him. I never got much use out of him as a unit, but he was such a fun character. I like that he got a bit of a more important role in RD. And his banter with Lucia was always priceless. Lucia was a pretty great character too. She rocked that short hair like a boss. 

You're welcome! Thank you for reading : )

22 hours ago, Extrasolar said:

Oh, I don't doubt that Ludveck is ultimately a coward that wimps out to save himself. But that's precisely what I don't like about him. He talks grand about how he wants Elincia to prove herself and how he thinks she's a weak ruler, only to prove himself the weakest person of them all in the situation. Basically, a giant hypocrite. Not to mention, he doesn't seem to give a shit about making the Crimean Knights have to cut down their own countrymen and the fact that his own troops sacrificed their life for his scared ass. Just makes him come off as slimier than ever.

I like my villains to stick to their guns, even if their guns are extremist views and the villains themselves are assholes. That's why I consider Jarod to be the best minor villain of the game. Guy was the ultimate douche, but brave as hell. He didn't even shiver when the Black Knight was in front of him! Talk about badass, lol.

I'm hyping Jarod a lot lately...

Ludveck was my least liked villain in the sense that he actually made me upset. I think it's because we don't really get much satisfaction seeing his reaction to his plan really falling apart after the mercenaries rush in. xD We don't get that closure even if it's implied, ending with that part about looking forward to Elincia coming back in tears instead. : \

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Almedha never seemed "mad" she just seemed really doting...

Well, perhaps in-between games she calmed down somewhat (on the other hand, her "doting" does seem a bit still on the fanatical side, up to interpretation). After all, the events that would've driven her "mad" were years ago by the time we see her in person in RD. That's enough time. Perhaps even Ashnard's death, the man responsible for much of that greif, helped in that.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, perhaps in-between games she calmed down somewhat (on the other hand, her "doting" does seem a bit still on the fanatical side, up to interpretation). After all, the events that would've driven her "mad" were years ago by the time we see her in person in RD. That's enough time. Perhaps even Ashnard's death, the man responsible for much of that greif, helped in that.

Yeah, that's pretty plausible. Probably what happened.

Ashnard uber confirmed for scumbag 2017
Using her to the point of getting her pregnant just because he wanted a Dragon-powered baby, and then tossing her aside like nothing after no Dragon powers remained? What trash, lol.

I always felt sorry for Almedha, just because she started off innocent in all of this - disagreeing with her extremely strict and prideful father, deciding to make her own life outside of Goldoa's walls, falling in lust with an asshole...and then her life just went spiraling downhill, after she was used to lure and trap her own brother into a fate worse than death (glad that the herons were able to at last let him rest). She not only lost her Dragon form, but most of her family and friends, and even her very own son.

Her clinging to Pelleas and doting on him even when she knew, deep down, that he wasn't her son is really sort of heartbreaking. She's the real unsung tragedy in all of this.

Edited by Extrasolar

3 hours ago, Kirokan said:

Today we have Almedha!

You're welcome! Thank you for reading : )

Ludveck was my least liked villain in the sense that he actually made me upset. I think it's because we don't really get much satisfaction seeing his reaction to his plan really falling apart after the mercenaries rush in. xD We don't get that closure even if it's implied, ending with that part about looking forward to Elincia coming back in tears instead. : \

Something about everybody and their mother praising the floor that Ike's kisses and destroys other characters development and explanations (?)

We don't see the lowest of lows for Almedha but at the same time, you can tell she's still a broken person by the way she obsesses over Pelleas's wellbeing. Even then, I think she always has a feeling that Pelleas is not really her son from the onset. She latches to him because she, like many others, mistakes his spirit charmer mark as a Branded, while others think the opposite of Soren.

It's kind of a shame the extended ending for Almedha and Soren is locked away behind so many requirements. Even though it doesn't change things in any meaningful way for Soren (no one tells him the truth), it's good closure for Almedha to see her true son doing well on his own despite everything.

@Kirokan In Elincia's profile, Pelleas' name is written as "Pelleaus." Sorry if it's pedantic, just pointing out a quick typo if you want to fix it or something. You're doing great work, haha. :lol:

Woot Volug! I never knew why I liked him so much, even on my first playthrough when I couldn't understand a word that he was saying, but I guess I thought his design was cool. Not to mention, the wolf laguz in general are pretty sweet.

Wish we'd gotten a little more development from Volug (and a lot of the other characters introduced for the first time in RD, for that matter...) His interest in being a diplomat between Hatari and other places was woefully undeveloped imo, especially given that he couldn't speak the Tellius language at all at first.

Renning is cool too. I always thought his design was pretty cool, and it wasn't until recently that I made the connection: The guy's got green hair because he's related to Elincia, who's got green hair...sometimes it takes me a while to pick up on little things like that, lol. The guy's 42? Wow... Had pegged him for mid-thirties at the most...

Edited by Extrasolar

Profile follows what was said in Geoffrey's and reports that Elincia treats him and Lucia like family.

Profile ends with it saying Elincia reunited with Ike and he praised her.

This makes me further lament no ending between them, even a platonic one. ;_; However, I don't think she was trying to rely on Ike when that civil war was brewing, she was only looking for him because Leanne was and Leanne needed help finding him. That was an unrelated thing. I can see Elincia asking Ike to go to Leanne's aid instead of her own if they had found him before the whole execution scene, and she would've tried to solve her country's own problem herself anyway.

On the flipside though, I never interpreted Elincia getting Ike's help as making her look weak anyway. No ruler can do anything completely by themselves, I would think. That's why they have advisors and such. I think she could've grown as a character with or without him around. But she was still written awesomely regardless. ^^

Also, Rafiel and Nailah really are married? This wasn't mentioned at all in the English game, so I can't imagine why it was cut out there. o.O

Edited by Anacybele

Oh Almedha, she is a tragedy, one only can scarcely imagine how she must have felt when Soren was torn away from her. I wonder exactly how Soren ended up in the old woman's care. Did Ashnard throw him away because he was so disgusted with his child and his spouse? Heck, how did Soren even get his name? (Obviously he read some Fear and Trembling.)  And how is it that Ashnard didn't know Branded take time to reveal their enhanced abilities? It seems like he was expecting a grown humanoid ten feet tall with wings, scales and a full suit of armor to come right out of the womb.

On 3/20/2017 at 2:26 AM, Samias said:

Even though it doesn't change things in any meaningful way for Soren (no one tells him the truth), it's good closure for Almedha to see her true son doing well on his own despite everything.

Soren I don't think would want to inherit Daein- kingship doesn't suit him. I don't think the revelation Ashnard was his father would bother him much, he had two bad guardians as a kid- bad parents is something he's used to. Almedha, I'm not sure Soren would come to love her, obviously he wouldn't hate her, but loving her is something he could only force himself to try perhaps. One thing that would be good for Soren no matter what though is knowing that he'd always have shelter in Goldoa if he needed it- Uncle Kurthnaga would make sure of that.

On the others:

Volug speaks nothing, but you can come to love him through the few scenes he is in, plus via gameplay. He's a loyal wolf/dog that does his job of defending Micaiah no matter what via biting lots of baddies in Part 1 and kicking them in Part 3. (It's a shame he doesn't get a base convo with Miccy in Part 3, or 4 if you put him in the Dawn Army.)

Renning- so Bastian kept him out of sight for politics- interesting. If Renning was known to be alive but ill/incapacitated during RD, the anti-Elincia noble faction might have accused her of poisoning him so she could usurp the throne I can imagine. 

Also, I'm starting to see Ludveck as a would-be tyrant who abused anti-Daein populist sentiments for his own gain (but not a "populist tyrant"- he outright hates the masses).

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Renning- so Bastian kept him out of sight for politics- interesting. If Renning was known to be alive but ill/incapacitated during RD, the anti-Elincia noble faction might have accused her of poisoning him so she could usurp the throne I can imagine.

Whoa, you're probably right on this one. :o Though a part of me kinda wishes this happened now because we all know how amusingly pissed off Ike would be at such an accusation, given how he reacted to Sanaki teasing her. lol

Edited by Anacybele

Renning is in fact Tom Selleck. Just needs the Magnum perm.

I always felt that Elincia and Renning's  ending options could've easily had her renounce the throne to him so she could live a life of... well, anything. There's a lot of talk about how great of a leader Renning is and even more in both games about how Elincia doesn't seem to really want to be Queen, so it would've been nice to let that manifest in some of her endings.

Also I like how both characters are hidden from the public to avoid succession crises for the other. And here I figured Bastian was just trying not to get anyone's hopes up about curing rabies.

26 minutes ago, a bear said:

I always felt that Elincia and Renning's  ending options could've easily had her renounce the throne to him so she could live a life of... well, anything. There's a lot of talk about how great of a leader Renning is and even more in both games about how Elincia doesn't seem to really want to be Queen, so it would've been nice to let that manifest in some of her endings.

Man, I so agree with this, even if Elincia really does still love her country and people regardless. If she had an ending option where she let Renning rule instead, that opens up interesting possibilities. Marrying Ike and serving Crimea in his mercenary group or maybe even leaving Tellius with him (though in such a scenario, that's probably not the most in-character thing for them), at least staying a noble at the castle and being more of a support person or bodyguard for her uncle, maybe traveling around some more to see more of Tellius! Elincia lived in hiding much of her life, so there's probably still so much she hasn't seen.

Hell, she loves embroidery according to the PoR artbook, so she could very well make that her main business too, if she wanted.

Edited by Anacybele

2 hours ago, Luchi said:

People thinking Ellie will abandon Crimea really don't get her character... (sigh)

I agree. No one here is saying she will or would though. Giving up the throne =/= abandoning your country. Also, I'm kind of tired of people thinking that Elincia would abandon Crimea if she left her throne and criticize such an idea, and yet they don't complain about who really DID abandon Crimea: Ike. THAT was not in his character, which established his values of family and looking after the Greil Mercs for his dad, and yet all of a sudden, poof, he's disappeared forever, just like that.

If Elincia simply giving the throne to Renning and nothing more, even if she's still serving in the army or something, is "abandoning Crimea," then Ike leaving forever sure as hell is too.

Edited by Anacybele

3 hours ago, Luchi said:

People thinking Ellie will abandon Crimea really don't get her character... (sigh)

What's wrong with renouncing the throne? Renning is super qualified and the original heir. Elincia wouldn't go back into hiding or leave forever like Ike or anything, she'd just have more freedom to help Crimea some other way like Ike and the GMs. It's a pretty simple way to allow the player's decisions actually affecting the outcome of the story --  not unlike saving a certain prime minister, though far simpler and without one option clearly being preferred. It's also a more interesting way to write a variable ending for a character than the 3DS style of "put sentence A next to sentence B" where nothing actually changes regardless of who's paired with who.

edit: oops, hit post like 5 seconds into writing this, gotta finish now

Edited by a bear

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

I agree. No one here is saying she will or would though. Giving up the throne =/= abandoning your country. Also, I'm kind of tired of people thinking that Elincia would abandon Crimea if she left her throne and criticize such an idea, and yet they don't complain about who really DID abandon Crimea: Ike. THAT was not in his character, which established his values of family and looking after the Greil Mercs for his dad, and yet all of a sudden, poof, he's disappeared forever, just like that.

If Elincia simply giving the throne to Renning and nothing more, even if she's still serving in the army or something, is "abandoning Crimea," then Ike leaving forever sure as hell is too.

But Elincia herself seems to think its the same thing. She says it is her duty to lead Crimea into the right direction, even if she feels she is not as qualified as she should be. Its hard to imagine her suddenly changing her mind about that.

Elincia doesn't even want to be queen but remains at her throne because she thinks its her duty to do so. Renning being alive does make it more possible for Elincia to leave, admittingly but perhaps Renning himself wouldn't even want to after all he's been through.

Just now, Etrurian emperor said:

But Elincia herself seems to think its the same thing. She says it is her duty to lead Crimea into the right direction, even if she feels she is not as qualified as she should be. Its hard to imagine her suddenly changing her mind about that.

Elincia doesn't even want to be queen but remains at her throne because she thinks its her duty to do so. Renning being alive does make it more possible for Elincia to leave, admittingly but perhaps Renning himself wouldn't even want to after all he's been through.

I saw it more as her being afraid others would see it that way, not that she herself does, which is understandable, I suppose, but each to their own.

13 minutes ago, a bear said:

What's wrong with it? Renning is super qualified and the original heir. Elincia capable obviously, and 

edit: oops, hit post like 5 seconds into writing this, gotta finish now

Thing is, Elincia still cares deeply for her people and Crimea. So "abandon" would be the very wrong word to use here like I said. It's more or less her deciding to ditch one way of helping Crimea for a more desirable and less stressful one. Serving Crimea in a way that she thinks she's more qualified for or can contribute more by doing.

Which is why even though I've written her leaving, I've been trying to show that she still wants to help Crimea and visit when she can, that she did not truly abandon them, as that is completely out of character.

28 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I figure it works either way. Both are talented and beloved leaders, both have valid reasons to accept or deny the throne, both are humble enough to let the other rule. It'd basically be Renning honoring Elincia's wishes to follow her heart, whatever she chooses.

I'll just put this out here: If Elincia was willing to sacrifice her beloved milk sibling for the good of her country, what makes a person think she will leave her country/abandon/elope after being confronted with such a difficult decision? She clearly did not want to sacrifice Lucia ( as see by the post-Execution scene where she literally collapses to her knees) but did because it was her duty. The Crimean Civil War didn't just strengthen Elincia's bonds with her retainers, but forced her to grow unto the character most of us know and love.

Is anyone actually suggesting she might abandon Crimea? The only scenario where she severs ties completely is if she leaves Tellius forever with Ike, which is a silly ending even without Elincia. Still, she can serve her country without being in Melior or even within Crimea's borders.