FE 8: The Alternate Stones

Armadillo8

I call it FE 8 - The Alternate Stones.

So what is it?
It's an alternate Version of FE 8.
A little side-project I've been working on.

You can somewhat compare this to the Master Version.
Although this hack is not as difficult (actually, people are saying it's really hard), and therefore it focuses more on fun gameplay.

You see, I wanted to make FE 8 a little more enjoyable.
As a result, this hack contains:

• Imported Music from your favourite GBA Games: FE 6 & 7
  • Many custom soundtracks
  • New Classes and Promotion Branches
  • New Stat Caps and Bases for Classes (and maybe even more?)
    • Unpromoted classes have individual Stat Caps
    • Promoted Classes recieved new Stat Caps for balancing Purposes
    • Promotion Branches have been altered
  • Different Growths (and Classes) for (some) Characters
  • A TON of new weapons and items
  • Restructured shops and armories
  • New spell animations
  • Item and weapon rebalancing
    • Swords now have a respective Javelin, Short Spear, Spear replacement. That means Swordmasters are now not locked to 1 range anymore.
    • Magic now has more type-specific characteristics. Anima slightly boosts your stats (e.g. Aircalibur gives +1 Speed and Skill), Light Magic is light, accurate and has high crit, while dark Magic is strong and has Special effects. Tome weight has been reduced as it makes no sense that a tome can be heavier than a steel axe. Furthermore, there's a non legedary S-Rank tome for each Magic type. (Also, Magic is kinda overpowered)
    • Boring Staff Animations (Heal, Mend etc.) have been removes because everybody turn them off anyways. Now you can watch Bishops Shine enemies to death while not having to bother with staff Animations(Special staves like Latona, Silence, Berserk and Sleep retain their Animation)
    • Changes to weapon durability. Iron Weapons have 50, Steel 40 and so on.
    • Bows have been significantly improved. They now have high erhit rates to compensate for their range, and many "Special Bows" were added to further improve their performance. (Sure Strike can be actually useful for some "Special Bows" now).
    • and more
  • Slightly altered story and dialogue
  • Actually good rewards in the Main Story and on Grinding Maps (Melkaen Coast, Valni, Lagdou)
    • This includes better rewards for completing tasks such as saving villagers and villages, better loot in chests and more droppable and stealable items
  • New playable characters!?

Some Screenshots:

Spoiler

QZLHgqO.pngzlTqsFS.pngio7Okh5.pngvLzAJXI.png

If you find FE 8 to have disgusting maps and terrible characters, and if you hate the game more than anything, you probably shouldn't play this one.

The Future:

Supports for the new character will be finished.
Eirikas Route is finished.
Ephraims Route is still in development (thus you shouldn't go with Ephraim to Grado yet)

His route will need more strategic approaches than Eirikas Route.

Like with every hack, here comes the
Bug List:

• Chapter 18's battle Background, Weapon Level Increased Textboxes and the screens before the scripted Eirika/Ephraim Promotion and the flashbacks look kinda ugly. They are just cosmetic Errors and have no effect on gameplay though.
  • On Eirika Ch 12: Defeating an enemy who drops an item while having a full inventory will crash the game

I've tested it on Hard Mode. I do not know how Normal Mode might turn out to be. I highly reccomend you to choose Hard Mode (although from what I've seen [and since it's FE 8] normal mode should work fine too).

The difficulty spikes at Chapter 9, Chapter 13 and Chapter 16.

If you have any suggestions or if you found bugs let me know.

Patch and Credits

Character and Class Doc

Edited by Mariode

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like this so far but yeah there are some issues.

Like how Seth just had this:

screenshot_2_by_zero09studios-danlhqq.pn

Seth really is the paladin every other FE paladin prays to at night

Seth too OP. Please nerf to 112% crit.

Found this minor graphical error when Ross gets his axe rank up.

mWjn0lD.png

I knew of this, but I rather focus on more game-breaking bugs. I'll fix it eventually. Still, thanks for trying to help :)

I would recomend that if you plan to change someone's class, if that's possible, to give them a proper palette.

https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=Kha.PNG

It would look better.

Your links don't really work for me. It just Redirects me to the main site of dropbox.

I guess you are talking about either Forde or Kyles Palette right? (probably Forde)

I'm actually done with most of the palettes, but some are still not finished. But they will be soon!

Edited by Mariode

Seriously dude, I'm playing on normal mode because i didn't see the 'play on hard mode' warning, and already it's been a fight through hell and back. I'm going to say one thing. TIRADO! That is fucking all. He. Is. Insane. I'm actually a fanfic writer of the Fugere Illusion series on Fanfiction.net and in my fire emblem story, an Alternate version of Tirado in the Fates Universe (where the story takes place) is one of the side characters who has a decent amount of devolpment. I won't spoil my own story much, but when I saw Tirado's stats on NORMAL MODE, I instantly thought 'O god it's Tirado the Badass from my Story!' And he did not fricken disappoint. I had to level grind Natasha with staves before upgrading her into the new class you made for her JUST TO TAKE HIM ON, with 6 damage ticks, the Aircaliber tome, and an A level support with Joshua, and even then, with a bunch of stat boosters to help her, and Tirado's hit at 41 percent, HE HIT HER EVERY TIME, the only reason Natasha didn't outright die was because of the angelic robe i gave her from earlier in the chapter and by spending every single elixer I had saved up to that point on her. Tirado... you have cemented yourself as a badass, I only now wish he was playable. Seriously, good hack, and to be honest, i highly doubt Tirado died from all the crap i've thrown at him, it'd be more like 'Ok you've hammered me with everything you've got, now will you please leave me alone.' while pretending to die. Valter would lose a fight against Tirado, guaranteed. When you can one shot everyone, General Giliam does no damage to you and you can shrug off the kryptonite of your class (Erika and Ephram's weapons, and magic) You are a Four Star Badass.

TIRADO! That is fucking all. He. Is. Insane.

Carlyle is even worse. Close to maxed out in most stats? Check. 1-2 range weapon? Check. High crit chance? Check. He will avoid most attacks you throw at him to an insane degree. He pretty much always hits you, and more than not crits. It took a very good 20/20 Lute with every stat maxed except HP, luck and defense to be able to land a hit on him without dying, and even then, it took heavy RNG abuse. I didn't have a unit that had a hit chance above 50%, and the ones that did couldn't do enough damage to make a difference. I RNG abused for 20 minutes just to beat this guy. The best part, though? I played a bit of Chapter 15, and Valter is actually WEAKER IN EVERY STAT.

I just finished a normal mode playthrough. The hardest bosses I fought (in my opinion) were

1. Aias

2. Carlyle.

3. Caellach.

4. Tirado.

Everyone else was pretty manageable, but these guys were really difficult at the stages of the game they were at. I got lucky and killed Carlyle in 1 hit with Ross using a swordslayer (it took a few savestates). All in all, this game was a lot of fun, even on Normal Mode.

Carlyle is even worse. Close to maxed out in most stats? Check. 1-2 range weapon? Check. High crit chance? Check. He will avoid most attacks you throw at him to an insane degree. He pretty much always hits you, and more than not crits. It took a very good 20/20 Lute with every stat maxed except HP, luck and defense to be able to land a hit on him without dying, and even then, it took heavy RNG abuse. I didn't have a unit that had a hit chance above 50%, and the ones that did couldn't do enough damage to make a difference. I RNG abused for 20 minutes just to beat this guy. The best part, though? I played a bit of Chapter 15, and Valter is actually WEAKER IN EVERY STAT.

Carlyle was always one of those 'That One Boss' in the original game, even with grinding. But for me Joshua is always going to be the one to take him on. I've saving the Wind Sword (Which would actually do something against him) just for his sorry ass. And then followed by Caellach getting to fear the wrath of the king of Jennaha. Natasha / Joshua all the way!

Carlyle was always one of those 'That One Boss' in the original game, even with grinding. But for me Joshua is always going to be the one to take him on. I've saving the Wind Sword (Which would actually do something against him) just for his sorry ass. And then followed by Caellach getting to fear the wrath of the king of Jennaha. Natasha / Joshua all the way!

Actually, the only reason I gave Natasha the option to promote to a Mage Knight is for her to be able to wield Excalibur.

Seriously dude, I'm playing on normal mode because i didn't see the 'play on hard mode' warning, and already it's been a fight through hell and back. I'm going to say one thing. TIRADO! That is fucking all. He. Is. Insane.

Carlyle is even worse. Close to maxed out in most stats? Check. 1-2 range weapon? Check. High crit chance? Check. He will avoid most attacks you throw at him to an insane degree. He pretty much always hits you, and more than not crits.

I decided to nerf those two a bit... I might have overdone it (especially with Carlyle). I never saw a Problem with Tirado as the Lord would always just obliterate him when I played the Chapter, but Carlyle is a different story.

Also, lots of new custom battle themes and a few new map themes have been added. Some character had their growths slightly altered.

Supports have been added for new characters. The endings for the respective characters are finished, but some of the Support coversations are not done yet.

Additionally, Support bonuses have been altered a little.

Ephraim Mode development is running. It will take some time, but it will come soon.

Edited by Mariode

Actually, the only reason I gave Natasha the option to promote to a Mage Knight is for her to be able to wield Excalibur.

I decided to nerf those two a bit... I might have overdone it (especially with Carlyle). I never saw a Problem with Tirado as the Lord would always just obliterate him when I played the Chapter, but Carlyle is a different story.

Also, lots of new custom battle themes and a few new map themes have been added. Some character had their growths slightly altered.

Supports have been added for new characters. The endings for the respective characters are finished, but some of the Support coversations are not done yet.

Additionally, Support bonuses have been altered a little.

Ephraim Mode development is running. It will take some time, but it will come soon.

Don't nerf Tirado, he's the beef gate of things to come. Besides he's pretty much Valter's second in command, it would make sense for him to be pretty dam strong. He is there to prove you are not unstoppable, and that this game means BUSINESS! as more Natasha to Mage Knight, I liked that, though I actually once played a hack where characters had three promote options. NOW WITH MORE DIVERSITY! I still haven't run into any new faces, but i'll find them soon I guess. Besides, it's the sign of a good hack when you actually have to challenge yourself to get through without anyone dying. Good dam job.

SO, hello Mariode and SerenesForest, I've been on this forum for a while but this is the first time I write something in here, and I'm not English so if I misspell stuff don't release the dogs XD. I'm here because I wanted to write down some of my thoughts regarding this game: as of right now I'm in chapter 13, where everyone and their mom is promoted and drops items upon death, and I'd like to give my opinion of the game, considering in this equation how far i've gotten and also the replies which came from people before me in this thread. Also sorry for the big post, but I needed to be a bit specific in some parts.

The first thing I want to address is the fact that in this game, even with supports, dodgetanking seems to be less effective than defensetanking: when a promoted enemy (who, mind you, more often than not deals enough damage to oneshot a good half of my team) attacks a fully supported unit of mine and STILL has like 40 hit, I'd rather use someone who can live the hit and retaliate effectively; I'm not even talking about archers here, who got a big accuracy buff and a GIGANTIC base stat buff (my Sniper!Neimi is OP), I'm talking a Nosferatu Mage Knight on chapter 10 having 30 hit on a level 20 Colm supported by Neimi and on a forest, and as many people here know, 30 hit isn't that reliable. I'm going to assume the reason for this downfall of dodgetanking is that enemies actually have a luck growth in this game, which pretty much grants them 10 extra hit/avoid than usual, and often have 20+ speed just so they can kill you better. Which is cool, and forces you to think about what you're doing, especially if you have mostly unpromoted units (by chapter 13, it's a 50/50, and i DID boss/arena abuse a bit, for the most part on Marisa), but that needs to be toned down just a tiny bit in my opinion, enough that I don't have to deal with a 24 speed swordmaster that even with a silver blade is doubling everyone on my team.

Second thing, and this is a quick one, Tirado. People have been saying that Tirado needs a nerf, but i think he's fine now. What I did to defeat him was try to attack him with Hammer!Ross (which has around 40 hit but oneshots if you train him) and if I missed, I'd rescue drop him out of danger, heal him if necessary and try again next turn. As a strategy it is completely risk free, you just have to abuse Bazba to have Pirate Ross before chapter 4 and keep him well trained (I'm not saying level 20, you can use him at your leisure and still be able to pull this off IF he has enough Strength).

Third thing, archers. High def, low res, and a bunch of buffs to their weapons, including stuff like a res-targetting bow and even a Luna bow WITH a bit of might (but imprecise, which had to be done in order to not make it OP). The buffs are much appreciated, for sure, but personally I think their defense should be lowered a bit, and perhaps compensate by raising their res just as much. For reference, you people who haven't played the game yet, due to stat fluctuation, some archers have as much def as vanilla knights, even more at times. This fact discouraged me from using usually effective units such as Joshua, who in my case refused to get strength and had to pull out at least a Steel to deal SOME damage to these guys, and thus forced me to take the obvious route for this game and train the absurdly OP Marisa.

Next, tomes. What I saw, I REALLY liked: the weight of the tomes has been reduced a bit, even siege tomes aren't that heavy (10 weight purge with 10 uses buyable in chapter 12 is kinda crazy). Also, while most of the dark tomes I saw up to now retained their original effects, and Luna has been buffed enough to be fairly effective with supports, anima tomes give some minor stat buffs, and light tomes tend to crit a lot. About the individual weapons I encountered up to now, I particularly liked the Patronaura (not gonna spoil what it does), but there are also weapons that sadly don't really fit or are clearly OP. For example, I don't see a single reason to use Elthunder over Aircalibur; also, the Divine tome REALLY shouldn't have that much crit chance, even though seeing an Artur that has the crit chance of a Killer Axe Berserker is hilarious. And finally, even though I haven't played chapter 13 yet, please nerf Swarm because it is stupid good as far as I can tell.

...can't think of anything else right now. The 2 ranged swords are well balanced, the weapon selection of the shops in-battle is excellent, you should maybe avoid throwing too many stealable gems around, and that's it, really. Overall a pretty good hack, but I think that those times when it is necessary to grind according to the rising difficulty should be written in the first post, like the Master Version thread. I didn't grind MUCH, but it definitely isn't a problem, because you'll probably be swimming in money by the time you'll feel the need to give your units a boost. I'll be waiting for replies!

The first thing I want to address is the fact that in this game, even with supports, dodgetanking seems to be less effective than defensetanking: when a promoted enemy (who, mind you, more often than not deals enough damage to oneshot a good half of my team) attacks a fully supported unit of mine and STILL has like 40 hit, I'd rather use someone who can live the hit and retaliate effectively; I'm not even talking about archers here, who got a big accuracy buff and a GIGANTIC base stat buff (my Sniper!Neimi is OP), I'm talking a Nosferatu Mage Knight on chapter 10 having 30 hit on a level 20 Colm supported by Neimi and on a forest, and as many people here know, 30 hit isn't that reliable. I'm going to assume the reason for this downfall of dodgetanking is that enemies actually have a luck growth in this game, which pretty much grants them 10 extra hit/avoid than usual, and often have 20+ speed just so they can kill you better. Which is cool, and forces you to think about what you're doing, especially if you have mostly unpromoted units (by chapter 13, it's a 50/50, and i DID boss/arena abuse a bit, for the most part on Marisa), but that needs to be toned down just a tiny bit in my opinion, enough that I don't have to deal with a 24 speed swordmaster that even with a silver blade is doubling everyone on my Team.

I just don't like the fact that a Swordmaster can pretty much solo the game by carrieing a Killing Edge and a Lancereaver. Enemies with higher Luck fix that and they get some extra avoid to give them dodgieness to some degree... Though the Swordmasters are a bit stupid, I goota say. I decreased their Speed Growth (as well as some óther growths for some classes).

Second thing, and this is a quick one, Tirado. People have been saying that Tirado needs a nerf, but i think he's fine now. What I did to defeat him was try to attack him with Hammer!Ross (which has around 40 hit but oneshots if you train him) and if I missed, I'd rescue drop him out of danger, heal him if necessary and try again next turn. As a strategy it is completely risk free, you just have to abuse Bazba to have Pirate Ross before chapter 4 and keep him well trained (I'm not saying level 20, you can use him at your leisure and still be able to pull this off IF he has enough Strength)

I decreased all of Tirados stats a Little just so he would dodge less attack. But I don't think he'll need any more treatment.

Third thing, archers. High def, low res, and a bunch of buffs to their weapons, including stuff like a res-targetting bow and even a Luna bow WITH a bit of might (but imprecise, which had to be done in order to not make it OP). The buffs are much appreciated, for sure, but personally I think their defense should be lowered a bit, and perhaps compensate by raising their res just as much. For reference, you people who haven't played the game yet, due to stat fluctuation, some archers have as much def as vanilla knights, even more at times. This fact discouraged me from using usually effective units such as Joshua, who in my case refused to get strength and had to pull out at least a Steel to deal SOME damage to these guys, and thus forced me to take the obvious route for this game and train the absurdly OP Marisa.

Good Point there. I should definitely check the enemy growths, as some classes seem to have one or some oddly high stats. As you said, the archer with insane def or even the Swordmaster who capped Speed at Lv 1...

Next, tomes. What I saw, I REALLY liked: the weight of the tomes has been reduced a bit, even siege tomes aren't that heavy (10 weight purge with 10 uses buyable in chapter 12 is kinda crazy). Also, while most of the dark tomes I saw up to now retained their original effects, and Luna has been buffed enough to be fairly effective with supports, anima tomes give some minor stat buffs, and light tomes tend to crit a lot. About the individual weapons I encountered up to now, I particularly liked the Patronaura (not gonna spoil what it does), but there are also weapons that sadly don't really fit or are clearly OP. For example, I don't see a single reason to use Elthunder over Aircalibur; also, the Divine tome REALLY shouldn't have that much crit chance, even though seeing an Artur that has the crit chance of a Killer Axe Berserker is hilarious. And finally, even though I haven't played chapter 13 yet, please nerf Swarm because it is stupid good as far as I can tell.

Glad you liked the changes :) I spent hours thinking about how to make Patronaura good, but not too broken. I hope it's fine as it is now. Aircalibur was nerfed in might, hit and crit, though I didn't buff Elthunder. Did you maybe mean Arcfire? As Elthunder is just an inferior Version of Arcfire. Like Iron>Steel, it would be Fire>Elthunder>Arcfire and Aircalibur would be the killer variant. Divine was also nerfed. I don't know what I was thnking when giving it that absurd critrate. Also, Purge was reduced to 8 uses... just because...

Swarm has been nerfed slightly. It was kinda broken, I admit it, but I've been spending more time playing with the thought of nerfing Eclipse xD

...can't think of anything else right now. The 2 ranged swords are well balanced, the weapon selection of the shops in-battle is excellent, you should maybe avoid throwing too many stealable gems around, and that's it, really. Overall a pretty good hack, but I think that those times when it is necessary to grind according to the rising difficulty should be written in the first post, like the Master Version thread. I didn't grind MUCH, but it definitely isn't a problem, because you'll probably be swimming in money by the time you'll feel the need to give your units a boost. I'll be waiting for replies!

Honestly, I was at a Point where I thought that the game needed even more gems. After Ch 13, you'll see even more Gems. But trust me, you will need the Money later on. I'll think about it, but probably leave the gems unchanged. Oh and you're definitely right. I completely missed out on mentioning the difficulty spikes. Thank's for pointing it out!

Finally, a HUGE thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate it :)

Edited by Mariode