Hero_Luci's Sprites!

Hero_Lucina

All right, here we go.

First Mug --

- Clothes are totally flat - there's essentially no shading on them.

- Entire mug is 22 colors, not including background - hack-insertable mugs are 15 colors (without background). There are several stray colors that inflate the color count, esp in the eyes. There are also multiple border colors - that is, the original purple border and black. Generally speaking, we don't use pure black or white in mugs on account of the fact that these two colors are the most commonly used when subbing in a background color. When a background color is used in a mug, it will be considered "transparent" in-game, and thus will not show up. While it's not wrong to use pure black/white, it's really not recommended.

- Neck is still patchy from where you tried to remove the color, but didn't clean it up entirely. There should also be shading that follows the rest of the neck, rather than just a blob of white. There's a similar but less noticeable issue on the forehead where you tried to remove the circlet.

Second --

- It's... literally just an Ursula recolor, but with way too many colors and way too high saturation and contrast.

Third --

- It's Saul with a braid. Nothing terribly exciting.

- Way over color count again. There are also quite a few stray colors (rather, it's one stray color that wasn't recolored at all).

OVERALL --

You could be a little more ambitious with splices, as well as maybe work on palettes and color theory, as your palettes are really over saturated. As a general rule, the brighter and darker your colors, the darker your border color should also be - since you tend to use colors in those spectrums, I'd recommend using FE8 border color or something of your own. They're not very exciting, sorry to say, but you're just starting out, so there's plenty of room for improvement.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

You have literally recoloured portraits and copy pasted them onto others without even so much as blending them.Why is Lucius' hair going over Renault's cape? I can still see some of Glenn's neck going OVER Zeis' armour. Lots of big glaring issues like this. Additionally you have blended FE7 and FE8 colours which makes them look weird. Start over.

58 minutes ago, Agro said:

You have literally recoloured portraits and copy pasted them onto others without even so much as blending them.Why is Lucius' hair going over Renault's cape? I can still see some of Glenn's neck going OVER Zeis' armour. Lots of big glaring issues like this. Additionally you have blended FE7 and FE8 colours which makes them look weird. Start over.

Alright, but how would I blend?

Start by copying shading patterns over from the original mugs, and make sure that parts aren't awkwardly cropping out or overlapping each other as they are now. For instance, in the last portrait, the hair should fall behind the cape, not in front.

1 hour ago, Agro said:

Start by copying shading patterns over from the original mugs, and make sure that parts aren't awkwardly cropping out or overlapping each other as they are now. For instance, in the last portrait, the hair should fall behind the cape, not in front.

Alright

Yes the commentary is just to encourage to improve your craft.  Right now I'd say, it's pretty low level.  You're hardly even editing the pieces you're splicing, y'know? Change some more colors, splice different parts of faces instead of just entire ones.  It's best for a splice to look almost original.  Pay attention to the little bits that... make the splice obvious.  It's just very clear where you cut off pieces of other faces and stuck it on another without... fusing it together.

23 hours ago, Yoshthethird said:

Yes the commentary is just to encourage to improve your craft.  Right now I'd say, it's pretty low level.  You're hardly even editing the pieces you're splicing, y'know? Change some more colors, splice different parts of faces instead of just entire ones.  It's best for a splice to look almost original.  Pay attention to the little bits that... make the splice obvious.  It's just very clear where you cut off pieces of other faces and stuck it on another without... fusing it together.

I'll try. I was trying to put Hector's eyes on someone but it didn't look right

On June 3, 2017 at 4:00 PM, Jaoenkatsu said:

Everyone's harsh on you because they want to help you get better. Baby steps my friend :)

Ok!

• 2 weeks later...

I did it. I compiled all of my sprites together. These are all of the sprites that I don't feel guilty showing off minus tests to date. Some good, some recolors to test pallates (which will be getting redone sprites once I have finalized designs), Some badly put together, Others random. 

Blue: Titanium Soul Characters (some might be shoved off to other works to avoid crowding. 

Green: Various

Among the various: GBA Anthony, Unnamed sprites, An attempt at an NES sprite (despite being a recolor), Shyren + color pallate, Franz with his older brother's armor color. 

ALL SPRITES 6.14.png

• 1 month later...

I'm not going to critique these new guys specifically, but I'll use them as an example as they're fairly emblematic of a common problem in your work. You seem to only be using base character sprites like a character customizer, taking hairs, faces, pieces of clothing as they are, and sticking them together. Your 3rd sprite for example, it's painfully obvious it's just Vaida with Fir's ponytail and Garret's shoulder armor. You'll get much better results if you take it further. Don't feel tied to a single piece, and don't be afraid to make minor corrections. Here's a visual example made by Toaomr in case I didn't explain that very well.

UUDycMq.png

9 hours ago, Zelkami said:

I'm not going to critique these new guys specifically, but I'll use them as an example as they're fairly emblematic of a common problem in your work. You seem to only be using base character sprites like a character customizer, taking hairs, faces, pieces of clothing as they are, and sticking them together. Your 3rd sprite for example, it's painfully obvious it's just Vaida with Fir's ponytail and Garret's shoulder armor. You'll get much better results if you take it further. Don't feel tied to a single piece, and don't be afraid to make minor corrections. Here's a visual example made by Toaomr in case I didn't explain that very well.

UUDycMq.png

Alright.