No Shave November

Rezzy

Are any guys here participating in no shave November to raise awareness for prostate cancer and male health? Thankfully, I haven't lost any relatives to prostate cancer, but it is very common and is easily treated if caught early. I'll have you know that I am proficient in examining for it.

I would love to hear stories and see beards!

I would like to but since I don't have any hair on my face and I need to look clean for my entrance ceremony for my fraternity.

I'll start after my iniation

Good luck with your hazing/pledging.

I have been growing this since october so not really...?

I did do this in the past though. I tried raising money through movember website in the past. Wasn't very successful though.

Edited by SlayerX

I usually let my beard grow out for like two weeks before I shave it [except my stache, which looks hideos if I don't get rid of it after 3 days max] so I'll likely end up only shaving once in november anyway. Not that I particularly care about the whole no shave november thing.

I trimmed my beard over the weekend because it starts getting prickly and itchy past 3 weeks. i had already been growing it since late October, though. Not gonna trim it again until December, for sure.

I knew about getting a haircut for cancer reaseach or something like that but not this one.

But unfortunately, not only does this concept probably doesn't exist here, I can barely go 1 week before having the urge to shave my face (and it's not even a beard).

Edited by Nym

I feel like I might just donate and send out some info links. I understand what you guys are trying to do, I just can't for the life of me figure out how refusing to shave for a month helps to raise awareness about prostate cancer. This is coming from someone who lost his grandfather to prostate cancer.

Edited by UNLEASH IT

Are any guys here participating in no shave November to raise awareness for prostate cancer and male health? Thankfully, I haven't lost any relatives to prostate cancer, but it is very common and is easily treated if caught early.

Huh? Last I checked, prostate cancer was hard to detect and hard to treat because of just where the prostate gland is in the male body (right in the middle of the lower torso). Even surgical procedures are difficult because of that according to what I read. Though this was back in school during sex ed, so... I guess things could've changed with tech.

I've never heard of "no-shave November" though. Interesting.

Edited by Anacybele

It might be too much for me, but I'll try

Never too late!

Already on it! Haven't shaved yet this month!

...In all honesty, I had no idea this was a thing and I'm just lazy. Hopefully, everyone gets the care they need.

I expect pics.

I have been growing this since october so not really...?

I did do this in the past though. I tried raising money through movember website in the past. Wasn't very successful though.

Cool

Didn't know this was a thing, and unfortunately it's too late for me because I shave pretty much every day.

There's still a couple weeks left.

don't forget to donate if you can!

Yes, anyone who can, definitely.

No shave november in high school has permanently scarred my view of facial hair

My high school didn't even allow facial hair, so I was spared the semi-stache, but they'll grow in due time.

I usually let my beard grow out for like two weeks before I shave it [except my stache, which looks hideos if I don't get rid of it after 3 days max] so I'll likely end up only shaving once in november anyway. Not that I particularly care about the whole no shave november thing.

Do you keep your stache full time or keep it shaved always?

I trimmed my beard over the weekend because it starts getting prickly and itchy past 3 weeks. i had already been growing it since late October, though. Not gonna trim it again until December, for sure.

Cool

I knew about getting a haircut for cancer reaseach or something like that but not this one.

But unfortunately, not only does this concept probably doesn't exist here, I can barely go 1 week before having the urge to shave my face (and it's not even a beard).

It's been a thing for the past few years. Sometimes, it's called Movember, too.

I would, but my family absolutely despises any sort of facial or body hair of any sort. The idea of not shaving for a month sounds unthinkable to them.

So I won't be able to participate unfortunately.

Like no body hair at all? Like axillary, pubic, and leg hair, too?

count me in lol

Me, too!

I feel like I might just donate and send out some info links. I understand what you guys are trying to do, I just can't for the life of me figure out how refusing to shave for a month helps to raise awareness about prostate cancer. This is coming from someone who lost his grandfather to prostate cancer.

It's along the same lines as wearing pink for breast cancer or shaving for head to show solidarity for chemo patients.

Huh? Last I checked, prostate cancer was hard to detect and hard to treat because of just where the prostate gland is in the male body (right in the middle of the lower torso). Even surgical procedures are difficult because of that according to what I read. Though this was back in school during sex ed, so... I guess things could've changed with tech.

I've never heard of "no-shave November" though. Interesting.

Prostate cancer has a 95% survival rate after 15 years, if caught early. If not caught before it has spread, the survival rate for 5 years drops to 28%

It's not hard to check for. You just have the doctor insert his/her index finger up the closest orifice and palpate the prostate. You can easily feel the prostate through the walls of the rectum. It should have a homogeneous rubber consistency. If it is hard in spots, that is a sign that further tests are needed. Feel the tip of your nose. That's what a prostate is supposed to feel like.

It's a bit harder to check than breast cancer is, since most guys can examine themselves, but by no means is it too difficult. I've done it tons of times.

Edited by Rezzy

Prostate cancer has a 95% survival rate after 15 years, if caught early. If not caught before it has spread, the survival rate for 5 years drops to 28%

It's not hard to check for. You just have the doctor insert his/her index finger up the closest orifice and palpate the prostate. You can easily feel the prostate through the walls of the rectum. It should have a homogeneous rubber consistency. If it is hard in spots, that is a sign that further tests are needed. Feel the tip of your nose. That's what a prostate is supposed to feel like.

It's a bit harder to check than breast cancer is, since most guys can examine themselves, but by no means is it too difficult. I've done it tons of times.

Oh, I see. I guess I either misunderstood or just read wrong or something.

But...uh, you've examined...a guy's prostate gland? I think that's TMI, Rezzy...

Oh, I see. I guess I either misunderstood or just read wrong or something.

But...uh, you've examined...a guy's prostate gland? I think that's TMI, Rezzy...

Sorry, if it's a little gross, but it's something everyone who goes through med school has to learn to do. And I think talking openly about it will make more guys willing to get tested.

For me, I always saw it merely as another trend that I just so happen to unintentionally follow, out of sometimes being too cheap/lazy to cut my hair, such as right now (the most I ever grow is just a chin strap, and if I do anything to it at all, its shaping, while shaving anything below it) and am literally just now learning its for prostate cancer. I'm with you on this.

... Unless, the advertising was just poor

For me, I always saw it merely as another trend that I just so happen to unintentionally follow, out of sometimes being too cheap/lazy to cut my hair, such as right now (the most I ever grow is just a chin strap, and if I do anything to it at all, its shaping, while shaving anything below it) and am literally just now learning its for prostate cancer. I'm with you on this.

... Unless, the advertising was just poor

It doesn't get the same attention that breast cancer gets, which is unfortunate. The advantages of campaigns like this are raising awareness and donating to research, as stated above.

It doesn't get the same attention that breast cancer gets, which is unfortunate. The advantages of campaigns like this are raising awareness and donating to research, as stated above.

I believe this is because breast cancer is actually something both genders can get, it's just much less common in men. Not to mention that breast cancer can happen at pretty much any age. Prostate cancer is male only and is most common in males in their 20s and 30s. Breast cancer is probably more common in general too, since there's an inherited gene associated with it. I know, because one of the RBs for the Pittsburgh Steelers, DeAngelo Williams, lost his mom and four aunts to the disease and all of them had the gene, he said.

Edited by Anacybele

I believe this is because breast cancer is actually something both genders can get, it's just much less common in men. Not to mention that breast cancer can happen at pretty much any age. Prostate cancer is male only and is most common in males in their 20s and 30s. Breast cancer is probably more common in general too, since there's an inherited gene associated with it. I know, because one of the RBs for the Pittsburgh Steelers, DeAngelo Williams, lost his mom and four aunts to the disease and all of them had the gene, he said.

Are you sure about that? Because I've never heard of that affecting a man before.

I think Rezzy may have the answer but I doubt this.

I'll try not to come off poorly here, but I think this is a sign that we need to talk more about prostate cancer.

Breast cancer awareness is great nowadays, and rightfully so. It can be seen in men, but is extremely rare. I don't mean to make this a men vs women issue, because it isn't. We should all be supporting each other. And there's enough love to go around for both issues. I don't mean to downplay breast cancer by talking about prostate (or testicular) cancer. I had to go visit a doctor in the past for it before, actually, since I did a self exam and found a lump.

Prostate cancer is actually more common than people think. 1 out of 7 men will get prostate cancer in their lifetime. It's rare before 40 and the mean age of diagnosis is 66. I think you may be thinking of testicular cancer by being the one more common in young men.

Hopefully, I don't come across as a know-it-all, but medicine is my forte, and I'm happy to teach people about the basics.

It's along the same lines as wearing pink for breast cancer or shaving for head to show solidarity for chemo patients.

Yes, those are nice gestures, but what do they actually do for these people? Rezzy, I'm sorry, because I know I'm ruining the mood of this thread and Eclipse,let me know again if I'm overstepping my boundaries here but I feel like less focus needs to placed on the gestures we do and more on addressing the causes of the problem and trying to solve it. Like, in the case of prostate cancer, Rezzy herself said that it's easy to deal with if seen early but why is it still one of the leading causes of cancer related deaths for men the US? Why are men so hesitant to bring themselves to get examined for something that, if left unchecked, can kill them? I'm making the assumption here that men are insecure with letting someone insert a finger up their anus, regardless of the gender of the person doing the examination. If this is true, then something needs to be done to remove the stigma associated with this. I remember when Res was talking about the concept of toxic masculinity and while I have some disagreements on the concept, I feel like this is a very real and life-threatening example of it.

Again, I apologize for doing this. But this happened to someone close to me.

Eclipse, I've probably been trying your patience over the past few days and if you feel like you need to give me a warning for doing this, you're justified in doing so.

Edit: And now I just saw all the posts that Rezzy made while I was typing this and I feel like a fucking idiot.

Edited by UNLEASH IT