What Was Sephiran Doing In A Prison In Crimea?

Jotari

So despite playing Radiant Dawn first and knowing Sephiran's true motivations, I don't think I ever questioned why we meet Sephiran where we do in Path of Radiance. Did the all mighty ancient super spell caster really get jumped by a bunch of Daein mooks and thrown in prison? Or was meeting Ike there all part of his master plan or something?

Edited by Jotari

It was either part of his plan or he decided he'd rather let himself be captured than potentially expose himself by using his magic to escape. These are the only ideas that make sense to me.

Sephiran's whole purpose for being in western Crimea at that time would have been to ensure that the Black Knight (and by extension, the Daein soldiers subordinate to him) would not interfere with Elincia's escape. And as shown at the end of chapter 11, that's exactly what he did.

That doesn't really explain why he was in that dungeon in chapter 10, though. Maybe he made a lucky guess that Ike would stage a jailbreak. I can't see how he could have been thrown into that cell against his will.

Then again, maybe he was. Maybe Daein just got "lucky."

Edited by Paper Jam

Well, Sephiran himself says he was jailed for tending to wounded Crimean Knights.

Though considering this is Sephiran we're talking about, this just leads to more questions. Is it true? If so, was it deliberate then? Was it a gamble to meet Ike in the prison, or staged? Ike is only there since Ranulf mentions he was informed imprisoned Crimean Knights were there, but we never know from who or how. Did he had a hand in that?

Well, who knows.

My guess is he was observing the situation personally, decided on a whim to help out some wounded and got arrested and was just sitting there waiting for some superior officer in the Daein army to show up [most likely BK] and recognize him then let him out.

He probably could have just nuked the guys who arrested him, but that would just drag his own nation into the war prematurely.

I believe he was captured by Daein soldiers because he was caught tending to wounded Crimeans.

I don't remember the exact conversation, but I do think Tibarn told Reyson he can't/shouldn't harm people because he's a heron, like it was a moral code or something. Maybe Sephiran's lack of resistance has something to do with that?

Edited by Yedknowsall

Brom and Nephenee confirm Sephiran's story after the chapter as well, so we know he's telling the truth about that. Sanaki later claims in Chapter 14 that Sephiran was traveling to different countries to see how the people were living, however it is almost certain he was using this time to also work with Zelgius and advance his plans for Ashnard and the medallion.

Interestingly, he does claim that he was going to be executed the next day if he hadn't been rescued, which makes me wonder what his plan would have been if Ike had not arrived. Perhaps he had some warp powder on him as well? He's likely the one who gave it to Zelgius in the first place, after all. Or maybe he would have simply accepted dying here, despite not quite having achieved his goal. He would not have been able to bring himself to commit suicide, and his whole plan was basically a giant 'suicide-by-cop' ploy anyway.

Brom and Nephenee confirm Sephiran's story after the chapter as well, so we know he's telling the truth about that. Sanaki later claims in Chapter 14 that Sephiran was traveling to different countries to see how the people were living, however it is almost certain he was using this time to also work with Zelgius and advance his plans for Ashnard and the medallion.

Interestingly, he does claim that he was going to be executed the next day if he hadn't been rescued, which makes me wonder what his plan would have been if Ike had not arrived. Perhaps he had some warp powder on him as well? He's likely the one who gave it to Zelgius in the first place, after all. Or maybe he would have simply accepted dying here, despite not quite having achieved his goal. He would not have been able to bring himself to commit suicide, and his whole plan was basically a giant 'suicide-by-cop' ploy anyway.

Sehpiran's comments in Radiant Dawn lead me to believe he can't be killed by anything short of Yune's blessing. Remember he does have mantle in Path of Radiance too.

So let's say that no one comes to free the prisoners, and the guards attempt to execute Sephiran. Would their weapons bounce off of him?

Otherwise, I think he would've used some warp powder to get out of there, because he'd have a lot of explaining to do otherwise.

Sehpiran's comments in Radiant Dawn lead me to believe he can't be killed by anything short of Yune's blessing. Remember he does have mantle in Path of Radiance too.

Right. I had totally forgotten he has Ashera's blessing, too.

I suppose given the fact that he's telling the truth this development speaks volumes about his character. I guess it was implied in the original game given his highly inflated stats but knowing what you do in Radiant Dawn it does add another level. He was captured but by his very nature he's just so peaceful that he refused to resist even though he easily could have (and a little bit more chaos probably would have helped, Begnion being involved in the war would not be at all disfavourable for him). It's part of why I like him so much as a villain. His intentions are definitely wrong and destructive yet he has so much compassion and love for life that almost every other villain I can think of completely lacks. Just makes his despair all the more poignant.

I believe he was captured by Daein soldiers because he was caught tending to wounded Crimeans.

I don't remember the exact conversation, but I do think Tibarn told Reyson he can't/shouldn't harm people because he's a heron, like it was a moral code or something. Maybe Sephiran's lack of resistance has something to do with that?

Sephiran clearly has no qualms with using light magic to fight in FE10 though, I always assumed he lost his connection to that moral code as you put it alongside his powers after Altina gave birth.